RISP---Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

RISP---Red Sox

Where do you find a Team Stat for leaving RISP?

I found something that would indicate we are 21 st in the Majors for that stat--3.7. It seems like we leave more than almost 4 RISP per game.

On any given day we have two or three starters batting .200 or less. They are usually the last 2 or 3 batters in the order.  These batters seem to come to bat more frequently with ROB. JBJ has the most RBI of the three but it seems like quite a while since he has had a RBI.

Ortiz is the best RBI guy on the team followed by Napoli. Nap hasn't done much lately but no one other than Ortiz has exhibited much power. Perhaps either move Nap up to the # 3 and Ortiz #4 so Nap gets better pitches to hit. If Vic is out of the lineup keep Carp and Gomes in the lineup with Sizemore in CF. Give up a little "D" for more "O."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: RISP---Red Sox

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I found something that would indicate we are 21 st in the Majors for that stat--3.7. It seems like we leave more than almost 4 RISP per game.

On any given day we have two or three starters batting .200 or less. They are usually the last 2 or 3 batters in the order.  These batters seem to come to bat more frequently with ROB. JBJ has the most RBI of the three but it seems like quite a while since he has had a RBI.

Ortiz is the best RBI guy on the team followed by Napoli. Nap hasn't done much lately but no one other than Ortiz has exhibited much power. Perhaps either move Nap up to the # 3 and Ortiz #4 so Nap gets better pitches to hit. If Vic is out of the lineup keep Carp and Gomes in the lineup with Sizemore in CF. Give up a little "D" for more "O."

the thing w/ batting your best hitter 3rd is your guarantee he will hit in the first inning.  you give the other pitcher comfort knowing he may not have to face the best hitter until the 2nd inning.

i still think the offense is ONE SLUGGER away from being fully functional.  Someone who can bat 5th behind Naps........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

the thing w/ batting your best hitter 3rd is your guarantee he will hit in the first inning.  you give the other pitcher comfort knowing he may not have to face the best hitter until the 2nd inning.

i still think the offense is ONE SLUGGER away from being fully functional.  Someone who can bat 5th behind Naps........

I get that...but I agree with the OP. I think Ortiz should be batting 4th, Napoli 3rd. To me..trying to get into the pitcher's head is not reason enough to justify batting Ortiz in the number 3 spot. I doubt the pitcher is thinking this way anyhow.  Pedey is no slouch...neither is Victorino.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I agree with the big bat behind Nap. Perhaps try Xander, Size, Pedroia, Ortiz, Nap, Carp, Gomes, AJ, WMB, This may extend the line-up a bit. JBJ needs to be out of the starting lineup for a while.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I've been asking this question for quite some time, or rather the question, "Do hitters hit for a higher (or lower) average with people on base, or does it just seem that way?"  I've suspected that there is no discernable difference between having RISP and not having runners in RISP over all of baseball but I've been reluctant to say so without data to back it up andI can't find that data.  It would seem that in a sport that's consumed with statistics as obscure as a player's BA in a day game after a night game, with one out, on a 2-2 count against a left handed pitcher and the hitter had orange juice for breakfast rather than cranberry juice that data should be available. But then again, I'm just a guru in training. :-)  

The whole situation with JBJ seems to be a Devil's Deal.  We get to have his GG defense but we have to give up even adequate offense to get it.   

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

IDK where U can find team comparisons but

U can get the individual team stats 4 hitting risp from B Ref

and do the math from there

or maybe some stat geek like moon will come up with it 4 us ;-)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=BOS&year=2014#bases

just remember like all stats risp is flawed

does not give credit for getting the run in by ground ball or sac fly

in other words this is one of the few times where striking out hurts

and the sox do K

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Our pitching staff is fine. Problem is that out of 9 innings we only have about 3 in which to look forward to a fair chance to score. Papi .302, Vic .292, Pedey .278 and Nap .252 but then AJ,  Bogaerds,  Gomes,  Sizemore are all in the .230-.240 range & then our real problem...Bradley .200, Middy .197, Ross .182 & Nava .149.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I've suspected that there is no discernable difference between having RISP and not having runners in RISP over all of baseball but I've been reluctant to say so without data to back it up andI can't find that data.

looks like as far as the sox go this yr 

U might B right S5

total  245 avg RISP 243 avg

OBP is a  little different it actually goes up

334 OBP tot  342 w RISP

I guess that makes sense if a pitcher is having a bad inning

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

When I saw the title to this thread, I thought it meant 'Rest in silent peace.'

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Would you be talking about our hitters?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

IDK where U can find team comparisons but

U can get the individual team stats 4 hitting risp from B Ref

and do the math from there

or maybe some stat geek like moon will come up with it 4 us ;-)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=BOS&year=2014#bases" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=BOS&year=2014#bases" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=BOS&year=2014#bases

just remember like all stats risp is flawed

does not give credit for getting the run in by ground ball or sac fly

in other words this is one of the few times where striking out hurts

and the sox do K

I wouldn't mind pinstripes if we got ground balls, suicides or Sac Flys---these guys can't even get a fly ball deep enough to score someone. I think trying Xander as leadoff and giving JBJ time in AAA can't hurt our chances. Extending the order to me is the key---turn over the lineup keep the pressure on--no easy outs.

Scherzer, Verlander, Tanaka, Darvish are going to control most of the games they pitch. The key is to win the games other teams aces aren't pitching. Our pitching has been pretty darn good, both the rotation and the pen. Hopefully the pitching will be there when and if the bats come out of hibernation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-Best spot for RISP is Base Reference, as Zak mentioned.

2-Going back to 2013, the league OPS was .725, while the league OPS with RISP was .733.  There might be a slight skew since I assume the better hitting teams get more ABs with RISP, thus raising the RISP slightly.

3-In 2013, our OPS was .795, while our RISP OPS was .794, and the top 3 teams were the top three teams in both categories, though not the same order, so I would assum that OPS ~= RISP OPS.

4-In 2014, our OPS is .714 while out RISP OPS is .704.  In other words, we aren't really hitting that badly with RISP, we are just hitting that badly overall.

5-And, FWIW, and it isn't worth much, we are ahead of BA with RISP, and way ahead of the NYY with RISP.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I wouldn't mind pinstripes if we got ground balls, suicides or Sac Flys---these guys can't even get a fly ball deep enough to score someone. I think trying Xander as leadoff and giving JBJ time in AAA can't hurt our chances. Extending the order to me is the key---turn over the lineup keep the pressure on--no easy outs.

I agree

I think breaking in 2 rookies at the same time is asking for problems

Scherzer, Verlander, Tanaka, Darvish are going to control most of the games they pitch. The key is to win the games other teams aces aren't pitching. Our pitching has been pretty darn good, both the rotation and the pen.

yup

Hopefully the pitching will be there when and if the bats come out of hibernation.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that

but ain't it a kicker how many times

when one thing comes around and the other goes south

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We have been struggling at the plate for much of the season. Hitting with RISP is just part of that. Sometimes you can hit the ball hard and it becomes a double play. I would not say that they are pressing. Just not hitting well in general.

Stabbed by Foulke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Sox get no Rispect.  Sorry my bad, but it was just sitting there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Sox get no Rispect.  Sorry my bad, but it was just sitting there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Only in Boston has RISP gone from an acronym to a four letter dirty word

Sections
Shortcuts