Roger Clemens is going to be retried for perjury in April.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Roger Clemens is going to be retried for perjury in April.

By John Schlegel/MLB.com

After hearing arguments from both sides Friday in U.S. District Court, Judge Reggie Walton ruled that double jeopardy does not apply in this case, and that despite being troubled with prosecutors showing the jury evidence he had ruled inadmissible, he could not find that they intentionally did it to derail the trial, as defense had argued.

Finding no case law to allow a dismissal based on the circumstances, Walton made his ruling at the conclusion of about 90 minutes of arguments from defense attorney Mark Attanasio and government appellate attorney David Goodhand -- and an at-times emotional apology to all parties involved by Assistant U.S. Attorney Steven Durham, who claimed total responsibility for the barred evidence being shown to the jury..........

-------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, enough is enough, no matter who the player is. I've never been a fan of putting a person up as a poster boy for all the steroid use in baseball. I think this second trial is starting to seem like harassment. If MLB is not going to pursue anyone for steroid use, and has no plans on testing for HGH, or other performance enhancing drugs, then you can't have a scapegoat to put all the blame on. His reputation has already been destroyed, and there are so many other players walking around that have done the same thing. Something's not right here, and they won't clear up the mess by convicting one player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April.

what a waste of tax payers money..on a long time achiever at roiding it...instead, he should be tried for felony assault with a dangerous weapon of one Mike Piazza

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April.:
    [QUOTE]what a waste of tax payers money..on a long time achiever at roiding it...instead, he should be tried for felony assault with a dangerous weapon of one Mike Piazza
    Posted by Goofywocky[/QUOTE]

Well, Yankee fan (and btw that comment has nothing to do with your post here), I think maybe that could be the reason.

But I'm really not into having the MLB cleanse themselves of letting steroid use go on so long by putting one player up on trial. It doesn't obsolve them of anything IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Actually I am the biggest spankee hater west of the mississippi, but the Bottle rocket clemens was roiding way, way back.....when he walked out of camp and lou gorman commented, "the sun will rise, the sun will set, and I'll have lunch"....I would definitely throw the GM's (who covered  and did the roiders bidding) out of baseball.  That includes bud selig and especially buck showalter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Barry Obama needs to be tried for perjury. Clemens needs to be tried for robbery of NY Yankees GM Brian Cashedman. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Barry Obama needs to be tried for perjury. Clemens needs to be tried for robbery of NY Yankees GM Brian Cashedman. 
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]  RIGHT ON SOFTY !!!!  HEY, ROGERS FAVORITE COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG......  "CHEATING BARRRRRSTAD"  !!!!Cool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sure , try him again. Spend more of our money. Also , compensate him for his legal fees in the first fiasco of a trial. No problem. Government has plenty of money to spend on this nonsense. Might have to buy some more toner for Bernanke's printer. Bernanke: Now there is someone who should be prosecuted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from comet2. Show comet2's posts

I Know the Yanks have more championships but they had Clemens on Roids,  A-Rod on Roids, Pettite on Roids, Justice, etc.  Sox had maybe Papi and the girl that played left field.  Here's an idea, lets get all the guys who will never make the HOF and start a new HOF led by Pete Rose who never did anything to cheat while playing only after it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

See, this isn't about baseball and/or steroids.  It's about telling lies to Congress when one is under oath!  Whether or you believe members of Congress lie to us every day (and I DO believe that) the members of Congress are offended that Roger lied to THEM. 

If they don't prosecute him again, aren't they saying that it's ok for any Tom, Dick, or Harry to sit in front of them and say anything they want to say with no fear of repurcussions?  They can't have that.  WE can't have that.  The judicial system can't have that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]See, this isn't about baseball and/or steroids.  It's about telling lies to Congress when one is under oath!  Whether or you believe members of Congress lie to us every day (and I DO believe that) the members of Congress are offended that Roger lied to THEM.  If they don't prosecute him again, aren't they saying that it's ok for any Tom, Dick, or Harry to sit in front of them and say anything they want to say with no fear of repurcussions?  They can't have that.  WE can't have that.  The judicial system can't have that.
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

LOL, S5. I completely agree. But they are also creating a circus, yet again, about Roger Clemmens and steroids, like it somehow represents a trial about all steroids. IMHO, I don't think they had enough evidence and so the trial didn't work out, and now they are just keeping it going, again without enough evidence. Will they have a third trial when this one doesn't work out since life goes on in baseball all that time and they still don't have any rules set in place?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]See, this isn't about baseball and/or steroids.  It's about telling lies to Congress when one is under oath!  Whether or you believe members of Congress lie to us every day (and I DO believe that) the members of Congress are offended that Roger lied to THEM.  If they don't prosecute him again, aren't they saying that it's ok for any Tom, Dick, or Harry to sit in front of them and say anything they want to say with no fear of repurcussions?  They can't have that.  WE can't have that.  The judicial system can't have that.
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]
    Could always claim you don't understand English , ala Sosa.  Or say you are not going to talk about the past , ala McGuire.  What gives Congress the right to put U.S. citizens under oath and ask them if they used steroids?  Because Clemens is personna non grata in RSN , it is okay to single him out?  The use of steroids is widespread in sports , show business and in many Police Departments.   As are many other illegal drugs.  This nation is in serious trouble , but we can spend taxpayer money prosecuting a ballplayer for " lying to Congress."  While drug dealers operate openly on street corners of our cities. What a travesty.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April. : Could always claim you don't understand English , ala Sosa.  Or say you are not going to talk about the past , ala McGuire.  What gives Congress the right to put U.S. citizens under oath and ask them if they used steroids?  Because Clemens is personna non grata in RSN , it is okay to single him out?  The use of steroids is widespread in sports , show business and in many Police Departments.   As are many other illegal drugs.  This nation is in serious trouble , but we can spend taxpayer money prosecuting a ballplayer for " lying to Congress."  While drug dealers operate openly on street corners of our cities. What a travesty.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

dgalehouse, the whole US citizen under oath to ask them if they used steroids, just floored me. That's what this whole trial is about. How did they get away with doing that?

I also believe that they are using a scapegoat, someone who few people would have sympathy for. It just seems so.......contrived -- for lack of a better word.

Btw, I haven't seen many of your posts on the board. My loss, and probably the board's as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April. : dgalehouse, the whole US citizen under oath to ask them if they used steroids, just floored me. That's what this whole trial is about. How did they get away with doing that? I also believe that they are using a scapegoat, someone who few people would have sympathy for. It just seems so.......contrived -- for lack of a better word. Btw, I haven't seen many of your posts on the board. My loss, and probably the board's as well.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE} Kim, DGH is one of the great game threaders...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April. : dgalehouse, the whole US citizen under oath to ask them if they used steroids, just floored me. That's what this whole trial is about. How did they get away with doing that? I also believe that they are using a scapegoat, someone who few people would have sympathy for. It just seems so.......contrived -- for lack of a better word. Btw, I haven't seen many of your posts on the board. My loss, and probably the board's as well.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
    Kim , thank you. I usually just post on the game threads.   This kind of selective prosecution bothers me.  There is no end to the hypocrisy of our so called justice system or to the many ways our government wastes taxpayers money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April. : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April. : dgalehouse, the whole US citizen under oath to ask them if they used steroids, just floored me. That's what this whole trial is about. How did they get away with doing that? I also believe that they are using a scapegoat, someone who few people would have sympathy for. It just seems so.......contrived -- for lack of a better word. Btw, I haven't seen many of your posts on the board. My loss, and probably the board's as well. Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE} kim, DGH is one of the great game threaders...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]
    Thank you, Jete. And likewise.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April. : Kim , thank you. I usually just post on the game threads.   This kind of selective prosecution bothers me.  There is no end to the hypocrisy of our so called justice system or to the many ways our government wastes taxpayers money.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I'm right with you on that. I don't like singling people out. Especially, when it seems like IMO there's a different agenda.

Too bad you only post on the game threads. I rarely watch the games live. I'm not usually available, and even when I am, I prefer to watch them when I can fast forward through commericals (and nonsense). lol 

Hope you stop by once in a while. I really like your take on things. You seem like, as they say, a straight shooter. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April. : I'm right with you on that. I don't like singling people out. Especially, when it seems like IMO there's a different agenda. Too bad you only post on the game threads. I rarely watch the games live. I'm not usually available, and even when I am, I prefer to watch them when I can fast forward through commericals (and nonsense). lol  Hope you stop by once in a while. I really like your take on things. You seem like, as they say, a straight shooter. :)
    Thanks again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Please stop writing "Clemmens".  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April. : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April. : dgalehouse, the whole US citizen under oath to ask them if they used steroids, just floored me. That's what this whole trial is about. How did they get away with doing that? I also believe that they are using a scapegoat, someone who few people would have sympathy for. It just seems so.......contrived -- for lack of a better word. Btw, I haven't seen many of your posts on the board. My loss, and probably the board's as well. Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE} Kim, DGH is one of the great game threaders...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

I don't post on the game threads because I don't watch the game live. But he/she (sorry I didn't ask) seems like a person who gives their opinion, and not necessarily what would be the popular opinion. I totally respect that, even if I were to disagree with it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Please stop writing "Clemmens".  
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

What is it? "Clemens"? Sorry I put an extra "m" in there. Didn't mean to ruin your day. My bad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5KRsVLpppU8/ThBvBvkpDoI/AAAAAAAAC2w/uH8rJBigkck/s1600/Roger-Clemens.jpg&imgrefurl=http://badlawyernyc.blogspot.com/2011/07/roger-clemens-perjurerlance-armstrong.html&h=410&w=300&sz=42&tbnid=m1y7xizc8mb_IM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=66&prev=/search%3Fq%3Droger%2Bclemens%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=roger+clemens&docid=9rm-ETZl8oONTM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1ChlToWmIaXisQLryaWbCg&ved=0CEIQ9QEwAw" class="rg_hl"> 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roger Clemmens is going to be retried for perjury in April. : LOL, S5. I completely agree. But they are also creating a circus, yet again, about Roger Clemmens and steroids, like it somehow represents a trial about all steroids. IMHO, I don't think they had enough evidence and so the trial didn't work out, and now they are just keeping it going, again without enough evidence. Will they have a third trial when this one doesn't work out since life goes on in baseball all that time and they still don't have any rules set in place?

Kim, way to change your post, after saying previously how Manny had never been caught, to which I wrote that yes he did in 2003, 2009 and again in Spring of 2011.  I also said that you could look it up, which I knew you would not, just edit and erase. Lol...Pathetic.  If you are going to go on a Baseball website and comment or post stuff at least take the time to learn about of which you write.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

You didn't "ruin my day".  Just take the time to pretend you know what you're talking about.  Like if you were talking about how you didn't like Obamma I probably would think you didn't know what you were talking about.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Roger Clemens is going to be retried for perjury in April.:
    [QUOTE]You didn't "ruin my day".  Just take the time to pretend you know what you're talking about.  Like if you were talking about how you didn't like Obamma I probably would think you didn't know what you were talking about.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

See, I'm not really talking about Clemens per se, I'm talking about using any one person to prosecute as the face of steroids. I also agree with S5 about him lying to Congress, but as dgale said, how did they legally question him about steroid use in the first place? It seems they were looking for a scapegoat.

And no need to put politics in threads. If you really want to know what I don't know about, it's politics for sure.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE] how did they legally question him about steroid use in the first place? It seems they were looking for a scapegoat. Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

While this admittedly doesn't answer *The Bigger Question, Clemens didn't voluntarilly testify.  He was subpoenaed to testify before Congress when  Congress was investigating McNamee's involvement in PED's in baseball.  McNamee had earlier named Clemens as one of his "customers" (that's my word, not his) while testifying under oath to the same Congressional Committee.  Clemens was subpoenaed so his testimony would either refute or verify McNamee's claims.

If Clemens lied under oath he is guilty of Obstructing a Congressional Investigation and can be sentenced to ~2 years in jail.   
    (Pssst.  I think he did!  :-)  ) 

*The Bigger Question is why Congress is involved in PED's in MLB at all, and I don't have an answer to that one.  All I know is that I watched the original hearing, the one with Sosa, Palmero, Schilling, etc., on TV and it was great theater!

Sections
Shortcuts