RHB RF: who has best chance?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

RHB RF: who has best chance?

Many candidates have signed with other team and I believe Sox will add a RHB OFer via either FA signing or trade to platoon with Kalish. 

Who has the best chance?
    Your thoughts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Re: RHB RF: who has best chance?

Seanny, do you know if Juan Carlos Linares is playing Winter Baseball?  Linares is supposedly a 5 tool righthanded hitter who has experience in all 3 outfield positions and despite missing a portion of the 2011 Season at PawSox, just as Kalish did, both could be ready to help the Red Sox in RF.  Have seen all 3 players with the Sea Dogs and think it might be very fruitful if Reddick, Kalish and Linares competed in Spring Training for the RF and 4th outfielder position. Obviouosly,  it could make a difference if Reddick is traded for someone like Andrew Bailey and if Kalish is not fully recovered from his injury to be 100 percent in Spring Training.  All 3 young outfielders have a great deal of talent. With the younger outfielders in the organization behind the 3 of them, would not surprise me if the Red Sox want to see all 3 before spending or trading for another outfielder. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Darnell McDonald.
    Ben isn't worried about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Darnell MacDonald? After his wonderful year last year is definately in the mix,Not!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

If Crawford could play RF, then it might be worth trying Lavarnway in LF. As I recall with the exception of Yaz, the players that have patrolled LF at Fenway haven't been outstanding fielders. Williams, Yaz(the exception), Rice, Manny and a few others. Just a thought...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

Michael Morse would be a huge addition, hits for avg and pwr and can also play 1B. He's a 45-50 hr guy w/the Sox. He's not a kid, will be 30 on opening day and had some drug probs early in his career. The Nats want to keep him but wouldn't hurt for the Sox to kick-the-tires re. a trade. JMO but the Sox also need to start grooming Ellsbury's replacement as I fear he'll bolt faster than a scalded dog when he becomes a FA. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: RHB RF: who has best chance?:
    Like it or not Kalish or/Reddick unless they are traded for some broken down arm the sox can afford after theo the pig screwed them with contracts that will kill us for years and years to come while theo sit is chicago picking his a..
    Posted by teddybaseball009

Drew's contract is done, Dice-K's will be done this year, Lackey's contract has just been reduced, Beckett looked good in his first year of a contract....after that you have Crawford and Gonzalez.  Gonzo looks to be a bargain, that leaves Crawford....I'll give you that.  At least our damaging contracts that still exist are to younger players in their prime...the Yankees and Angels will be paying Arod and Pujols close to 30 mil a year when they are in their 40's

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: RHB RF: who has best chance?":
    If Crawford could play RF, then it might be worth trying Lavarnway in LF. As I recall with the exception of Yaz, the players that have patrolled LF at Fenway haven't been outstanding fielders. Williams, Yaz(the exception), Rice, Manny and a few others. Just a thought... Posted by BOSOX1941
    Carl Crawford could NEVER play rightfield at Fenway. While you don't necessarily have to have a cannon for an arm, you need to at least have a decent one. El Guapo would score from second on a base hit. The amount of runs he would cost them would totally negate the ground he may be able to cover...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Darnell MacDonald? After his wonderful year last year is definately in the mix,Not!!!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1

I voted for AJ, but irt DMac, after June, he hit .295/.367/.505/.871.  He was abysmal prior to that, but post-AS game, he was our 3rd best hitter after Ellsbury and Papi.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: RHB RF: who has best chance? : I voted for AJ, but irt DMac, after June, he hit .295/.367/.505/.871.  He was abysmal prior to that, but post-AS game, he was our 3rd best hitter after Ellsbury and Papi. Posted by Joebreidey
    I like Jones at the right price as well, Joe, but Dmac is brutal defensively. I don't ever want to see him in RF again. Outfield defense was a huuuge problem for 2010 team...would hate to see it be an issue again...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: RHB RF: who has best chance? : I voted for AJ, but irt DMac, after June, he hit .295/.367/.505/.871.  He was abysmal prior to that, but post-AS game, he was our 3rd best hitter after Ellsbury and Papi.
    Posted by Joebreidey

I said DMac because I believe that BC is just not worried about getting RH platoon guy.
    I too think that Andruw is a perfect fit for Fenway and the Sox.....been saying it for two years.
    Frankly, with as good as his defense is, I wouldn't mind seeing him full time in RF.....he could do no worse than Drew.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Posted by sportsbozo1

He most certainly is "in the mix" and is probably the most likely RH'd OF option right now.

As much as I hate his fielding in RF, he had provided a pretty good bat vs LHPs, in fact much better than our overall RF numbers last year:

Sox RF OPs the last 2 years:
    2011: .652
    2010: .801

DMac's OPS vs LHPs: 
    Career: .799
    2011: .804
    2010: .821

By the way:

Career overall OPS:
    Reddick: .706  (2011: .786)  vs RHPs: .694
    Kalish:    .710  (2011:   INJ)  vs RHPs:  .748

I feel more comfortable with DMac up to bat vs a LHP than Reddick/Kalish vs RHPs. However, Kalish and Reddick are both fine filding RF'ers, while DMac is about as bad as they get. (He's OK in LF and not horrible in CF, but he has looked lost in RF.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: RHB RF: who has best chance? : I said DMac because I believe that BC is just not worried about getting RH platoon guy. I too think that Andruw is a perfect fit for Fenway and the Sox.....been saying it for two years. Frankly, with as good as his defense is, I wouldn't mind seeing him full time in RF.....he could do no worse than Drew. Posted by Alibiike
    ?? Drew was probably the best defensive right fielder they've had in the last 25 years. His "issues" have been beaten to death on this board, but his defense was not one of them...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to "Re: RHB RF: who has best chance?": ?? Drew was probably the best defensive right fielder they've had in the last 25 years. His "issues" have been beaten to death on this board, but his defense was not one of them...
    Posted by jasko2248

I think he was referring to his bat the last 2 years.

Out of the 36 RF'ers with over 800 PAs the past 2 years, JD placed 33rd with a .733 OPS.  (Jones has been at .836 2010-2011, but in just 550 PAs)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: RHB RF: who has best chance? : I think he was referring to his bat the last 2 years. Out of the 36 RF'ers with over 800 PAs the past 2 years, JD placed 33rd with a .733 OPS.  (Jones has been at .836 2010-2011, but in just 550 PAs) Posted by moonslav59
    Yup, you're right, read it again. He mentioned "defense" in the sentence, so I guess I just assumed...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to "Re: RHB RF: who has best chance?": Yup, you're right, read it again. He mentioned "defense" in the sentence, so I guess I just assumed...
    Posted by jasko2248

Yes, I saw what you meant, but I think he meant that Jones is probably close to Drew in defense, but much better on offense.

I'm not sure how good Jones would be getting 550 PAs at this point in his career, but he'd be a nice platoon guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: RHB RF: who has best chance?": ?? Drew was probably the best defensive right fielder they've had in the last 25 years. His "issues" have been beaten to death on this board, but his defense was not one of them...
    Posted by jasko2248

I meant he could do no worse offensively, all the better for that matter. As far as defense, Jones is better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Reddick/Kalish are your RF'ers.
    Sox will concentrate on pitching in any sign or trade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

My apologies for mocking your "out of pocket" phrase in another thread. I am 70 years old and that was the first time in my life that I ever saw the phrase used. Just yesterday I learned that McKinley was no longer the President. LOL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to "Re: RHB RF: who has best chance?": Carl Crawford could NEVER play rightfield at Fenway. While you don't necessarily have to have a cannon for an arm, you need to at least have a decent one. El Guapo would score from second on a base hit. The amount of runs he would cost them would totally negate the ground he may be able to cover...
    Posted by jasko2248

Yeah, I agree, that's why I said if he could play right field. Maybe Lavarnway could give it a go in RF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: RHB RF: who has best chance? : Yeah, I agree, that's why I said if he could play right field. Maybe Lavarnway could give it a go in RF.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

'41, Lavarnway hasn't played the OF since his junior year in College. they made him the catcher his senior year, due to necessity. Sox drafted him for his bat, but see him as a catcher.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondosack. Show hondosack's posts

In Response to RHB RF: who has best chance?:
    Many candidates have signed with other team and I believe Sox will add a RHB OFer via either FA signing or trade to platoon with Kalish.  Who has the best chance? Your thoughts.
    Posted by seannybboi

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: RHB RF: who has best chance? : '41, Lavarnway hasn't played the OF since his junior year in College. He was so good they made him the catcher his last year. Sox drafted him for his bat, but see him as a catcher.
    Posted by J-BAY

I wonder if he was made catcher because he was a poor outfielder or if he was made catcher because it's easier to find someone that can play outfield than it is to find a competent catcher that can hit?? I'd like to know more about his outfield play in college.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: RHB RF: who has best chance? : I wonder if he was made catcher because he was a poor outfielder or if he was made catcher because it's easier to find someone that can play outfield than it is to find a competent catcher that can hit?? I'd like to know more about his outfield play in college.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

He went to Yale, for his smarts, not his baseball, as they do not give athletic scholarships.  My brother saw him play both positions while there.  When the Red Sox drafted him, he commented Lavarnway was a five tool player. Said he was a decent fielder with a strong arm which I'm assuming is why when the catcher went down, they put him behind the plate, (word is he volunteered) liked it and remained a catcher. If I remember correctly, the sox drafted him after seeing him play in a summer league.

Sections
Shortcuts