Right Field Solution

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Right Field Solution

In Response to Re: Right Field Solution:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : The "Little League" has toppled the "Babe Ruth League" in the last two World Series and in the last two All Star Games.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Hill, I am aware of those small samples and the fact of the larger sample of the interleague play domination by the League of Americans declining for years. But I still think the AL is the stronger league (not to mention the Division of Death we play in) - certainly in depth - and as a lifelong AL guy I love mocking the NL and winding up its supporters.  ;-)

Especially after hearing throughout my entire youth about how great the NL was!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : Hill, I am aware of those small samples and the fact of the larger sample of the interleague play domination by the League of Americans declining for years. But I still think the AL is the stronger league (not to mention the Division of Death we play in) - certainly in depth - and as a lifelong AL guy I love mocking the NL and winding up its supporters.  ;-) Especially after hearing throughout my entire youth about how great the NL was!
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]
    Teams from the "Division of Death" have lost four straight postseason series.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : Teams from the "Division of Death" have lost four straight postseason series.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

That is true, in those recent short series the AL East teams have not performed well enough to win.

Over recent 162-game seasons - despite having to play each other frequently in the unbalanced schedule - how often has the wild card been from the AL East?  Had there been a 2nd wild card team, how often would it have also been from the AL East?

Finally, I assume you're playing the Devil's Advocate....or do really think the AL East, and AL overall, is inferior to the NL (and the other provincial rabble)?   ;-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : That is true, in those recent short series the AL East teams have not performed well enough to win. Over recent 162-game seasons - despite having to play each other frequently in the unbalanced schedule - how often has the wild card been from the AL East?  Had there been a 2nd wild card team, how often would it have also been from the AL East? Finally, I assume you're playing the Devil's Advocate....or do really think the AL East, and AL overall, is inferior to the NL (and the other provincial rabble)?   ;-)
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]
    Divisions and leagues are remarkably balanced.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : Divisions and leagues are remarkably balanced.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

While I agree that MLB is getting more balanced with 5 new champs each of the last 5 years and something like 9 of the last 11, but looking at the best 3 teams from each division over the past 4 years...

NYY  97  95  103  89  
    BOS  90  89    95  95  
    TB     91  96    84  97  

DET  95   81    86  74
    CWS 79  88    79  89
    MN    63  94    87  88 (CLE  80 in 2011)

TEX   96   90   87   79
    ANA   86  80   97  100
    OAK   74  81   75    75 (Sea 85 in 2009)

PHI   102  97  93  92
    ATL    89   91  86  72
    FLA   72    80  87  84 (NYM 89 in 2008)

STL   90   86  91   86
    MIL   96   77  80   90
    CIN   79   91  78   74 (Cubs 97 in '08)

SFG  86   92  88  72
    LAD  82  80   95  84
    COL  73  83   92  74  (AZ 94 in '11/SDP 90 in '09)

90+  85-89 Wins
    AL East  10      2
    AL Cent    2      5
    AL West   4      3
    NL East    5      4
    NL Cent   5       2
    NL West   5      3  
    (NL West did have 5 different teams with 1 year over 90 wins)

Gotta say the AL East has clearly had the better top 2-3 teams of all MLBdivisions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Chris Denorfia---sounds like a good RF solution. I think Brent Lillibridge is a younger and perhaps a more versatile guy from the White Sox. It would be nice to add another New Englander to the Sox but I think Brent L. might be less expensive and would be under team control through 2016

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I just cannot let it go: uh yeah let us aquire a guy who has only played MORE THAN 57 GAMES once in his career... brilliant!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]The "Right Field Solution" is to improve our pitching staff so balls are not flying all over RF and over the fences.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I like Moon's plan, I'd like the Yankees to follow the same strategy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Burrito are you talking about Denofria and Lillibridge---these are not household names but they come with better credentials and more games than Reddick, Kalish, and before he got a regular gig with the Yankees, Brett Gardner. Also , look no further than the wild card team from Tampa---how many of those guys played more than 57 games when Joe M gave them a shot. There's something to be said fot hungry ball players.

You guys seem to be hoping that a Josh Hamilton is going to drop out of the sky for the MLB minimum. I think Sweeney and either Chris or Brent would do as well if not better than the other corner, CC, did this past year for $20 M.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]The Nationals would love to get Fielder.Do you think they would consider trading J Werth to free up some salary and if so could the Sox package anything of interest to do that deal
    Posted by murf7[/QUOTE]

I would consider trading CC for Werth then slotting Werth in RF.
    Then platoon Sweeney and Lavarnway in LF. 
    That's not going to solve your Prince situation.
    How about Werth, Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse and a 4 or 5 starter for Youk,  Buchholz and Ells.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

I'd trade Crawul for Werth in a heartbeat.
    As for this "minor league" garbage about the NL,
    hey bozo, do the names Miguel Cabrera, Josh Hamilton, Adrian Beltre, Vlad Guerreo, Adrian Gonzalez, Paul Konerko,and Jose Bautista ring any bells?
    They all came over from that "minor league" and ripped up the A.L.
    Get the picture? Duh!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The solution is Weenie and Mac, and 30 million for 1 player called the best player in MLB and the other called one of the best players in MLB, a little over a year ago.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]The solution is Weenie and Mac, and 30 million for 1 player called the best player in MLB and the other called one of the best players in MLB, a little over a year ago.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

And the answer is?????????

Who were the best players you refer to????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

k

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Play 8, and let Crawford and Ells cover it, sine they have no one. Either that or may as well sign up Drew again. But most of the fans here view the RS through rose-colored glasses. They believe that Ben is a seasoned GM who knows exactly what he is doing, even though we are weaker on the bench and in RF. Last year everyone believed in Josh Reddick as the heir apparent to Drew. Those same folk are now fine that he was traded because, Ben knows. We still only have 2 1/2 sorters for 2012. I say 1/2 because know one knows if Buchholz can still be an effective pitcher or if he will be healthy for that matter. I also say 1/2, because even when he could pitch, he rarely went mor than 5 innings. But go ahead, keep on believing that our core of Beckett, Lester, Pedey, Youk, Ells, Agon, and Youk (maybe) can carry this team, cause that's all we have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Ryan Ludwick is off the board, according to these tweets from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports:

https://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal/status/159109883545927680

https://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal/status/159110342323085312

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Right Field Solution": [QUOTE]Ryan Ludwick is off the board, according to these tweets from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports: https://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal/status/159109883545927680 https://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal/status/159110342323085312 Posted by hill55[/QUOTE] 1 year/2.5 million...not bad...I'm sure he wanted an opportunity to play full time and Sweeney would likely get the nod over him against righties.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... even though we are weaker on the bench and in RF. ...

How can we be weaker in RF?

This is what we got in RF in 2011:
    Drew 270 PAs  .638 OPS
    Redd 192/.676
    DMac  86/.801
    Cam   84/.316

Total: 649 PAs  .233/.299/.353/.652

2012 RF:
    vs RHPs: Sweeney .296/.352/.402/.754
    vs LHPs:  D. Mac    .285/.348/.451/.799

I can see an easy 100 point gain in RF OPS for 2012.
    Sweeney is a good fielder.

Our bench is weaker?
    2011:
    Lowrie (341)  .685 OPS
    Redd   (278)  .784 OPS
    VTek   (250)  .723 OPS
    DMac  (175)  .704 OPS
    Aviles (107)  .775 OPS
    Cam   (105)  .477 OPS

More of Aviles and Punto are better than Lowrie.

Everyone but me seems to think Shoppach is better than VTek.
    DMac & Aviles will be the back-up OF'ers. They don't field as well as Reddick & Cam, but they should hit better than them combined.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Pineda/Montero swap does create another potential partner for the Sox.  Depending on where Montero plays (C or DH), the Mariners now have an excess of OF.  I assume for defensive reasons, their OF would be Robinson in LF, Gutierrez in CF and Ichiro in RF.  This leaves Casper Wells and Michael Saunders on the bench if Montero is DH, and one of them on the bench if Montero catches.  I know Ichiro is a potential FA after 2012 and Gutierrez is a FA after 2013, but both are also very important to that team (even when Gutierrez hits like he did last year).  I would not be surprised if Ichiro was brought back for 2013 and possibly even 2014 given his popularity and performance.

Long story short, I would not be surprised if the Mariners would listen to offers for Wells.  Wells is a decent hitter with good RH power.  Defensively, UZR places him above average at all three OF positions, although small sample sizes could be skewing the numbers.  His RH power abilities should make him attractive to Boston, however.  He’s sort of like Cody Ross in many ways.  If the Cook proves healthy, a factor the contract he received indicates that if he is not, will severely limit his time in Boston, the Sox have potentially 2 out-of-options pitchers who might suffer from a roster squeeze: Bowden and Doubront.  Seattle isn’t typically in the hunt for pitching help, even in the wake of Pineda’s departure, and generally prefers offense.  But they are undoubtedly amenable to acquiring tradable young pitching.  And any young MLB-ready pitcher with a miniscule salary is tradable somewhere.

Of these two, I would have to think Doubront is the far more attractive.  He has more control remaining, throws left-handed (which means opposing teams use more right-handed platoon hitter and pinch hitters to fall victim to the cavernous left field in Safeco if they keep him), and quite simply, is the better pitcher of the two.

As I don’t know Seattle’s long term plans or how 27yo Wells fits into them, it’s hard to say this matchup is obvious.  However, I would hope the Sox look into it once the dust settles regarding their own rotation.  They might even have to sweeten the package a little for Seattle (a potential deal breaker), since Wells was the key to the Fister trade and therefore has some benefit in the eyes of their front office.  However, it is absolutely worth looking into from Boston’s perspective.  The deal might be Doubront AND Bowden for Wells, as it is possible both are squeezed out of roster spots.   And for Casper Wells, Fister trade or not, it is hard to imagine Seattle walking away from getting TWO young pitchers.  At that point, Seattle might have to throw something back Boston’s way.  Don’t expect it to be topflight talent.  It would probably be an upper level pitcher like Edward Paredes, Dan Cortes or Chaz Roe – basically someone to help fill Boston’s pitching depth but still with option(s) remaining, and also readily replaceable for the Mariners.  Let’s face it, they are not going to jeopardize their future to help the Sox too much, as selfish as that sounds.

Gutierrez should also appeal to Boston, although his $5.6mill AAV contract (through 2103 with an option) limits what Boston can send back.  Doubtful Seattle cares to acquire Scutaro or Jenks, unless their goal is to simply get out of the future of Gutierrez deal ($5.5mill in 2012, $7mill in 2013, $7.5mill team option in 2014 with a $500K buyout).  This is possible, given Gutierrez’ 2011 offensive performance, but unlikely because as I said before, he brings a lot more to the table with his defense. 

But a Doubront(and Bowden?)/Wells(+?) deal would be beneficial to Boston, despite the depletion of young pitching depth.  Would it be for Seattle, short and long term?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]The Pineda/Montero swap does create another potential partner for the Sox.  Depending on where Montero plays (C or DH), the Mariners now have an excess of OF.  I assume for defensive reasons, their OF would be Robinson in LF, Gutierrez in CF and Ichiro in RF.  This leaves Casper Wells and Michael Saunders on the bench if Montero is DH, and one of them on the bench if Montero catches.  I know Ichiro is a potential FA after 2012 and Gutierrez is a FA after 2013, but both are also very important to that team (even when Gutierrez hits like he did last year).  I would not be surprised if Ichiro was brought back for 2013 and possibly even 2014 given his popularity and performance. Long story short, I would not be surprised if the Mariners would listen to offers for Wells.  Wells is a decent hitter with good RH power.  Defensively, UZR places him above average at all three OF positions, although small sample sizes could be skewing the numbers.  His RH power abilities should make him attractive to Boston, however.  He’s sort of like Cody Ross in many ways.  If the Cook proves healthy, a factor the contract he received indicates that if he is not, will severely limit his time in Boston, the Sox have potentially 2 out-of-options pitchers who might suffer from a roster squeeze: Bowden and Doubront.  Seattle isn’t typically in the hunt for pitching help, even in the wake of Pineda’s departure, and generally prefers offense.  But they are undoubtedly amenable to acquiring tradable young pitching.  And any young MLB-ready pitcher with a miniscule salary is tradable somewhere. Of these two, I would have to think Doubront is the far more attractive.  He has more control remaining, throws left-handed (which means opposing teams use more right-handed platoon hitter and pinch hitters to fall victim to the cavernous left field in Safeco if they keep him), and quite simply, is the better pitcher of the two. As I don’t know Seattle’s long term plans or how 27yo Wells fits into them, it’s hard to say this matchup is obvious.  However, I would hope the Sox look into it once the dust settles regarding their own rotation.  They might even have to sweeten the package a little for Seattle (a potential deal breaker), since Wells was the key to the Fister trade and therefore has some benefit in the eyes of their front office.  However, it is absolutely worth looking into from Boston’s perspective.  The deal might be Doubront AND Bowden for Wells, as it is possible both are squeezed out of roster spots.   And for Casper Wells, Fister trade or not, it is hard to imagine Seattle walking away from getting TWO young pitchers.  At that point, Seattle might have to throw something back Boston’s way.  Don’t expect it to be topflight talent.  It would probably be an upper level pitcher like Edward Paredes, Dan Cortes or Chaz Roe – basically someone to help fill Boston’s pitching depth but still with option(s) remaining, and also readily replaceable for the Mariners.  Let’s face it, they are not going to jeopardize their future to help the Sox too much, as selfish as that sounds. Gutierrez should also appeal to Boston, although his $5.6mill AAV contract (through 2103 with an option) limits what Boston can send back.  Doubtful Seattle cares to acquire Scutaro or Jenks, unless their goal is to simply get out of the future of Gutierrez deal ($5.5mill in 2012, $7mill in 2013, $7.5mill team option in 2014 with a $500K buyout).  This is possible, given Gutierrez’ 2011 offensive performance, but unlikely because as I said before, he brings a lot more to the table with his defense.  But a Doubront(and Bowden?)/Wells(+?) deal would be beneficial to Boston, despite the depletion of young pitching depth.  Would it be for Seattle, short and long term?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    I've often thought Casper Wells would be a great fit in Boston, but I highly doubt the Mariners will make him available. Many Seattle fans see Wells as the next Jay Buhner because of his skillset offensively and defensively.

The Mariners will likely rotate Wells, Mike Carp, Jesus Montero and Justin Smoak in the DH/1B/LF slots to open the season (unless Montero is sent down to Tacoma to work on his catching skills and to give the M's an additional year of control).

Trayvon Robinson may be the odd man out in the Seattle outfield, but I question whether the switch-hitter could handle rightfield at Fenway Park.

Seattle's Mike Wilson, a 28-year-old who tore up the Pacific Coast League last season, is a decent rightfielder and would cost little.

The Washington Natilonals signed Dan Cortes after the Mariners non-tendered the righthander. Chaz Roe is a free agent after the Mariners designated him for assignment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : I've often thought Casper Wells would be a great fit in Boston, but I highly doubt the Mariners will make him available. Many Seattle fans see Wells as the next Jay Buhner because of his skillset offensively and defensively. The Mariners will likely rotate Wells, Mike Carp, Jesus Montero and Justin Smoak in the DH/1B/LF slots to open the season (unless Montero is sent down to Tacoma to work on his catching skills and to give the M's an additional year of control). Trayvon Robinson may be the odd man out in the Seattle outfield, but I question whether the switch-hitter could handle rightfield at Fenway Park. Seattle's Mike Wilson, a 28-year-old who tore up the Pacific Coast League last season, is a decent rightfielder and would cost little. The Washington Natilonals signed Dan Cortes after the Mariners non-tendered the righthander. Chaz Roe is a free agent after the Mariners designated him for assignment.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

As for Wilson, you have to remember that PCL batting averages are somewhat akin to SAT scores; you get 200 points just for showing up.

I forgot about Carp, who further clouds the situation. (As does John Jaso, whose presence along with Olivo probably does clinch Montero starting out in Tacoma until at least late May.)  Carp is not much of an OF, as you must have noticed.  I do think it odd that Trayvon Robinson is the odd man out.  I figured the Mariners might be more keen on his broader skill set of that of Wells.  Defensively, he can certainly cover the ground in RF at Fenway.  The biggest concern is that his arm is not exactly RF Grade.  It’s not as bad, but he is no Reddick when it comes time to throw the ball, either.  To me, the most ideal player in all of MLB for RF at Fenway is probably Carlos Gomez, however, he is pretty much absent offensively.  The other concern with Robinson is his tendency to be a little reckless, and one would hope he and Ellsbury, a bit reckless himself, might collide at some point.  (Gomez is equally reckless, if not moreso, and is significantly faster, increasing the danger.)

The bottom line is the Mariners clearly have a glut of players capable of handling DH, 1B, LF and catcher.  And while they rarely cry about depleted pitching, they hopefully would listen.  And I’d think the Sox might be in on a Bowden-Robinson swap, and hope the Mariners might be as well.  Bowden was a closer in Pawtucket, giving the Mariners some potential flexibility to deal (or negotiate) with League when the time comes.  Robinson might be a gamble for Boston, but right now the default is Sweeney, and he will be the worst they do there. 

I also think Robinson is out of options (little help?), which might influence Seattle’s decision to move him along. A Bowden-Robinson swap could easily work out for both sides, and at the very worst it leaves both teams at status quo.

But I do agree Wells would be preferable.  However, if you are right then that might take a more impressive offer than Boston should be making, all things considered.  It is worth noting that fan opinion has zero influence on player availability.  If it mattered, no top prospect would ever be traded…

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : As for Wilson, you have to remember that PCL batting averages are somewhat akin to SAT scores; you get 200 points just for showing up.   I forgot about Carp, who further clouds the situation. (As does John Jaso, whose presence along with Olivo probably does clinch Montero starting out in Tacoma until at least late May.)  Carp is not much of an OF, as you must have noticed.  I do think it odd that Trayvon Robinson is the odd man out.  I figured the Mariners might be more keen on his broader skill set of that of Wells.  Defensively, he can certainly cover the ground in RF at Fenway.  The biggest concern is that his arm is not exactly RF Grade.  It’s not as bad, but he is no Reddick when it comes time to throw the ball, either.  To me, the most ideal player in all of MLB for RF at Fenway is probably Carlos Gomez, however, he is pretty much absent offensively.  The other concern with Robinson is his tendency to be a little reckless, and one would hope he and Ellsbury, a bit reckless himself, might collide at some point.  (Gomez is equally reckless, if not moreso, and is significantly faster, increasing the danger.)   The bottom line is the Mariners clearly have a glut of players capable of handling DH, 1B, LF and catcher.  And while they rarely cry about depleted pitching, they hopefully would listen.  And I’d think the Sox might be in on a Bowden-Robinson swap, and hope the Mariners might be as well.  Bowden was a closer in Pawtucket, giving the Mariners some potential flexibility to deal (or negotiate) with League when the time comes.  Robinson might be a gamble for Boston, but right now the default is Sweeney, and he will be the worst they do there.    I also think Robinson is out of options (little help?), which might influence Seattle’s decision to move him along. A Bowden-Robinson swap could easily work out for both sides, and at the very worst it leaves both teams at status quo.   But I do agree Wells would be preferable.  However, if you are right then that might take a more impressive offer than Boston should be making, all things considered.  It is worth noting that fan opinion has zero influence on player availability.  If it mattered, no top prospect would ever be traded…
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    The Seattle front office has high hopes for Casper Wells and Mike Carp (the latter has been compared to Raul Ibanez: a late-blooming, lefthand-hitting, righthand-throwing 6-foot-2, 215-pound conditioning disciple with some power making the transition from first base to what the M's hope is a serviceable leftfielder). Wells and Carp may platoon in leftfield this season while Wells may be Ichiro's successor in rightfield in 2013.

Wells is a great defender with a cannon arm while Trayvon Robinson appeared lost in the outfield during his MLB call-up last season. I'm 95 percent sure that Robinson has options left, so the switch-hitter is likely Tacoma-bound.

The Red Sox fans should be pleasantly surprised with Ryan Sweeney, who is a far safer bet than Robinson.

PS: An International League pitcher gets a run taken off his ERA just for showing up.Smile

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Hey, cut Robinson some slack.  Surely you sae him rob Torii Hunter of that home run.

Robinson may have looked lost in his first call up, but his defense has always gotten some praise from scouts, except for his arm.

I think Sweeney will be fine, athough a RHH platoon partner would work out.  At this point I am more worried about Crawford.

And your IL pitching joke lacks a non-baseball reference to serve as a punch line.  It's missing something, but keep trying... ;)