Rosenthal: Marlins are sellers. Interested in Hanley Ramirez? Josh Johnson?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Rosenthal: Marlins are sellers. Interested in Hanley Ramirez? Josh Johnson?

Why not go after both Johnson and Hanley.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Because both have been in decline

I would however, gladly take either off their hands if the Marlins want Crawford

Seems like a golden opportunity for Ben C......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If Crawford goes and Boston get Johnson/Hanley, I would do it.  Cuz right now the Boston line up is a bit a mess.  Once Papi come back, cant put Pedy at the #3 spot.  So therefore, one got to move down in the line up while other stay at the #2 spot.  That is why I think Crawford need to go cuz he will not be happy at the 7th to 9th spot again.  I am sure that Miami would love to have him at the #2 spot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

When Papi is back, I would leave Pedy 3rd, Ortiz hits 4th and Gonzalez 5th.  You potentially get 2 blazers plus a decent base runner on ahead of Ortiz and Gonzo and you give Ortiz protection; he'll see more pitches.

And no on Ramirez.  He's had issues in Florida, I don't even want to think what this fanbase and media would do to him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Rosenthal: Marlins are sellers. Interested in Hanley Ramirez? Josh Johnson?:
    When Papi is back, I would leave Pedy 3rd, Ortiz hits 4th and Gonzalez 5th.  You potentially get 2 blazers plus a decent base runner on ahead of Ortiz and Gonzo and you give Ortiz protection; he'll see more pitches. And no on Ramirez.  He's had issues in Florida, I don't even want to think what this fanbase and media would do to him.
    Posted by illinoisredsox

Boston have tried that with Pedy at the #3 spot, and they went 1-4.  It is not working.  Seriously, put Pedy or Crawford at the #2 spot and whoever the odd man out will move down to like #6 spot to #9 spot!!

Agonz should be back at the #3 spot with that power hitting he have been using in the past two weeks.  Cuz if Pedy make the third out as a #3 spot, Agonz will be leading off in the second innings.  Not good start for the line up!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I need four doctors to individually tell me that Josh Johnson's injury woes are behind him before I pursue JJ aggressively.

Johnson has a ton of talent, but he makes Jed Lowrie look like Cal Ripken from a staying healthy standpoint.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Rosenthal: Marlins are sellers. Interested in Hanley Ramirez? Josh Johnson?:
    In Response to Re: Rosenthal: Marlins are sellers. Interested in Hanley Ramirez? Josh Johnson? : Boston have tried that with Pedy at the #3 spot, and they went 1-4.  It is not working.  Seriously, put Pedy or Crawford at the #2 spot and whoever the odd man out will move down to like #6 spot to #9 spot!! Agonz should be back at the #3 spot with that power hitting he have been using in the past two weeks.  Cuz if Pedy make the third out as a #3 spot, Agonz will be leading off in the second innings.  Not good start for the line up!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

they went 1-4 because of other factors

terrible pitching and no Ortiz.........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

we need to jettison big contracts first and foremost...who we get is secondary...the health of this franchise is dependent on getting rid of the Three headed pitching monstor (Lester not so much) and Crawford....

then we can rebuild

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I need four doctors to individually tell me that Josh Johnson's injury woes are behind him before I pursue JJ aggressively. Johnson has a ton of talent, but he makes Jed Lowrie look like Cal Ripken from a staying healthy standpoint.
    Posted by Drewski5

Hopefully not 4 Sox doctors...they don't have the best track record.

Come to think of it - I find it strange that the Sox/Celts have had so many issues with their medical staff given that Boston is generally known as a premier medical research/practice city in the country and even the world.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

As I mentioned on another thread, trading Crawford for Ramirez saves money by the end the Ramirez contract and give better performance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

we need to jettison big contracts first and foremost...who we get is secondary...the health of this franchise is dependent on getting rid of the Three headed pitching monstor (Lester not so much) and Crawford.... then we can rebuild
    Posted by georom4

^^^^THIS IS EXACTLY RIGHT. get out from under these albatross contracts asap

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from airbus01. Show airbus01's posts

This season is pretty much over. Sell for next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Hanley Ramirez is not a good shortstop. The only thing we could do with him would be to move him to left. Iglesias should be our shortstop.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Johnson still can pitch like an eilte starter and he will come with stiff price tag since he's under team control til '13.  Marlins want our CC badly so a package including Carl Crawford, Iggy, two SP would get the deal done in heartbeat IMO.  But there's no way Barnes will be included in that trade.  Marlins might take the risk on Ranaudo. 

However, A's just have jumped in and they have pieces that can get the deal done for Han Ram.  Not sure If Sox can pull this off.  I would welcome JJ with open arms. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Do not get your hopes high this trade deadline. This is like the off season when we were in on a lot and did very little. Young Ben will sell this off as we tried but thebasking price was high. He is startingbto remind me of Dan Duquette prior to the 2001 season whennhe got embarrasesd into signing Manny Ramire because of how poorly they handled the best available pitcher Mike Mussina that off season. The cannot admit they are out of it or the Boston Press would have a field day. Unfortunately it is over and management knows it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Marlins may be sellers/traders, but they are looking to dump salary, not take it on.  Forget the Ramirez deal for Crawford.  The Sox have jumped into long term contracts without thinking them through too many times already.  Why trade one headache for another?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

we need to jettison big contracts first and foremost...who we get is secondary...the health of this franchise is dependent on getting rid of the Three headed pitching monstor (Lester not so much) and Crawford.... then we can rebuild
    Posted by georom4

I agree but I still might give more time to Crawford.  Epstein has killed the sox with the contracts he gave Crawford and others.  A team would have to be crazy to take Crawfords contract off the RS Hands and at the very least I don't think CC is disruptive to the team.  

OTOH, Beckett needs to go.  He can take Dice-K and Lackey with him.  These contracts need to be at least partially eaten for the longer term betterment of the team.   I read the other day that Dice-K was almost ready for re-hab assignment again and I thought - Oh S-----t, here we go again.   He comes back and there is another 3 to 4 guaranteed losses as he fails to get out of the second inning.  

Lackey?  Fugetaboutit.  His record is at about a 57% Win Rate without the TJ Surgery.   I guess 83 Million Dollars doesn't go as far as it used to.  

Thanks for nothing Theo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yes I said many times job one is to the team payroll flexibility

Crawford 20
    Beckett 17
    Lester 12

that's 50 million right there - that's nearly the entire payroll for Tampa!

Also,

Dice K and Youk will be off the books this year - that's nearly another 25 mil

We are up to 75 million right now.....

If Ortiz won't resign, trade him and save another 15 million

that's 90 million in payroll flexibility

let's assume we need to pay for half of Beckett and half of Craw (or take on similar contracts) that's still 70 million......and let's say our budget is reduced by 10....we will have 60 million to play w/ next year

So.......Trade Beckett, Lester, and Crawford - Yes

Offer a Ortiz a deal and if he refuses work out a trade (ASAP) (ditto for Ross)

Not only would you be saving $ but you'd be getting some nice prospects in return.........

Then......you can enter the Cole Hammels sweepstakes

Hammels, Buck, Doubrant at the front of the rotation with one of your kids and Lackey.......can't be any worse than this year......should be much better.....

Get to work Ben!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If the Marlins are sellers then why do they want Crawford?  More years and more money owed than both Hanley and JJ I think.  Just wondering. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Who cares why the Marlins might want Crawford?  BUT, if they want him give him to them.

Take back Ramirez and Bell, or Ramirez and Johnson.  Even take back all three of these guys and the Sox will have better financial flexibility over the next five years.

Bell may or may not help in the bullpen, Johnson may or may not help in the rotation, but Ramirez would help in the lineup.

Money saved can be used for other players.   Crawford's performance, injury potential and contract all combine to make him a giant albatross.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

b/c they want to dump Hanley and think they could build a team around CC - for whatever reason I don't know but do it before they wake up!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

gooood thread

Sections
Shortcuts