RHH RF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

RHH RF

As trade rumors circulate and Boston continues to search for a RHH OF to platoon in RF, some of the more common names include Jeff Francoeur, Ryan Ludwick, and Conor Jackson.   Should the Sox be unable to acquire a player like this for reasons related to finances or outrageous asking prices, a few other less likely options remain that could be explored.  Some of them include:

Chris Denorfia (Padres) – Very underrated hitter and outfielder seemingly built for part time play.  Denorfia has shown to be a capable defender of any OF position and has hit both LHP and RHP very well in his career.   The Connecticut native is also is the answer to the trivia question “Who is the only major leaguer ever to come out of Wheaton College?”  There are plenty of reasons to think the Sox and Padres can work out a deal.

Matt Diaz (Pirates) – While the Pirates may not qualify as sellers, Diaz is buried behind some very talented players, all of whom are performing well.  The emergence of Alex Presley and the pending return of Jose Tabata figures to limits his playing time even further.  However, he has built a modest career on being the right-handed bat in corner OF platoons and has a career OPS of .881 vs. LHP.

Jason Michaels (Astros) – Not very likely, given his inability to hit anyone this year and the fact that he has built a reputation on being a very unpleasant person.  His .399 OBP that made him so attractive is now a distant memory.  Still, he won’t cost much, and has a career .281BA vs LHP.  Strikes me as Jay Payton Redux, however.

Cody Ross(Giants)  – If the Giants do get some offense elsewhere, Ross might be expendable and, unlike other RHH OFs such as Torres or Burrell, attractive to other teams.  The Sox have tried to get him before.  Ross can play all 3 OF positions very well and has some serious power.  Due to potential interest from other teams, he could potentially cost as much as Yamaico Navarro, although I would expect it to be a little less.  I don’t expect SF to settle for Luis Exposito.

Nolan Reimold (Orioles) – Reimold has yet to live up to the expectations the Orioles had for him, and has possibly made himself expendable.  Has shown to be a capable hitter with a .821 OPS vs. LHP.  Played CF in the minors, but the O’s have kept him in LF, although this probably has more to do with the players they have manning those other positions than anything else.  He won’t be as cheap as most of the other options on this list, and has 4 years of control beyond 2011. 

Johnny Gomes (Reds) – Monster power bat vs. LHP, but completely expendable in the National League.  The Reds would probably make him available, but Gomes has almost zero in the way of defensive skills.  The man couldn't catch a cold if he was naked in Norway.

Allen Craig (Cardinals) – Craig is a talented hitter who has actually fared better against RHP than LHP in his career.  The Cardinals have used him in numerous positions in his brief time there, including 1B, 2B, 3B, LF and RF, but this is more of an indication of their desire to get his bat in the lineup than any hint about his defensive skills.  Currently on the DL, Craig should complete rehab soon, but could come back to find himself expendable despite his “versatility”, due to the returns of Skip Schumaker and David Freese, as well as the emergence of John Jay.  While Schumaker leaves a lot to be desired as a 2B, Craig isn’t any better there defensively.  A trade of Lowrie for Craig (injury for injury) makes some sense in some ways, though it really turns into both teams gambling on the player returning healthy at some point.

From this list, I’d say Denorfia makes the most sense and is probably the most likely, but really isn't the sexy name fans want to see thrown around...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: RHH RF

I rather see Arizona fall further out of contention and then see if they're still willing to deal Justin Upton for an AGon like package (their rumored asking price last offseason).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I don't see the Sox taking on a player that's going to be a longterm solution (Drew's replacement) more so a guy that's accustom to coming off the bench or platooning...I also wouldn't rule out them aquiring a guy that's slated to become a free agent if they fell like Drew's bat won't come around.

JB, like you I'd love to see us add a player like Upton. I don't think the Diamondback's would trade him without getting a couple of blue chippers back in return, players I just don't see in our system. Our best ready for the big league prospects are Kalish and Reddick, while both are projectable everyday players, niether are projectable impact players...the guy I'd love to see us go get is Pence who I think is the perfect solution to our RF longterm needs...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Beantowne gets it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: RHH RF:
    I don't see the Sox taking on a player that's going to be a longterm solution (Drew's replacement) more so a guy that's accustom to coming off the bench or platooning...I also wouldn't rule out them aquiring a guy that's slated to become a free agent if they fell like Drew's bat won't come around. JB, like you I'd love to see us add a player like Upton. I don't think the Diamondback's would trade him without getting a couple of blue chippers back in return, players I just don't see in our system. Our best ready for the big league prospects are Kalish and Reddick, while both are projectable everyday players, niether are projectable impact players...the guy I'd love to see us go get is Pence who I think is the perfect solution to our RF longterm needs...
    Posted by Beantowne

I completely agree with you, but I think the Sox could put together a package that could entice the D Back's, although it would certainly hurt.  Something along the lines of Ranaudo + one of Iggy/Navarro/Middlebrooks + 1 of Brentz/Reddick/Kalish + another lesser piece (Tejeda?).

Stephen Drew is a FA after 2012 (mutual option for 2013), so the long term SS need is there for Arizona.  Reddick and Kalish are MLB ready or near MLB ready, while Brentz has higher upside, but is further away.  The deal is on par with what was given up for AGon and the Sox get a long term, affordable solution for RF who hits right handed.

Obviously this is contingent on the D Backs willingness to trade Upton, although they were open to the idea last offseason and could fall out of the race in the next 2 weeks (3.5GB right now).

I think it's more likely we see a deal for a rental player for the 2nd half (or Reddick) and then explore a major move in the offseason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Hunter Pence, please....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

JB3,

i agree with your thoughts that if the Sox make a move in RF it will be much more likely a rental player.   i like the idea of playing reddick to see if he is going to be a solid player for at least the rest of the season.  he certainly can not hit less than drew's .230

i doubt that the Sox will want to further empty out the farm system for another high salary player who is not a number one type younger, starting pitcher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

What about Delmon Young of the Twins?
    He's a 25 year old career .290 hitter, who knocked in 112 runs last year.
    He's been injured and is rounding back into form.
    Has a tremendous arm.
    Was once considered the top prospect in MLB while he was in the Ray's system, before he was traded for Matt Garza.
    His age and upside make him interesting as more than a rental.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

JB3, i agree with your thoughts that if the Sox make a move in RF it will be much more likely a rental player.   i like the idea of playing reddick to see if he is going to be a solid player for at least the rest of the season.  he certainly can not hit less than drew's .230 i doubt that the Sox will want to further empty out the farm system for another high salary player who is not a number one type younger, starting pitcher.
    Posted by therimrattler

One of the benefits to waiting until the offseason for a major move is that the Sox will have signed many of this years draft picks, so there will be a clearer picture of how the farm system would look following such a deal.

The nice thing about Upton is that he's very affordable ($45M from 2012 - 2015) and has a low AAV of just $8.54M, which would give the Sox flexibility to stay under the CBT cap.

I agree that they won't go after another big money guy via trade though, which is why I think Kemp is completely out of the question.  Upton is a nice alternative eventhough he would cost more in terms of prospects.

The Sox still appear set (long term) for starting pitching with Lester, Beckett and Buchholz anchoring the rotation.  If Lackey comes back towards his career averages, the Sox rotation would be in good shape.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

What about Delmon Young of the Twins? He's a 25 year old career .290 hitter, who knocked in 112 runs last year. He's been injured and is rounding back into form. Has a tremendous arm. Was once considered the top prospect in MLB while he was in the Ray's system, before he was traded for Matt Garza. His age and upside make him interesting as more than a rental.
    Posted by tbrod

Certainly a good player to buy low on.  Depends on the asking price, he's arb eligible for next season, but he'd need to completely turn his season around for that to even be a consideration.  His line this season is fairly terrible.

.265/.290/.341 with 2 HR's and 1 SB in 56 games and he hasn't played RF since 2007.  While he's been a + defender this year, he hasn't had a positive UZR since 2007.

He's been even worse against lefties this year than righties.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

JB3, i agree with your thoughts that if the Sox make a move in RF it will be much more likely a rental player.   i like the idea of playing reddick to see if he is going to be a solid player for at least the rest of the season.  he certainly can not hit less than drew's .230 i doubt that the Sox will want to further empty out the farm system for another high salary player who is not a number one type younger, starting pitcher.
    Posted by therimrattler

Exactly why Beltran is the perfect acquisition.....complete Rental player for the rest of this year and he doesnt stand in the way of prospects for next year or add salary to next years payroll clouding the moves you could possible make in the offseason.....plus being a switchhitter, he could play all the time rather than platoon with JD Drew.

Sections
Shortcuts