RIP Johnny Pesky

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: RIP Johnny Pesky

In Response to Re: RIP Johnny Pesky:
    [QUOTE]Mark Feinsand NY Daily News, Yankees Beat Writer Derek Jeter was saddened to hear of the passing of Red Sox legend Johnny Pesky: "He was always so nice to me throughout the years."
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

No one is perfect, not even Johnny.

Wink

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Condolences to all who knew him...a great ambassador of the game. On eagles wings :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Sad day for fans in New England and Sox Nation. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

my new avatar....forever....

accentuate the positive...honor greatness....Johnny Pesky RIP

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Jeter on Pesky: "Every time I’d see him, he would say, ‘I hope you get 4 hits today – and the guy behind you hits into 4 double plays."

RIP Johnny.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from norm9340. Show norm9340's posts

I hope the Sox find a way to wear the # 6 on their unis for the rest of the season

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Johnny Pesky was a class act.....sad news....R.I.P.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

More class than a teacher.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

[QUOTE]I hope the Sox find a way to wear the # 6 on their unis for the rest of the season
    Posted by norm9340[/QUOTE]
    Great idea, that would please him.  I'm glad he got to see the '04 & '07 championships.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Red Sox News: Red Sox players will wear armbands to honor Johnny Pesky and are planning a public tribute at Fenway Park. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Pesky was an amazing player in that in spite of his dearth of power, he lead the AL in hits in each of his first three full seasons (interrupted by three years of military service), and found a way to draw between 99 and 104 walks in each of the next three seasons after that.

He was relegated to the bench at only age 32 when his bat suddenly went sour, retiring with a .307/.394/.386 slash line...and impressive OBP for a guy with only 17 HR in almost 1300 games...

RIP to pesky Johnny Pesky...

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Sad news for the Red Sox and their fans.  He was such a great ambassador for the Sox, he will be missed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In 1999 I met Johnny Pesky at the City of Palms spring training facility.  The entire spring Pesky contributed to morning work-outs by hitting fungos to the prospects, then I believe he was 79 years old.

Throughout the summer of 1999 Johnny Pesky visited the Lowell Spinners team in Lowell about six times. Each game he would dress out in uniform and go out onto the field to hit some fungos or just chat with the "kids".  He would come back to the locker room, change-out, shower and I would carry his leather gym bag to his car; I believe it was a Caddy, but I cannot exactly remember. I'd have to say Johnny's memory at 79 was sharper than mine now!  

Most of my conversations with Mr. Pesky were me bouncing names like "Reggie Smith" or "Ben Oglive" off him and watching the legend pause, lean back and start each response with "Good kid..."  Normally if not 100% of the time he had nothing but great things to say about each players name I brought up.  I tried to go deep a  couple of times with him by asking about players like "Mike Garmen" or some obscure player .. obscure to me but not Johnny Pesky.

Johnny was very humorous, often making jokes about his age. I would have liked to have known him longer, asked him more, but I can say I did know Johnny Pesky on some level more than watching a tele or reading an article.

Perhaps the most lasting memory I have, though my memory forbays me from recalling who in the group specifically answered me that day at City of Palms, is when I asked Johnny, Charlie Wagner, and Eddie Popowski "Where are you guys going tomorrow on the day-off?"  Answer:  "We are going to Ted's house."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to "Re: RIP Johnny Pesky": [QUOTE]In 1999 I met Johnny Pesky at the City of Palms spring training facility.  The entire spring Pesky contributed to morning work-outs by hitting fungos to the prospects, then I believe he was 79 years old. Throughout the summer of 1999 Johnny Pesky visited the Lowell Spinners team in Lowell about six times. Each game he would dress out in uniform and go out onto the field to hit some fungos or just chat with the "kids".  He would come back to the locker room, change-out, shower and I would carry his leather gym bag to his car; I believe it was a Caddy, but I cannot exactly remember. I'd have to say Johnny's memory at 79 was sharper than mine now!   Most of my conversations with Mr. Pesky were me bouncing names like "Reggie Smith" or "Ben Oglive" off him and watching the legend pause, lean back and start each response with "Good kid..."  Normally if not 100% of the time he had nothing but great things to say about each players name I brought up.  I tried to go deep a  couple of times with him by asking about players like "Mike Garmen" or some obscure player .. obscure to me but not Johnny Pesky. Johnny was very humorous, often making jokes about his age. I would have liked to have known him longer, asked him more, but I can say I did know Johnny Pesky on some level more than watching a tele or reading an article. Perhaps the most lasting memory I have, though my memory forbids me from recalling who in the group specifically said this to me is at the City of Palms when I asked Johnny, Charlie Wagner, and Eddie P "Where are you guys going tomorrow on the day-off?"  Answer:  "We are going to Ted's house." Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE] Great story burrito. I enjoyed reading it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Thanks. Hopefully I got Johnny on film... I made a few videos at the time and I hope to find that I have him on there just beiong himself. True gentlemen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

Condolences to the Nation.

RIP Mr. Pesky.