Right fielder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Right fielder

In Response to Re: Right fielder:
    Players, coaches, and owners don't come to this forum.  I would be extremely surprised if any did. The forum only numbers about 200 and fifty of those are dual posters. Why would they care about the opinions of 150 people who are here for their own entertainment. The forum members are playing owner or manager and comparing their opinions vs. each other. It is nothing more or less. Why would players with RSN numbering 10 million fans be swayed by the opinions of just 150 of them?
    Posted by UticaClub

I know! And guys like softy actually think otherwise. He claimed Papi was slumping because some board members said he should be cut.

The irony of it all was that Papi may have read softy's post about sending him to AAA for a "fake rehab" in order to get his act together. He denies ever saying it now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

He claimed Papi was slumping because some board members said he should be cut.

False. Softlaw never said Ortiz was affected by what board members were saying. Softlaw said that it was absurd to cut Ortiz  

The irony of it all was that" in order to get his act together. He denies ever saying it now. Papi may have read softy's post about sending him to AAA for a "fake rehab

Nice to see that Ortiz reads Softlaw. Not surprising.

Softlaw, in May of year in question, said Ortiz should be given to the end of June before even considering releasing him. If at the end of June he did not come around, and Softlaw said he would, the majority of Red Sox fan and media lynching should take a back seat to a standard veteran injury/minor league rehab to remove him from rabid daily press briefings about whether he was washed up.

Moonslob, at the time in May, harping about Ortiz no longer being able to hit LHP, followed the Buster Wedgie Olney herd to release Ortiz in favor of Mike Lowell and Drew sharing DH duty.

He won't deny he was 100% wrong about Ortiz v. LP, but he will claim he only wanted Ortiz dropped in lineup, not released.

Folks, Moonslob is nothing more than a drone for whatever popular convention favors at the time. Varitek has been kicked to the curb so Moonslob has now claimed his defense of Varitek was only if Ortiz left and he is on board with Varitek departure. This, of course, is totally false. No one lobbied harder for Varitek and another contract than our resident stooge. Ditto on Wastefield.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox probably will bring in a low-cost, righthand-hitting option such as 35-year-old Reed Johnson, who is unlikely to sustain his 2011 BABIP* of .394 that resulted in a WAR** of 1.2 in 111 games:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1702&position=OF

* Batting Average/Balls in Play

** Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He claimed Papi was slumping because some board members said he should be cut.

False. Softlaw never said Ortiz was affected by what board members were saying. Softlaw said that it was absurd to cut Ortiz  

This is so absurd for you to continue pretending you are not softy. Your silliness is really a sickness.

The irony of it all was that" in order to get his act together. He denies ever saying it now. Papi may have read softy's post about sending him to AAA for a "fake rehab

Nice to see that Ortiz reads Softlaw. Not surprising.

Softlaw, in May of year in question, said Ortiz should be given to the end of June before even considering releasing him. If at the end of June he did not come around, and Softlaw said he would, the majority of Red Sox fan and media lynching should take a back seat to a standard veteran injury/minor league rehab to remove him from rabid daily press briefings about whether he was washed up.

You weren't there, so defending softy is "after the fact and meaningless".

Moonslob, at the time in May, harping about Ortiz no longer being able to hit LHP, followed the Buster Wedgie Olney herd to release Ortiz in favor of Mike Lowell and Drew sharing DH duty.

I wanted Papi moved to 6th in the line-up, not sent to AAA. When they finally moved him down, it worked.

I never even came close to saying we shoukd even consider cutting Papi. Your continous lies change nothing.

He won't deny he was 100% wrong about Ortiz v. LP, but he will claim he only wanted Ortiz dropped in lineup, not released.

Find the quote. Unlike softy, mine are all still here.
    You are the biggest liar south of DC.
    Besides, I was right one year on sitting Papi vs some LHPs, and last year we didn't have many options to platoon with anyways.

Folks, Moonslob is nothing more than a drone for whatever popular convention favors at the time. Varitek has been kicked to the curb so Moonslob has now claimed his defense of Varitek was only if Ortiz left and he is on board with Varitek departure. This, of course, is totally false. No one lobbied harder for Varitek and another contract than our resident stooge. Ditto on Wastefield.

Does your drivel and lies ever cease?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

, I was right one year on sitting Papi vs some LHPs, and last year we didn't have many options to platoon with anyways

You wanted Ortiz sitting v. most LP, last year. To spin it as "'didn't have many options to platoon with anyways" is only fit for a stooge. You wanted it, but here were not many options, only a few. Ha ha ha! Call the Obama medical team for this State Ward.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I even provided my direct quotes from last winter. I said I'd platoon Lowrie for Papi vs most LHPs (all but 6), When Scutty got hurt, then Lowrie, we had no better option, because I wanted DMac platooning for Crawford... eveyone knows that was my point.

You kept clinging to the no platoon idea in 2010 as Papi had a near .500 OPS in the games, I had him scheduled to sit out. You twisted and turned and grabbed for straws, but were 100% wrong.

I was wrong last year about Papi vs LHPs, but as it worked out, under my idea, he wouldn't have ended up sitting that much. That doesn't change that I was wrong about Papi vs LHPs for 2011, but nothing will also change the fact that he stunk vs LHPs in 2010 (esp the ones I listed), but you deny, deny, and lie, and lie.

Silly clown, get real for once in your life. Set an example of honesty and dignity for just once in your sad little world.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

The Red Sox RF platoon candidate will first play good defense and will hit from the right side. It's not likely that this player will be anything more than a below average hitter with less than average power. The problem here is a what if.....
    If the team can't find balance (a right handed hitter that fits in the 3-4-5 hole)
    They won't compete in the AL East. If 2012 looks like 2011 the cleanup hitter will be a problem.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

This may have been suggested already:

Crawford even up for Werth...

I'm not saying they have equal potential, I actually think CC is better but I think the Sox could use Werth in their lineup and he might be more valuable for us than for the Nat's.
    We need a RF with a good arm that plays good defense. We need a RHanded bat in the lineup. It's easier finding a LF---in fact Aviles could play there very nicely or Lavarnway could play left and be our emergency catcher.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Red Sox RF platoon candidate will first play good defense and will hit from the right side. It's not likely that this player will be anything more than a below average hitter with less than average power. The problem here is a what if..... If the team can't find balance (a right handed hitter that fits in the 3-4-5 hole) They won't compete in the AL East. If 2012 looks like 2011 the cleanup hitter will be a problem.
    Posted by Thomasmtom

Yes, that whole Ellsbury-CRawford-Pedroia-Gonzalez-Youkilis-Ortiz lineup will completley collaspe unless we find a power-hitting RF who hits right-handed.  so what if we had the besty offense in MLB with Josh Reddick out there and Carl Crawford hitting like Alex Cora? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

This may have been suggested already: Crawford even up for Werth... I'm not saying they have equal potential, I actually think CC is better but I think the Sox could use Werth in their lineup and he might be more valuable for us than for the Nat's. We need a RF with a good arm that plays good defense. We need a RHanded bat in the lineup. It's easier finding a LF---in fact Aviles could play there very nicely or Lavarnway could play left and be our emergency catcher.
    Posted by MadMc44

1.  We have a RF with a good arm in Josh Reddick, and he actually is a good defensive OS.  In fact, he is very likely to outperform 33yo Jayson Werth defensive over the next 6 years.

2.  We WANT a right-hamded bat, but there is no actual need for one.  The Sox were better against LHP as every teram in the league except the Yankees.  This is really a fan-concocted myth based on their perception of an ideal lineup construction.

3.  I know fans cannot handle off-seasons without blockbusters, but get used to it.  They are not a right.  There will be no Crawford/Werth trade.  IF the Sox address RF,m which is a low priorirty as it should be, it willprobably be to get a RHH compliment for Reddick, sich as Cody Ross or Ryan Ludwick...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that in late innings any lousy left handed pitcher shut down the Sox.
    Let's ignore their lousy hitting in September.
    Let's stick our heads up our butts, because the team scored lots of blowout runs.
    Ask ANY baseball man if a lineup needs balance. ANyone who's played the game knows this.
    Fan concocted? Even the owner said they were too left hand heavy!
    A couple of people here think they're soooo damned smart.
    There's more to the game than statistics.
    The quote is:"There are lies. There are damned lies. And there are statistics".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

but as it worked out, under my idea, he wouldn't have ended up sitting that much.

Spin, stooge, spin! Sitting Ortiz v. LP in 2010 would have been a mistake, regardless of what 2010 splits were. V LP SP a .727 OPS isn't good, but not bad enough to put in a bum like Lowell or other bench options. As well, Pinch hitting for Ortiz would have damaged the confidence that resulted in 30 hr during an off year for Ortiz.

Now, stooge, do you advocate sitting Ortiz v. LP in 2012.......................

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We did very well vs LHPs, but that could all crumble if Papi reverts to his 2009-2010 tendencies.

There's no argument that our RF offense was horrible last year, and that having a nice hitting RH'd bat would help for 2012. The question is, at what cost? And, are we robbing Peter to pay Paul?

There's more to the game than statistics.

What you really mean is you hate when stats show you are wrong.

1) Our overall OPS was .810 in 2011. It was .804 in August and Sepyember, and Youk missed some time and played hurt the rest.

2) I exposed your myth about blowout wins earlier this year. We had about 2 more blowout wins than the Yanks in 2011, and less than 5 more vs the other top league scorers. Take away that differential and we're still a top scoring team in MLB, if not the top dog anyways. Teams that score many runs in a season will have more blow-out wins. We don't need stats to know that.

3) Our September slump? 
    Runs per game:  5.40
    Runs/game Sep: 5.41
    Yeah, those pesky stats keep getting in your way.

4) Was out good hitting vs LHPs a fluke last year?
    It certainly appears like it might have been. I seriously doubt we will repeat 2011's numbers vs LHPs, so I do agree that we could use an upgrade somewhere, and RF seems the logical place. It's starnge you pooh pooh'd my Cody Ross suggestion with his .912 OPS ve LHPs career, and relatively low FA cost.
            2011  career
    Papi  .989  .813
    Pede .987  .854
    Youk .980  .935
    Low   .876  .919
    Ellsb .841   .782 (but, went up way more vs RHPs)
    Mac  .804   .799
    AGon .787  .783
    Redd .766  .785
    Scut  .775  .742 (but, was up against RHPs by about as much)
    VTek  .775  .826
    Salty  .635  .604
    Craw .566   .684

Here's another way to look at it:
    OPS  vs RHP vs LHP  (runs per PA)
    2011  .811   .807    (.140/.129)
    2010  .785   .802    (.132/.121)
    2009  .803  .812     (.140/.131)
    2007  .808  .800     (.134/.136)
    2004  .840  .817     (.144/.149)

From 2010 to 2011 our offense actually improved more vs RHPs than LHPs, meaning the "fluke" aspect of someplayers gains vs LHPs was more than offset by their gains vs RHPs. So, one could surmise that if we drop off in 2012, it could be more vs RHPs than LHPs if players return to their norms.

As for "balance", yes 2004 and 2007 showed more balance in runs per PA, but not really in OPS differentials. 2011 was out most balanced OPS season of the 5 listed above.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

For the better pitchers, Red Sox were easy to pitch around in 2011. Aggregate numbers without standard deviation and park factor paint a useless distorted picture. Offense was good, but there was nothing intimidating about it because the Red Sox do not have a single RH bat that is an elite level hitter.

As it stands now, 2012 Red Sox offense will be good, but not great. Last great Red Sox offense team was 2003 and 2004. 

Pitching market is lousy, as usual, so improving the team there will be little more than low cost hope for luck. 

Offense can be made great by bringing in a young superstar RH bat and having Crawford return near adjusted career norms. Ellsbury should be traded this winter, along with blocked propsects, to net a young superstar RH bat and a 2nd tier pitcher. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Hank, you didn't quote enough stats!
    Watch frick and frack come back with all kinds of baloney numbers, showing how dominating the Sox offense was.
    Look at the blowouts against crummy pitching staffs, especially in July and August.
    Of course, we're just fictionalizing the need for right handed power.
    Look at the teams that made it into the playoffs last year.
    Cabrera, Pujols,Holiday, Beltre, Kinsler, Napoli, Cruz, Braun, Hart et al. All right handed bombers.
    But these know it alls, with their big stats, will tell you it's not needed in Boston, because the Sox scored lots of runs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Watch frick and frack come back with all kinds of baloney numbers, showing how dominating the Sox offense was.
    Look at the blowouts against crummy pitching staffs, especially in July and August.
    Cabrera, Pujols,Holiday, Beltre, Kinsler, Napoli, Cruz, Braun, Hart et al. All right handed bombers.
    But these know it alls, with their big stats, will tell you it's not needed in Boston, because the Sox scored lots of runs.

All the top scoring teams had many blow-outs.

The Sox had a great road offense, so the "Fenway factor" is not the reason we were the top scoring offense per se.

The Sox faced better pitching than almost every other team in MLB. We also did very well vs some of the best pitchers in MLB. We actually did poorly vs some no-name or poor record pitchers in 2011.

We're not saying no RH'd bats are needed. I have mentioned several good RF platoon guys at a relatively low cost (like Ross), but our top priority is pitching. Pitching is why we lost in 2011, not cold bats in September or our record vs LH'd relief pitchers. We had serious issues on our staff last year and now lost Paps. Yeah, let's spend what we got on a hulk in RF. Brilliant!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Cabrera, Pujols,Holiday, Beltre, Kinsler, Napoli, Cruz, Braun, Hart et al. All right handed bombers.

Well presented, Ghost. And you are correct, all drones like Moonslob do is cut and past stat snipets to paint the picture he wants you to see. And here is that picture:

1. Wastefield is a great value and one of the better #5 pitchers in MLB. Resign him for 1.5 million

2. Varitek is the link to Red Sox better winning % and was one of the best MLB backup catchers in all of baseball. Resign him for 1.5 million

3. Trade Youk for pitching or sign a Lackey FA starter as Red Sox offense was great and spending money or trading to improve it will result in status quo of 2009 to 2011.

Needless to say, the market for pitching is not there. Red Sox need to improve the offense and seek to do what great 2004 Red Sox offense and 2009 great Yankee offense did. Market dictates value, and pitching market FA value aint it for 2012.    

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Look at the teams that made it into the playoffs last year. Cabrera, Pujols,Holiday, Beltre, Kinsler, Napoli, Cruz, Braun, Hart et al. All right handed bombers. But these know it alls, with their big stats, will tell you it's not needed in Boston, because the Sox scored lots of runs.
    Posted by GhostofTito

One thing not mentioned is that of the teams that made it to the playoffs last year, none had a team ERA that was 22nd in MLB like the Sox.  Only 8 teams had a worse ERA than the Sox and everyone seems to think the Sox have a huge need for a RH hitting player to aid the team that finished 2nd in MLB in batting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Pitching is why we lost in 2011

False. A combination of factors was the reason for the greatest season collapse in baseball history.

Aggregate numbers as anecdotal team performance measures are meaningless. Winning scoreboard is how baseball games are won. It is a 2 sided game. Market dictates which side to make value and fit improvements. Not "we need pitching and 2011 offense was great and/or not the problem" drone comments. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Right fielder : One thing not mentioned is that of the teams that made it to the playoffs last year, none had a team ERA that was 22nd in MLB like the Sox.  Only 8 teams had a worse ERA than the Sox and everyone seems to think the Sox have a huge need for a RH hitting player to aid the team that finished 2nd in MLB in batting.
    Posted by traven

It's all about pitching...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE] " Truth is that team could not tie or win a game late to save their lives."

Truth is that there is a much greater probability that the Sox will tie or win those late close games, now that they have a manager that will attempt to help score late runs, when needed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

RF Beltran CF Ellsbury LF Crawford 3B Youk SS Scutoro 2B Pedroia 1B Gonzales DH Ortiz C Lavarnway P Lester Beckett Bucholz Aceves Bard Awesome! All above average sticks, all above average arms
    Posted by soxnewmex

RF Crawford, CF Ellsbury, LF LAVARNWAY, 3B youk, SS Scutaro, 2B Pedroia, 1B Gonzales, C Salty, DH Ortiz.......I think Lavarnway could play LF as well as Ramirez or Rice. I believe it's worth a try.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Bosox1941 won't have me or my dog Checkers to kick around anymore

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Bosox1941 won't have me or my dog Checkers to kick around anymore
    Posted by UticaClub

I would never kick a dog, but I will admit that there were times over the 8 years of putting up with his nonsense, that I had thoughts of ill will toward his managing abilities and decisions. Suffice it to say, I'm glad he was fired.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Both InEsptein and Tito contracts were not extended because of collapse. It was cause and effect.

Sections
Shortcuts