Robertson best Set Up Man in the AL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe-------. Show -TheBabe-------'s posts

Robertson best Set Up Man in the AL

Damon says opponents respect Yankees' Robertson

By GEORGE A. KING III

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The loosely defined plan is for Rafael Soriano to rejoin the Yankees on Aug. 1. Of course, that is subject to change considering the right-handed relievers' injury history this year.

Though manager Joe Girardi has been mum on where Soriano will pitch when he comes back, the only person in the Yankees' universe who really believes he should come back as Mariano Rivera's setup man is Soriano.

According to Johnny Damon, American League players have anointed David Robertson the top eighth-inning reliever.

"The players you talk to say he is the best setup man in the game," Damon said of his former teammate and housemate with the Yankees. "He has opened some eyes."

Scheduled to work in front of Joba Chamberlain and Soriano when the season opened, Robertson was pushed into the setup role when Chamberlain was lost for the season with Tommy John surgery and Soriano went on the disabled list with an inflamed right elbow.

Now, Robertson has pitched so well that he was an All-Star, the undependable Soriano should take a lesser role when -- or if -- he returns.

In 41 games, Robertson is 3-0 with a 1.17 ERA and has whiffed 61 in 38 1/3 innings.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Robertson best Set Up Man in the AL

Well, let's see...Bard is scoreless in his last 22 2/3rds innings.  Maybe Johnny is being a bit of a Yankee pink hat here.  There is certainly some competition for Robertson as to the best set up man in the AL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe-------. Show -TheBabe-------'s posts

In Response to Re: Robertson best Set Up Man in the AL:
    [QUOTE]Well, let's see...Bard is scoreless in his last 22 2/3rds innings.  Maybe Johnny is being a bit of a Yankee pink hat here.  There is certainly some competition for Robertson as to the best set up man in the AL.

Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

bard is good....but Robertson is better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I'll give props to Robertson.  He has come up huge for the Yankees, particularly in light of Soriano's absence.

That said, Damon's a dumbazz.  Whoever came up with the "Jeter Filter" needs to develop a "Damon Filter".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

DRob has come up big this year, he's much more efficient with his pitches now, and has no fear with men on base, that said, i really like Bard too, throws absolute gas to both sides of the plate, really good pitcher...and as J-Bay knows, went to a really great school too...Tongue outLaughing 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Robertson best Set Up Man in the AL : bard is good....but Robertson is better.
    Posted by -TheBabe-------[/QUOTE]

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe-------. Show -TheBabe-------'s posts

[QUOTE]DRob has come up big this year, he's much more efficient with his pitches now, and has no fear with men on base, that said, i really like Bard too, throws absolute gas to both sides of the plate, really good pitcher...and as J-Bay knows, went to a really great school too...  

Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

LOL...I'm a die hard Tar Heel fan as well. Even have a Tar Heel blue Yankee cap. And Roy Williams is a huge Yankee fan!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

3Daniel BardBOS47.0141246121.16131.9023.7
    4Jose ValverdeDET41.02325041252.22433.2421.6
    5Jonathan PapelbonBOS39.0202115483.24533.8621.0
    6Kyle FarnsworthTB39.0311933171.21421.8220.7
    7Scott DownsLAA34.052012170.16711.3218.3
    8David RobertsonNYY38.0300361230.17901.1717.4

Here is copied and pasted stats for top rating relieve pitchers, and Bard is ahead of Robertson!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

LOL George King.  Once he left Pedro off his ballot he became a joke forever.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe-------. Show -TheBabe-------'s posts

[QUOTE]LOL George King.  Once he left Pedro off his ballot he became a joke forever.

Posted by CTJake14[/QUOTE]

Has nothing to do with King. Read what Damon said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Robertson has the better ERA, Bard has the better WHIP.  Roberston strikes out more hitters and walks more hitters.  They're both studs that every team in baseball would like to have.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Robertson best Set Up Man in the AL : Has nothing to do with King. Read what Damon said.

They don't give out Rolaids to the best set up man in the AL midseason even if he does cause indigestion. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

BABE once again you are delusional. Robertson is good, really good....and I would even concede he may be as good as Bard, but your argument can't for him being better can't really go beyond the fact that you are a Yankee fan.  

After opening day Bard has a 1.16 ERA pretty identical to Robertsons 1.17, his WHIP is about .40 points lower at .80 compared to Robertsons 1.25

Bard has a BB/9 of 3.4/9 as opposed to 4.9/9 for Robertson, he has a HR/9 of ZERO as opposed to .6 (Robertson has given up 3)  So Bard has better control and does NOT give up the long ball. 

Batters are hitting .161 off of Bard as opposed to .179 off of Robertson.  Bard also has 3 more holds and one less blown save.

And more importantly ROBERTSON has let 26.6% of inherited runners score while Bard has only let 13%

that's HALF compared to Robertson....HALF

So while I think RObertson is really good, after his ability strike people out he really has NOTHING on Bard.  Sorry babe, you know we all love you here....but Bards better. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Bard thrown 9 more innings, using 34 less pitches on the season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Just like the Cano-Pedroia debate ... you take one, I'll take the other.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

WHIP is the deal-breaker on this one.  0.8 for Bard and 1.25 for Robertson - Robertson can't hold Bard's jock.  If they were starters that would be the difference between a #3 starter and a unanimous Cy Young winner.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]WHIP is the deal-breaker on this one.  0.8 for Bard and 1.25 for Robertson - Robertson can't hold Bard's jock.  If they were starters that would be the difference between a #3 starter and a unanimous Cy Young winner.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Who made the AS Team? Do you always have to be such a homer? I could see you saying it's debateable, but your rhetoric is laughable.

And, FWIW, Robertson is the Yankees Plan B setup man, due to Soriano going down; I'd say Roberston has stepped up; big time.

I've also heard that while Bard's FB ranges between 98-100+, it's "straight as an arrow"; otherwise he'd be Nolan Ryan.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]BABE once again you are delusional. Robertson is good, really good....and I would even concede he may be as good as Bard, but your argument can't for him being better can't really go beyond the fact that you are a Yankee fan.   After opening day Bard has a 1.16 ERA pretty identical to Robertsons 1.17, his WHIP is about .40 points lower at .80 compared to Robertsons 1.25 Bard has a BB/9 of 3.4/9 as opposed to 4.9/9 for Robertson, he has a HR/9 of ZERO as opposed to .6 (Robertson has given up 3)  So Bard has better control and does NOT give up the long ball.  Batters are hitting .161 off of Bard as opposed to .179 off of Robertson.  Bard also has 3 more holds and one less blown save. And more importantly ROBERTSON has let 26.6% of inherited runners score while Bard has only let 13% that's HALF compared to Robertson....HALF So while I think RObertson is really good, after his ability strike people out he really has NOTHING on Bard.  Sorry babe, you know we all love you here....but Bards better. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]
    It would be a stretch to say Bard is better. I think both are very good pitchers.  Robertson has proven that he can do this on the big stage. He came up very big for the Yankees in the 2009 playoffs, Bard hasn't had to perform in pressure situations on the big stage like Robertson has so on that level he is unproven. Not to say he can't do it because he certainly has the ability and the mental makeup but he hasn't been in those type of tough playoff spots yet.  As of now I'd still take Robertson over Bard but both are extremely good pitchers and potential future closers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

KI guess if Damon said it, then it has to be true.

But of course Robertson was  a All-Star and Bard was not So That seals the deal.

Aaron Crow made the All-Star team so  I guess he is at least as good as Robertson.

Like as a  Sox fan I think Robertson is a good pitcher, and I know Bard is good, so why do we have to say my guy is better than your guy?
    To TheBabe, maybe just maybe a player on another team may be as good or better than the Yankee player.  It happens you know.

Also according to the All-Star theory, Wilson of the Rangers must be better  than Sabbithia of yhe Yankee's.

Sounds like two little children arguing that my father can beat your father up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Also according to the All-Star theory, Wilson of the Rangers must be better than Sabbithia of yhe Yankee's. Sounds like two little children arguing that my father can beat your father up.     Yeah pretty much.                               
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Its kind of like the thread started about the Sox having (in someones opinion) the best catching prospect in the AL East......just as childish as it is inaccurate.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Robertson best Set Up Man in the AL : LOL...I'm a die hard Tar Heel fan as well. Even have a Tar Heel blue Yankee cap. And Roy Williams is a huge Yankee fan!

What a coincidence, Softlaw is from that area and is also a Tar Heel fan. Are you also an arbitrator and a golf pro?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Robertson best Set Up Man in the AL : Who made the AS Team? Do you always have to be such a homer? I could see you saying it's debateable, but your rhetoric is laughable. And, FWIW, Robertson is the Yankees Plan B setup man, due to Soriano going down; I'd say Roberston has stepped up; big time. I've also heard that while Bard's FB ranges between 98-100+, it's "straight as an arrow" ; otherwise he'd be Nolan Ryan.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Bard is repeating success from 2010. Isn't that like suppose to be difficult for relievers?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Robertson best Set Up Man in the AL : Who made the AS Team? Do you always have to be such a homer? I could see you saying it's debateable, but your rhetoric is laughable. And, FWIW, Robertson is the Yankees Plan B setup man, due to Soriano going down; I'd say Roberston has stepped up; big time. I've also heard that while Bard's FB ranges between 98-100+, it's "straight as an arrow" ; otherwise he'd be Nolan Ryan.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Come on, Steven, a thread started by Babe titled "[Insert Yankee Name Here] is the best [insert position here] in the AL".  This is an invitation for talking trash if there ever was one.

You may be right about Bard's fastball being straight, but since his breaking ball is the speed of most fast-balls, it doesn't really matter.  If you're expecting a 90 MPH pitch to break, how do you adjust to a 99 MPH pitch that's straight?

For the record, the best WHIP of Nolan Ryan's career was 1.006.  Bard's is 0.8!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Typical baiting topic post by the worst Troll on the forum.