RF OPTIONS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncsoxfan4life. Show ncsoxfan4life's posts

RF OPTIONS?

WHY TRY THIS KID BRYCE BRENTZ THATS ON THE FARM HAS POWER AND HE IS RIGHT HANDED WITH GOOD DEFENSE SKILL , JUST AN OPTION !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: RF OPTIONS?

MOSTLY BECAUSE HE HAS NEVER PLAYED ABOVE A BALL AND IS A .267 HITTER WITH A 3:1 K:BB RATIO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to RF OPTIONS?:
    [QUOTE]WHY TRY THIS KID BRYCE BRENTZ THATS ON THE FARM HAS POWER AND HE IS RIGHT HANDED WITH GOOD DEFENSE SKILL , JUST AN OPTION !
    Posted by ncsoxfan4life[/QUOTE]

Well nc, should I make an assumption that you are a close personal friend/relation to this kid Brentz, because I would guess he'd have to outplay, at minimum, the following guys to get a shot on the big club:
    • Sweeney (LH)
    • MacDonald (RH)
    • Linares (RH)
    • Kalish (LH) arriving in June to possibly take the fulltime gig

So say hi to Bryce but tell him he still needs a few more years of development before he can consider being in the show.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Brent's may very well be the future rf but a notin said he hasn't played above A ball. He could very well finish 2012 in Pawtucket if his learning curve is as fast this year, but he likely won't be MLB ready till mid 2013/2014

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

What about Lavarnway??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Why not try Tim Wastefield.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Wakefield is a 1B. I don't think he can handle the OFer job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We are playing Tigers on the opening day and Verlander will be throwing on the mound.  I expect Sweeney to get the nod on the opening day. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Cody Ross and Ryan Spilborghs have both been rumored to be options on MLB trade rumors.

I think Ross at a 2 year deal would be a wise move.  RH OF bat that can play all 3 OF positions fills a need on this team.  Guy was the NLCS MVP 2 years ago, so while he is "role player", the upside is there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I know Sweeney has zero power but he did have 11 RF assists in 2009. Range is slightly below league average for his career.
    RF will not be our best defensive position, and at Fenway, this could be a huge liability.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: RF OPTIONS?:
    [QUOTE]I know Sweeney has zero power but he did have 11 RF assists in 2009. Range is slightly below league average for his career. RF will not be our best defensive position, and at Fenway, this could be a huge liability.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your concerns once again Allibi Gripe.

On the opposite side of the coin is this:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120105&content_id=26266240&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I know Sweeney has zero power but he did have 11 RF assists in 2009. Range is slightly below league average for his career. RF will not be our best defensive position, and at Fenway, this could be a huge liability.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

In 401 innings in RF, Ryan has posted a plus 14.7 in RangeR, a plus 7 in ARM, and a plus 2.0 in ErrR for a total of +23.7 UZR (16.0 UZR/150).

Range is not always about speed, as JD Drew showed. I'm happy with Seeney's fielding; it's his batting vs LHPs that scares me most.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SysRq. Show SysRq's posts

It's been discussed before but Marlon Byrd of the Cubs would be a fit in RF as insurance against Kalish being out longer than anticipated and Sweeney possibly sucking badly.  Over the last two years Byrd has a .751 OPS , BA of .286 and a 4.2 WAR.  Not great but definately not bad.  He's right-handed, does ok against both lefties and righties, has a decent glove, averages 10 HR's/year and is mostly a line-drive hitter that can probably dent the Green Monster with some regularity.  Best thing is that he'd likely come cheap...Sox paying half his 6.5M salary might just do it (cost cut for the Cubs, plus the Theo compensation issue can go away).  Compared to Cody Ross he's not a power guy but he also won't need a two year commitment and he strikes out less.

Bring the Byrd to Boston...      

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Byrd turns 35 this year and already has shown signs of decline:

His .649 OPS vs LHPs in 2011 is not a good sign.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF OPTIONS? : In 401 innings in RF, Ryan has posted a plus 14.7 in RangeR, a plus 7 in ARM, and a plus 2.0 in ErrR for a total of +23.7 UZR (16.0 UZR/150). Range is not always about speed, as JD Drew showed. I'm happy with Seeney's fielding; it's his batting vs LHPs that scares me most.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Translation:  the Dodger fan named AlibiIke was talking through his straw hat. He does however feign genuine concern quite well though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Cody Ross

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd love Cody Ross and his .912 OPS vs LHPs career, but paying him what he likely will get will put us so close to the tax limit, we can't improve our pitching enough to make a difference.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SysRq. Show SysRq's posts

[QUOTE]Byrd turns 35 this year and already has shown signs of decline: .842 .808 .775 .719 His .649 OPS vs LHPs in 2011 is not a good sign.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Maybe.  But for 2009/2010 where he had 547/580 ABs respectively his OPS were .744/.916 against lefties and .835/.717 against righties...not bad at all.  HR's were 20/12...again a far cry from lousy.  Against lefties in 2010 he hit .357, .267 vs. righties.  I'll buy that for a dollar.  As I see it he's an excellent low-cost fit for one year in RF, and it's his last contract year so he'll be playing for the money.

Sign him up.        

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Byrd had only 15 ABs in 2011 (injury) so his stats that year don't mean much.  

Umm.... He played in 119 games in 2011 and had 482 PAs:
    vs RHPs (370 PAs)  .740
    vs LHPs (112 PAs)  .649

For 2009/2010 where he had 547/580 ABs respectively his OPS were .744/.916 against lefties and .835/.717 against righties...not bad at all.  

Let's look at 2009-2011 combined:
    Byrd  .285/.334/.437/.771
    Ross  .261/.323/.432/.754
    DMac .260/.322/.417/.738

2010-2011:
    Byrd   .286/.337/.414/.751
    DMac  .258/.325/.420/.745
    Ross   .256/.323/.410/.733

vs LHPs (2009-2011)
    Ross   .342/.521/.863
    DMac .360/.472/.832
    Byrd  .324/.464/.788

2010-2011:
    Byrd    .348/.471/.815
    DMac  .347/.467/.814
    Ross   .339/.466/.805

Sidenote: Out of all OF'er with 600+ PA vs LHPs the past 3 years, Crawford has the worst OPS: .661.
    Cody Ross might cost $6.5M for 2 years; Byrd costs that much for 1 year.

HR's were 20/12...again a far cry from lousy.  Against lefties in 2010 he hit .357, .267 vs. righties.  I'll buy that for a dollar.  As I see it he's an excellent low-cost fit for one year in RF, and it's his last contract year so he'll be playing for the money.

Sign him up.      

You mean "trade for him".  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Although I "like" McDonald as a person!!!!!!!   I pray that we move on from the RF "platooning!!!!!"  

Please spare me the stats!!!!!!   there are.....  "LIES, DAMNED LIES, & then there is STATISTICS............"   (please excuse the paraphrasing :)

To the stat jockeys........  give it a rest!  We all know what we watched last season.  YES!  McDonald came on at the end of the season........ but the rest of the season, he was an absolutely consistent rally KILLER!!!!   He's the type of guy who comes through when it really doesn't matter. 

Time to move on!  He can NOT perform under pressure!!!!

Still love the person though!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]We are playing Tigers on the opening day and Verlander will be throwing on the mound.  I expect Sweeney to get the nod on the opening day. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
    For what it's worth, Ryan Sweeney is 2-for-10 lifetime against Justin Verlander with three strikeouts, two GIDPs and no extrabase hits.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7858/batvspit;_ylt=Auunkl0SMyQUhgxlE70ql0uFCLcF?year=career&type=Batting

Still, I think the Red Sox will like Sweeney.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

DMac has never faced Verlander. I'd go with Sweeney due to his defense, but I think DMac could hit him better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF OPTIONS? : For what it's worth, Ryan Sweeney is 2-for-10 lifetime against Justin Verlander with three strikeouts, two GIDPs and no extrabase hits. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7858/batvspit;_ylt=Auunkl0SMyQUhgxlE70ql0uFCLcF?year=career&type=Batting Still, I think the Red Sox will like Sweeney.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE] he's a good player, plus i don't think the Sox would let a single set of numbers applicable for just one series deter them, heck i'd bet quite a few guys are sporting those numbers against JV..:-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF OPTIONS? : he's a good player, plus i don't think the Sox would let a single set of numbers applicable for just one series deter them, heck i'd bet quite a few guys are sporting those numbers against JV..:-)
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Plus, there is no better option, unless we feel confident with Aviles' fielding in RF. Mike is 3 for 10 vs Verlander.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Um, Brentz had 17, count em, 17 errors in RF in A ball!
    You think this butcher is ready to play the most difficult RF in baseball?

Sections
Shortcuts