Rivera tears ACL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Rivera tears ACL

Incredible. Shagging fly balls? Looks like some of our injury luck has rubbed off onto the Yankees.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Re: Rivera tears ACL

Rivera can pitch on one leg....he'll be fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL:
    [QUOTE]Rivera can pitch on one leg....he'll be fine.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

good one Harv made me chuckle

no matter how much you hate the EE, it's hard not to like Mo.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

DOWN GOES MO

DOWN GOES MO

DOWN GOES MO

Now all the yankee fans who claim it won't be a big deal when Rivera retires will get to see it first hand - NOW.  If Rivera is the best evah, then whoever replaces him will be a downgrade.  Logic dicates that and you can not have it both ways.

Furthermore, assuming it's Robertson or Soriano then who takes their place as set up men?  If Robertson is the best set man, evah, then whoever replaces him will be a downgrade.  Logic dicates that and you can not have it both ways.

He's been their MVP since 1996.  No more guarantees in the 9th inning and the trickle down effect will be felt in the 8th and perhaps even 7th innings.

yankees will have to battle it out now with everyone else for the Wild Card.  Let the new era begin..........

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Granite2000. Show Granite2000's posts

Terrible turn of events for Rivera. The guy is without question the game's greatest closer in history. Anyone who takes any joy from this is a troll.

This is a freak injury which occured during what is a long time routine for Rivera. Easy to point fingers and second guess, but the bottom line is that a 42yo man badly twisted his knee during a warmup routine routine he has pursued since 1995.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

tough break...AL east a 5 horse race.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Wrong, anyone who doesn't take joy in this is a "TROLL" - see, I can make up Golden Rules too.

Also, Wrong, he is not the greatest closer of all time.  There was a time when closers didn't come into a clean 9th, up by 2 runs and only threw 70-80 innings a year.  Gosage and Quisenbury and Hernandez all logged over 100 innings and even Eck was better.  See?  You said "without question"  I'm questioning it.  Now who's the troll?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]THEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-UH-UH CAREER'S OVER!
    Posted by SpruceTrap[/QUOTE]
    You know I'm not sure if your screen ID just an iteration of some other ID that was banned; or if you are new to the board ... but on this board ... no matter how much vitriol goes back and forth between the two teams ... there always seemed to be guys that were off limits; pedroia is one of them; maybe jeter - he might suffer a little from overexposure -- but rivera is universally respected. I get the John Sterling reference ... but I think it was in poor taste and regardless of your ability to site WAR; UZR; and OPS stats; maybe you don't know as much baseball as you think you do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]DOWN GOES MO DOWN GOES MO DOWN GOES MO Now all the yankee fans who claim it won't be a big deal when Rivera retires will get to see it first hand - NOW.  If Rivera is the best evah, then whoever replaces him will be a downgrade.  Logic dicates that and you can not have it both ways. Furthermore, assuming it's Robertson or Soriano then who takes their place as set up men?  If Robertson is the best set man, evah, then whoever replaces him will be a downgrade.  Logic dicates that and you can not have it both ways. He's been their MVP since 1996.  No more guarantees in the 9th inning and the trickle down effect will be felt in the 8th and perhaps even 7th innings. yankees will have to battle it out now with everyone else for the Wild Card.  Let the new era begin..........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    What Yankee fan said it wouldn't be a big deal when Rivera retired? Jess, Jete, '42 ... you guys never said that, did you?

I'm for whatever makes the Yankees lose ... except this. Mo is not only the greatest closer ever, he's one of the classiest guys who ever played. I truly hope he recovers from this and comes back strong ... but always blows saves against us.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

You cannot despise the Yankees more than I do....but that in no way entends to Mariano....he has always been above it all by being a Class Act to the highest degree.....and he is without a doubt the greatest Closer Ever. Here is hoping he is able to recover quick enough to get back on the mound this year so he can end his fabulous career on his own terms.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Terrible turn of events for Rivera. The guy is without question the game's greatest closer in history. Anyone who takes any joy from this is a troll. This is a freak injury which occured during what is a long time routine for Rivera. Easy to point fingers and second guess, but the bottom line is that a 42yo man badly twisted his knee during a warmup routine routine he has pursued since 1995.
    Posted by Granite2000[/QUOTE]
    Not necessarily a troll, but a horrible person.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : What Yankee fan said it wouldn't be a big deal when Rivera retired? Jess, Jete, '42 ... you guys never said that, did you? I'm for whatever makes the Yankees lose ... except this. Mo is not only the greatest closer ever, he's one of the classiest guys who ever played. I truly hope he recovers from this and comes back strong ... but always blows saves against us.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I don't track names in general let alone a yankee fan but believe me, someone said it about a week ago - something to the effect that "big deal, we have Robertson".......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrgooch. Show mrgooch's posts

It is a big blow to loose Mo for the season and possibly never coming back, but I think that Robertson and Soriano are good replacements for Mo.  Eventually Mo would have moved on so now is the time for someone to step up and prove his worth.  As a Yankees fan, loosing Mo has me worried, but im not going to dwell on it since there is no point now.  In my mind, the silver lining in all this is that the Yankees may find a diamond in the rough and have someone else step up.  Only time will tell.  Still think the Yankees will win the AL east.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : Not necessarily a troll, but a horrible person.

That's your definition of a horrible person?  Because a great player on a rival team can't help his team? 

Did anyone knock Mo's shins with a bat?  Steal from Mo?  Put a bullet in his head?  Pray he would go down?  I didn't.  The man is going to be OK he just can't help his team win.  That's a good thing.  So what?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]Wrong, anyone who doesn't take joy in this is a "TROLL" - see, I can make up Golden Rules too. Also, Wrong, he is not the greatest closer of all time.  There was a time when closers didn't come into a clean 9th, up by 2 runs and only threw 70-80 innings a year.  Gosage and Quisenbury and Hernandez all logged over 100 innings and even Eck was better.  See?  You said "without question"  I'm questioning it.  Now who's the troll?
    His body of work in the playoffs alone make him a better closer than all you just mentioned; forgetting his 600 plus saves. He ptched his entire career in the most explosive offensive division in baseball; he pitched in the steroid era; he still throws 90-92+ at age 42. Gossage and Hernandez (he of a 3.45 era who is only 5 years older than rivera and basically putched in the same era) were journeymen in their last 4 years, Quiesenberry only piyched for 11 years and Eckersly spent half his career as a starter (became a reliever in '87). You can throw out rollie fingers, trevor hoffman, sutter, smith, wagner ... anyone you want ... and you'll find very few who will agree with you  except maybe Gossage; who lobbied his way into the Hall of Fame, just  like Blyleven did.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

1 innings saves vs 2 innings saves

i don't care for how many years

there's a big difference

Rivera is a top closer of all time - easily top 3, but I can not consider him the clear best of all time

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : That's your definition of a horrible person?  Because a great player on a rival team can't help his team?  Did anyone knock Mo's shins with a bat?  Steal from Mo?  Put a bullet in his head?  Pray he would go down?  I didn't.  The man is going to be OK he just can't help his team win.  That's a good thing.  So what?
    OK, maybe "horrible" was an overstatement. That word should be reserved for the Osama bin Ladens of the world. But someone who cheers someone else's injury has zero class. How's that?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]1 innings saves vs 2 innings saves i don't care for how many years there's a big difference Rivera is a top closer of all time - easily top 3, but I can not consider him the clear best of all time

Everyone has a right to their opinions, no matter how silly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]1 innings saves vs 2 innings saves i don't care for how many years there's a big difference Rivera is a top closer of all time - easily top 3, but I can not consider him the clear best of all time
    When you get a chance give me the other two (in the top 3) ...and then we can analyze the stats. We could adhere to whatever criteria you want as long as you include playoffs, which in the annals of pressure has to to trump your argument about inheriited runners and multiple innings pitched.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'm not cheering an injury per se.  I don't want someone to be hurt.  I am glad that he can't help his team anymore though.  I'll never apologize for that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : When you get a chance give me the other two (in the top 3) ...and then we can analyze the stats. We could adhere to whatever criteria you want as long as you include playoffs, which in the annals of pressure has to to trump your argument about inheriited runners and multiple innings pitched.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

but getting to the playoffs is largely due to forces beyond your (the closers) control

so it's not a fair comparison to look at playoff stats

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : Everyone has a right to their opinions, no matter how silly.

whoa, I said he's a top 3 closer just not the clear best of all time and that's silly?

i'd say what you wrote is "silly"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : but getting to the playoffs is largely due to forces beyond your team's control so it's not a fair comparison to look at playoff stats
    OK; just give me your other two names; we could do the the analysis; maybe some other board members can help and we could forget about the "forces beyond your teams control" as though Mariano's accomplishments during the season did not contribute to them getting to the post season. Two names; .... please ... any two.

Sections
Shortcuts