RF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

RF

Apparently, consensus is that Michael Cuddyer is the perfect RF for the Red Sox, presumably based on the fact that he bats right-handed and is available.  No one is overly concerned that overall, he is a horrific defensive player.  Fangraphs rates him the second worst defensive RF over the last 3 years, ahead of only Carlos Quentin.   So the fact that he can swing a bat from the desired side of the plate should outweigh putting him in charge of defending arguably the toughest RF in the majors? Hopefully before the contract gts drawn up, the team explores a few other options.

Including, but not limited to:

David DeJesus – A free agent the Sox have tried to get before.  He does lack power number and hits left-handed, but has the range and arm to handle RF at Fenway.

Cody Ross – Free agent who kills LHP and makes for a good platoon partner.  Ross plays all 3 OF positions, although his CF is nothing to get excited about.  He probably won’t command elite money, either.

Franklin Gutierrez – Seattle has been stocking up on OF the past few months, and might make Gutierrez expendable.  He has not hit much the last 2 years as he has battled some injuries and ailments. He is an outstanding defender whose skills earned him the best nickname in baseball – “Death to Flying Things.”  He would need to bounce back offensively, and I have no idea what Seattle would want in return, although we can assume it is offense in some form.

Michael Morse – He does bring RHH power to the table, although little else. Washington might move him in the right deal.  His defense as an OF certainly won’t earn him any awards and may not be the best fit, although he probably works over Cuddyer, potentially both offensively and defensively.  His two minor league suspensions for steroids should not be forgotten.

Corey Hart – It’s unlikely the Brewers destroy and rebuild in the very likely event Fielder plays elsewhere, but Hart could probably be had in the right deal.  Not a great defender despite his surprising speed, but does have decent power from right side.  Think of him as Hunter Pence-Lite.

Will Venable – Surprisingly undervalued player for San Diego.  He does bolster his offensive stats by only hitting primarily against RHP in a platoon, but is a very good all-around OF.  He might not be the best fit, given he is a LHH speed-oriented player and the Sox already have 2 of those in the OF, but Venable is most definitely a contributor when he plays.

Melky Cabrera – Don’t laugh.  Cabrera slugged .518 from the right side this year, and had a surprising year at the plate.   Fast enough to cover RF at Fenway and has a spectacular throwing arm.  The Royals won’t give him away, but might be willing to move him given the presence of Lorenzo Cain.

Aaron Rowand – Certainly not the top choice, but obviously can be had quickly.  More of a lost ditch effort, but might be capable of turning it all around.

Ryan Ludwick – Has shown some offensive ability in the past, but has recently returned to injury-prone origins.  But is a free agent for the taking.

Xavier Paul – Expendable in Pittsiburgh due to their talented young OF.  Paul is one of those all-tools guys who has just never put it all together.  A lot of raw potential that would not surprise anyone if it remained untapped.  Might not be a bad option to platoon with Kalish or Reddick.

Kendry Morales – Would the Angels move him and let Trumbo take over first base?  What would it take to acquire him?  Probably not the best defensive fit for RF at Fenway, and there are very significant durability concerns, but the upside is too tempting to ignore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

Re: RF

These posts always sound like fantasy drafts, but I'll play along and choose Corey Hart, but really, do the Red Sox have anyone on their roster worth trading for this caliber of player?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Hate all of them on that list, except Hart and Morse.
    Morse also hit for high average. Why he'd be available is open to question.
    I'd rather see them trade for Carlos Quentin, who would have won MVP in 2009 if he didn't get hurt.
    He's got a lot of upside.
    Morales missed the entire season and is really a first baseman-DH.
    Rowand is done.
    Will Venable? You're kidding, right? Crawford light.
    Dejesus is another pop gun hitting lefty. No way.
    Cody Ross, 31, low OBP , BA guy.
    Cuddyer, Ludwick, and Willingham will all be 33 or 34 next season. This team is old and needs to get younger.
    Unless they come up with someone like Wright, this team is dying for right handed power and RF is the place to fill this need. Even John Henry knows that.
    The last thing this team needs is Josh Reddick getting 80% of the at bats in RF. He is catatonic with men on base.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm OK with sacrificing defense in RF if we improve it at SS and 3B. Reddick or kalish could always be a late inning defensive replacement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmassaro. Show cmassaro's posts

Let trade for Matt kemp or Andre eithier we have a lot of people we can give to get them I think it's a great move both can field and hit but I do understand that both of them hit lefty and we don't need lefty but I think there good enough that's it's ok idk what do u think

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Red Sox are painted in InEpstein's 130M OF left footed corner. Ellsbury needs to go and a Kemp or Upton type of profile needs to be aquired by trade. Crawford is going nowhere. Sell high and must retain Crawford low.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Jayson Werth. Oops. He's already been sold, heart and soul, by Borass.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: RF:
    [QUOTE]Let trade for Matt kemp or Andre eithier we have a lot of people we can give to get them I think it's a great move both can field and hit but I do understand that both of them hit lefty and we don't need lefty but I think there good enough that's it's ok idk what do u think
    Posted by cmassaro[/QUOTE]
    Who are these "a lot of people we can give" for Andre Ethier or Matt Kemp, who today was named Baseball America's Player of the Year?

Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Adrian Gonzalez and Jon Lester may be the only Red Sox with currently high trade value (and the Gonzalez contract may scare off some suitors).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Red Sox are painted in InEpstein's 130M OF left footed corner. Ellsbury needs to go and a Kemp or Upton type of profile needs to be aquired by trade. Crawford is going nowhere. Sell high and must retain Crawford low.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

softy? That you? Hehehehe.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Personally I'd like them to play Reddick out there and get pitching.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDShorty. Show JDShorty's posts

Again another ludacris Ellsbury trade proposal. And why do people still think that the Dodgers, AKA Bud Selig, would trade their best players when the team is obviously going to be sold. No value in a team that has no talent. I just dont see it happening, for multiple reasons.

1. Kemp isn't going anywhere till his contract is up, MLB won't allow it.
    2. Why trade Ellsbury, who has potential to be betterthan Kemp) for Kemp???
    3. Didn't anyone learn there lesson with the last Dodger outfielder to come here???
    4. Don't need Eithier either... He is Carlos Quentin but from the left side...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmassaro. Show cmassaro's posts

Ok so no dodgers what about Jose ryes sign with the Soxs and we also go and trade for king felix and trade some prospects and a major leaguer and then sign Tony la russ a and we can either sign david Ortiz to two year contract or sign prince fielder

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Again another ludacris Ellsbury trade proposal. And why do people still think that the Dodgers, AKA Bud Selig, would trade their best players when the team is obviously going to be sold. No value in a team that has no talent. I just dont see it happening, for multiple reasons. 1. Kemp isn't going anywhere till his contract is up, MLB won't allow it. 2. Why trade Ellsbury, who has potential to be betterthan Kemp) for Kemp??? 3. Didn't anyone learn there lesson with the last Dodger outfielder to come here??? 4. Don't need Eithier either... He is Carlos Quentin but from the left side...
    Posted by JDShorty[/QUOTE]
    Matt Kemp, who is a year younger than Jacoby Ellsbury, has the potential to be better than this year's Matt Kemp.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDShorty. Show JDShorty's posts

[QUOTE]Ok so no dodgers what about Jose ryes sign with the Soxs and we also go and trade for king felix and trade some prospects and a major leaguer and then sign Tony la russ a and we can either sign david Ortiz to two year contract or sign prince fielder

Whatever you're smoking.... I don't want anyway if it's going to make me as delusional as you sound....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Wow! Some really off the wall posts here.
    Andre Ethier is a 30 year old injury prone left handed hitter.
    What's the attraction? He's buddies with Pedroia?
    Reyes will be a worse signing than Crawford. He's on the DL more than he's in the lineup.
    I'd love Kemp, but why would the Dodgers trade him?
    Reddick is a zombie with men on base. He's not the answer.
    Has anyone seen Clay Buccholz and Jose Reddick in the same place?
    I think it's the same person.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Ok so no dodgers what about Jose ryes sign with the Soxs and we also go and trade for king felix and trade some prospects and a major leaguer and then sign Tony la russ a and we can either sign david Ortiz to two year contract or sign prince fielder
    What package of Red Sox players would entice the Seattle Mariners to trade Felix Hernandez?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

That is why Boston is working hard to get a good compensation deal with the Cubs.  So that way Boston can have alot of options on making a trade.  Get a top prospect along with a possible another one is huge for Boston.  Cuz they would probably flip flop that prospect along with others to get a decent RF!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

I like your thinking, UConn!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]These posts always sound like fantasy drafts, but I'll play along and choose Corey Hart, but really, do the Red Sox have anyone on their roster worth trading for this caliber of player?
    Posted by Gready[/QUOTE]

Your fantasy draft included Cody Ross and Melky Cabrera?

Either your league is full of really clueless people or you have some weird leagues rules , like it is only legal to draft people with uncommon funny-sounding names that end in "y".  (I see you provided evidence for me of this rule.)

My guess is Rubby De La Rosa was a real big hit in your league...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]These posts always sound like fantasy drafts, but I'll play along and choose Corey Hart, but really, do the Red Sox have anyone on their roster worth trading for this caliber of player?
    Posted by Gready[/QUOTE]

And to answer your question.  Yes.

Yes the Sox do have the ability to trade for Corey Hart if they so chose,  Exactly what caliber do you think of him as, anyway?

Kendry Morales, who I bet was also a big hit in your "y" league - which I am going to call the "namey league", cause "namey" is the word "name" ending eith a "y".  Get it? 

Anyway, Kendry would be the really tough one to acquire.  Unlike Hart, he doesn't make much, and he is a much, much better hitter and even a little younger.  But Hart's extension and the fact tha the isn't Braun or Weeks, makes him the Brewer's prime trade candidate if that team tries to reload anything this off-season.  They have almost nothing else to move.  Seriously...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Reddick is a zombie with men on base. He's not the answer.

You may be right, and I think Reddick has serious issues at the plate, but the guy only has about 160 ABs with men on base in his young ML career.

Horrible results, but still a bit too early to call it a trend.

Just curious....

What's your list of Sox top priorities this winter?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

I think the Sox need to address the well chronicled internal problems.
    1. Hire a manager who can lead, along with a good coaching staff.
    2. Starting Pitching. I like Buehrle very much. CC would be a dream, but kick the tires, anyway.
    3. Bullpen, especially if Papelbon leaves.
    4. Right handed power hitter. Could be Wright.
    5. Shortstop. JJ Hardy was available the last two winters. Too bad Theo didn't grab him. Power and a good glove would look good in a Sox uniform.
    I don't like Reyes. Too fragile to spend massive money on.
    6. RF. need an impact right handed bat. Someone under 30,
    7. 3B. Youk needs a change of venue, and he's breaking down. I'd love to see Wright here. Citifield is death to hitters. Wright would be a younger Mike Lowell. A guy needing a change of scenery to get his mojo back.
    8.Catcher. I like Lavarnway. Maybe a journeyman like Barajas to buttress the position. Wish they signed Russell Martin instead of giving the job to Salty.

I hope this answers your question, Moon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Youk is breaking down, but Wright isn't?

And before you go re-writing history, there is a really good reason Hardy has been avaialble so often.

As for the rotation, while we do need SP. is free agency really the way to go?   Have you people learned nothing from me? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Wright is four years younger than Youkilis, and should still be in his prime.
    Maybe with someone different calling the shots, they can make better judgements on free agent pitchers?
    Free agency does provide a means to just spend money and use other chips in trading for various needs.
    Now, enlighten us as to Hardy's secret problem. The guy can play. The O's gave him an extention, so if he was so egregious for whatever reason, it didn't matter to Showalter and company.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2. Starting Pitching. I like Buehrle very much. CC would be a dream, but kick the tires, anyway.
    5. Shortstop. JJ Hardy was available the last two winters. Too bad Theo didn't grab him. Power and a good glove would look good in a Sox uniform. 
    7. 3B. Youk needs a change of venue, and he's breaking down. I'd love to see Wright here. Citifield is death to hitters. Wright would be a younger Mike Lowell. A guy needing a change of scenery to get his mojo back.
    8.Catcher. I like Lavarnway. Maybe a journeyman like Barajas to buttress the position. Wish they signed Russell Martin instead of giving the job to Salty.

I hope this answers your question, Moon.

Yes, actually a very nice list indeed and rightly ordered in my opinion, except I might have starting pitcher #1, RP #2, SP #3, RH'd bat (DH/RF) #4, RP #5 then continue as you had it.

Agree. I wish J. Leyland was available.

I like Buehrle too, but he doesn't do well vs the Yanks (1-8  6.38)

If Paps leaves, we'll maybe need 3 guys.

It's not a RH bat plus if we replace Youk with Wright, but I like Wright.

5. Shortstop. JJ Hardy was available the last two winters. Too bad Theo didn't grab him.
     Power and a good glove would look good in a Sox uniform. 

He's got nice range too!

I agree.

If we end up needing and getting 3-4 pitchers, there won't be money left over at this low priority on the list to spend big. That is one reason some of us see the need to platoon or go light somewhere. If we let Papi walk and use Youk at DH and get Wright, we will need to skimp in RF. If we go with Aviles/Lowrie at 3B, we could spend big in RF, but I don't see both happening.

Could be "wright" on this one. I'd hate to see Youk's OBP go.

What's your thoughts on Ramon Hernandez?

Going with Aviles/Lowrie/Middlebrooks at 3B if we beef up RF?

Going with Iggy/Aviles/Lowrie at SS but beef up elsewhere?

Scutty?