1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

RISP

A's 8 for 11
    Sox 0 for 10
    Nuff said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: RISP

AGon led MLB in RISP batting average and now plays for the Dodgers.  And guess what?  When the Sox had him, they were still losers.  When the Sox had AGon and Ortiz, they were still either losers or barely at .500 or higher.

The Sox pitching stinks and must be fixed. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

AGon led MLB in RISP batting average and now plays for the Dodgers.  And guess what?  When the Sox had him, they were still losers.  When the Sox had AGon and Ortiz, they were still either losers or barely at .500 or higher.

The Sox pitching stinks and must be fixed. 

You don't go from one extreme to another, however. The Sox had plenty of games this year where pitching was great and they still lost. 

And it's worth nothing that the bottom dropped out when Ortiz and Middlebrooks went out basically around the same time. It would be interesting what would have happened if Ortiz and Middlebrooks stayed healthy when Crawford and Ellsbury came back.

IMO had the lineup been healthy all year, the Sox would have been either in first place in the wild card or within a game or two and if the Lester was like last year they'd be challenging for the Yankees and if Lester and Beckett was like last year they'd be in first place.

It hasn't been just one thing.

If the pitching was better but the lineup still had issues, they'd be right there in the wildcard hunt. Then if the lineup was healthy all year they'd be in first place.

The big mistake going forward is if they focus so much on the pitching that they neglect the lineup. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Sounds like alot of ifs; unless that was your intention.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Wait till next year, it will get better !!!   What a trade !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I know it seems bleek over the last few seasons, but did those quickly forget the SOX did win 2 World Series Titles just a shot time ago. And to be honest, I never thought I would see them win one let alone 2 in my lifetime.

I have to agree with Bill. What a trade is right. Best thing that could have happened for the SOX. Unbelievable to be able to rid themselves of all those poor contracts. And it will prove itself to have been the best move in the near future. The SOX were handcuffed with bad contracts. Their pitching staff is horrible. So, what were they supposed to do keep the same crew going and going and getting nowhere with that so called talent? NO. 

CC just was not worth his contract nor was he a good fit for Boston. Beckett had worn out his welcome. To me, he wanted to be traded and finally was. AG was also another overpaid contract and not a great fit for Boston. He was not needed. Youk was doing great at 1st and Beltre at 3rd. The SOX had no choice but to move these contracts if they actually wanted to compete again in the near future. 

Have some patience. See what the SOX can put together over the next few seasons. And I honestly believe it will be worth the wait.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I agree, antiqueman. Very well stated.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Sounds like alot of ifs; unless that was your intention.

What's your point.

When a team is underachieving, you look for reasons when analyzing. So you look at the Red Sox's problems on the field and there were four main reasons:

1. Lester underachieved.

2. Beckett uncerachieved.

3. The lineup was never healthy at the same time.

4. The bullpen was in flux because of Bailey's injury.

The Sox had a multiple things go wrong, which made it hard for one area to make up for problems in another area. They had plenty of talent. If nothing went wrong -- Lester and Beckett were like last year, the lineup was healthy, Bailey was healthy (I don't think he would have blown seven saves or so like Aceves) etc. -- the Sox were a 95-win team IMO.

For each thing that went wrong, the team got weaker. Sometimes a team can make up for it. For instance, if the 4-5 starters went lights out, that could have offset Beckett and Lester's struggles. If Aceves was better that might have helped the pen more. He wasn't horrible but he wasn't great either. The Sox got a boost here and there from replacements in the lineup which helped in the short term but wasn't enough in the long term. And they never replaced the huge holes in the lineup that was left when Ortiz and MIddlebrooks went out.

So you had a perfect storm where multiple things went wrong and this is the result. Everyone wants to talk about the "toxic clubhouse" but fail to show how that was the cause of injuries or how it effected certain individual performances. Too many fans and media members like to focus on their own pet theories that they have blinders on to everything else and don't see the big picture.