Rivera tears ACL

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Re: Rivera tears ACL

In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL:
    In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : Which makes you a good person!
    Posted by LloydDobler

I think down deep everyone feels the same.  We may not like the team or even the person but I think we all can agree that watching someone writhe in pain isn't enjoyable.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : What if it was A-Rod?
    Posted by SpruceTrap

Your a sad little man. I'm putting you on ignore.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Rivera tears ACL":
    In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : I didnt say I wanted him to be successful(especially against us).....but he deserves to end his career on the mound, not on the warning track. Posted by tomnev
    Agreed. Absolute class act on and off the field. If anybody can come back from this at that age, its him.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : Your a sad little man. I'm putting you on ignore.
    Posted by 67redsox
    I came to the same conclusion, I second the motion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

That cooks the Yanks! Too bad from Mo though...maybe Youk can learn to pitch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

if Rivera prays to his Jesus hard enough,maybe he will have a miracle recovery !

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : Simmer down, Mitch. I was just needling ya ... what's with you today?
    Posted by LloydDobler

We're good.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

1 innings saves vs 2 innings saves i don't care for how many years there's a big difference Rivera is a top closer of all time - easily top 3, but I can not consider him the clear best of all time
    Posted by andrewmitch

In the top 3?

Name the other 2.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Cool
    Number 42, Age 42, Postseason Saves 42

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Gone baby gone. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Many generations ago Candy Cummings was credited with popularizing the curve ball. Walter Johnson made all believe in the good hard fastball  A couple decades back Bruce Sutter and Roger Craig both got a lot of credit for popularizing the split-finger fast ball. 

In between it was Carl Hubbell who reinvigorated Christy Mathewson's "fadeaway" and was credited with bringing us all the screwball. Hoyt Wilhelm probably did the most of any of the knuckleballers to make his pitch fashionable. No one could have done more to make the cut fastball into the weapon it is for many modern pitchers than Mariano Rivera has done...He did more to intimidate batters than any of the relievers that had intimidation on their minds. The Mad Hungarian, Dick Radatz, even Goose Gossage offered no more intimidation than this man, who has gone about his business with a quiet confidence and gentlemanly demeanor...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Forget about closers.

I would say that Mariano rates as one of the 3 top great ballplayers of this entire generation when history looks back.

Just look at the record books. Where are the other 2 closers andrewb is referring to?

Career ERA:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/earned_run_avg_career.shtml

Career Saves:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SV_career.shtml

Career walks and hits per innings pitched:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/whip_career.shtml

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Terrible loss for the Yankees and MLB.  He will be missed this season.  Hopefully, he will return next season so that he can play for another year, which will probably be his last. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Terrible loss for the Yankees and MLB.  He will be missed this season.  Hopefully, he will return next season so that he can play for another year, which will probably be his last. 
    Posted by susan250

I'd be surprised to see him come back at age 42 from a torn ACL.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Number 42, Age 42, Postseason Saves 42
    Posted by bald-predictions

4+2=6, 4+2=6, 4+2=6

HE'S THE DEVIL!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy stilleatsworms. Show MikeNagy stilleatsworms's posts

In response to "Re: Rivera tears ACL":
    In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : 4+2=6, 4+2=6, 4+2=6 666 HE'S THE DEVIL! Posted by tcal2-
    LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Rivera tears ACL : I'd be surprised to see him come back at age 42 from a torn ACL.
    Posted by ThatWasMe

You may be right.  Either way it is a huge loss for MLB.  It is always a shame when great players retire or are injured and forced to retire. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Mo is a class act. I always liked to see him blow a save, but never disliked him the way I do some of the other Yankees. What he said about not going out like this is probably right. Hard to picture a guy of his stature going out splayed on the warning track in his BP uniform and no hat. As a Sox fan, I'd have much rather seen him go out with a 6.83 ERA, while he blows save after save and gets shelled. Not like this......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Rivera vows to pitch again

I’ll have more later, but Mariano Rivera just said he will absolutely pitch again. He’s determined to not let his career end like this.

UPDATE, 5:29 p.m.: Rivera didn’t leave much wiggle room for himself.

“I am coming back,” he said. “Put it down. Write it down in big letters. I’m not going down like this. God willing and given the strength, I’m coming back.”

Rivera is not sure he can pitch again this season, but he repeated that “miracles happen.” Ultimately, he’s ready to pitch next season, and he won’t pitch for anyone but the Yankees.

“Oh yeah,” he said. “They will want the old goat.”

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Rivera tears ACL:
    Incredible. Shagging fly balls? Looks like some of our injury luck has rubbed off onto the Yankees.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Real tough break for Mo and the Yankees to deal with.  Hopefully Mo's career doesn't end this way.

Sections
Shortcuts