Revisiting Iglesias--and MIddlebrooks and Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Revisiting Iglesias--and MIddlebrooks and Drew

As soon as I heard about the trade for Peavy, I was mad.  Like almost all Sox fans, I love the way Iglesias plays defense and don't much care about his offensive output.

But in the FO's defense, Iglesias in July wasn't quite the Iglesias of April-June because in July his OPS was .464, which is pretty low.  He's doing better in August for Detroit, but it's still under .600.  Meanwhile Drew and Middlebrooks--very small statstical sample for Middlebrooks, I agree--have OPS's for August of right around 1.000.  Both are also decent fielders if not on a par with the amazing Iglesias.

My point is that trading Iglesias for Peavy just might have improved both the rotation and the lineup (the hitting) for the Sox, and we haven't even seen Bogaerts yet.  And I think most of us agree the rotation and the lineup both needed a pick-up, one way or another. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Revisiting Iglesias--and MIddlebrooks and Drew

I completely believe we will be seeing this type of thread for possibly the next 15yrs

Revisiting Iglesias--XXXXXXXXXXXXX

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Trading a good fielding SS for a good starting pitcher is always a win for the team that gets the pitcher in my opinion.

The Red Sox have good, young depth at the SS position and have Drew for the rest of this season who has been very good on defense and also has started to hit better in the last month.

I also liked Iglesias, but his hitting is always going to be a concern and you have to have a lineup filled with power to cover for him.  Detroit thinks that they have such a lineup and the Sox do not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Trading for a good starting pitcher is a relative statement.

How do you define "good?"

Peavy is an "average" starting pitcher. He is 32 years old. They own him through next season, then will have to make a decision on a 34 year old starter. Where as with Iglesias, they would have had a promising prospect who over acheived in his debut....and a much younger player.

My take is that Peavy is a player for "now", while Iglesias is a player for "later."

Simply put , if the Red Sox fall flat and either do not make the playoffs, or if they lose a one game playoff, or if they fail to advance to , at least , the ALCS...then they blew it. The only way the Peavy trade is a success if if the team makes some postseason noise, this year or next, preferably this year.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why everyone keep looking at Iggy?   Since he was traded to Detriot, his average as a Tiger member is .244, scored only two runs and only have three RBI's compare to Drew hitting .354 since Iggy is traded along with 8 runs and 8 RBI's.  All of Iggy's hits are all single except one which it is a HR.

Basically he is doing nothing offensively for the Tigers.  Lucky he is playing alot cuz Tigers scoring alot by using other guys!!

Peavy came to Boston to replace Bucholtz and helping the team to get into the playoff!!!

I do like the trade!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Peavy is an "average" starting pitcher. He is 32 years old. They own him through next season, then will have to make a decision on a 34 year old starter. Where as with Iglesias, they would have had a promising prospect who over acheived in his debut....and a much younger player.

My take is that Peavy is a player for "now", while Iglesias is a player for "later."

Simply put , if the Red Sox fall flat and either do not make the playoffs, or if they lose a one game playoff, or if they fail to advance to , at least , the ALCS...then they blew it. The only way the Peavy trade is a success if if the team makes some postseason noise, this year or next, preferably this year.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

If they fall flat, do you really think it will be because they didnt have Iglesias? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

[QUOTE]

If they fall flat, do you really think it will be because they didnt have Iglesias? 

[/QUOTE]

If peavy has good numbers with Boston at the end of the year and they dont win it all, is it still a failure? Afterall, Peavy would have done his part.

The trade filled a need for every team. It didnt hurt Boston for the future as some here are being a bit overly dramatic about. Bogaerts is about ready at AAA and Marerro is at AA. I enjoyed Iggys defense like everyone else. He was expendable here. Thats just a fact.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrogdorZing. Show TrogdorZing's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Why everyone keep looking at Iggy?   Since he was traded to Detriot, his average as a Tiger member is .244, scored only two runs and only have three RBI's compare to Drew hitting .354 since Iggy is traded along with 8 runs and 8 RBI's.  All of Iggy's hits are all single except one which it is a HR.

Basically he is doing nothing offensively for the Tigers.  Lucky he is playing alot cuz Tigers scoring alot by using other guys!!

Peavy came to Boston to replace Bucholtz and helping the team to get into the playoff!!!

I do like the trade!!

Thank you. I feel like the Iggy's hype has gotten ridiculous. People see 120 at bat sample as what he is and not the anomaly it is compared to the rest of his career...

I wouldn't mind his awful bat in the lineup with his glove but people need to stop kidding themselves here.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts