Revisiting the big trade....Dodger/Sox....how are some of those guys doing?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Revisiting the big trade....Dodger/Sox....how are some of those guys doing?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

[QUOTE]

I never understood how a baseball fan could love this trade.  Whatever else you want to say about Gonzalez, during the time he was with the team, he was the best position player on the Red Sox roster - period.   I can channel my inner accountant and understand why this was a good move for a team that wants to stay under the luxury tax threshold, but I've never understood how anybody as a fan could celebrate losing their best hitter.  Why don't I see any  Pedroia & Hanrahan for cash suggestions on the trade proposals thread?

In a sense, we traded AGon for

Webster, DLR, Holt...

and...

Dempster, Victorino, Papi, Drew, Gomes

and...

$131M to spend on FAs from 2014 to 2017....

We still have this to spend to even up the trade:

$9M  2014

$35M 2015

$35M 2016

$21M 2017

That's $100M...

enough to sign a guy like....

...AGon!

[/QUOTE]

The only guy in Gonzalez's class in 2014 is Cano.  How about we trade Pedroia for prospects and go hard after Cano in the off-season.  It makes business sense, but as a Red Sox fan, it's offensive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

I never understood how a baseball fan could love this trade.  Whatever else you want to say about Gonzalez, during the time he was with the team, he was the best position player on the Red Sox roster - period.   I can channel my inner accountant and understand why this was a good move for a team that wants to stay under the luxury tax threshold, but I've never understood how anybody as a fan could celebrate losing their best hitter.  Why don't I see any  Pedroia & Hanrahan for cash suggestions on the trade proposals thread?

Gonzalez was solid.  But not unreplacable in the lineup (as is being proven this season), and, at a whopping $22 mil per year, solid is not what you are hoping to get.  I think his stellar play at first is the aspect of Adrian missed most.  I loved Adrian when the Sox signed him, was on that Get Adrian train for years prior to his acquisition, and I thought he was good for the Sox.  But, I think we might be looking at him for what we wanted him to be, and not what he was, in order for us to think of him as so crucial it would be a travesty to give him up.  

I think it was well worth the money laid out for year one of his Mega-Contract, as his legacy of getting Papi (and others) to use all fields is still of great value to the club even without his presence on the roster.  But, c'mon, Adrian is a very very good player.  And, yes, I was very dissapointed to see him go.  But I was hardly devastated.  As a baseball fan, I hate to see good players go, but when a stagnant, disjointed, shallow club can be retooled with a trade like that, as a baseball fan, I like it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No. AGon is and was awesome. Only posters like you wanted 30+ out of him. 

For $22M, I see nothing wrong with expecting 30+ Hrs and 120+ RBIs.

I liked AGon as much or more as anyone else, but the 1B position is stacked with good to great hitters. It does not cost much to get a 1Bman slightly worse than AGon. The money saved can be used to upgrade several other positions that are not stacked with talent.

You may not like the WAR metric, but right now AGon is rated #12 out of 30 1Bmen in MLB and Napoli is #9. I know AGon is a great fielding 1Bman, but he places 9th in 1Bman OPS this year at .815. An .815 OPs is not $22M territory, but the sample size is small. (BTW, the 15th best 1Bman's OPS is .778 and the 21st is .752...not that far behind .815. Let's widen the sample:

Since 2011...

OPS

1) Miggy 1.042

2) Votto    .977

3) Prince  .935

4) C Davis .895

5) Napoli   .889

6) Encarn. .874

7) A Craig .873

8) Goldsch. .871

9) AGon     .870

15) Swisher .813

20) Trumbo  .789

25) Moreland .773

30) Loney      .730

AGon only beats the 25th best 1Bman in MLB by about 100 points. Is that worth $22M?

He does rate 3rd in WAR at 10.7, but #15 Chris Davis at 6.1 and #24 is at 3.0. 1B is a loaded position.

From 2009-2013, AGon ranks 4th in WAR at 21.3, Napoli is 7th at 13.9, Cuddyer is 15th at 7.9, and number 27 is still at 5.0. No other position has those numbers near the bottom.

2009-2013 OPS at 1B:

5) AGon  .896

12) Napoli .854

20) Cuddyer .825

25) LaRoche .803

30) Trumbo  .783

I do not think it is asking too much to expect a guy making $22M a year to be the best at his position... maybe 2nd best. 3rd best is pushing it. 5th best and only 50 points higher in OPS than Napoli is just not cutting it.

Sure, I'd much rather have AGon than Napoli or Cuddyer, or all but about 6-7 other 1Bmen, but that is not $22M territory.

Sox4ever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Knowing what we know now, what MLB GM would not trade AGon for:

6 years of Webster

6 years of DLR

5 years of Holt

3 years of Victorino

2 years of Dempster

2 years of Papi

2 years of Gomes

1 year of Drew or 2 years of Ross

and  $131M more to spend on FAs from 2014 to 2017?

It was a fantastic trade for the Sox. It's so clearly fantastic.

Sox4ever