Right handed Power Hitter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Right handed Power Hitter?

In Response to Re: Right handed Power Hitter?:
    [QUOTE]The Sox as presently constructed have Youkilis,Shoppach,Lavarnway,Aviles,Scrutaro,Pedey,and Punto and Salty who are switchhitters but technically can be called RHH's as opposed to CC,Ells,Ortiz and Gonzo who hit strictly LH so if you take the two SH's you have 4 LH and 6 RH's.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Lava will be in AAA and Salty stinks so bad vs LHPs, he shouldn't coun't as someone who his LHPs well.

Shoppach, Punto and Aviles are bench players.

Youk is hurt a lot and slipped vs LHPs last year.

Pedey hit LHPs well last year but struggled from 2009-2010 vs them.

We could use a nice RH'd bat, but we need pitching more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's interesting how one players splits can vary from year to year. We might have a potential lefty masher in house who didnt hit them ll to well last year. I still think the key to our lineup is youks health...I'm hoping for a full season of health and I believe it's in him. It's not as if his injury problems the last two season follow suit with what is reoccurring or chronic (e.g. Back problems, knee problems) he's due for a full season of production.....but then again nothing is written in stone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]It's interesting how one players splits can vary from year to year. We might have a potential lefty masher in house who didnt hit them ll to well last year. I still think the key to our lineup is youks health...I'm hoping for a full season of health and I believe it's in him. It's not as if his injury problems the last two season follow suit with what is reoccurring or chronic (e.g. Back problems, knee problems) he's due for a full season of production.....but then again nothing is written in stone.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I agree Hugh.  Its all about youk.  If he is healthy, this offense is going to be so good that Softy could be the fifth starter and they would still win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MIKESOX. Show MIKESOX's posts

Anyone mention Wily Mo Pena yet?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Wildcat66 must have a short selective memory.
    Ever hear of NOMAR? He was right handed and put up some unreal numbers in his prime.
    Tony C, Rico Petrocelli, Dwight Evans, Frank Malzone, Dick Stuart, Don Baylor, Tony Armas,Rice, Scott, and Manny.
    How the hell could any Sox fan forget Nomar, Dewey and Manny?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How the hell could any Sox fan forget Nomar, Dewey and Manny?

He said "with consistency", and Dewey never had more than 2 straight .865+ seasons. He also only had 4 seasons out of 20 above .900.

Forgetting Nomar and Manny was a huge oversight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Another reason why OPS does not tell the entire story

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Another reason why OPS does not tell the entire story
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

No, but OPS alone it is better than OBP alone, Slg% alone, BA alone....

No stat "tells the whole story", but OPS is the best of tradional ones (not including all the saber stats).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Another reason why OPS does not tell the entire story

And it never will. That's one of the problems with this organization. They tend to discount the human element in favor of statistics.
    Last year, we had the best team in MLB on paper, but we had one of the worst  teams in the clubhouse, which led to our demise. The pitching did break down, but I attribute that to a poor training staff and lack of discipline.
    This Red Sox team in no way resembles a "family" anymore, not like they did '03 to '07.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right handed Power Hitter? :       hankie, (since you're JR now)    The OFers didn't lose the season for us.    Maybe a few missed opps here and there, but it was the starting pitching that blew the season.     Sadly, some epic meltdowns between Bard and Paps were invovled.   
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Don't discount the poor defense and lousy base-running.
    Many factors contributed to the swoon, but it's easier just to blame the SP.
    Clearly, the was some major discontent amongst the players as well.
    When you get right down to it, Francona must take the blame.....he alone is the responsible one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

[QUOTE]That's why Youk is the key to the line up And that's why I'd like to have Lavarnway on the bench

Youk is definitely the key.  If he gets back to form then Gonzo is protected, and the rest is gravy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And it never will. That's one of the problems with this organization. They tend to discount the human element in favor of statistics.

They signed and traded for guys like Schilling, Papi, Millar, Mueller and others based on their numbers and projections not their personalities.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Justin Upton. Ellsbury plus 2 or 3 blocked prospects should do it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

So after Justin Upton...who should the Sox trade Ellsbury for next???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]And it never will. That's one of the problems with this organization. They tend to discount the human element in favor of statistics. They signed and traded for guys like Schilling, Papi, Millar, Mueller and others based on their numbers and projections not their personalities.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Not sure we can say NEVER on this one Moon.  The organization is already different under Cherringtons helm than Theo's.  Theo certainly put too much a premium on the numbers.

But, Ben C. set out his own methodology, while still giving much weight to the geek stats, as setting a premium on character/make-up and the human intangibles.

And i don't think this is just lip service.  Making the first priority to re-up Scutaro, then signing Punto, Melancon and Bailey seems, to me, evidence that he means what he says.  these guys are gamers, dirt dogs.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right handed Power Hitter? : Not sure we can say NEVER on this one Moon.  The organization is already different under Cherringtons helm than Theo's.  Theo certainly put too much a premium on the numbers. But, Ben C. set out his own methodology, while still giving much weight to the geek stats, as setting a premium on character/make-up and the human intangibles. And i don't think this is just lip service.  Making the first priority to re-up Scutaro, then signing Punto, Melancon and Bailey seems, to me, evidence that he means what he says.  these guys are gamers, dirt dogs.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Dan D signed Manny for his numbers and not his attitude. I don't  think we win '04 or '07 without his lethal RH'd bat in our line-up. He also made Papi a better producer.

Theo signed many players based mostly on numbers; I'll grant you that, but we did win 2 rings, and he did sign some "attitude guys (Millar, Roberts, Reese, Mueller...) so I'm not sure we can blast his methodology. Some of his choices were bad. I'm not sure anyone can justify paying Crawford or lackey that kind of money based on their prior "numbers". paying CC $20M+ for about an .850 career OPS was not based on "numbers". I think Theo thought his attitude and "intangibles" made him worth it.

Signing and trading for these players worked:
    Papi
    Schill
    Foulke
    Millar
    Mueller
    Roberts
    Reese
    Kapler
    Timlin
    Embree

Are you so sure Ben signed and traded for these guys based on attitude?

Scutaro had very good offensive numbers for a SS last year and would have cost $1.5M to let walk anyways. He really only paid a $4.5M differential to keep him.

Ben also decided to offer Papi arb... is Papi a "dirt dog"? No. He offered Papi arb to get 2 picks or to get a DH that is not easily replacable.

What's the evidence that Shoppach, Bailey & Melncon are "dirt dogs"? I'm not saying they aren't. I just have not heard anything that makes me think they are or aren't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right handed Power Hitter? : Dan D signed Manny for his numbers and not his attitude. I don't  think we win '04 or '07 without his lethal RH'd bat in our line-up. He also made Papi a better producer. Theo signed many players based mostly on numbers; I'll grant you that, but we did win 2 rings, and he did sign some "attitude guys (Millar, Roberts, Reese, Mueller...) so I'm not sure we can blast his methodology. Some of his choices were bad. I'm not sure anyone can justify paying Crawford or lackey that kind of money based on their prior "numbers". paying CC $20M+ for about an .850 career OPS was not based on "numbers". I think Theo thought his attitude and "intangibles" made him worth it. Signing and trading for these players worked: Papi Schill Foulke Millar Mueller Roberts Reese Kapler Timlin Embree Are you so sure Ben signed and traded for these guys based on attitude? Scutaro had very good offensive numbers for a SS last year and would have cost $1.5M to let walk anyways. He really only paid a $4.5M differential to keep him. Ben also decided to offer Papi arb... is Papi a "dirt dog"? No. He offered Papi arb to get 2 picks or to get a DH that is not easily replacable. What's the evidence that Shoppach, Bailey & Melncon are "dirt dogs"? I'm not saying they aren't. I just have not heard anything that makes me think they are or aren't.

haha.  That is the catch 22 with the human intangibles Moon.  It is hard to have evidence other than subjective observations, and statements by and about a given player.  My admittedly limited and amateur evals of the players in question sum up to:  Derrrt Dawwwg.   We shall see.  

With Scutaro, I think the statement was, not that he made the obvious move by re-signing him, but that he did it in his very first minute on the job.

To wit, I did not mean it so much as a blanket criticism of Epstein.  He made many, many good moves.  But, when he did err, he erred on the side of overvaluing the numbers alone.

And i am also not suggesting that Ben's approach is, or should be, to only go out and get "dirt dogs" (FWIW I always hated that term, just using it here as a winking lack of a better one): I think getting decidely-non-dirt-dog-David Ortiz back in the fold was a good move.  And an obvious one.  Same as Dan D. signing Ramirez.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

No stat tells the whole story, as such I would be very happy to have a Dwight Evans clone playing RF for Sox in 2012...........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

We need to sign a Right handed OF.  Darnell McDonald failed to hit above .200 for the vast majority of the season, and should be cut.  Thus, we are short an OF'er.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We need to sign a Right handed OF.  Darnell McDonald failed to hit above .200 for the vast majority of the season, and should be cut.  Thus, we are short an OF'er.  

DMac by months:
    Apr: .118
    May: .250
    June: .097
    July: .267
    Aug: .244
    Sep: .382

He did best when we needed him most (Sept).

If DMac plays, it should only be when a LHPs is starting. He would be PH for and replaced most times (if needed) after a RH'd pitcher comes in.

Until we have a better option vs LHPs, DMac isn't going anywhere. From the sounds of it, we don't have money to spend on RF. We barely have enough to spend on more needed pitching.

vs LHPs: OPS: 2010/2011 (career)

DMac:     .821/.804 (.799)
    Aviles:    .642/.924 (.814)
    Sween:   .623/.404 (.594)
    Craw:      .696/.566 (.684)

If we don't make any OF deals, are you ready to put all your eggs in the Aviles basket? 

How can Aviles play LF (for CC) and RF (for Ryan) vs LHPs at the same time?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Justin Upton. Ellsbury plus 2 or 3 blocked prospects should do it.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Why would Arizona make that deal?

They have Upton locked up for 4 more years through age 27 - younger than Ellsbury is today.  Unless those "blocked prospects" are Boegarts, Middlebrooks and Lavarnway, that phone call doesn't get returned....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]And it never will. That's one of the problems with this organization. They tend to discount the human element in favor of statistics. They signed and traded for guys like Schilling, Papi, Millar, Mueller and others based on their numbers and projections not their personalities.
    Schilling, Millar, and Mueller were known gamers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Dont everyone get too excited about Middlebrooks..Although I think the kid is good, his K rate is way too high to even think about playing in the big show and hes doing no better this winter..If he doesnt become a more patient hitter, hes going to have a hard time making the team..I for one hope he turns that around in Pawtucket this year or else we may have to pick up Youks option for 2013..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Right handed Power Hitter? : Why would Arizona make that deal? They have Upton locked up for 4 more years through age 27 - younger than Ellsbury is today.  Unless those "blocked prospects" are Boegarts, Middlebrooks and Lavarnway, that phone call doesn't get returned....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Mr.hanky is the master of suggesting absurd trades and offering guys like Oswalt a $1M deal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Dont everyone get too excited about Middlebrooks..Although I think the kid is good, his K rate is way too high to even think about playing in the big show and hes doing no better this winter..If he doesnt become a more patient hitter, hes going to have a hard time making the team..I for one hope he turns that around in Pawtucket this year or else we may have to pick up Youks option for 2013..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

I'd give Jacoby, Middlebrooks, and Lars for Upton.

Sections
Shortcuts