R.I.P George "Boomer" Scott

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

R.I.P George "Boomer" Scott

http://www.ddtonline.com/news/article_9794d3ee-f86b-11e2-8577-001a4bcf887a.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: R.I.P George

Loved The Boomer.

His homer vs. the Twins on the last weekend of 1967 is truly the stuff of legends.

I can still hear Ken Coleman's call of the homerun....and the line from the poem on the LP..."and Scotty steps up to the plate and belts one towards the stands..."

Without question one of my favorite moments in Red Sox history (at least the part I know about).

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sad day for me too, growing up with Scott. Very good Defensively too. God Bless.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Peace.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

'67.  The Year of the Impossible Dream.  First year I can remember following baseball.  Tony C.  Jim Lonborg.  The Man we call Yaz. 

Loved that team. 

R.I.P.,  George.  Thanks for the memories.

Dreaming the Impossible Dream

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

Good memories of him in the 1967 season...RIP Boomer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

And he hits another 'tater'.....RIP

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Damn...

Goodbye, Boomer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The original BIG papi, back in the day. RIP boomer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

One of my favorites as a child.Thank you Boomer and rest in peace 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

"Taters" his name for home runs  RIP Mr. Scott

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

RIP

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

It was wrong for the Sox to trade him after the 1971 season, leaving the team without a legit 1B.

It was wrong to reacquire him before the 1977 season, by giving up Cecil Cooper.

Scott epitomized everything that was wrong with team management in the 1970s.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

my prayers and condolences to his family.

loved the boomah. RIP George.

I hope that johnny pesky and teddy ballgame are there at the pearly gates to greet you.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

Scott epitomized everything that was wrong with team management in the 1970s.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

I disagree with this statement. It's too broad. You have to seperate the early and mid-70s when Dick O'Connell was in charge with the late 70s when Haywood Sullivan took over.

I agree that the Scott trades weren't good. The Sox would have been better off not making the 1971 trade IMO. When they re-acquired Scott, it worked out better for the Sox in the short run (1977) but not the long run.

But to say it epitomized everything that was wrong with management in the 1970s does a severe disservice to O'Connell who still might be the best GM in Sox history, all things considered. 

Despite Scott struggling in 1978, I will say I was glad to have Scott in 1977 -- one of my favorite seasons when I was a kid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Sad day...RIP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FL33178. Show FL33178's posts

RIP Boomer !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

He loved hitting those taters! RIP, Boomer, we love you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I remember him his second time around. I was only 1 when they traded him the 1st time. Always loved him and cheering his nickname "BOOOOOMAH!!!"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

I remember him coming up as a third baseman, and a very good one. But they had another kid, Joe Foy, for third, so they moved Boomer to first. And the rest is history. What a defensive first baseman!

RIP George Scott. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Loved The Boomer.

His homer vs. the Twins on the last weekend of 1967 is truly the stuff of legends.

I can still hear Ken Coleman's call of the homerun....and the line from the poem on the LP..."and Scotty steps up to the plate and belts one towards the stands..."

Without question one of my favorite moments in Red Sox history (at least the part I know about).

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

Loved the the 67' sox, all of them, what a year!  I was at the second to last game of the year with my family.  I'll never forget the excitement in the park.  I have the dvd of the game.  Boy, things sure were different in those days.  Batters actually stayed in the box between pitches LOL!

Sorry to see scott pass, he was fun to watch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

my prayers and condolences to his family.

loved the boomah. RIP George.

I hope that johnny pesky and teddy ballgame are there at the pearly gates to greet you.

Nice post.  I'll add tony conig to the list!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In addition to hitting taters, he also said the ball looked like a grapefruit when he was seeing it well, and a black eyed pea when when he was not.  The Boomer had a thang for food references.  

RIP boomer, the first Red Sox first baseman I remember watching.  

Sections
Shortcuts