RF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: RF

I thought the obvious choice would be to give JD Drew an extension?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from YAMATO. Show YAMATO's posts

Here is the solution: move Ellsbury to RF, Crawford to CF, and sign Josh Willingham (a righthanded bat the Sox always liked) to play LF. Let Papi walk and use the DH slot to rest position players and still keep their bats in the line-up (Willingham, Youk, and Gonzalez).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

OBviously Drew's done...but I still can't get over how much hate there was for him throughout his tenure here. He's not Trot Nixon, and is probably the anti Trot, but nobody can deny he did have some good seasons here. For the most part he did exactly what the Sox expected from him...it's not his fault Theo offered him stupid amounts of money to do it. You knew he'd be hurt a bunch, you knew he wouldn't show much emotion, but you could also count on him to get on base and play a very very good Right Field (which will show depending on who fills that position).

Sure we all remember him staring at the last pitch of the ALCS in Tampa...but he also hit the tying and winning home runs of game 5 to even get it to Tampa. I wasn't his biggest fan, but I still think the hate is unjustified.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

RF remains our biggest weakness, but also our biggest chance to improve, however losing Papi could cancel any offensive gains we make in RF by upgrading there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

It depends on who comes in to replace Papi. I don't see them letting him walk if they don't have that thunder coming back in, either at third or DH depending on Youk. Jacoby isn't (or shouldn't) be your power bat, and there's nobody else in that lineup who scares me power-wise after Gonzo. You'll get some from Pedey, Youk or Crawford...but they need that Papi/Bautista/Fielder/Tex/Pujols/etc/etc

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

notin I don't care 4 anyone on your list. I would just as soon go Reddick or Kalish until July and then make a move for a proven RF if the rookies cannot cut it. Like the SS and CA position the Sox can absorb the loss offensively with our amazing core.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

The big issue with the Sox lineup is that they need a scary right handed bat. The only spot they can really look for that is RF. You're not gonna upgrade at SS that way...and I think they're all set with Salty at C. However, if they go with someone like a Pujols for DH and let Papi walk, your options become greater in RF

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: RF:
    [QUOTE]OBviously Drew's done...but I still can't get over how much hate there was for him throughout his tenure here. He's not Trot Nixon, and is probably the anti Trot, but nobody can deny he did have some good seasons here. For the most part he did exactly what the Sox expected from him...it's not his fault Theo offered him stupid amounts of money to do it. You knew he'd be hurt a bunch, you knew he wouldn't show much emotion, but you could also count on him to get on base and play a very very good Right Field (which will show depending on who fills that position). Sure we all remember him staring at the last pitch of the ALCS in Tampa...but he also hit the tying and winning home runs of game 5 to even get it to Tampa. I wasn't his biggest fan, but I still think the hate is unjustified.
    Posted by jgallag1[/QUOTE]

He did not do what he was supposed to do - he was brought here to be the #5 hitter behind Manny and David.  The plan failed - miserably.

We've been through this but in short:

2007 - was a waste

2008 - very good year but didn't play enough games in the second half....very good post season though, albeit he ended the season looking coupled with the fact he made a horrific throw that effectively ended G2 (ALCS); on second though he had 2 huge hits - 1 in the DLS and 1 in the ALCS - hmmm....maybe I need to downgrade the "very good" ?

2009 - bad year but finished w/ a strong late Aug/September albeit his BA w/ RISP was a joke

2010 - see 2007

2011 - utter and complete failure of Crawford-like proportions

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]The big issue with the Sox lineup is that they need a scary right handed bat. The only spot they can really look for that is RF. You're not gonna upgrade at SS that way...and I think they're all set with Salty at C. However, if they go with someone like a Pujols for DH and let Papi walk, your options become greater in RF
    Posted by jgallag1[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree they need a scary bat, but they do need a professional hitter with some pop. Preferably one who hits from the right side...Lets assume that Papi is allowed to walk...I see him being replaced by more than one bat...I've put this out there a few times but I'd like to see us address our bench and build some depth into our lineup...if we sign a couple of guys like Willingham, Doumit and say Hinske and pick up scutaro's option our opening day lineup would look like this....

CF Ells
    RF Crawford
    2B Pedrioa
    1B Gonzalez
    DH/3B Youk
    C/DH Doumit
    LF Willingham
    C Salty
    SS Scutaro

Bench: Hinske, Avilies, Reddick, DMac, Lavarnway

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Wow, so take your worst fielder and put him in Right and take your worst bat and bat him 2nd?  OK.  Got it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

As a short term cheap fix for RF I would not be surprised if they pull off a deal with the Phils for Ben Francisco, and use him as a part of a platoon with Reddick/Kalish.  If Howard is recovering well enough, the Phils are set in the OF with Victorino, Mayberry and Brown, and may move Francisco for some utility help (Lowrie or Aviles) especially if they bring back Ibanez.  Ben could be a good RH bat at Fenway, and has always been a servicable fielder with a decent arm.  Allows the resources to be spent in more urgent areas (pitching!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Crazy , I know:

Lackey straight up for Rios.

You are not going to trade Lackey back to the Angels for Wells' bad contract--the Angels won't take him back.

Rios is one year removed from a decent year. Like CC he just never got it together last year with the White Sox.

Jason Bay has about the same amount of $'s left on his Mets contract as  Lackey with the Mets.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

no, but you could do Crawford and $21 million for Wells

Lackey?  I'd like to just cut him and pay him but the problem there is that you give motivation for other guys to underperform so they could get paid for not working.

on the upside, I think the Boras hey-days have peaked.  That goes for all free agents.  Too much risk involved in giving contracts north of 75 million more than 5 years.  i guess these poor fellows will just have to settle for the lower middle class pay rate of 3 years/36 million.  Maybe during the off-season they could march on wall street to try and recoup their losses???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I haven't felt inclined to post much after the debacle in Baltimore, but I always like the back and forth of discussions about off-season moves.

I don't think it is mandatory that RF be filled with a RH bat.  You can have three lefty hitting outfielders, as long as the rest of the lineup balances out.  And I remember that Kalish, prior to getting injured, was considered by many to be the RF replacement for Drew.  I still think he can be and that pursuit of a RH hitting RFer of any real talent and ability is a waste of resources (either in players-in a trade, or salary-in FA) that should be spent on relief and starting pitching.

But, having done that you almost have to get the RH bat into the lineup at DH.  Whether it is Lavarnway, Youkilis or some lesser Free Agent buy, I think Ortiz should be let go.  He was dismal down the stretch with runners in scoring position with the game on the line.  He has expressed dissatisfaction with ownership and the playing conditions.  Time to close the curtain.  The Sox need a RH DH with 30+ HR power.  Kalish and Reddick can battle it out in RF.

Me?  I'd force feed Middlebrooks, move Youk to DH and play Kalish in RF.  Lavarnway would play some catcher and DH.  And I would bring Scutaro back (can't believe I just wrote that).  With Aviles and/or Lowrie, the infield would be covered, and the defense (with Middlebrooks) improved.  And the offense would be better balanced and probably nearly as productive (it was one of the top offenses in all baseball already). 

The money saved by letting Papi go, and saying goodbye to Drew could be used to pay Lackey's way out of town and pick up some good pitching, which is what this club really needs. 

And free agency, like it or not, is going to have to be the way the pitching corps is upgraded.  Why?  Because trying to trade for it simply costs too much.  Example, trying to get King Felix.  It would take Lester, Bard, Ellsbury and two top prospects to start with.  So you get the best pitcher in baseball but severly downgrade your bullpen, your offense, and your future--all to improve by a 4 or 5 win margin in the starting rotation.  Just doesn't add up.

I like Buerhle, along with a few buy low signings, such as Harden or Sheets.  And you have to resign Papelbon or someone of his caliber to take the closer spot.  I do like the idea of trading Ellsbury if a good starter is the return.  (I am also of the opinion that he is gone once his contract is up, so this winter will bring the best return.)  As for replacing him...a two year stop-gap seems about right with the young OF talent in the system.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Might I also add, I would trade Iglesias for pitching talent as well.  Not convinced he is ever going to be a starting SS in MLB.  They have a younger guy in the system who plays with almost as much defensive skill.  Better to trade Iglesias now, if other teams value him, than let him hit <.250 in AAA ball for another season, IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Like to see Nelson Cruz in right. If Texas doesnt resign him long term. He is 31 and has a good arm. He is having great playoffs so price is going up. He is second year Arb.

If Texas finally goes with David Murphy full time in right, maybe a trade could happen.

Oh, he bats from the right side....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Crazy , I know: Lackey straight up for Rios. You are not going to trade Lackey back to the Angels for Wells' bad contract--the Angels won't take him back. Rios is one year removed from a decent year. Like CC he just never got it together last year with the White Sox. Jason Bay has about the same amount of $'s left on his Mets contract as  Lackey with the Mets.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    The White Sox won't take on more money ($45.75 million to $38 million) for a player who is two and a half year older than Rios. Perhaps if the Red Sox would throw in some cash, include Ryan Kalish or Josh Reddick as a Rios replacement, and/or take on the $2.5 million owed next year to veteran lefty reliever Will Ohman (because the White Sox have promising young arms in their bullpen).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Rios has really not been very good since 2007 (maybe 2008). however, he's got a better chance of turning things around in Boston than Lackey.

He's pretty balanced vs LHPs and RHPs (just .020 better vs lefties career).

I'd prefer a cheaper option who has an .825+ OPS vs LHPs to platoon with Reddick/Kalish next year. If he stinks vs RHPs, he'll be cheaper. However, any plan to trade lackey and get a usable piece is noteworthy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ranger will want a serious arm for Cruz

Possibly someone like a Matt Cain if Cruz keeps bashing his way through the WS

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Andrewmitch: Clay for Cruz straight up and then sign CJ Wilson...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Clay, who may be your best starter (especially long-term) and who plays on the cheap, for Cruz, who is a 31-year old OFer who can't keep David Murphy out of the lineup, and then go out and get into a bidding war for the best available FA pitcher.  Sounds like a recipe for financial ruin.  Is that you, Theo?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

The Lizard Bucchholz will never be a number one starter.
    It was Theo's man love that kept him from making deals that would have benefited the team.
    He should have been gone long ago.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Like for the about-to-be-injured Santana?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Rios has really not been very good since 2007 (maybe 2008). however, he's got a better chance of turning things around in Boston than Lackey. He's pretty balanced vs LHPs and RHPs (just .020 better vs lefties career). I'd prefer a cheaper option who has an .825+ OPS vs LHPs to platoon with Reddick/Kalish next year. If he stinks vs RHPs, he'll be cheaper. However, any plan to trade lackey and get a usable piece is noteworthy.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Rios is probably the most reasonable target in any trade of Lackey where you don't have to pay 90% of his salary. 

Rios is an excellent defensive player with a very good arm.  He has solid power and very good speed.  And he manages to combine all those skills into one crappy ballplayer...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Hilarious.

Sections
Shortcuts