Right fielder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Right fielder

In Response to Re: Right fielder:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that in late innings any lousy left handed pitcher shut down the Sox. Let's ignore their lousy hitting in September. Let's stick our heads up our butts, because the team scored lots of blowout runs. Ask ANY baseball man if a lineup needs balance. ANyone who's played the game knows this. Fan concocted? Even the owner said they were too left hand heavy! A couple of people here think they're soooo damned smart. There's more to the game than statistics. The quote is:"There are lies. There are damned lies. And there are statistics".
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

You can't simply say statistics don't count, therefore I will go without, and go with a gut feeling.  You don't have a single number in your post.

How about for balance, our splits were .811/.807.  Why, iyo, is that not balanced?

IRT hitting in September, we scored about 5.4 and allowed about 6.4.  Since the 5.4 was exactly the same as our full year average, which lead the league, it would seem that our scoring was fine.  To take it a step further, our starting ERA in September was an incredible 7.08, with < 5 IP/GS.

It's impossible to think that hitting was the issue instead of our SPs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Pitching is why we lost in 2011 

False. A combination of factors was the reason for the greatest season collapse in baseball history. Aggregate numbers as anecdotal team performance measures are meaningless. Winning scoreboard is how baseball games are won. It is a 2 sided game. Market dictates which side to make value and fit improvements. Not "we need pitching and 2011 offense was great and/or not the problem" drone comments. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

We collapsed in September because out SPs had an ERA of 7.08, and pitched less than 5 innings per start.  There are always, always more than one reason why a team plays badly, and always 3-4 areas where they can make improvements.

But anyone who thinks that the collapse was related in any material way to anything other than our SPs, is just wasting their time in here.

Seriously, wanting Bard and/or Aceves as a closer, setup, or starter is a fun discussion.  Likewise adding Jones or Beltran, etc.

But anyone that doesn't see the correlation between the Sept collapse and our starters simply doesn't know anything about BB, or is completely delusional.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]For the better pitchers, Red Sox were easy to pitch around in 2011. Aggregate numbers without standard deviation and park factor paint a useless distorted picture. Offense was good, but there was nothing intimidating about it because the Red Sox do not have a single RH bat that is an elite level hitter. As it stands now, 2012 Red Sox offense will be good, but not great. Last great Red Sox offense team was 2003 and 2004.  Pitching market is lousy, as usual, so improving the team there will be little more than low cost hope for luck.  Offense can be made great by bringing in a young superstar RH bat and having Crawford return near adjusted career norms. Ellsbury should be traded this winter, along with blocked propsects, to net a young superstar RH bat and a 2nd tier pitcher. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

It's a good post, but the problem is, you say we need standard deviations and BP factors.

OPS+ is BP adjusted, and still has us first in scoring, but that's not the problem.

The problem is that you say we need the SD, but you don't have one.  Do you see what I'm saying?

If you need the SD to draw a conclusion, and you don't have a SD, they aren't you saying that your consclusions are without merit since they don't account for SD?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Hurdling obstacles USA Today recently cited a survey that indicated only three-10ths of 1 percent of all college athletes in Division 1, 2, or 3 were Native Americans in 2004-05

Despite your federal fascist drone education, American natives and naturalized citizens of some indeginous North American Ancestry make up less than 1 percent of entire US Population. Since well over 35% of any federally arbitrary categorized ethnic class of people do not go to college, this statistic is PC trolling and is virtually meaningless.

Ellsbury is no more a Native American than a substantial massiv portion of the  population of people with ancestry DNA that can be assigned to virtually every ethnic class defined and regulated by the Fed.

The current PC ethnic and socio-economic ancestry was an adopted ideology of a group of lower economic class group of old Leftist caucasion men who obtained and seek to retain political power by use of class warfare and distribution of entitlements. It has bankrupted this Nation and represents arbitrary and capricious fascism that divides people via socio-economic class and ethnic ancestry. The lunatic seeking re-eleciton is the puppet and poster child of this cancer.

The irony of this ship of fools is that the old one-drop rule has been continued in modern federalism, but federally administered in a completely arbitrary manner.

Ethnic ancestry proof requires DNA analysis and renders most claims of federal ethnic class identity completely arbitrary and meaningless.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I know this is redundant praise, but anyone reading this thread can easily see why Notin is the most intelligent poster on the forum. Hands down.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

notin gets my vote for "Poster of the Year".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about for balance, our splits were .811/.807.  Why, iyo, is that not balanced?

IRT hitting in September, we scored about 5.4 and allowed about 6.4.  Since the 5.4 was exactly the same as our full year average, which lead the league, it would seem that our scoring was fine.  To take it a step further, our starting ERA in September was an incredible 7.08, with < 5 IP/GS.

It's impossible to think that hitting was the issue instead of our SPs.

And their other argument: that we scored a lot of our runs in blowouts and lacked consistency otherwise just does not show up in the numbers.  Then they bring in the September slump argument which is based totally on fantasy and trying to make the numbers fit their preconceived notions of why we lost.

We had just 2 wins in September by 10 or more runs.
    Starting August 26th, we lost games scoring these many runs...
    5-15
    4-11
    10-11
    4-7
    5-6
    4-5
    5-8
    5-6
    5-7

Yes, we had 4 games with just 0-1 runs scored. 
    We had 23 in 6 months for an average of just about 4 per month.
    So, September's bad offensive games we right on the season average.

We had 7 games with 2-3 runs scored.
    We had 32 games in 6 months with 2-3 runs scored--avg: 5.33 per month.
    So, September we had about 2 more games than normal with 2-3 runs scored.

Yeah, that was the reason we collapsed. NOT!
    Our pitchers let up ...
    6 or more runs 19 times in 27 September games, including 7 straight one time.
    Starting August 30th, we let up 5 or more runs 22 out of 29 games!
    We let up 4 or more runs in 26 of our final 29 games!

How much more obvious can it be?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right fielder : I wasn't singling you out, although it appears that way. Sorry, kim. I meant it in a more general sense, in that I think this society is going overboard on finding the positive in everything people do. As to how many of these athletes have been brought up, most have been  coddled and allowed to get away with inappropriate actions from an early age. They have a sense of entitlement and I feel, some  could use a kick in the you-know-what sometimes when their behavior is not good for the team. The thing is, with some of these players, a kick in the butt wouldn't work. They'd just pout and demand a trade and get it.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

No worries. I thought you were talking about this board, and that's all me when it comes to this topic. :)

I hear what your saying, though, but a lot of guys go through rough patches. It's not always in the news. The ones that take the heat, seemingly due to large contracts, don't recover as well. I saw Drew in the dugout with visible bags under his eyes. I think he said his performance was weighing on him. That can't help. The pressure Carl was already under coming to a new team couldn't possibly be helped by the constant criticism. It's really not about coddling, it's about a level of abuse that doesn't really go hand in hand with production. You just get the opposite results you were looking for, and that doesn't make sense to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right fielder : notin gets my vote for "Poster of the Year".

Agreed. Athough, you're a pretty smart guy yourself. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

All the bores patting themselves on the back.
    ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No worries. I thought you were talking about this board, and that's all me when it comes to this topic. :)

I hear what your saying, though, but a lot of guys go through rough patches. It's not always in the news. The ones that take the heat, seemingly due to large contracts, don't recover as well. I saw Drew in the dugout with visible bags under his eyes. I think he said his performance was weighing on him. That can't help. The pressure Carl was already under coming to a new team couldn't possibly be helped by the constant criticism. It's really not about coddling, it's about a level of abuse that doesn't really go hand in hand with production. You just get the opposite results you were looking for, and that doesn't make sense to me.

I hear what you are saying, and I'd never boo Carl at a game. I was totally against his signing for a number of reasons, and have stated them several times on this site. Most of my issue is with his contract, and I do not blame him one bit for signing it. I'm not one of those silly clowns who insist he should give some money back. I do have an issue with his skills against LHPs and his over-rated fielding, but overall, I think he will bounce back in 2012 and help our team win more than he did in 2011. His contract is tying our hands now and will for the next 5 years after 2012, but we have to live with it and move on. I try to be constructive, but that doesn't mean I will not be highly critical when I think mistakes are being made. I never pretend to be smarter than Theo or Ben or Dan D, but I do voice my opinions when I disagree. I have been right several times and wrong several times, but to me, that is what this forum is all about: talking about our differing opinions on the state of the Sox and their future.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]No worries. I thought you were talking about this board, and that's all me when it comes to this topic. :) I hear what your saying, though, but a lot of guys go through rough patches. It's not always in the news. The ones that take the heat, seemingly due to large contracts, don't recover as well. I saw Drew in the dugout with visible bags under his eyes. I think he said his performance was weighing on him. That can't help. The pressure Carl was already under coming to a new team couldn't possibly be helped by the constant criticism. It's really not about coddling, it's about a level of abuse that doesn't really go hand in hand with production. You just get the opposite results you were looking for, and that doesn't make sense to me. I hear what you are saying, and I'd never boo Carl at a game. I was totally against his signing for a number of reasons, and have stated them several times on this site. Most of my issue is with his contract, and I do not blame him one bit for signing it. I'm not one of those silly clowns who insist he should give some money back. I do have an issue with his skills against LHPs and his over-rated fielding, but overall, I think he will bounce back in 2012 and help our team win more than he did in 2011. His contract is tying our hands now and will for the next 5 years after 2012, but we have to live with it and move on. I try to be constructive, but that doesn't mean I will not be highly critical when I think mistakes are being made. I never pretend to be smarter than Theo or Ben or Dan D, but I do voice my opinions when I disagree. I have been right several times and wrong several times, but to me, that is what this forum is all about: talking about our differing opinions on the state of the Sox and their future.

And now I'll say I didn't mean you specifically. I've even said on this board that I remember your comment about Carl's contract prior to any team play. It's not only about fan boards, it's also about how the media treats them.

Btw, I also voice my opinions on things on the board and believe that's what it's here for. It's the constant bashers I don't get. You're definitely not a basher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i hope aviles gets a shot at RF this season. personally i loved his bat, speed and defense last season when he had the chance to play. weather his defensive capabilities translate to RF or not remains to be seen. i know when the sox aquired him the plan was to convert him to an outfielder for a super utility role. but now that they have puntos for utility aviles seems like the sox' best option at RF. any and all money should be put towards pitching not RF. we all know the sox can put up runs, you dont need to overpay for an offensive outfielder when you have such large holes in the pitching staff. so give aviles the starting job at RF, he will surprise you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

I think it is exciting that RF needs may be filled by players within the organization.  If Josh Reddick is traded for Andrew Bailey, it will likely only include another lower ml prospect. If so, IMHO, don't see a problem going to Spring Training with Ryan Kalish and Juan Carlos Linares competing to be the RF and outfielder #4. I doubt very much that the Cardinals would have signed Carlos Beltran if that team had not lost Albert Pujols. The Cardinals are going to be pretty old with Lance Berkman and Carlos Beltran in its batting order.  I can list players who came up in the Red Sox ortanization who did not disappoint fans, and would like to see more of that again.  How about Fred Lynn and Jim Rice in 1975, already having Carl Yaz as the last Triple Crown Winner, Carlton Fisk as the team's catcher, Rico Petrocelli, George Scott, Joe Foy, Fred Lynn, Mo Vaughn, John Valenin, Nomar Garciaparra, Dustin Pedroia, Kevin Youkilis, Jacoby Ellsbury etc.  How about seeing if we can believe in Ryan Kalish who very well could be the RF for a couple of seasons before Ryan succeeds Jacoby Ellsbury in CF.  Think about it another way, would fans be disappointed even if another Trot Nixon came along?  Let's find out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With the tax limit and payroll being so close, we pretty much had to leave a few positions to "in house" solutions. That's not always a bad thing. With our offense seemingly all set for  2012, RF and C were the two slots we could "go light" or not throw money at. I still think Lava will get a chance this year, since Salty still seems to be a question mark in my mind. Yje other slots will go to Doubront, Tazawa, Morales and/or Bowden. I'd like to see those 4 slots narrowed to 2-3, but that depends on what we spend our few precious millions remaining on: 1 good pitcher or 2-3 marginal gamble types.

Reddick/Kalish and Linares/DMac/Aviles could make for a nice platoon that xan easily improve on 2011's horrible RF numbers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]All the bores patting themselves on the back. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's pathetic.  Joe, Notin and Moon are among the most intelligent and interesting posters here....and among the most mature and polite too.  I love the way they dissect others' arguments, painting them into a corner with their own words and/or lack of evidence....politely when the others are polite, but they absolutely slaughter them - still outwardly polite - when they're not.  Great stuff.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Buckner is going into right field. That's why they didn't give him the coaching job.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

If Buchner was signed to play for the Sox, I wager we would still see Bill's sweet swing  LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]All the bores patting themselves on the back. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to hang out with two guys that knew virtually everything there was to know about college basketball.  They'd usually lose me somewhere along the line, but I never copped out by saying it was boring, simply because they knew more than me.

maybe if you spent more time studying the numbers, the numbers wouldn't be so boring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Right fielder:
    All the bores patting themselves on the back. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by GhostofTito

That's pathetic.  Joe, Notin and Moon are among the most intelligent and interesting posters here....and among the most mature and polite too.  I love the way they dissect others' arguments, painting them into a corner with their own words and/or lack of evidence....politely when the others are polite, but they absolutely slaughter them - still outwardly polite - when they're not.  Great stuff.

Would I get bashed if I patted you on the back?

(Thanks & Merry Christmas to all!)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sapper1. Show sapper1's posts

Moon, Joe,... I've always like and respected your comments,keep them coming!
     Merry Christmas to All!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Merry Christmas to you too!

Merry Christmas to all!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Moon, Breidy, Notin, the Jims, are all the cream of the crop on the forum. There are another dozen that I can't recall at the moment. I often wish that the invisible bumper would bump their threads to page #1.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right fielder : I used to hang out with two guys that knew virtually everything there was to know about college basketball.  They'd usually lose me somewhere along the line, but I never copped out by saying it was boring, simply because they knew more than me. maybe if you spent more time studying the numbers, the numbers wouldn't be so boring.Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Joe...you make a great point here. I believe some of life's issues pertain to context while others are directly related to content.

As a former teacher I would often push students in my classroom into a 'proximal learning zone' by using multisyllabic and complex words - because I know words are power. I would always qualify those words with well-known synonyms but the more words my students learned? I believe, the better they could communicate.

When I rarely asked, "Why do you think I communicate with you using words you don't know?"

A student would invariably say, "You like to show off...."

I was tempted to say, "Lest I bore you; I suppose my preference is to confuse you."

All this to say, sometimes you and moonslav bore even me with your information. Realize, few here want to be informed. Most just want to talk...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right fielder : Joe...you make a great point here. I believe some of life's issues pertain to context while others are directly related to content. As a former teacher I would often push students in my classroom into a 'proximal learning zone' by using multisyllabic and complex words - because I know words are power. I would always qualify those words with well-known synonyms but the more words my students learned? I believe, the better they could communicate. When I rarely asked, "Why do you think I communicate with you using words you don't know?" A student would invariably say, "You like to show off...." I was tempted to say, "Lest I bore you; I suppose my preference is to confuse you." All this to say, sometimes you and moonslav bore even me with your information. Realize, few here want to be informed. Most just want to talk...
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

It's not easy being a teacher. I've been volunteering almost everyday teaching and assisting teaching English as a Second Language and Geography at a nearby public school and Catholic school. Getting the student's attention and keeping it sometimes requires some very creative thinking. I've been teaching grades 6-8th grades. Not easy.

I don't use many stats with my students so as to not bore them...

Smile

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Just saw in Globe that Ryan Kalish had 2 surgerys this Fall and will still be rehabbing when the 2012 Season begins.  When ready, Ryan may play with the PawSox or the Red Sox, however, the rehab from labrum surgery which will require more rehab because it affects his throwing arm, this explains the acquistion of Ryan Sweeney in the trade for Closer Andrew Bailey.  Ryan is a good outfielder with a good arm and quite a bit of ML experience with the White Sox and A's.  He is built like he also has a lot of bat power, but his HR totals over 1500 ABs is pretty limited with I believe 9 in 09. I imagine the Sox will be looking at RH hitting outfielders within the organization who should be able to platoon with Sweeney such as Darnell McDonald, Juan Carlos Linares and Lin, who is also a good outfielder but I don't believe has shown much power in the minors and the Sox are likely also looking at FA and possible trade Righthanded hitting outfielders such as Andruw Jones, Cody Ross etc.  Trading Reddick for Bailey and Sweeney may have taken much more time with the Red Sox trying to also acquire Sweeney. 

Sections
Shortcuts