Rockies near deal for Scutaro...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcmcmahon. Show dcmcmahon's posts

Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro...

Does the new guy from the Rockies have any minor league options left or will we lose him if he doesn't make the team out of spring training?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro...:
    Does the new guy from the Rockies have any minor league options left or will we lose him if he doesn't make the team out of spring training?
    Posted by dcmcmahon

He has one option left.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I've been pulling for a 1 year deal with Oswalt all offseason (or Jackson for that money), but with Crawford's injury, they may need to go get another outfielder.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I've been pulling for a 1 year deal with Oswalt all offseason (or Jackson for that money), but with Crawford's injury, they may need to go get another outfielder.
    Posted by jgallag1

You expect them to bring in another OF to cover a 1-2 week injury?  That's what our minor league depth is for.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think the Sox would be better served trading for Gavin Floyd.

I'd be concerned about the durability of Oswalt. If we had unlimited money I'd do Floyd and sign Jackson. Both these guys would get you deep into the game.
    Call me crazy but I think we have a great opportunity to consider Bard as a trade chip. He wants to be a starter; I don't think this year we have the luxury to play trial and error.
    Bard for Garza and Byrd; includes comp for Theo. Bard is not going to be our closer, we have Aceves as the set up guy. Bard will take too long to make into a starter.

If Theo can pull that off he should go after Floyd to get the rotation set.
    Lester, Garza, Buch, Beckett and Floyd

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro...":
    I think the Sox would be better served trading for Gavin Floyd. I'd be concerned about the durability of Oswalt. If we had unlimited money I'd do Floyd and sign Jackson. Both these guys would get you deep into the game. Call me crazy but I think we have a great opportunity to consider Bard as a trade chip. He wants to be a starter; I don't think this year we have the luxury to play trial and error. Bard for Garza and Byrd; includes comp for Theo. Bard is not going to be our closer, we have Aceves as the set up guy. Bard will take too long to make into a starter. If Theo can pull that off he should go after Floyd to get the rotation set. Lester, Garza, Buch, Beckett and Floyd Posted by MadMc44
    Theo works for the Cubs now (kidding, read your post again), no way Garza is traded straight up for Bard (they are asking for 3 or 4 top prospects) and in case you haven't been around, they just moved Scutaro to free up 6 million to possibly be able to make another move. Not only do they not have the prospects to get BOTH Garza and Floyd, there is no shot of being able to afford both of them. Theo "compensation" will be mid level prospect at best...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

In Response to Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro... : You expect them to bring in another OF to cover a 1-2 week injury?  That's what our minor league depth is for.
    Posted by JB-3

Call me pessimistic, but I see him mssing more time than that. These kinds of injuries linger. I hope not, as I'm a big CC supporter and want him to get into the swing of things, but an extra OF couldn't hurt. Although the FA crop is less than stellar.

as far as solidifying the rotation, MLBtraderumors is saying Oswalt isn't close to signing, which makes me think the Sox are looking at another move. I doubt they would have traded Scutaro unless another move was already forthcoming.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Reminds me of Johnny Lazor, he was something special 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro... : Call me pessimistic, but I see him mssing more time than that. These kinds of injuries linger. I hope not, as I'm a big CC supporter and want him to get into the swing of things, but an extra OF couldn't hurt. Although the FA crop is less than stellar. as far as solidifying the rotation, MLBtraderumors is saying Oswalt isn't close to signing, which makes me think the Sox are looking at another move. I doubt they would have traded Scutaro unless another move was already forthcoming.
    Posted by jgallag1

There's no one available that's worth giving money to, just to cover a short term injury when we're already pinching pennies.

I do agree that the Sox must have an agreement in place with someone, otherwise the Scutaro deal probably doesn't happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro... : You expect them to bring in another OF to cover a 1-2 week injury?  That's what our minor league depth is for.
    Posted by JB-3

No I expect the 1-2 weeks (plus?) that Crawford misses to be filled in by the guy who could/should platoon with Sweeney in RF the rest of the year...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It seems as though they have been projecting to trade Scutaro all winter. I wouldn't be surprised if Aviles and Punto get a lot of reps at SS at the beginning of the year but neither is the long term solution though. And it is mainly a salary dump. Scutaro served his purpose and ended up a good sign.

And we got decent starter depth back. Not tremendous stuff but a good GB rate and potential innings eaten. We could do worse with Mortenson as #5 if someone goes down. Tazawa might play a decent role and I would think Doubront is slotted #5 right now at least tenuously. They do have Miller and a few others. They are just praying someone emerges and Mortensen might have as good a chance as any of those guys. Mortensen now being with 4 teams is not a good sign though. We can't consider him more than starter depth but look at our other options. We need all the arms we can get and we did dump some salary.

It's not out of the question for Iglesias to jump to mlb. He did finish last year stronger than he began in AAA if I remember correctly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I think that his defense presence may not be a big loss.  But do think that his bat is going to hurt a bit for the offense. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

I think that his defense presence may not be a big loss.  But do think that his bat is going to hurt a bit for the offense. 
    Posted by GoUconn13

for sure, often he got the clutch hits we needed

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro... : for sure, often he got the clutch hits we needed
    Posted by DirtDawgSox

Scutaro's 2011 numbers: .299/.358/.423/.781
    2011 Late & Close #'s:     .294/.360/.383/.742

Scutaro's 2010 numbers: .275/.333/.388/.721
    2010's Late & Close #'s:  .284/.348/.431/.780

He did great in September, no doubt. He will be missed. But, I won't miss his defense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

You will miss him, moon...Guaranteed....

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

About 2/3 feel Iggy is not ready--I say let's find out. He may not have the bat but he certainly has the glove and the arm. He can be very productive as a #9 batter--he will move runners into scoring position for Ells or whoever bats leadoff by being an excellent major league bunter and eventually his bat will improve. The reason he will hopefully be installed as the SS will be his glove and he may save more runs with his glove than Scu would have driven in.

Let's give Ben some credit--he found a team to take Scu's contract--found $6 M, and in his hands that money will be used wisely. Clayton is a pretty good find---you can always use another pitcher.
    I would not be surprised if he picks up Jackson or Gavin Floyd--I'm sorry , Oswalt doesn't inspire confidence--it would have five years ago--too many injuries--with finite money we need someone with an 80 % chance of staying healthy and giving the Sox 200 innings---Jackson and Floyd do that for me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From FanGraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/fangraphs-audio-dave-cameron-on-scutaro-etc/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/scutaro-a-perfect-fit-for-rockies/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/scutaro-deal-gives-red-sox-odd-ss-platoon/

Sections
Shortcuts