Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

Re: Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado

In Response to Re: Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado : Agree 100%...Theo should stay away from this one. Injury history + short term rental = Bad Deal
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

Wrong.  It would be risky for a long term deal but his injury history should favor a short term deal.  Reyes is playing for a FA contract so he'll be back and look to do big things.  Short of one of his legs falling off he'll will likely have a very big second half.  Ingleis is a prototypical light hitting SS that is probably better suited for the NL.

Short term , as in a push for the playoffs, it is a plus for the RS. Long term probably not a good idea.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Sox solutions...

1.) Trade for Garza... who knows when Buch will be back, Miller may be fool's gold and John "The BullDog" Lackey is a NL Central pitcher.
    2.) Whether it's Iglesias or a trade for a light hitting SS... put a stud defender there. Scutaro almost blew that game and his arm is dead. I understand O Cabrera also hit, but soon as he arrived in Boston in 2004 the defense and pitching improved.
    3.) I love Reddick and I would have an all LH hitting outfield vs righties. That being said we need a RH hitting RF and maybe even a RH pinch hitter for playoffs.

The main reason we are only one up on Yanks is horrible 4 and 5 starters... rectify that first and the team will be unstoppable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]Sox solutions... 1.) Trade for Garza... who knows when Buch will be back, Miller may be fool's gold and John "The BullDog" Lackey is a NL Central pitcher. 2.) Whether it's Iglesias or a trade for a light hitting SS... put a stud defender there. Scutaro almost blew that game and his arm is dead. I understand O Cabrera also hit, but soon as he arrived in Boston in 2004 the defense and pitching improved. 3.) I love Reddick and I would have an all LH hitting outfield vs righties. That being said we need a RH hitting RF and maybe even a RH pinch hitter for playoffs. The main reason we are only one up on Yanks is horrible 4 and 5 starters... rectify that first and the team will be unstoppable.
    Posted by Wolfpack13[/QUOTE]

Geez....and if the Yanks had gottenbetter performance out of Hughes and Nova earlier in the year they would be a few games up.

You can apply this to a lot of teams. If the rays had only had a few better hitters in their lineup......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56beacon. Show 56beacon's posts

Obviously Reyes is an excellent ball player, but as others have said injuries could be an issue. Can't pay that kind of $$ and the prospects to get him, with no guarantee of signing him long term. Let's not forget Yamaico Navarro could be your SS. Good strong arm and has potential not yet seen. I would rather see them pursue someone like Hunter Pence for long term RF, check his carrer stats they look good. JD is done as a Red Sox after this year. His salary could go to Pence. I don't think you strip the farm to get him, but it will cost you some potential. Pence is a proven player, and provides a bag full of useful tools. He's only 28 as well.

Your Comments Welcome

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"The main reason we are only one up on Yanks is horrible 4 and 5 starters... rectify that first and the team will be unstoppable."

Really? Beckett, Lester, and Buchholz have started 49 games of which the Red Sox have won 32 (.653 W%). The rest have started 43 games of which the Sox have won 24 (.558 W%). How many teams have a .558 winning percentage behind their #4, #5, #6, #7, and #8 starters? (Weiland is actually their ninth starter this season.)

I do have some misgivings about their ability to continue winning with this mix-and-match rotation, especially with Buchholz out for a while longer, but they've had excellent results from the back end of their rotation (admittedly with lots of help from the offense and bullpen). Depth hasn't yet been an issue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Cafardo is an idiot.  They don't have the money to break bank on an injury prone SS that's having a contract year.  Ellsbury may be the priority after this season.  Besides, the Sox already invested in Iglesias.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Not worth giving up top prospects for a two-month rental of Reyes. 

That's like giving away your BMW and Audi for renting a Bentley for two months. 

Boston needs help in pitching.  Their hitting is fine. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado:
    [QUOTE]Carfado says that the Sox should go and get Jose Reyes now for SS, and give up top prospects to do it. He then says it would be worth it, even if Reyes is only a 2 month rental, and should include Ingleis in the trade and possibly Reddick. Also he says the Sox the will have the money to pay Reyes because Cameron, Scurato, Drew and possibly Papelbon will come off the books. We must remember that Gonzalez will make 15 million more starting next year and the Sox will have to take care of Ellsbury[and Boras is probably gushing thinking about Ellsbury's worth, espically after this year]. So would it be worth getting Reyes, and if the Sox did acquire him, wouldn't they want assurances that Reyes would sign a long term contract? Also Reyes has[had] leg problems, so that has to be considered. I would like to see Reyes in Boston, but seriously doubt that it will happen. Any thoughts or idea's.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]   REYES IS OVERRATED & OVER PAID......  WE DO NOT NEED ANY OF THE  NEW YORK DYSFUNCTIONAL SPIRITS ON OUR BELOVED RED SOX....... CARFADO NEEDS TO LET THEO TAKE CARE OF THINGS !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado :    REYES IS OVERRATED & OVER PAID......  WE DO NOT NEED ANY OF THE  NEW YORK DYSFUNCTIONAL SPIRITS ON OUR BELOVED RED SOX....... CARFADO NEEDS TO LET THEO TAKE CARE OF THINGS !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

LOL...yeah, because taking care of the SS position has clearly been theo's forte...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

"WE DO NOT NEED ANY OF THE  NEW YORK DYSFUNCTIONAL SPIRITS ON OUR BELOVED RED SOX....... "

You mean like Aceves?  Last night's winng pitcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]" WE DO NOT NEED ANY OF THE  NEW YORK DYSFUNCTIONAL SPIRITS ON OUR BELOVED RED SOX....... " You mean like Aceves?  Last night's winng pitcher.
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]  GOOD ONE, HOWEVER HE WAS ONE OF THEO'S GOOOOOD PROJECTS AND CAME A HECK OF A LOT CHEAPER ($$$$$$) AND WOULD PITCH EVERY DAY..... UNLIKE REYE$ AND HIS CONSTANT  D L STINTS !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Forget Reyes

Too many negatives

Take on $$ now

Give away best prospects

Re-sign him for big $$$?

We need a starter - or a lefty handed reliever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

No way.  If this was more than just a rental, maybe.  But it's got the makings of a bad deal down the road if the Sox give up their prospects for an injury-prone player.

I just think the potential bad outweighs the potential good. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

we should not have to put an all*star at every position, thats how you lose.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

We don't need a SS, we need a RH ORer and another #3 starter. Buchholz is not coming back anytime soon and the RS can't continue this make-shift starting rotation.
    Another BP arm would be helpful as well

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I wouldnt trade for Reyes as a Rental but if you could sign him I would be willing to give up Iglesias and other prospects...The Sox(and a few other teams) have an advantage in ML baseball....a) they can pay over Slot in the draft and get better prospects later and b) if the minor league system is bare in a partcular position when the need arises, they can afford to sign a free agent or take on some contract.....that frees them up to trade prospects when talent is available....and remember prospects are prospects....there are very few who you would say are sure thing All Stars....the Sox current top 5 by SoxProspects.com(not on the ML team currently) are Kalish Ranaudo....Middlebrooks....Iglesias...Lavarnway....which of those would anyone bet are sure All Star players...I think I wouldnt worry about givng up prospects if it can get me a better shot of winning now and the next few years....after that its a crap shoot anyway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I'd trade for him in a second. I don't know who these "can't miss, top prospects are", but Reyes is one of the best SS in the Majors and is leading the NL in hitting. What do we care about the money if there is no salary cap? The Yankees don't!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE] I'd trade for him in a second. I don't know who these "can't miss, top prospects are", but Reyes is one of the best SS in the Majors and is leading the NL in hitting. What do we care about the money if there is no salary cap? The Yankees don't!
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Renteria was one of the best as well.....look how that turned out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

[QUOTE]Get a right fielder who bats from the right side of the plate, with power. Everything else is ancillary. They're "good enough" at shortstop to get by. Even if Buchholz doesn't return for awhile, Lester, Beckett, Lackey and Wakefield are, again, "good enough" as a Front 4 of the rotation as long as they keep scoring runs--a situation that would continue unabated if they solve the problem in right field with a right-handed power bat (actually, it solves two problems: right field and their vulnerability against quality left-handed pitching because of the current, heavy LH lean of the lineup). In the post-season most teams ride two starting pitchers anyway. The 2004 Sox rode Schilling and Pedro, and got a shocking, unexpected assist from Derek Lowe. In 2007, they rode Schilling and Beckett, and got a couple of decent starts out of Dice-K. And so having Beckett/Lester as their only "reliable" starters in October is not necessarily a problem, especially given Lackey's wealth of post-season experience, which could be valuable at that time of the year. Get a RH bat with power to play right field, and the team is all set IMO.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]

They have the best offense.  They have a top defense, despite a lack of range at SS.  They have a middle of the road pitching staff(primarily due to injuries), but plenty of pitching depth in the rotation.  Tough to pinpoint a single weakness to improve on.  SP, SS, RF are the three obvious weaknesses.  Lackey's contract makes him impossible to deal, drew is nearly so...although the expiring contract tempers that some.  Add to that the Sox depth in outfielders in the minors.  Scutaro and Lowrie are both injuried/injury prone, short on range, and just average offensively.  Iglesis is top notch deffensively, but no O to speak of yet, making SS probably the Sox greatest organizational weakness.

Now Reyes is a heck of a young player.  The cost in prospects only makes sence if there was a reasonable chance to extend him.  I would offer iglesis as part of a list of PTBNL, and not allow him to be included unless reyes agreed to an extension, otherwise that player is joe blow from the single A bench.  In addition, I would offer them scutaro, lowrie, drew, reddick, bowden, kalish, anderson, and let them pick at least one of drew and scutaro, and 2 of the others.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reyes to Boston, By Nick Carfado : Renteria was one of the best as well.....look how that turned out
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]
     Some deals work, some don't. Would we have won championships without Damon, Manny, Beckett, Varitek and Schilling? These are guys that we picked up along the way. Reyes would be a terrific upgrade at SS and I'd go for him if he's made available.

Sections
Shortcuts