Rios clamed off waivers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Rios clamed off waivers

Batting 315 against lefties, I hope it's us.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/white-sox-alex-rios-claimed-off-waivers-080813

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Rios clamed off waivers

MLBtraderumors is reporting that the rangers have claimed Alex Rios..

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/unknown-team-claims-alex-rios-on-waivers.html

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/unknown-team-claims-alex-rios-on-waivers.html

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

I try to hold on tightly

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

-Times of grace

That sucks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

$13M per year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

[QUOTE]

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

I try to hold on tightly

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

-Times of grace

That sucks

[/QUOTE]

Would have been worse if we got Rios. Our outfield has been producing why would you trade that for Alex Rios?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While we have serious issues vs LHPs, our OF is not our weakest area on that spli. Victorino and Gomes have been tremendous vs lefties from 2010-2013 and very good over their career. They maybe struggling a little bit this year, but I don't see Rios as a big upgrade at the plate vs LHPs over those two. Nava has better splits vs RHPs, so unless you want to bench Victorino for 2/3rds of the games (vs RH'd starters) then why give up prospects for minimal gains at best?

Now, if Rios played 3B...

The Rios spilts:

vs LHPs .843 (.857 in 2012 and .760 career)

vs RHPs .724 (.848 in 2012 and .785 career)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Right now, 5 of our top 10 hitters can play OF (Carp and nava can play 1B too).

2) Carp  .923

3) Ellsb   .793

4) Nava  .791

8) Gomes .783

10) Vict    .760

OF is not our current weak link.  Waiver deals should be made to stregthen our weakest links only.

Sox4ever

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Micheal Young cleared waivers and can be traded to any team on his short list of approved teams. A list I believe the Red Sox are on. He's not tearing the cover off the ball but is a solid veteran that would slot in nicely at 3B And probably can be had for a bag of balls...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Micheal Young cleared waivers and can be traded to any team on his short list of approved teams. A list I believe the Red Sox are on. He's not tearing the cover off the ball but is a solid veteran that would slot in nicely at 3B And probably can be had for a bag of balls...

Young would certainly be better than Holt or Snyder, not to mention being another solid veteran presence in the clubhouse.

One problem, hes not hitting lefties either!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Batting 315 against lefties, I hope it's us.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/white-sox-alex-rios-claimed-off-waivers-080813

While we have serious issues vs LHPs, our OF is not our weakest area on that spli. Victorino and Gomes have been tremendous vs lefties from 2010-2013 and very good over their career. They maybe struggling a little bit this year, but I don't see Rios as a big upgrade at the plate vs LHPs over those two. Nava has better splits vs RHPs, so unless you want to bench Victorino for 2/3rds of the games (vs RH'd starters) then why give up prospects for minimal gains at best?

Now, if Rios played 3B...

The Rios spilts:

vs LHPs .843 (.857 in 2012 and .760 career)

vs RHPs .724 (.848 in 2012 and .785 career)

Rios is better than Nava, Carp or Gomes against lefties

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think the speculation is Rios was claimed by Texas. I've liked him and I think he would be a better threat batting behind Ortiz than Nap. If the Sox  make that move for a RH bat I think we will  see Nap's name on the waiver wire.

The concern I have since the end of June Nap's numbers haven't changed much except for his K total. Since the end of June Nap has 5 HR's and 10 RBI--all in July. He is batting .203 in the 18 games he's played since the AS Break.  

Truthfully I have to place much of the blame on the entire coaching staff and the GM for not moving him down in the order sooner and not insisting that he spend hours reviewing game film of him pre June 1 and not working with him on making some adjustments because obviously the opposing pitching staffs have made adjustments--there is a reason why he is not performing the way he was. Injury--over compensating for Hip Pain-- Somthing in his off field life-who knows.

He probably has a modest amount left on his contract so waiving him would not be a huge issue. Reynolds is not the answer but he is a RH threat just as Rios or Young would be. The goal, as always, is to have the best 25 on the field.

Drew has a slghtly higher OPS and BA  than Nap-- hard to believe.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I think the speculation is Rios was claimed by Texas. I've liked him and I think he would be a better threat batting behind Ortiz than Nap. If the Sox  make that move for a RH bat I think we will  see Nap's name on the waiver wire.

The concern I have since the end of June Nap's numbers haven't changed much except for his K total. Since the end of June Nap has 5 HR's and 10 RBI--all in July. He is batting .203 in the 18 games he's played since the AS Break.  

Truthfully I have to place much of the blame on the entire coaching staff and the GM for not moving him down in the order sooner and not insisting that he spend hours reviewing game film of him pre June 1 and not working with him on making some adjustments because obviously the opposing pitching staffs have made adjustments--there is a reason why he is not performing the way he was. Injury--over compensating for Hip Pain-- Somthing in his off field life-who knows.

He probably has a modest amount left on his contract so waiving him would not be a huge issue. Reynolds is not the answer but he is a RH threat just as Rios or Young would be. The goal, as always, is to have the best 25 on the field.

Drew has a slghtly higher OPS and BA  than Nap-- hard to believe.

Rios was expensive but I agree would have probably been better than anyone we have in the field and against lefties.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) He won't play instead of Ellsbury.

2) He won't play instead of Victorino.

3) Gomes has been great vs LHPs over his career and recent years up to this year.

Going forward, I don't see Rios as a large enough upgrade over Gomes vs LHPs or Nava vs RHPs to justify the prospects needed to give up to get him.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Rangers Acquire Alex Rios By  Steve Adams [August 9 at 1:03pm CST]

1:03pm: Hayes retracts the report on Garcia, noting that the Rangers will send the White Sox a player to be named later or cash (Twitter link). Jon Heyman of CBS Sports confirms that it's a PTBNL, and adds that the White Sox are sending $1MM to the Rangers in the deal (on Twitter).

1:00pm: The Rangers have acquired Alex Rios from the White Sox, according to Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago. The White Sox will receive Leury Garcia in the deal, he adds (Twitter links)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

3) Gomes has been great vs LHPs over his career and recent years up to this year.

Going forward, I don't see Rios as a large enough upgrade over Gomes vs LHPs or Nava vs RHPs to justify the prospects needed to give up to get him.

Sox4ever

Hey moon,

Rios is faster, has a good glove, steals bases and hits better than Gomes all round.  I would say he would have been a "hands down" upgrade over any of our LF's but thats just my opinion.  Gomes is also a platoon player, Rios isn't and I'm sure he could have handled LF.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

looks like texas got a deal done for rios, the rumored prospect they sent to the white sox was ranked 20th in their system. Now i am not a huge fan of rios (though he is better than gomes/nava etc), but if thats what the price was then i would have been all for it. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

looks like texas got a deal done for rios, the rumored prospect they sent to the white sox was ranked 20th in their system. Now i am not a huge fan of rios (though he is better than gomes/nava etc), but if thats what the price was then i would have been all for it. 

I look at the Sox missing the boat on Rios for the following reasons.

#1 Rios is a player who can play every day against any pitcher

#2 He could probably play LF as good or better and has a decent arm

#3 He filled our need for a RH bat and has experience in the AL East

#4 We probably could have had him through 2015

#5 He steals bases and has decent speed unlike Carp, Gomes, Nap and Nava

#6 His offense could make up for losing Jacoby, which Bradley won’t do for a year or two

#7 Cost wise he would have been cheaper than Jacoby next season

#8 He makes Texas better when Cruz returns

Those are pretty significant factors in return for an unproven prospect, as was Peavy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Remember, Texas had the right to claim Rios before the Sox did, so the Sox could not get him.  Yes, they could have attempted a trade before the deadline, but so could Texas.  I am guessing the price in prospects was too high, so he didn't go anywhere.  Once the trade deadline passed the price dropped.

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever

Hey moon,

Rios is faster, has a good glove, steals bases and hits better than Gomes all round.  I would say he would have been a "hands down" upgrade over any of our LF's but thats just my opinion.  Gomes is also a platoon player, Rios isn't and I'm sure he could have handled LF.

I said he was an upgrade, just not enough to be worth trading prospects for.

I was responding more to the hitting part of the equation. No doubt Rios brings more than just offense to the table when compared to Gomes and Nava, but my response was geared more towards this...

2011-2013 OPS:

vs RHPs:

Rios  .724

Nava .829

vs LHPs:

Rios  .795

Gomes .871

2012-2013 OPS

vs RHPs:

Rios  .795

Nava .829

vs LHPs: 

Rios:  .852

Gomes  .874

2013 alone:

vs RHPs:

Rios  .724

Nava  .854

vs LHPs:

Rios  .843

Gomes  .729

If picking up Rios was supposed to help our offense, I'm not convinced it would happen.

Sections
Shortcuts