RIP Mel Parnell

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: RIP Mel Parnell

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

That's sad, the guy was a heck of a pitcher. I hope they do some sort of tribute or at least a moment of silence for him when I am at tomorrow night's game. 

Here's a little about him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to RIP Mel Parnell:
    [QUOTE]One of the all-time Red Sox greats has passed away. This guy was a throwback to the time when pitchers were expected to pitch. Condolences to his family. http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7716737/mel-parnell-former-boston-red-sox-pitcher-dead-89
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Glad you started this post. I psses me off when Sox fans don't know former greats like him.

I would like to make a comment about the statement in bold. Parnell had just six prme years out of his short 10-year career. He was basicall done after age 31 -- just 12-16 with a 4.44 ERA. In those six excellent years, he averages 241 innings pitched, 37 games, 30 GS and 17 CG. In those years had had between four and nine games where he pitched in relief.

In his best year, 1949, when he went 25-7, he started 33 games with 27 complete games and pitched in relief six times. He finished with 295 innings pitched and led the league with 1,240 batters and walked 134 batters. They didn't keep pitch counts back then, but I would hate to see what his pitch counts were that year.

His IP decreased in ensuing years -- 249-221-214 (12-12) before bouncing back up to 241 in his last good year when he went 21-8 with a 3.06 ERA but led the league with 116 walks.

I just wonder if his career was cut short because of the way he was used. Pitchers might be babied too much today, but there's a reason. Look back throughout baseball history and see the number of pitchers who had great years 20-game winners -- but you never really heard of (and even many you have) because they had just a couple of good years then were gone. If you look at their games and IP you can guess that they probably blew out their arms from overuse.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

In Response to Re: RIP Mel Parnell:
    [QUOTE]That's sad, the guy was a heck of a pitcher. I hope they do some sort of tribute or at least a moment of silence for him when I am at tomorrow night's game.  Here's a little about him. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/pitcher-mel-parnell-who-spent-his-major-league-career-with-boston-red-sox-dies-at-age-89/2012/03/21/gIQAPfteRS_story.html
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Why don't you walk out onto the field during the seventh inning stretch with the parrot on your shoulder and give a eulogy about your old friend Mel that you met when you were minus 20 years old?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

I can recall listening to Mel Parnell pitch a no-hitter on my transistor radio sometime in the middle 1950s. What a shame that the Yankee / KC combined franchise had a dynasty during that era. The Commissioner let it go and looked the other way. What a travesty.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

So by the two posts in front of mine, we can see that ft.Meade posted at 11:47 pm, and lowelll at 11:51 pm. So it takes you four minutes to log out of one account and into another pike? What are you on dial up? Smoke signals? Stone knives and bear skins?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

11:47 am to 11:51 pm is a difference of 12 hrs. and four minutes.
    Was it you or your Dad that wrote that Civil War thread?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: RIP Mel Parnell:
    [QUOTE]11:47 am to 11:51 pm is a difference of 12 hrs. and four minutes. Was it you or your Dad that wrote that Civil War thread?
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

Although your original premise regarding post times is right, practically all your posts here smack of associative pathology; not good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Was a great pitcher even in Fenway when lefties often got killed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Sad to see him pass.

Good pitcher, genuinely nice guy.

Only Bruce Hurst is remembered as a Sox lefty, IMO. And a good one.

I remember when he was the color commentator with Curt Gowdy, Ken Coleman and Ned Martin.  In the mid-60s. Called the final game of the '67 season.

Wow. What a life.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This thread is everything that's wrong with this board. Here we had the chance to talk about perhaps the greatest lefty in Sox history (or second-greatest after Babe Ruth), yet this is just the 12th post on the thread and four of them had nothing to do with him. 

The top six starters IMO in Sox history are (chronological order): Cy Young, Babe Ruth, Mel Parnell, Luis Tiant, Clemens and Pedro. Pick any for or five in their prime (depending on era for a four-man or five-man rotation) and I'll take on anyone.

It really is too bad is career was cut short by injury, and as I mentioned in my earlier post, I wonder if it had anything to do with how he was used.

Sections
Shortcuts