Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado

Carfado says that the Sox should go and get Jose Reyes now for SS, and give up top prospects to do it.

He then says it would be worth it, even if Reyes is only a 2 month rental, and should include Ingleis in the trade and possibly Reddick.

Also he says the Sox the will have the money to pay Reyes because Cameron, Scurato, Drew and possibly Papelbon will come off the books. We must remember that Gonzalez will make 15 million more starting next year and the Sox will have to take care of Ellsbury[and Boras is probably gushing thinking about Ellsbury's worth, espically after this year].

So would it be worth getting Reyes, and if the Sox did acquire him, wouldn't they want assurances that Reyes would sign a long term contract? Also Reyes has[had] leg problems, so that has to be considered.

I would like to see Reyes in Boston, but seriously doubt that it will happen.

Any thoughts or idea's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Re: Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado

In Response to Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado:
    [QUOTE]Carfado says that the Sox should go and get Jose Reyes now for SS, and give up top prospects to do it. He then says it would be worth it, even if Reyes is only a 2 month rental, and should include Ingleis in the trade and possibly Reddick. Also he says the Sox the will have the money to pay Reyes because Cameron, Scurato, Drew and possibly Papelbon will come off the books. We must remember that Gonzalez will make 15 million more starting next year and the Sox will have to take care of Ellsbury[and Boras is probably gushing thinking about Ellsbury's worth, espically after this year]. So would it be worth getting Reyes, and if the Sox did acquire him, wouldn't they want assurances that Reyes would sign a long term contract? Also Reyes has[had] leg problems, so that has to be considered. I would like to see Reyes in Boston, but seriously doubt that it will happen. Any thoughts or idea's.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

Didn't read the article, but decent prospects for a 2-month rental doesn't make sense to me (unless they could "wink, wink" an agreement to extend him).  Even then, I'm not sure it's that good a deal.  Hey, Reyes is the bomb....when he's not hurt.  His injury history kind of scares me.  If we spend money coming off the books this off season wisely, Inglesis should be fine at SS even if he doesn't hit much.  I'd keep the kids and look for an impact right-handed bat that we'd have under control for more than 2 months, even if it takes the off season to get one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Carfado says that the Sox should go and get Jose Reyes now for SS, and give up top prospects to do it. He then says it would be worth it, even if Reyes is only a 2 month rental, and should include Ingleis in the trade and possibly Reddick. Also he says the Sox the will have the money to pay Reyes because Cameron, Scurato, Drew and possibly Papelbon will come off the books. We must remember that Gonzalez will make 15 million more starting next year and the Sox will have to take care of Ellsbury[and Boras is probably gushing thinking about Ellsbury's worth, espically after this year]. So would it be worth getting Reyes, and if the Sox did acquire him, wouldn't they want assurances that Reyes would sign a long term contract? Also Reyes has[had] leg problems, so that has to be considered. I would like to see Reyes in Boston, but seriously doubt that it will happen. Any thoughts or idea's.

Peanut,

I usually like Nick's writing.

I am nervous about Reyes for one reason.  INJURY.

He seems frail to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The way I see it we need a SS or a SP,
    maybe both but I don't see it happening.  Otherwise we may have to rest our faith in guys like Lowrie, Igleasias, Miller, Weiland and Lackey moving forward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

In Response to Re: Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado : Didn't read the article, but decent prospects for a 2-month rental doesn't make sense to me (unless they could "wink, wink" an agreement to extend him).  Even then, I'm not sure it's that good a deal.  Hey, Reyes is the bomb....when he's not hurt.  His injury history kind of scares me.  If we spend money coming off the books this off season wisely, Inglesis should be fine at SS even if he doesn't hit much.  I'd keep the kids and look for an impact right-handed bat that we'd have under control for more than 2 months, even if it takes the off season to get one.
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]

He's struggling to hit .227 in AAA. Very unlikely that he will hit enough to be a starter in the bigs next year no matter how good his glove is.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]2 weeks of crazy trade proposals, should be intresting, and usually funny.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Should be interesting but I would love to see Theo grab a SS or SP.  If we did this I believe we could live with Reddick or Kalish next season in RF.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado : He's struggling to hit .227 in AAA. Very unlikely that he will hit enough to be a starter in the bigs next year no matter how good his glove is.
    Posted by The--Babe--[/QUOTE]

You may very well be correct with respect to him maturing (hitting) enough to be called up next year, but he's still young and has a ton of defensive potential.  I think fans have been spoiled over the past decade or so with great hitting shortstops - didn't use to be like that.  But within the construct of an american league line-up, particularly a line up like ours (high OBPs, several great hitters) around him, he'd not hurt us too badly in the nine-hole as long as he playes great defense.  And who knows, he may very well mature into an average or better-than-average bat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Carfado has just jumped the shark

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I don't like the Reyes deal. First, his injury history and is in fact on the DL right now. Second, signing him long terms seems unlikely, meaning he would be a two month rental and finally we would certainly have to give up some solid prospects. I truly hope this one does not come to fruition.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like the Reyes deal. First, his injury history and is in fact on the DL right now. Second, signing him long terms seems unlikely, meaning he would be a two month rental and finally we would certainly have to give up some solid prospects. I truly hope this one does not come to fruition.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what Theo is planning sindarin.  I do hope we won't need to work a RF and SS like Reddick or Igleasias into the lineup at the same time next season.

An upgrade at SP and SS or RF would be nice.  Can you imagine Reyes, Crawford and Ells on the same team?  Getting Reyes would also give us a good young team primarily made up of players entering or in their prime years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado : You may very well be correct with respect to him maturing (hitting) enough to be called up next year, but he's still young and has a ton of defensive potential.  I think fans have been spoiled over the past decade or so with great hitting shortstops - didn't use to be like that.  But within the construct of an american league line-up, particularly a line up like ours (high OBPs, several great hitters) around him, he'd not hurt us too badly in the nine-hole as long as he playes great defense.  And who knows, he may very well mature into an average or better-than-average bat.
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]

Agreed that with the sawx lineup you could have a weak hitting shortstop but not a black hole. Now granted, he is young and can still develop, but I don't think anyone expects him to become a "better than average bat". But, then again, suprises do happen. It's why they are called prospects.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like the Reyes deal. First, his injury history and is in fact on the DL right now. Second, signing him long terms seems unlikely, meaning he would be a two month rental and finally we would certainly have to give up some solid prospects. I truly hope this one does not come to fruition.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%...Theo should stay away from this one.

Injury history + short term rental = Bad Deal

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

That's some weak, weak sauce by Carfado. I love how all of a sudden the Sox have all kinds of "top prospects." Sure we do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

reyes would bring two draft picks next june so depending upon who has to be in a deal for him he could be a good pickup for the strecth run. 

i would not give up larvarnway, middlebrooks or one of the top pitchers, but everyone else could be considered if reyes returns to health coming off the DL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Here is the link to the Nick Cafardo column:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/07/17/time_for_red_sox_to_go_and_get_this_met/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]reyes would bring two draft picks next june so depending upon who has to be in a deal for him he could be a good pickup for the strecth run.  i would not give up larvarnway, middlebrooks or one of the top pitchers, but everyone else could be considered if reyes returns to health coming off the DL.
    Posted by therimrattler[/QUOTE]

No, that depends on what happens with the next CBA.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we could deal Scutaro (to a 3rd party) maybe a deal would be worth exploring. I wouldn't give Iglesias and Reddick for 2 months of Reyes, but the way Reyes is hitting, (if he stays healthy) he could bring us a ring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

The Red Sox don't have as much money to toss around as people think. (In some sense they already blew their wad with the Gonzalez and Crawford acquisitions.)

According to Cot's Contracts, they already have $127M committed to Beckett, Lackey, Crawford, Youkilis, Matsuzaka, Gonzalez, Jenks, Lester, Pedroia, Buchholz, Iglesias, and Scutaro ($1.5M buyout).

Add another $4.5M if they exercise Scutaro's $6M option, as well as arbitration salaries for Ellsbury, Albers, Salty, Aceves, Bard, McDonald, Lowrie, and Morales. Could easily be looking at $15M-$20M for those players, even if a couple are cut.

On top of that they need to resign or replace Ortiz, Drew, Papelbon, Wheeler (option), Varitek, and Wakefield.

Many decisions to be made, but my guess is that they have no more than $25M to spend on free agents this year. If Ortiz stays, that preculdes any further major signings. Very hard to imagine keeping Reyes *and* Ortiz within their budget, especially if some of the cheap players they are counting on elsewhere (e.g. Reddick) are traded to acquire Reyes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"If we could deal Scutaro maybe a deal would be worth exploring."

Wouldn't think that would be difficult. He's a solid player, defensively versatile, and not too expensive.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I don't like it, either. It would be worth discussing if not for the fact that he would be a mere rental, not to mention the injury issue. The way Reddick has played should make the Sox very selective about including him in trade deals.

We won in '07 with a very marginal shortstop and in '04 with a rental (who I wish we had kept, but I digress).

As for Iglesias, he's not ready yet. But he has promise. I'm not concerned about his hitting ... he's only 21.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

'If' the pitchers can return to form.  Doesn't that shout Starting Pitching to anyone?

Lester has been good, but there's something off this year.
    Bucholz not returning for at least a month.
    Dice is gone.
    Lackey average.
    Wakefield average.
    Beckett is the only star and is an injury waiting in the wings.

No thanks on a shortstop.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Red Sox don't need a shortstop. Jose Iglesias may not be ready, but Yamaico Navarro is a near equal on defense and solid on offense. Marco Scutaro isn't as terrible as advertised either. He's a tough, gritty veteran who plays hurt and generally doesn't embarrass you with the stick or the glove. I know he had a brutal defensive inning yesterday, however everyone is entitled to a bad game once in awhile. I say stick with Scutaro and Navarro for this year, maybe Lowrie if he ever returns. Even Sutton looks pretty decent in limited playing time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Get a right fielder who bats from the right side of the plate, with power.

Everything else is ancillary.

They're "good enough" at shortstop to get by. Even if Buchholz doesn't return for awhile, Lester, Beckett, Lackey and Wakefield are, again, "good enough" as a Front 4 of the rotation as long as they keep scoring runs--a situation that would continue unabated if they solve the problem in right field with a right-handed power bat (actually, it solves two problems: right field and their vulnerability against quality left-handed pitching because of the current, heavy LH lean of the lineup).

In the post-season most teams ride two starting pitchers anyway. The 2004 Sox rode Schilling and Pedro, and got a shocking, unexpected assist from Derek Lowe. In 2007, they rode Schilling and Beckett, and got a couple of decent starts out of Dice-K. And so having Beckett/Lester as their only "reliable" starters in October is not necessarily a problem, especially given Lackey's wealth of post-season experience, which could be valuable at that time of the year.

Get a RH bat with power to play right field, and the team is all set IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts