Reyes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Reyes

Do you really want to spend a 140 million dollars on this guy.  He is often injured.  I would rather sign our draft picks and add depth to the bullpen.  We do need an upgrade at short but not this guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Reyes

forget reyes, we can get prince fielder for less than that. We will be fine at ss with lowrie and iglesias going forward. Ortiz is 35 and its time to sign his long term replacement and prince is the perfect guy for that role. He is young, entering into his prime and would provide the sox with the best 3/4 combo in the league. And he will only cost money and draft picks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In Response to Re: Reyes:
    forget reyes, we can get prince fielder for less than that. We will be fine at ss with lowrie and iglesias going forward. Ortiz is 35 and its time to sign his long term replacement and prince is the perfect guy for that role. He is young, entering into his prime and would provide the sox with the best 3/4 combo in the league. And he will only cost money and draft picks.
    Posted by redsoxpride34

Wait!  Some folks would go bonkers around here because the Sox need a righty!  Too lefty-heavy!  Can't do it! 

Actually, I am not sure Fielder would want to DH.  I thought I read somewhere he would prefer to stay in the field.  One can still salivate though, eh?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

he said during the allstar break that he would be open to being a dh next year. And honestly based on the number of errors he has commited at first, he has dh written all over him. Also, becoming a dh would help prolong his career as he would not be putting as much wear on his body. I honestly could not think of a better replacement for papi than fielder. He is everything papi was in his prime and would give the so a true number 4 hitter. Theo should go hard after him. Sign him for 7 years 17.5 mill per. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

That is way too much money to tie up in the DH spot.  A one-dimensional position does not deserve that much of the pie, and that is why Theo & Co. will not be going after Fielder.  He would be a nice addition to the lineup, no doubt, but don't get your hopes up.  Either resign Ortiz at about $10 mil a year for 2 years plus option, or pick up some cheap options and let them duke it out with Lavarnway in ST to see who DHs.  Preferably any new DH is a righty.

Or, how about resigning Ortiz and then trading Lavarnway, Reddick, Renaudo and another top prospect not named Iglesias or Middlebrooks for Jose Bautista.  He'd make a really good #4 hitter in the lineup, followed by Ortiz at #5.

As for Reyes.  Tempting, but NO!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd rather have had Bay at 4/60, then Ellsbury (if he does in 11/12 what he is doing this year at 7/140 over Cameron at 2/15, Crawford at 7/140 and watching Ellsbury walk.

If we had Bay up after 2013 and replaced cheap we could afford to give Reyes 5/95 or 6/110... but not now.

Yet people forget we have a cheap young SS we already spent 8 million to sign who is supposed to win multiple gold gloves, Reyes has multiple hammy issues at age 27-28.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Isn't Reyes injured again?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Posted by redsoxpride34

Yeah signing Prince would be a real dumb move.  Take the easy way out and just re-sign Ortiz for the next 2 seasons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Isn't Reyes injured again?
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Yes he is Kim..Its nonsense to offer a contract to someone who has a serious injury history like Reyes does..way too risky IMO...Its his hammy...AGAIN!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Reyes:
    Do you really want to spend a 140 million dollars on this guy.  He is often injured.  I would rather sign our draft picks and add depth to the bullpen.  We do need an upgrade at short but not this guy.
    Posted by bigdog1

Theo won't go after Reyes, although "if healthy" I can't even imagine what our offense could accomplish with Jose on the club.  He really is a great talent but I don't even think the Yankees will go after him unless they are comfortable with Jeter at DH.  I see the Yanks trying to pursuade Albert of Fielder to be their DH, or possibly trying to trade for Kemp in the off season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Reyes is "damaged goods" he's out for the second time this year with the same hamstring that he had surgery on either last year or the year before, suggesting that it's a chronic condition. Healthy he's a game changer, his best play might be to re-up with the Mets on a 2 or 3 year deal with an opt out clause and keep his fingers crossed that he can play 150 games and finish strong...

Fielder is probably going to get big money so I don't see him as a viable option and word on the street is the Cub's are gonna go all in to sign him and there's also reports that the Mariners wil make a run at him...I'd place the odds as high that Puljos will re-sign with Cards when all is said and done.

Bottom line is I doubt the Sox will sign another 20M per position player, they've got to many holes to fill in 2012. The guy I think they'll make a strong run at is Cuddeyar...

Sections
Shortcuts