Right Field Solution

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murf7. Show murf7's posts

Right Field Solution

The Angels are overloaded in the outfield and may consider shedding one or two right field capable players. How about doing a trade for Kendry Morales using some of our combined resources from major and minor league talent that would be desireable to them. Morales had some injury issues at the end of last year but appears to be coming back and would be available midway in the season.When he is 100% we would have a solid bat and pretty good arm for the right field position. Speed is a problem but we have two speedsters to help with coverage.
    Angels are in need of some bullpen help and some young outfielders to take over when Hunter,Wells & Abreu step down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Re: Right Field Solution

Morales can barely walk, let alone cover any OF position.
    When he did walk, he was a first baseman, only.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The "Right Field Solution" is to improve our pitching staff so balls are not flying all over RF and over the fences.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseball2006. Show baseball2006's posts

In Response to Right Field Solution:
    The Angels are overloaded in the outfield and may consider shedding one or two right field capable players. How about doing a trade for Kendry Morales using some of our combined resources from major and minor league talent that would be desireable to them. Morales had some injury issues at the end of last year but appears to be coming back and would be available midway in the season.When he is 100% we would have a solid bat and pretty good arm for the right field position. Speed is a problem but we have two speedsters to help with coverage. Angels are in need of some bullpen help and some young outfielders to take over when Hunter,Wells & Abreu step down.
    Posted by murf7

Where is this logic coming from? Morales has only played about 15-18 games in the outfield during his 5-plus year career. A fit for RF at Fenway, No Way!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't like this idea.

I'd rather bring back Trot Nixon or Dwight Evans ( maybe even Hawk Harrelson!) than put Morales in RF at Fenway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I'd rather bring back Trot Nixon or Dwight Evans ( maybe even Hawk Harrelson!) than put Morales in RF at Fenway.

Zilla...see now thats funny...well said...by the way I can play right field and I am available.  I play for chicken and beer...and a few dollars.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Right Field Solution:
    The Angels are overloaded in the outfield and may consider shedding one or two right field capable players. How about doing a trade for Kendry Morales using some of our combined resources from major and minor league talent that would be desireable to them. Morales had some injury issues at the end of last year but appears to be coming back and would be available midway in the season.When he is 100% we would have a solid bat and pretty good arm for the right field position. Speed is a problem but we have two speedsters to help with coverage. Angels are in need of some bullpen help and some young outfielders to take over when Hunter,Wells & Abreu step down.
    Posted by murf7

Don't understand the logic.... Trade for a player that runs slower than Krylon to play the largest RF in the game today.  You even state that he most likely will not be available until mid-season, and at that point we expect to have Kalish back anyway.   PLEASE..... explain this logic.  IF you need to borrow it I may have a slide rule I can give you to use to explain how Google works too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDShorty. Show JDShorty's posts

If anything more is done in RF, I would prefer a trade with philly. They have Pence in RF now, so they wont need any of their stellar RF players. They are deepest at that position as far as ML ready talent.... If anything is done i would want BC to seek out one of them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The Red Sox have an outfielder who avoids the fence like the plague. Balls going over his head are viewed as "plays that could not be made", when some MLB outfielders would make them without fanfare.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Who said Kalish will be MLB ready when he's healthy??????????
    Hank, are you referring to the rotting corpse playing LF for the next 100 years?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re-sign Nancy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Maggs Ordonez, opps...Boras...next...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Angels have a ton of outfielders, and they are all either awful outfielders, too good to deal or too expensive to want.

A better team with a crowded OF might be the Padres.   They have Quentin (LF) and Maybin (CF) starting, and recently-signed Mark Kotsay on the bench.  Will Venable probably starts in RF with a platoon partner.  Their choice for that partner includes Jesus Guzman, Kyle Blanks and Chris Denorfia.

Denorfia is the best defensive OF and hits LHP very well.  Guzman is the worst OF, but coming off a very good year at the plate.  Blanks is actually not a bad Oa pretty good OF for his size (though his arm is not suited for RF), and has yet to do anything offensively, but is the youngest and has the highest ceiling of the bunch...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Right Field Solution:
    If anything more is done in RF, I would prefer a trade with philly. They have Pence in RF now, so they wont need any of their stellar RF players. They are deepest at that position as far as ML ready talent.... If anything is done i would want BC to seek out one of them.
    Posted by JDShorty

Who do they have after Pence and Mayberry?  And they might platoon Mayberry in LF with Domenic Brown.

They dealt away Ben Francisco, and the recently-signed Scott Podsednik is not much for RF...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Angels have a ton of outfielders, and they are all either awful outfielders, too good to deal or too expensive to want. A better team with a crowded OF might be the Padres.   They have Quentin (LF) and Maybin (CF) starting, and recently-signed Mark Kotsay on the bench.  Will Venable probably starts in RF with a platoon partner.  Their choice for that partner includes Jesus Guzman, Kyle Blanks and Chris Denorfia. Denorfia is the best defensive OF and hits LHP very well.  Guzman is the worst OF, but coming off a very good year at the plate.  Blanks is actually not a bad Oa pretty good OF for his size (though his arm is not suited for RF), and has yet to do anything offensively, but is the youngest and has the highest ceiling of the bunch...
    Posted by notin

Denorfia would be a nice get. I like his .377 OBP vs LHPs and his fielding. He only makes $1.165M in 2012 and has 1 arb year left afterwards.

What do you think it would take from us to get him?

I don't suppose they'd want any of these players out of options: DMac, Bowden, and Atchison.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : Denorfia would be a nice get. I like his .377 OBP vs LHPs and his fielding. He only makes $1.165M in 2012 and has 1 arb year left afterwards. What do you think it would take from us to get him? I don't suppose they'd want any of these players out of options: DMac, Bowden, and Atchison.
    Posted by moonslav59

I doubt they'd care for MacDonald or Atchison, but they'd probably do cartwheels for Bowden.

It might be simplest to play Alex Hassan vs LHP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : I doubt they'd care for MacDonald or Atchison, but they'd probably do cartwheels for Bowden. It might be simplest to play Alex Hassan vs LHP.
    Posted by notin

I'd probably trade Bowden for him, but I admit, I'm only going by small sample size numbers and the word that he is a very good fielder.

As for Hassan, you mean vs LHPs instead of Crawford? I'm not sure he'd be any better (at fielding) in RF than DMac. (Good RH'd bat though.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Denorfia is a good defensive corner OF.  Tolerable in CF.

Local kid, from CT who is rapidly becoming a proud member of the Chad Gaudin All Stars, due to previous mention by me on this board.

Hassan might not be the best OF.  The point is that if the Sox want a RHH RF compliment with spending on Ross, Ludwick, or Splisborghs, an internal solution might be the simplest, whether the choice is Hassan, Lin or Linares.

That said, I bet they sign one of Spilsborghs, Ludwick or Ross...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Denorfia is a good defensive corner OF.  Tolerable in CF.

Local kid, from CT who is rapidly becoming a proud member of the Chad Gaudin All Stars, due to previous mention by me on this board.

Hassan might not be the best OF.  The point is that if the Sox want a RHH RF compliment with out spending on Ross, Ludwick, or Splisborghs, an internal solution might be the simplest, whether the choice is Hassan, Lin or Linares.

That said, I bet they sign one of Spilsborghs, Ludwick or Ross...

(I'm assuming you meant without, so I added the out in red.)

I still think they'll go with DMac if they stay "internal". As much as I cringe anytime a ball is hit to him in RF, he does bring an .800 OPS vs LHPs.

As I have said many times, I prefer we spend whatever is left in the budget on pitching upgrades, but if we do go outside the system, I like Ross, even with his recent struggles.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from murf7. Show murf7's posts

The Nationals would love to get Fielder.Do you think they would consider trading J Werth to free up some salary and if so could the Sox package anything of interest to do that deal

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The Nationals would love to get Fielder.Do you think they would consider trading J Werth to free up some salary and if so could the Sox package anything of interest to do that deal
    Posted by murf7

The soon-to-be-33-year-old-Werth had an OPS of .718 in Little League in 2011.  In the Babe Ruth League in 2011, DMac's OPS was .704 (.804 vs RHP), and Ryan Sweeney's was .687 (.743 vs RHP).

Perhaps Werth will bounce back in 2012, but factor in the $112m owed Werth through 2017 and I would take our platoon over Jayson every time.

We need pitching.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : The soon-to-be-33-year-old-Werth had an OPS of .718 in Little League in 2011.  In the Babe Ruth League in 2011, DMac's OPS was .704 (.804 vs RHP), and Ryan Sweeney's was .687 (.743 vs RHP). Perhaps Werth will bounce back in 2012, but factor in the $112m owed Werth through 2017 and I would take our platoon over Jayson every time. We need pitching.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars

I wouldn't take Werth if they offered to pay half his deal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : The soon-to-be-33-year-old-Werth had an OPS of .718 in Little League in 2011In the Babe Ruth League in 2011, DMac's OPS was .704 (.804 vs RHP), and Ryan Sweeney's was .687 (.743 vs RHP). Perhaps Werth will bounce back in 2012, but factor in the $112m owed Werth through 2017 and I would take our platoon over Jayson every time. We need pitching.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars

The "Little League" has toppled the "Babe Ruth League" in the last two World Series and in the last two All Star Games.

Sections
Shortcuts