Rosenthal -Sox sign Steven Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Rosenthal -Sox sign Steven Drew

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drew will not be an improvement over Brock Holt in my estimation and the team will have more success with him off the field than on.

[/QUOTE]

I am laughing right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Drew will not be an improvement over Brock Holt in my estimation and the team will have more success with him off the field than on.

[/QUOTE]

I am laughing right now.

[/QUOTE]

Brock Holt will be a back up forever in my opinion.  People have raved about this guy since we got him but take away his little offensive bursts and you have a platoon guy period.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Anyone who thinks X Bogarts can field the SS position ought to really re-watch tonight's game.

He will have as many E's by the time Drew comes on board as Drew did all season long.

Even Renteria wasn't quite this bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am laughing right now.

[/QUOTE]

Brock Holt will be a back up forever in my opinion.  People have raved about this guy since we got him but take away his little offensive bursts and you have a platoon guy period.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think he won't have value for a team he is just not a top of 1/3 of the league SS like Drew. Good bench guys can be hard to fine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

The sox have to put drew on waivers for 48 hours before they can send him to the minors.  If someone claims him they can pull him back but he has to then play all his games at fenway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The sox have to put drew on waivers for 48 hours before they can send him to the minors.  If someone claims him they can pull him back but he has to then play all his games at fenway.

[/QUOTE]

isn't it up to the player to accept a minor league assignment?  or can the DL him?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i'M oK WITH THIS - I kind of have given up on WMB (and Im not proud or happy to say that)

As always - 100% correct!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bogaerts has a .748 OPS, 3rd among AL shortstops. Defense was improving, too. Be interesting to see how this affects him.[/QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

His defense is not getting better.[/QUOTE]

This is not true. [/QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

If you mean over this season, I see absolutely no evidence of improvement.[/QUOTE]

I am not going to debate this because we are going to be arguing over what our eyes tell us and I have stated in the past you are bias about this.

1) I watch every play of every game- every year, sometimes 2-3 times.

2) I easily admit when I am wrong, in fact, the past two years I admitted I was wrong about Drew's defense at SS and I was wrong about Aviles' defense at SS. I had argued for Iggy for years. I was certainly "biased" towards him, but I still freely admitted those two guys were much better fielders than I gave them credit for. I don't and haven't seen any improvement from Bogey, in fact, he has looked worse than I expected this year.

3) Maybe since the few botched plays earlier in the year- one that allowed a winning run to score- he might be improving slightly, but IMO, not enough to be a factor.

I hate it when people use one game sample sizes to make a point, but I just couldn't resist. I just got finished watching tonight's game. 2 errors tonight. Ughh -- Lee!

(Make me wonder, if he had the Drew signing distracting him tonight.)

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

isn't it up to the player to accept a minor league assignment?  or can the DL him?

[/QUOTE]

Getting different stories from different beat writers on twitter.  I think they still have to put him on waivers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Just an amazingly stupid decision by a floundering organization content to pisss away this season. They should be thoroughly ashamed...but they're not. To give Drew $10 million for 2/3 of a season, an unsigned and marginally talented player NOBODY else wanted, is just a feeble attempt to placate a restless fan base. They're ruining Bradley psychologically by keeping him in the bigs when he should have seasoned another year at AAA, Middlebrooks in a complete bust (nobody's fault-but can't have 3 rooks fail at same time!), and now they'll push Xander out of his natural position for some chump. WE NEED A RIGHT HANDED SLUGGING OUTFIELDER. A REAL hitter!!! Stop rearranging deck chairs on the Titanicsox for freaking sake!!!

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

exactly, drew is not going to turn this team around. he may help defensively and can’t really hit much worse than middlebrooks did, but that alone will not turn this team around. we need some major changes. 

#1 - trade for a slugging LF who can hit in the 3 spot. This pushes ortiz and napoli down a spot to where they should be in the line up. We need a kemp or a stanton to slot in the 3 spot who will hit consistently and drive in runs. Napoli has shown time and time again that he is not that kind of hitter. Ortiz has not been great with risp this year either. Time to go BIG

#2 - Take doubront out the rotation and DL him or send him down. He is way to inconsistent and has been ineffective for the most part. We have options, time to use them. Call up barnes or webster. we can’t just keep all these guys down there forever. Webster and ranuado are both 24, workman 25, time to give these guys a shot. 

#3 - Mujica needs to be placed on the DL to give him time figure out whats going wrong, because he has been downright awful this year. Call up workman and give him a shot. He did really well in the pen last year, especially in the playoffs. We can’t keep sending mujica out there and have him give up runs each and every time. If I’m the sox, I would be checking the trade market for a late inning reliever as well. 

If we want to have a shot at making the playoffs, let alone move back to a winning record, we need to act fast. The way this team has played to date, if we don’t make a major move we could be out of it by the time we reach the trade deadline. Time is a luxury we do not have. Signing drew shows that the FO wants to win, but if they really want to win they need to go big. we have the farm system to make it happen. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

one thing i forgot to add, set the line up and keep it the same way day in day out. Wayyyyy too much shuffling and constant changes. Something like:

Victorino/Sizemore

Pedroia

Kemp/Stanton (top 2 trade targets)

ortiz

napoli

Pierzynski

Bogaerts

drew

bradley jr

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

....NOBODY else wanted [Drew] ....

Nobody wanted to pay $14M+ a year and lose a draft choice. That does not mean nobody else wanted him.

I do agree, the cost was too high for a marginally impact player.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    Bogaerts was careful picking his words. But fair to say he's disappointed and not sure what to believe about the future.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Asked Bogaerts if he believed the #RedSox saying they see him as a SS. “We’ll see. I'll come in here day by day and see where I’m playing."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    Bogaerts said he didn’t know about Drew’s signing until he arrived at the park.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Bogaerts: "There was a lot going on today. Don’t want to make no excuses but it definitely was a tough day.” #redsox

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Bogaerts talked about how much better he has been playing defensively then sighed. “It is what it is,” he said. #redsox

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Xander's perceived maturity, poise, or what have you is a large part of what's made him such an exciting young player to follow....how he deals with this will say a lot about him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

3 hits tonight and an OBP now over .380 is a good step forward.

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts