Ross 3/25 Victorino 3/38!?!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Ross 3/25 Victorino 3/38!?!?

Cody Ross reportedly wanted 3 years for 25 million, which was NO loss of a draft pick. Victorino wanted and got 3 years for 38 million and we lose another pick, this move makes NO sense.

I really didn't like the Napoli deal and I hate this one, I'm glad they're only 3 year deals but this is awful, we now have 2 leadoff hitters, and one of them can't hit.

"In 2012, Ross was one of the few bright spots for the Red Sox. He was seeking a deal worth roughly $25 million over three years."- http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121204&content_id=40522480&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Awful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Ross 3/25 Victorino 3/38!?!?

Incomprehensible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmo3of4. Show dmo3of4's posts

no draft pick for Victorino- not given a qualifying offer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, boston didnt lose a draft pick when they signed shane.

Shane is a whole alot better defender at RF than Ross.  That was why Shane got three years. Boston want to pay Ross just for two years, but Ross rather to have three years.   Well, do not forget that Ben C have been in touch with all agents, and guess their asking price are too high.  Boston isnt going to wait in the last minutes and find that these guys finally got a better offer.  

Now Ben can decide on which starting pitcher can come to Boston.  Meaning he will now either sign one or make a trade.  So Ben will have plently of time to keep working his last part!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Has Softy thrown himself off the Tobin yet? Either that or he is still looking for WMD in Iraq and buck fifty gas in the US....

I think his projected numbers for free agents was just a tad bit off...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

CF insurance for when Jacoby is gone.  Plays 2 positions, short deal.

love it? No..  It's OK.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedSoxFan2OO4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cody Ross reportedly wanted 3 years for 25 million, which was NO loss of a draft pick. Victorino wanted and got 3 years for 38 million and we lose another pick, this move makes NO sense.

I really didn't like the Napoli deal and I hate this one, I'm glad they're only 3 year deals but this is awful, we now have 2 leadoff hitters, and one of them can't hit.

"In 2012, Ross was one of the few bright spots for the Red Sox. He was seeking a deal worth roughly $25 million over three years."- http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121204&content_id=40522480&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Awful.

[/QUOTE]

we lost another pick? remind me again how we lost the first one??? let alone how we lost another.. get your facts straight before you start crying on the intertubes

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

No pick loss you Debbie downers!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I didn't know Ross played good D in center and could get you 40 steals.

Victoriono is not a bad signing.

Not sure if I would take Gomes over ross though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Gomes is gonna put up Ross type numbers this yr

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Shane can play center and steal bases.....  Elles might be moved this winter now.... I take Shane over Ross anyday.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

Someone doesn't know the new FA and draft pick rules

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxfan5000. Show bosoxfan5000's posts

We are still talking to ross, cherington said doors still open and we need an outfielder look it up on weei or csnne if u think im lying or even nesn says it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We havent lost one draft pick yet, let alone 2. Guess you should read the rules one more time there champ.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bend over, Cherry, Shane and his agent are breaking it off.

[/QUOTE]

You just dont get it do you.

The FA OF market was set by BJ Upton getting a ridiculous 15M per for 5 years. The Sox had to overpay a little to only give a 3 year deal. Victorino was already offered 4/44 by the tribe. they paid 2M per more to get one less year.

Now they have a solid defender, switch hitter and can trade Ells without worrrying about who can play CF.

But then again, Im talking to the guy who wanted to platoon Gomez and Loney at 1b and expected to win with that combo...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

everybody whose complaining about the victorino signing are the same ones clammoring for Hamilton.  Ross is not as good as Victorino and yes, the Sox aren't going full tilt but instead building a solid team that won't be flashy.  And after seeing how bad their full tilt experience went over the past few seasons, I'm a little more interested in seeing how a solid team would work.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I like Victorino but not at that level of cash. The only way I like this deal is if they go on to trade Lester and Ellsbury for a complete rebuild. I find it interesting that they haven't signed a pitcher yet. I suspect they will go big for a Sanchez or another stud but if not I would just go ahead and retool for some more minor league studs. In 2 years we could really use some guys like Myers in the fold to supplement Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Bradley, Barnes...etc. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Victorino is a better player, just look at career numbers. Victorino plays Gold Glove defense and steals bases as well. Look I like what Ross did for us last year as much as anyone, but if you look at career numbers Victorino is the better player.Batted mostly from lead off spot so rbi's / Hr's will naturally be less, but Victorino avg's 30 SB per season, Ross has 30 for career. Plus I have always liked Victorino in clutch spots, seemed to always get a big hit in big games. Always thought he was tougher out than R.Howard in big spot, next to Utley was toughest out in big spot on Phillies.

player           avg    hr      rbi     obp       ops    sb

Cody Ross     262    22      83     324      783    5

Shane V        275    14      62     341      770    30

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

The Sox so far have signed David Ross, Jonny Gomes, Mike Napoli and Shane Victorino for a total of $94 mil. Crawful signed for 7/$142 mil. BC is not done, SP should be addressed. The Sox have money, a loaded farm system now ranked #9 by Baseball America and Salty/Ellsbury for trade(s). The team is shaping up and should contend in 2013. BC has so far done a good job of rebuilding a moribund team.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to RedSoxFan2OO4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Awful.

[/QUOTE]

You can't compare Ross to Victorino. Victorino is a gold glove outfielder, steals bases and hit's from both sides of the plate.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

He got overpaid no doubt.  But I think it's good move by Cherington.  Obviously chances are high on Ells getting moved for a starting pitcher this winter and Vic takes over center eventually.  We need a RF then.  But I don't think Ben will sign Ross for 3 yrs.  Ross comes back to Boston if he's willing to sign for 2 yrs.  We have Gomes for 2 yrs already and Ben doesn't need Ross for 3 yrs now.  I'm curious what's going to happen with Ellsbury trade.  Maybe with the thin catcher market, one of our catchers will be packaged for a soild starter.  Phillies need CF and a catcher (Carlos Ruiz LOL) so we might want to kick the tires on Cliff Lee.  Of course Phillies have to eat significant portion of his contract.    

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

.250 hitter who never stole 40 bases - and never will/

Ellsbury makes a lot more sense in CF than victorino.  But then again, Ellsbury has made more sense in CF for years now and the sox have never admitted that.

Is Mike Cameron available - because when he signed we were promised 25 - 30 HRs?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

.250 hitter who never stole 40 bases - and never will/

Ellsbury makes a lot more sense in CF than victorino.  But then again, Ellsbury has made more sense in CF for years now and the sox have never admitted that.

Is Mike Cameron available - because when he signed we were promised 25 - 30 HRs?

[/QUOTE]

He had 39 steals last year.  So if I said 39 steals you wouldn't have had an issue but because I said 40 you had issue with it. Great talking baseball with you as always.

Anyway, the point was Victorino over Ross.  The Red Sox overpaid for Victorino. No doubt.  There is also no doubt in my mind he is much more valuable to a team than Ross.

Sections
Shortcuts