Right Field Solution

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Right Field Solution

Great exchange guys. I wish all tyhreads could be as insightful as this page has been.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Right Field Solution:
    [QUOTE]Hey, cut Robinson some slack.  Surely you sae him rob Torii Hunter of that home run. Robinson may have looked lost in his first call up, but his defense has always gotten some praise from scouts, except for his arm. I think Sweeney will be fine, athough a RHH platoon partner would work out.  At this point I am more worried about Crawford. And your IL pitching joke lacks a non-baseball reference to serve as a punch line.  It's missing something, but keep trying... ;)
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Trayvon Robinson's catch of a Torii Hunter drive in his MLB debut was indeed a thing of beauty:

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17696683&c_id=mlb

I could see the Mariners making Robinson available. Whom could the Red Sox offer? Would Garin Cecchini too much? Too little?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Casper Wells' batting stats are AWFUL! Why is anyone talking about trying to get this guy?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I could see the Mariners making Robinson available. Whom could the Red Sox offer? Would Garin Cecchini too much? Too little?

Could we ask for a do-over and cancel getting Bedard last year?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Casper Wells' batting stats are AWFUL! Why is anyone talking about trying to get this guy?
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]
    Casper Wells is a defensive whiz who has an OPS+ of 119 in 340 MLB plate appearances.

As a point of reference, Josh Reddick has an OPS+ of 86 in 375 MLB plate appearances, including and OPS+ of 109 in 278 plate appearances in his "breakout" season last year. Ryan Kalish has an OPS+ of 88 in 163 MLB plate appearances. Through his age 28 season, Kevin Youkilis had an OPS+ of 109 in 1,648 plate appearances.

I hope that answers your question.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : Casper Wells is a defensive whiz who has an OPS+ of 119 in 340 MLB plate appearances. As a point of reference, Josh Reddick has an OPS+ of 86 in 375 MLB plate appearances, including and OPS+ of 109 in 278 plate appearances in his "breakout" season last year. Ryan Kalish has an OPS+ of 88 in 163 MLB plate appearances. Through his age 28 season, Kevin Youkilis had an OPS+ of 109 in 1,648 plate appearances. I hope that answers your question.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

It won't, since Ghost of Fritos hated Reddick and anyone else without a proven ML record.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Yaz' career OPS+ was 129.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Wow! Hillbillly Reddick is our measuring stick?
    Breakout what? His WWF belt from Rick Flair?
    Moonbat has to chime in, as always.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE]Play 8, and let Crawford and Ells cover it, sine they have no one. Either that or may as well sign up Drew again. But most of the fans here view the RS through rose-colored glasses. They believe that Ben is a seasoned GM who knows exactly what he is doing, even though we are weaker on the bench and in RF. Last year everyone believed in Josh Reddick as the heir apparent to Drew. Those same folk are now fine that he was traded because, Ben knows. We still only have 2 1/2 sorters for 2012. I say 1/2 because know one knows if Buchholz can still be an effective pitcher or if he will be healthy for that matter. I also say 1/2, because even when he could pitch, he rarely went mor than 5 innings. But go ahead, keep on believing that our core of Beckett, Lester, Pedey, Youk, Ells, Agon, and Youk (maybe) can carry this team, cause that's all we have.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Reddick was one of my favorite prospects and I hated to see him go but he apparently had to in order to get Bailey.  I wish him the best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : Trayvon Robinson's catch of a Torii Hunter drive in his MLB debut was indeed a thing of beauty: http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17696683&c_id=mlb I could see the Mariners making Robinson available. Whom could the Red Sox offer? Would Garin Cecchini too much? Too little?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Not sure I'd offer Cecchini for Robinson. 

I'd offer Middlebrooks before Cecchini right now...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : Not sure I'd offer Cecchini for Robinson.  I'd offer Middlebrooks before Cecchini right now...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    So would I if I were the Red Sox general manager.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston. Show LegendofBoston's posts

[QUOTE]Play 8, and let Crawford and Ells cover it, sine they have no one. Either that or may as well sign up Drew again. But most of the fans here view the RS through rose-colored glasses. They believe that Ben is a seasoned GM who knows exactly what he is doing, even though we are weaker on the bench and in RF. Last year everyone believed in Josh Reddick as the heir apparent to Drew. Those same folk are now fine that he was traded because, Ben knows. We still only have 2 1/2 sorters for 2012. I say 1/2 because know one knows if Buchholz can still be an effective pitcher or if he will be healthy for that matter. I also say 1/2, because even when he could pitch, he rarely went mor than 5 innings. But go ahead, keep on believing that our core of Beckett, Lester, Pedey, Youk, Ells, Agon, and Youk Beckett, Lester, Pedey, Youk, Ells, Agon, and Youk (maybe) can carry this team, cause that's all we have.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Ok let me help clear a few things up for you, seeing how your post is very hard to read with your pathetic ranting. We needed to make that Reddick trade for the sole purpose of filling our biggest need (stopper Bailey)who btw just saved us a ton of money at that position  with not having to resign Paps. Next we are stockpilling pitchers as we speak , and I for one believes atleast one of the many starters we signed will eat some innings, and honestly thats what we need most. Add to that Ryan Sweeney who i project to do very well at Fenway both offensively and defensively. He will most likely platoon with Darnell MCdonald in right until Kalish is ready around May or June. As to your rediculous statement of ALL the Sox have is Beckett, Lester, Pedey, Youk, Ells, Agon, and Youk as our core, your wrong again. Bard, Aceves, Bailey, Buck(when healthy) ALL have had some good success in this league and will contribute this season for us. Youk i see being moved and unfortuneately probably Ells too before this season is out. We have some good talent, hopefully Bobby V can whip these guys into shape, and right the ship. The talent is there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : Ok let me help clear a few things up for you, seeing how your post is very hard to read with your pathetic ranting. We needed to make that Reddick trade for the sole purpose of filling our biggest need (stopper Bailey)who btw just saved us a ton of money at that position  with not having to resign Paps. Next we are stockpilling pitchers as we speak , and I for one believes atleast one of the many starters we signed will eat some innings, and honestly thats what we need most. Add to that Ryan Sweeney who i project to do very well at Fenway both offensively and defensively. He will most likely platoon with Darnell MCdonald in right until Kalish is ready around May or June. As to your rediculous statement of ALL the Sox have is Beckett, Lester, Pedey, Youk, Ells, Agon, and Youk as our core, your wrong again. Bard, Aceves, Bailey, Buck(when healthy) ALL have had some good success in this league and will contribute this season for us. Youk i see being moved and unfortuneately probably Ells too before this season is out. We have some good talent, hopefully Bobby V can whip these guys into shape, and right the ship. The talent is there.
    Posted by LegendofBoston[/QUOTE]

Not to mention, he was describing a fairly large core to begin with.  Do people expect the "core" to have 25 names?  How big is the "core" in Tampa or Toronto?

Fans get a little too hypocritical with their "objectivity."  They see another team as having strengths and weaknesses, and those strengths are all they focus on.  They see the Sox having strengths and weaknesses, and the weaknesses are all they focus on.

One year ago, many were saying this was a great team.  some overstated it and called them "(one of) the best ever."

One year later, only Papelbon has left, and the same fans look at the same team and think "fourth place, maybe."  This in spite of Papelbon being repalced, and the rotation last year that had to rely on Weiland, Wakefield, Lackey, and Miller has replaced them with Cook, Silva, Doubront, and Germano.  Is that even a step down?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : Ok let me help clear a few things up for you, seeing how your post is very hard to read with your pathetic ranting. We needed to make that Reddick trade for the sole purpose of filling our biggest need (stopper Bailey)who btw just saved us a ton of money at that position  with not having to resign Paps. Next we are stockpilling pitchers as we speak , and I for one believes atleast one of the many starters we signed will eat some innings, and honestly thats what we need most. Add to that Ryan Sweeney who i project to do very well at Fenway both offensively and defensively. He will most likely platoon with Darnell MCdonald in right until Kalish is ready around May or June. As to your rediculous statement of ALL the Sox have is Beckett, Lester, Pedey, Youk, Ells, Agon, and Youk as our core, your wrong again. Bard, Aceves, Bailey, Buck(when healthy) ALL have had some good success in this league and will contribute this season for us. Youk i see being moved and unfortuneately probably Ells too before this season is out. We have some good talent, hopefully Bobby V can whip these guys into shape, and right the ship. The talent is there.
    Posted by LegendofBoston[/QUOTE]

One more thing - zero chance Ellsbury is gone.  Right move or not, he will be in Boston.  Both these guys are in Boston in April...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The sourness left over from September has clouded the minds of many a poster.  Yes, we have serious issues. So do other teams. Yes, we need some things to come together. So do other teams.

I don't mean to oversimplify, but things could look real good this year with just 2 of these three "ifs"...

1) If we stay more healthy, we'd see a big plus from Buch & Youk. That alone is like signing 2 top free agents.

2) If Bailey and Melacon can come close to what Paps gave us (with double the innings) our pen could surprise people even with bard or Aceves.

3) Replacing mostly horrible numbers from our bottom starters (Lackey, Wake, Miller, Weiland, and Bedard) with a combination of a returning Dice-K (mid-season), Bard, Aceves, Miller, Silva, Cook, Padilla, Doubront or others could make a huge difference (addition by subtraction).

I don't think I'm being overly optimistic that any of these 3 things could occur. If just one does and the others stay the same, it may be enough.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right Field Solution : Not to mention, he was describing a fairly large core to begin with.  Do people expect the "core" to have 25 names?  How big is the "core" in Tampa or Toronto? Fans get a little too hypocritical with their "objectivity."  They see another team as having strengths and weaknesses, and those strengths are all they focus on.  They see the Sox having strengths and weaknesses, and the weaknesses are all they focus on. One year ago, many were saying this was a great team.  some overstated it and called them "(one of) the best ever." One year later, only Papelbon has left, and the same fans look at the same team and think "fourth place, maybe."  This in spite of Papelbon being repalced, and the rotation last year that had to rely on Weiland, Wakefield, Lackey, and Miller has replaced them with Cook, Silva, Doubront, and Germano.  Is that even a step down?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I like the way you look at things, Notin.  I agree that we're not much different than last year and the real difference is in our expectations based on the way things turned sour in September.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Notin - all this logic and common sense coming from you is just going to get you in trouble around here.

IMO and as an interested outside party - the Red Sox as constructed are one of the playoff teams in 2012. As with all teams, certain issues may come up which can tilt a team one way or another. September of 2011 was basically a freak of nature. It is unlikely to happen again and as good as the Rays pitching staff may be, I still do not see them beating the Sox or Yanks out. One of the W.C. will come from the Al East - the Martinez injury will hurt Detroit and I am not convinced that Texas can repeat itself. 

All this screaming to trade Beckett and Els is insane. Boston is not in the rebuilding process. They are a contender who can win a championship in 2012. So you go for it and see where you are come October.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Cody Ross, where are you?  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Marlon Byrd? Lost 40 pounds and looking good...part of Theo comp.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Morales is out of the question...he has only played the OF 18 games of his 7 year career.  Additionally after he broke his leg and the long layoff...who knows how he will be affected?  Anybody in the Sox organization would be a better fit in RF than Morales.  His time with the Angels was spent at 1B...a position the Sox have covered and covered for many years to come.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]Cody Ross, where are you?  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space I like your persistence on Cody...your deam make come true by Sping Training...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd like Cody Ross, especially with CC out for a while, but if his contract prevents us from uprgrading our starters, I'd pass.

Sections
Shortcuts