Right handed Power Hitter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

Re: Right handed Power Hitter?

I REALLY DO HOPE THE SOX SIGN CESPEDES. WHAT
    THE HECK, HE'S BETTER THAN ANYTHING WE HAVE,
    AND WE HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER BAT IN THE
    LINEUP...I BELIEVE CESPEDES IS A RH HITTER.
    HE GOTTA BE BETTER THAN DREW, REDDICK,
    KALISH, AND THE REST OF THE STIFFS WE HAVE
    SEEN. GOD HELP US IF WE HAVE TO DEPEND ON
    DARNELL MC DONALD ALL YEAR. !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Vlad the Impaler. Too bad her couldnt play 50 games in right,DH.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Right handed Power Hitter?:
    [QUOTE]I don't think the club is too stressed about the lefty heavy line-up.  Ortiz mashed lefties last year, and Ellsbury and Gonzalez were very solid.  I don't think it is worth a Soriano or a Jones just to have a rightie platoon power bat in the lineup.   Now, if they can go get Cespedes ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I would also love to see Cespedes in Sox uniform IF Sox can get him..

Let me just throw this out.  Don't have to be serious.
    Salty for Jerry Sands.  I don't know...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Right now, we have several hitters that hit LHPs very well (or with some, at least better than they hit RHPs):

Pedey  (1.010 OPS in '11) but he hasn't always hit LHPs better.
    Youk     (.987) but he can't seem to stay healthy for a whole year.
    Lava     (.980) Very small sample size and may start in AAA.
    Aviles   (.888) May platoon in OF if Youk is healthy.
    DMac    (.804) Has hit lefties well with Boston, but fielding issues...
    Scutaro (.775) Hits RHPs almost as well.

LHBs vs LHPs
    Papi      (.989) but had 4 straight steep decline years prior.
    Ellsb     (.841) has seen his OPS vs LHPs rise about 60 pts/yr.
    AGon    (.787) has done better vs LHPs and has done worse (.783 career)
    Craw    (.556) career OPS is below .700. A glorified platoon player.

New players:
    Shoppach  (.788) Career: .909. Not bad for a catcher.
    Punto         (.798) Career: .649. Hits LHPs and RHPs equally as poorly.
    Sweeney   (.404) Career: .594. Hits RHPs 160 points better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we did get a RF'er who can mash lefties, probably one of the most cost-effective signings would be a guy like Cody Ross:

Career vs LHPs:
    .282/.349/.563/.912

Per 633 PAs vs LHPs:
    .282  36  113  (43 2B+3Bs)

Overall, he's not too shabby either (although last year was bad):
    .261  25  90  (41 2B+3Bs) .799 OPS overall

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Right handed Power Hitter?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right handed Power Hitter? : We are not looking for someone who will play 150+ games.  We have Sweeney, Aviles, and even DMac.  It seems like Aviles will be the utility guy and mainly backup for Youk if something happens to him.  Soriano had total of 202 play chances and he made 7 errors.  I don't think that's too horrible.  Plus we have Sweeney as out 4th OFer.  Sweeney can alway step in in the late innings and provide defense when neccessary.  All we need from Soriano is offense which he's still good at.  He played 137 games last season and put up 26 HRs and 88 RBIs.  You do the math with OUR whole RFers in 2011 season.  If Sox can get Soriano at around $4-6MM, I won't be complaining him coming over to Boston.  And baserunning issue.  It's Fenway.  We don't even expect Ells to hit triples that many.  And we don't need speed. Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE] Soriano would be brutal in right...no thanks. I like Andruw Jones at the right price. No chance they pay the luxury tax for an unknown like Cespedes. I'll be pretty surprised if he isn't a Marlin, anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Lavarnway will be a power RH bat in this years lineup. Youk is a pretty good RH stick, Salty hits from both sides. Scutaro is a pretty good hitter. Pedroia has a very good bat. That's potentially 4 or 5 RH bats. Would you want Andruw added as a RH bat? I agree we are soft on RH power. Next year if Ortiz is gone they may add a capable RH DH if they don't use Lav there. Who knows, maybe they will sign Cespedes for RF??
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I agree Lavarnway should give us some nice AB sooner or later even though I'm still not sure how he fits in with Shoppach and Salty behind the plate.  I said this to a friend in the past and still feel the Sox should scout teams in need of good young LH bats, its the best way to pick up a righty or two.

I'm sure there are teams with too many good young righties on their farm.  I also think Brentz will be a good one for us. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Right handed Power Hitter?": [QUOTE]If we did get a RF'er who can mash lefties, probably one of the most cost-effective signings would be a guy like Cody Ross: Career vs LHPs: .282/.349/.563/.912 Per 633 PAs vs LHPs: .282  36  113  (43 2B+3Bs) Overall, he's not too shabby either (although last year was bad): .261  25  90  (41 2B+3Bs) .799 OPS overall Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] Yup, I like Ross as well. Aviles is playing the outfield in Puerto Rico, Linares may provide depth and McDonald is still around, although I don't think he will be a real option in right because of his brutal defense...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]4 - How Ells performs vs. LHP (last year was his worst year v. LHP and it wasn't too shabby) Don't drink the softy Kool-Aid. Jacoby hit about 90 points better vs LHPs in 2011 than his career average before the season began. Just because he improved by over 200 points vs RHPs in 2011, doesn't make his numbers vs LHPs " his worst year ". 
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Moon - Thank you for the correction.  I meant to say 2011 was his most uneven year for L/R splits.  I still think I was clear that Ells doesn't have a problem vLHP but thank you for making it more clear.

I think you missed the forest while commenting on the leaves, though.  My point was that we don't have a problem v LHP as it now stands and that the most important things to watch to see if we MIGHT have a problem is how Papi does and if Youk stays healthy. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right handed Power Hitter? : Moon - Thank you for the correction.  I meant to say 2011 was his most uneven year for L/R splits.  I still think I was clear that Ells doesn't have a problem vLHP but thank you for making it more clear. I think you missed the forest while commenting on the leaves, though.  My point was that we don't have a problem v LHP as it now stands and that the most important things to watch to see if we MIGHT have a problem is how Papi does and if Youk stays healthy. 
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

We could have issues vs LHPs if Papi regresses and/or Youk is injured again, plus consider this...

Even though Pedey is RH'd, he had a long stretch where he was very bad vs LHPs:
    2010: .700
    2009: .765

Although AGon had a nice OPS vs LHPs in 2010 (.937), he has had some bad ones:
    2008: .675
    2009: .770
    2011: .787

We lost 2 of our better hitters vs LHPs:

Lowrie: .919 career OPS

Varitek:
    2011: .748 (Way better than Salty vs LHPs)
    2010: .868
    2009: .807
    2008: .863

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]If we did get a RF'er who can mash lefties, probably one of the most cost-effective signings would be a guy like Cody Ross: Career vs LHPs: .282/.349/.563/.912 Per 633 PAs vs LHPs: .282  36  113  (43 2B+3Bs) Overall, he's not too shabby either (although last year was bad): .261  25  90  (41 2B+3Bs) .799 OPS overall

Cody Ross checks out in several ways: 1. cost effective 2. dirt dog/gamer  (Cherrington is obviously valuing this quality [whatever it actually is] in his work thus far, and, for good reason.  The Sox of the latter day Theo/Tito regime got pretty soft), 3. nice vs. lefties, and as you point to, just a nice bat overall.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

We lost 2 of our better hitters vs LHPs:

Lowrie: .919 career OPS

Varitek:

Same old nonsense. Varitek one of the best Red Sox hitters v. LP isn't even funny as a joke.

Red Sox should be an elite OF production team with 30 million being spent on 2 future HOf'ers who helped the team finish 3rd, again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right handed Power Hitter? : Cody Ross checks out in several ways: 1. cost effective 2. dirt dog/gamer  (Cherrington is obviously valuing this quality [whatever it actually is] in his work thus far, and, for good reason.  The Sox of the latter day Theo/Tito regime got pretty soft), 3. nice vs. lefties, and as you point to, just a nice bat overall.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I wish we had a few more million to be able to sign Ross, but sadly, I think we need to use the reat on pitching.

Plus, it's easier to pick-up a platoon OF'er in July than a quality pitcher.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Lavarnway will start the season as the everyday catcher in Pawtucket...granted I'm sure we will see him a few times, a call up when an injury happens and definitely when roster's expand.  But he will not be a RH bat in the lineup to begin the season.  Also for what it's worth Ellsbury is one of our best LHP hitting LHH in the lineup behind Ortiz, except Ellsbury seems to be more consistent where is Ortiz's splits seem to go up and down year by year.  I know the prospect of trading Ellsbury or keeping him is a whole new debate, but without getting into that I hope we keep him (or at least get a RHH who can really mash LHP) I do think there is a good possibility of RHH coming from within...if Lavarnway looks better behind the plate he may be the new catcher by next year and I'm sure he will be contributing from the bench/DH/pinch hitter by years end.  If he doesn't look good but is still mashing the ball I'm sure he will replace Ortiz next year and maybe even spend some time at 1B (to back up and possibly increase his trade value) Lets not forget about Saltalamacchia.  Last year was the most playing time he's seen, and this year will likely be his first real true full year. considering his age and talent he really could have a great year (I'm talking like .265/.315/.450 and hit 20HR).  COULD, but Salty also has weak splits, and doesn't seem to hit well from the right side of the plate.  So Lavy is the best internal solution in the near term.   Other internal solutions in the near distant future include: Middlebrooks but he will be replacing a RH bat anyways....but if Brandon Jacobs or Bryce Brentz merge as a viable solution in RF then that is a RH bat addition to the lineup. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Good post, hugh,

I don't see the need to hurry Big Papi's demise as some others are so keen on (I don't mean you).  He's already the hitter we hope to get when he is finally replaced, leaving a tremendous history to celebrate.

I think Lavarnway and Middlebrooks will add RH hitting soon.  Lava this season, perhaps.  Will maybe by year's end or next.

I hope Youk rebounds from the injury touch of the last two seasons, relaxes a little so he doesn't eat himself or his teammates alive with criticism.  Before his season ending injury in 2010, it looked as if he was becoming a mid-level power hitter.  

If all our lefty hitters were weinies, I'd be more concerned about it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope Youk rebounds from the injury touch of the last two seasons, relaxes a little so he doesn't eat himself or his teammates alive with criticism.  Before his season ending injury in 2010, it looked as if he was becoming a mid-level power hitter.

In 2008, he had 29 HRs in 621 PAs.

2009-2011: 73 in 1540 (29.4 HRs per 621 PAs)

But you are right, he dropped off a lot in 2011. Maybe the injury effected his HR rate somewhat.
    (20.4 HRs per 621 PAs)

Extra base hits:
    2008: 76/621  .122
    2009: 64/588  .109
    2010: 50/435  .114
    2011: 51/517  .097

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]We lost 2 of our better hitters vs LHPs: Lowrie: .919 career OPS Varitek: Same old nonsense. Varitek one of the best Red Sox hitters v. LP isn't even funny as a joke. Red Sox should be an elite OF production team with 30 million being spent on 2 future HOf'ers who helped the team finish 3rd, again.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

hankie, (since you're JR now)

The OFers didn't lose the season for us.

Maybe a few missed opps here and there, but it was the starting pitching that blew the season. 

Sadly, some epic meltdowns between Bard and Paps were invovled.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I hope Youk rebounds from the injury touch of the last two seasons, relaxes a little so he doesn't eat himself or his teammates alive with criticism.  Before his season ending injury in 2010, it looked as if he was becoming a mid-level power hitter. In 2008, he had 29 HRs in 621 PAs. 2009-2011: 73 in 1540 (29.4 HRs per 621 PAs) But you are right, he dropped off a lot in 2011. Maybe the injury effected his HR rate somewhat. (20.4 HRs per 621 PAs) Extra base hits: 2008: 76/621  .122 2009: 64/588  .109 2010: 50/435  .114 2011: 51/517  .097

Thanks for the clarity, Moon.

I do think it his drop off was injury related.  I hope this season he's able to overcome whatever it was, mental or physical.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In Response to Right handed Power Hitter?:
    [QUOTE]What is up with all this left handed bats? Dam ! It seems that the only way to get a right handed power hitter  would be to move the green monster to right field.What are they thinking? Iknow they have a good offense but a times it burns them with being so tilted to the left side of the plate.
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]
    Might have something to do with the fact that 70% of the pitchers in baseball throw w/ their RH? But with that Green Monster I agree 1 solid RH bat in OF would be nice. But another starter should be priority # 1, we'll still score a ton of runs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

but it was the starting pitching that blew the season. 

Sadly, some epic meltdowns between Bard and Paps were invovled

Great point. The 50 million plus a year spent on starting pitching was what blew that season. Bard and Paps were terrible at year end. The offense was fantastic and consistent. Wakefield did his job really well, but the top pitchers were horrible.

Solution will be to bid high for Saunders and other FA gems for starting pitching. Move the starting pitching budget to about 60 or 70 million a year and another 3rd place finish will be averted.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wildcat66. Show wildcat66's posts

So long as they have decent power and/or a good opposite-field strole, left-handed power hitters have had great success with the Sox. Ted, Yaz, Freddy Lynn, Mike Greenwell, Papi, and Gonzo have all had highly productive seasons, and most have led the club in production.  To my memory, only Jim Rice and George Scott have done so from the right side with consistency.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chasemon. Show chasemon's posts

[QUOTE]So long as they have decent power and/or a good opposite-field strole, left-handed power hitters have had great success with the Sox. Ted, Yaz, Freddy Lynn, Mike Greenwell, Papi, and Gonzo have all had highly productive seasons, and most have led the club in production.  To my memory, only Jim Rice and George Scott have done so from the right side with consistency.
    Posted by wildcat66[/QUOTE]

Don't forget MANNY!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

hankie, (since you're JR now)

His new nickname should be Mr. Hanky.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

As a productive LH should not forget Mo Vaughn and a productive RH hitter who I believe, except for a 1967 misfortune on a pitch by Jack Hamilton, I truly believe Tony would have been in the Hall of Fame. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Sox as presently constructed have Youkilis,Shoppach,Lavarnway,Aviles,Scrutaro,Pedey,and Punto and Salty who are switchhitters but technically can be called RHH's as opposed to CC,Ells,Ortiz and Gonzo who hit strictly LH so if you take the two SH's you have 4 LH and 6 RH's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chasemon. Show chasemon's posts

What about going after CoCo? solid feilder, that would give us the quickest outfield in BASEBALL!!! SWITCH HITTER!!!!