RF should be Reddicks to lose

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Re: RF should be Reddicks to lose

No doubt about it. This kid Reddick  just keeps the pedal to the metal on the excitement meter. Let him bat 4th or 5th in Houston a couple of games. Let's see what he can do with that middle of the order weight. As far as the dropped fly ball in LF....unfortunately it's part of his style, sort of like B.J. Upton. The problem occurs when the ball drops below eye level. It's too late to make a glove adjustment and record the catch. It looks like a fumble. It's still an error and at some point in time could prove costly. For now lets enjoy what he's bringing to the table.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: RF should be Reddicks to lose:
    [QUOTE]                     No doubt about it. This kid Reddick  just keeps the pedal to the metal on the excitement meter. Let him bat 4th or 5th in Houston a couple of games. Let's see what he can do with that middle of the order weight. As far as the dropped fly ball in LF....unfortunately it's part of his style, sort of like B.J. Upton. The problem occurs when the ball drops below eye level. It's too late to make a glove adjustment and record the catch. It looks like a fumble. It's still an error and at some point in time could prove costly. For now lets enjoy what he's bringing to the table.
    Posted by eggplants[/QUOTE]
    I agree about the way he catches fly balls.....it is something he can and will work on.....but I love his bat.  I remember Trot always had an annoying habit of overrunning ground balls as he went to scoop them....you take the good with the bad......and as far as I am concerned...his good to bad ration is in another stratosphere compared to Drew and DMac  and the recently DFA'd Cam....will it last....it doesnt matter....you play the hot hands while you can.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF should be Reddicks to lose : I agree about the way he catches fly balls.....it is something he can and will work on.....but I love his bat.  I remember Trot always had an annoying habit of overrunning ground balls as he went to scoop them....you take the good with the bad......and as far as I am concerned...his good to bad ration is in another stratosphere compared to Drew and DMac  and the recently DFA'd Cam....will it last....it doesnt matter....you play the hot hands while you can.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

We can't forget about Kalish who I'm sure can't wait to come back.  We may have a very tough decision in the OF next season with all the LH bats.  I can't blame Theo if he goes after a RH starter and I would hate to see one of these kids traded but it may happen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF should be Reddicks to lose : This is all true. However, it's been my understanding, and history seems to point towards this, that incoming owners typically prefer as little guaranteed money as possible going forward. These billionaires don't like being told they HAVE to pay X player Y amount of money. The Sox ownership tried every year from acquiring the Sox on to dump Manny. That being said, I don't think it's totally out of the question to see one of these two (Kemp/Ethier) moved for promising younger parts, or more controllable at least, as Ellsbury would be for an extra year than Kemp. A new owner is definitely NOT going to want to buy this team in the mess their in, and immediately have to negotiate with it's best player. That's a headache on top of a headache. Sox ownership basically gave no money to existing players. Lowe/Nomar/Pedro and later Manny were all traded, or left to walk. They (the team) wanted THEIR players, for better or worse. It's far easier to make a team your own when there aren't any big contracts or big egos left over from previous ownership, who may have let these guys do whatever they want on top of it (ahem...MANNY!).
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]The Dodgers have control of both players through 2012 via arbitration. The 2004 walk away FAs in Boston have little to do with LA situation. Those players were left to walk after a team won a ES and the ownership had been in control of the team for two full seasons.

It didn't have anything do with wanting their own, each player was a valuation decision. And in the case of Nomar and Pedro they were very correct. LA went one year longer than Boston for Lowe, Tek resigned and Manny was Manny a unique package with no parallel.

The Trio were attracted to the RS IMO because they were getting a media outlet (NESN) and a pretty solid MLB team that needed a few tweaks to be a legimate annual post season competitor and therfore drive high revenues quickly to apply against their debt service.

Whoever buys the Dodgers will need to rebuild bridges with the fans and needs to competitive pretty much out the gate. The current TV contract expires in a couple of years and the next deal unless it is media outlet buying them is improved if the Dodgers are a draw. Whoever buys them is not going to want to surrender any fan market to Moreno and won't be happy if the media market erodes. And as I say the market here in LA has tough competition for the entertainment dollar and drives on star power.

If anything historically teams have tried to build themselves up to be put on the market and then balk at making any additional moves once they actively announce they are entertaining offers.

In short I think trading Kemp and/or Either is announcing a long rebuilding plan and that won't happen with the Los Angeles Dodgers. MLB isn't going to approve those type of moves happening until after there is a new owner and I suspect they believe by this time next year there will be a new owner (everybody but Frank McCourt thinks so.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In 713 AAA at bats Reddick is hitting 242.  Oddly enough in 157 MLB at bats he is also hitting 242.  You can go with that or go with his last 40 at bats.  Up to you.

I think he can play and I dont think he is a stiff.  But he isn't the answer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In 713 AAA at bats Reddick is hitting 242.  Oddly enough in 157 MLB at bats he is also hitting 242.  You can go with that or go with his last 40 at bats.  Up to you. I think he can play and I dont think he is a stiff.  But he isn't the answer.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

snakeoil, I think the last 40 AB could hold more merit than you give Josh credit for.  The Reddick we watched last season was immature with no plate discipline.  The kid changed his physical appearance daily and was swinging for the fences whether it be a ball or strike.  He has matured quite a bit and I was also impressed with how he handled the post game interview today when asked about the Cameron and other situations.

Not the youngster who was here last season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF should be Reddicks to lose : snakeoil, I think the last 40 AB could hold more merit than you give Josh credit for.  The Reddick we watched last season was immature with no plate discipline.  The kid changed his physical appearance daily and was swinging for the fences whether it be a ball or strike.  He has matured quite a bit and I was also impressed with how he handled the post game interview today when asked about the Cameron and other situations. Not the youngster who was here last season.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

My point is simply this.  It is a tad silly to give more weight to his last 40 at bats then to his previous 900.  I do agree that Reddick looks good out there and deserves a shot.  I am just preaching a little caution.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF should be Reddicks to lose : My point is simply this.  It is a tad silly to give more weight to his last 40 at bats then to his previous 900.  I do agree that Reddick looks good out there and deserves a shot.  I am just preaching a little caution.

Understood snakeoil, There comes a point in any promising players career when he begins to improve and its not always at the AA or AAA level.  A similar example was Pede  ...

Pede hit 258 his first season 89 AB and I believe started out badly his second season before taking off to eventually hit 317.   
    Josh hit less than 200 in his first 121 AB and over 400 since.

I'm not saying Reddick will be as good or better than Pede, just the fact it begins this way for a lot of players.  The real test comes the rest of the season for Josh, when he finally gets a chance to play more regularly. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF should be Reddicks to lose : My point is simply this.  It is a tad silly to give more weight to his last 40 at bats then to his previous 900.  I do agree that Reddick looks good out there and deserves a shot.  I am just preaching a little caution.

The previous 900 reflect growth. Players don't stay the same. Reddick has shown this in his learning curve. Both his 2011 AAA BA and his 2011 M.L. BA are equally mis-leading.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF should be Reddicks to lose : Understood snakeoil, There comes a point in any promising players career when he begins to improve and its not always at the AA or AAA level.  A similar example was Pede  ... Pede hit 258 his first season 89 AB and I believe started out badly his second season before taking off to eventually hit 317.    Josh hit less than 200 in his first 121 AB and over 400 since. I'm not saying Reddick will be as good or better than Pede, just the fact it begins this way for a lot of players.  The real test comes the rest of the season for Josh, when he finally gets a chance to play more regularly. 

I agree.  When Pedroia came up I thought he couldn't swing it.  I remember wanting him to be demoted to AAA.  I am not saying I am right about everything. Not even close.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF should be Reddicks to lose : The previous 900 reflect growth. Players don't stay the same. Reddick has shown this in his learning curve. Both his 2011 AAA BA and his 2011 M.L. BA are equally mis-leading.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

You keep saying that like I disagree with you.  I know that he has grown as a player.  But if people are saying Drew is horrible when he hits 230 in MLB and are saying Reddick is amazing when he hits 230 in AAA do you see just a tiny bit of hyperbole going on?

I am not talking about someone like you who obviously has studied Reddick.  I am talking about people that just go yeah he is hitting well in his 40 at bats so he is now our new right fielder.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

While the Sox are in Houston, they ought to consider Hunter Pence. This righty has hit 25 HR the last  three years, is durable as can be, he's the anti Drew averaging 157 games in each of the last 3 seasons, and has worked his way into the 3 hole for the 'Stros, but could slot in anywhere from 4-7 and offer protection and power. He's cheap too, Cameron money 6.9M with Ethier/Kemp production.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE] While the Sox are in Houston, they ought to consider Hunter Pence. This righty has hit 25 HR the last  three years, is durable as can be, he's the anti Drew averaging 157 games in each of the last 3 seasons, and has worked his way into the 3 hole for the 'Stros, but could slot in anywhere from 4-7 and offer protection and power. He's cheap too, Cameron money 6.9M with Ethier/Kemp production.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

YOUK, I suggested this a couple days ago but most of our posters felt he would be untouchable.  I would love to see the guy here

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF should be Reddicks to lose : YOUK, I suggested this a couple days ago but most of our posters felt he would be untouchable.  I would love to see the guy here

Sorry I missed that, I've been staying away from here lately. I put Pence on my radar about a month ago, and seeing no improvement in the Astros' status, things could develop...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE] While the Sox are in Houston, they ought to consider Hunter Pence. This righty has hit 25 HR the last  three years, is durable as can be, he's the anti Drew averaging 157 games in each of the last 3 seasons, and has worked his way into the 3 hole for the 'Stros, but could slot in anywhere from 4-7 and offer protection and power. He's cheap too, Cameron money 6.9M with Ethier/Kemp production.

At what cost?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

There are too many lefties in this line-up, replacing Drew with Reddick doesn't flip the order, Put Reddick in center and flip Ells for Pence, hmmm, interesting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF should be Reddicks to lose : At what cost?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Cost? It's an INVESTMENT! The Sox don't have a Congressional Debt ceiling. Pull the trigger Theo!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Always a cost, my friend. Is it worth Reddick/Kalish/Bard?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Harness, I tried responding to your post, but it wont load, anyways, fixing the RH gap is  crucial. Youk is always getting nagging injuries, and when he's in the line-up he gets thrown at to negate his agressiveness. Pedroia can pull for power, but almost never goes the other way, so he can be pitched around his sweet spot. I still think that Werth was the primary FA target, and with all these lefties and the Cameron experiment written off, the RH hole is glaring. Last year they tried to ride Mike Lowell, alas he was done. This year they can't sit around with a such a strange L-R configuration.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE] Harness, I tried responding to your post, but it wont load, anyways, fixing the RH gap is  crucial. Youk is always getting nagging injuries, and when he's in the line-up he gets thrown at to negate his agressiveness. Pedroia can pull for power, but almost never goes the other way, so he can be pitched around his sweet spot. I still think that Werth was the primary FA target, and with all these lefties and the Cameron experiment written off, the RH hole is glaring. Last year they tried to ride Mike Lowell, alas he was done. This year they can't sit around with a such a strange L-R configuration.

I agree the RH hole needs addressing.
    I just don't think they have to make a block-buster move to deal with it. A veteran bridge from a team no longer contending by 7/31 at low cost is the likelihood, IMO. But I'm not one to play board GM. Too many unknown areas.

I amglad they didn't pursue Werth...for what it's worth.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I thought Reddick was ready 2 years ago but he showed a lack of plate discipline then and it didn't get better...until this year. Even with his .230 average this year in AAA ball he was walking twice as much as before. He also is a better player defensively than Kalish and we've got to admit that Kalish was an injury waiting to happen with the way he dove for everything.

Reddick is made for Fenway's RF defensively. Decent speed and one of the best arms in the majors already. We can probably expect to get good defense from him in a position which really needs that kind of player in Fenway. We can also expect 20 HR pop from him and a very inexpensive contract. Even if he hits .250 he would give us good defense and decent pop and would not be that bad a solution for us the remainder this year. MLB outfielders are going to be in demand next year and we are building value in him as we speak. He's getting more confident every day. With Cameron gone I think he gets more playing time going forward. Again, he is very well suited for Fenway's RF.

They have others available soon if he falters:

Kalish
    Hassan
    Chiang
    Nava
    Lin
    Linares
    Hazelbaker
    Brentz

A little longer we have Jacobs and others. They may well want to go with someone else this year but I hope they ride with Reddick.

I personally do not see much hope for Navarro but I'm told he has a future. To me he is a AAAA player at best. An infield substitute who can play some OF in an emergency. He is a non issue to me. A non factor.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Check out Reddick's UZR/150 scores at the mlb level sometime. They are very limited samples but My God they are great. He is currently a + 107 in the OF for the Sox this year. Yeah, a Plus 107 this year at the mlb level. Off the charts. Last year he was a + 40.7. Most people here will say it's statistically insignificant and they are generally right but his defense has been consistently good his entire career. Some people have thought he had the best arm in the minors the past few years. His defense is probably still under rated.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Boom, I agree with you on Reddick. In fact, I felt as you did two years ago. But I don't understand your stance on Navarro. He's performed well at every stage, both with the glove and the bat.

He's not likely to hit enough to support an outfield position, but could easily do so to justify his natural position at SS. What specifically is it about him you don't care for?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE] There are too many lefties in this line-up, replacing Drew with Reddick doesn't flip the order, Put Reddick in center and flip Ells for Pence, hmmm, interesting.

I agree we need a righty out there YOUK which is why I suggested we give Lin a shot before we give away anymore prospects.  My thread suggested Hunter Pence was the perfect RF who could hit anyone.  He would look great in RF but who would we have to give up is the problem.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Pence will be a FA in 2014 and is making just a tick below 7mil this year..By the time his last 2 years of arb are through he will probably be around 10-12mil if his production keeps up..Not a bad price..I bet Houston thinks so too...With that said, I mentioned his name a few weeks back too..I just dont see it happening this year with Houston..Maybe next or more likely 2013..But, stranger things have happened.
    As far as Reddick goes..He has matured at a slower rate than most of his peers, although 24 isnt really a late bloomer.. But he has always adjusted and progressed. The final piece was to get more plate discipline and pitch recognition. he has done that, and is now proving his worth. looks like he can hit lefties too.. Personally Ive been pulling for the kid, whether he makes it in Boston or somewhere else..I know he cant keep this pace up, but a nice 270-80AVG with a little pop in RF would be nice..