RIP DICK WILLIAMS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sincityLV73. Show sincityLV73's posts

RIP DICK WILLIAMS

Reports out here in Las Vegas by Las Vegas Review Journal is that Dick Williams has passed away @ his home in Las Vegas....Sad day for the Red Sox organization, players, and fans of that amazing 1967 season...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: RIP DICK WILLIAMS

Let's hope this ownership group understands the place in our Red Sox history that Dick Williams holds and honors him with some type of pre game ceremony real soon. I think he should have his number retired or something.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Yes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sincityLV73. Show sincityLV73's posts

In Response to Re: RIP DICK WILLIAMS:
    [QUOTE]Yes.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

hopefully by the end of the year...Maybe if they play the A's again at the end of August @ Fenway...that would be very nice opportunity for both teams to witness...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

condolences to the Williams family, sad news for baseball, and fans of the Sox, A's and Friars...Frown

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Truly a sad day not just for Red Sox fans but MLB in general.  Dick was old school tough as nails and he lead several organizations to winning baseball.  He was one of the truly great managers and he'll definately be missed!

From his Wikipedia page:

Known especially as a hard-driving, sharp-tongued manager from 1967–69 and 1971–88, he led teams to three American League pennants, one National League pennant, and two World Series triumphs. He is one of seven managers to win pennants in both major leagues, and joined Bill McKechnie in becoming only the second manager to lead three franchises to the Series. He and Lou Piniella are the only managers in history to lead four teams to seasons of 90 or more wins. Williams was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2008 following his election by the Veterans Committee.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIP DICK WILLIAMS :   YOUR RIGHT ZILLY..... DICK WILLIAMS IS THE REASON THE RED SOX ARE THE FRANCHISE THEY ARE TODAY !!!!   1967, WHAT A YEAR !!!! Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Disagree entirely.

Dick Williams was important, don't get me wrong. But he ranks behind Dick O'Connell, who built that team. And he ranks behind Yaz.

Remember, Yaz committed himself to be in better condition for 1967 and to become more of a pull hitter in the offseason, and that had nothing to do with Williams.

Williams' role was cracking the whip with a young team, which was his specialty. He was a good manager, but he excelled at instilling discipline into a young team. That's why he was good with young teams (Boston and Oakland) and teaching them what it takes to be a winner, but he ALWAYS wore out his welcome. He never did handle veteran clubs very well throughout his career.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Dick was a real dick - a hardass that was needed when a team needed a kick in the azz.  Fortunately, he landed in Boston at the right time to help turn around a fledgling franchise.  While it took the Red Sox some time to ultimately reverse the curse, he is probably as responsible as anyone for changing the course of the team, rekindling interest, and reviving fan expectations. 

He had a great career as a manager and had a significant impact on the Red Sox and baseball as a whole.  As a Red Sox and baseball fan, thank you for your contribution. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

RIP Dick Williams.
    Truly the father of the Sox rise to prominence from
    the mediocrity of the post Ted Williams era.
    Dick O' Connell never won anything. Williams won everywhere he went.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIP DICK WILLIAMS :   YOUR RIGHT ZILLY..... DICK WILLIAMS IS THE REASON THE RED SOX ARE THE FRANCHISE THEY ARE TODAY !!!!   1967, WHAT A YEAR !!!!  THANKS DICK, FOR BEING THE MANAGER THAT YOU WERE !!!  I WOULD LIKE TO THINK THAT CARL YAZ AGREES WITH THIS POST !!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Yaz was the main reason Williams was fired, the two didn't get along, and Yaz would go up-stairs to Yawkey to complain about the manager. It was Williams who called Yaz out,I believe in LA, for not hustling in '68. For all you youngsters out there Yaz was a gigantic pain in the butt in his early years, before he did a make-over during the seventies.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIP DICK WILLIAMS :    Yaz was the main reason Williams was fired, the two didn't get along, and Yaz would go up-stairs to Yawkey to complain about the manager. It was Williams who called Yaz out,I believe in LA, for not hustling in '68. For all you youngsters out there Yaz was a gigantic pain in the butt in his early years, before he did a make-over during the seventies.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]
    Ditto. Yaz definitely got him fired. My Dad always complained that Ted Williams never had the influence with Yawkey that Yaz did. Yaz and Lonborg did carry that team but no bleeping way they win that year with any other manager. He would bench Boomer if he was overweight. Boomer still respects him to this day. Charlie Finley was an idiot and should have begged him to stay.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIP DICK WILLIAMS :    Yaz was the main reason Williams was fired, the two didn't get along, and Yaz would go up-stairs to Yawkey to complain about the manager. It was Williams who called Yaz out,I believe in LA, for not hustling in '68. For all you youngsters out there Yaz was a gigantic pain in the butt in his early years, before he did a make-over during the seventies.

Yaz was hurt. It was incidents like this that made him lose the entire team. The Yaz-got-Williams fired is something of a myth because of Yaz's relationship with Yawkey and because of some of Williams' actions (like above).

But the fact is, Williams' act had worn thin with everyone. The scenario repeated itself at other stops. There's a reason why he's managed six teams.

Yaz's changed from a spoiled brat began in the offseason of 1966, long before the 1970s.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIP DICK WILLIAMS : Yaz was hurt. It was incidents like this that made him lose the entire team. The Yaz-got-Williams fired is something of a myth because of Yaz's relationship with Yawkey and because of some of Williams' actions (like above). But the fact is, Williams' act had worn thin with everyone. The scenario repeated itself at other stops. There's a reason why he's managed six teams. Yaz's changed from a spoiled brat began in the offseason of 1966, long before the 1970s.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

That about says it. He had a lot of B. Martin in him in the way he dealt with players.
    At the same time, Yawkey placated Yaz, with good reason.
    Sad to hear of Williams' passing. But let's not let the truth about him drown in a sea of remorse.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

wow  watched the pregame comments by Tito and Jerry about Dick....it wasnt too hard to read between the lines that he was disliked, maybe even hated by his players...old school i guess to a fault

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sometimes a team needs a little "Billy Martining"...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Ridiculous; just like ever other endeavor in life, every player, mgr, FO exec, scouts or other organizational types have their good and bad points; also, what can be good at one time can be bad at others; this is illustrated very well by DW, Casey Stengel, Leo Durocher, and even Joe McCarthy. Let me state, very clearly, that without Dick Williams there IS NO IMPOSSIBLE DREAM SEASON. I rarely say this, but this is not an opinion; this is a FACT. His HOF inclusion is well deserved. (And let us not forget what he did with the As)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I agree. But that style doesn't mesh well in the era of the millionaire.
    Leland and Manuel are exceptions. Generally speaking, the art of compromise goes further these days.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I agree. But that style doesn't mesh well in the era of the millionaire. Leland and Manuel are exceptions. Generally speaking, the art of compromise goes further these days.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

You forgot Showalter, who is one SOB.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I'm fairly certain of one thing; if DW was managing the current Yankees, Jeter would be batting 9th; and Girardi is not really a player's MGR. If it was the current RS; he would tell Lackey to shape up & shut up or ship out; no matter what his domestic problems are. He would have alienated Dice-K long ago. He may not even be thrilled with Pap's Huff, Puff & Stare routine when he comes in a game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think Williams makes Showwalter look tame in comparison.
    The lion and the lion-tamer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIP DICK WILLIAMS : Yaz was hurt. It was incidents like this that made him lose the entire team. The Yaz-got-Williams fired is something of a myth because of Yaz's relationship with Yawkey and because of some of Williams' actions (like above). But the fact is, Williams' act had worn thin with everyone. The scenario repeated itself at other stops. There's a reason why he's managed six teams. Yaz's changed from a spoiled brat began in the offseason of 1966, long before the 1970s.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
       He changed physically after '66. It took a few more years for the mental part, he was still dividing the clubhouse in '67 with him and his cronies on one side and Tony C. and Petro on the other.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIP DICK WILLIAMS :    He changed physically after '66. It took a few more years for the mental part, he was still dividing the clubhousein '67 with him and his cronies on one side and Tony C. and Petro on the other.

That's where Williams created a unifying force. He made himself the target, as Softy does here. In either case, was it planned? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I agree. But that style doesn't mesh well in the era of the millionaire. Leland and Manuel are exceptions. Generally speaking, the art of compromise goes further these days.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Charley Manuel strikes me as a clown who just happens to have a very good team.

Sections
Shortcuts