Ross is having a career year, will the Sox give him career year money?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Ross is having a career year, will the Sox give him career year money?

I think our fickle fanbase dumps on a player who starts out slow as a Sox, but the opposite can happen when a player starts out hot (Ross).  Only real stars are consistent, and a one year judgement needs context.  Ross has not been this good before!

If paid and played as a platoon LF  bringing him back is a no-brainer.  I worry that I keep reading he will be back on a two to three year deal (he turns 32 in Dec).   He started off poorly in the field and has been again lately, I think RF is too much at Fenway for him.  

wRC+ 2008 - ..2012 :   106   105   97   102   125

Yes he was great a home and against LHP (30%) but:

Road OPS 2010 -  2012    .657  .726    .685

He killed LHP this year but he didn't last year  2010 - 2012:  .698   1.11

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Ross is having a career year, will the Sox give him career year money?

I sure hope they don't go opening up the vault for every journeyman outfileder that has a good year.

I thought all these salary dumping trades ( Youkilis, Shoppach, Beckett, Crawford, Gonzalez, Punto) signaled that older , high priced guys are out, younger low salaried players are in.

If they go throwing money around again, they are going to wind up in the same position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont worry about a reasonable 2yr 12-14mm deal for Ross...We got some kids that are about a year away, if not sooner so 2yrs would be the max. Bradley and Brentz will be knocking on the door soon...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

No......if he won't sign on cheap...let him go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

He will walk, why would he want to resign with a team that is in total rebuid transission at this stage of his career ? That being said, I really liked the aquisition of Ross.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

He probably re signs but I wouldn't offer him more than a $12 mil 2 year deal. That's a huge deal for him. He has a Fenway swing but other teams are probably not going to get the same offensive performance out of him. And defense is clearly not his strength. He is really a left fielder and ideally we can find a big bopper in LF going forward. Not more that 2 years and not for a lot of cash but a decent pick up value this year for sure. We probably keep him next year.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

3 yrs / 21 million.  We dont need to go cheap at EVERY position.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I doubt his performance this year gets him much of a raise on the open market.  Sox should re-sign him for 2-3 years, 7 or 8 per.  He is the kind of guy the club needs to retain, especially in this void.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ross is having a career year, will the Sox give him career year money?:

He will walk, why would he want to resign with a team that is in total rebuid transission at this stage of his career ? That being said, I really liked the aquisition of Ross.

Total rebuild? ummmm...ok..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Ross has made it clear that he wants to stay in Boston,  that he enjoys playing for the Red Sox---and when we consider those who wanted out and made complaints about playing in Beantown, this is a refreshing change of pace.  Besides, he has produced for us.  Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not talking about a five year $90 million contract, but two years and an team option seem fair to me at around $ million a year.  We still don't know how much more improvement we are going to get from Jackie Bradley, Brian Brentz, Colbin Vitek or any of those youngsters we're so high on.  Ross takes care of himself and I would like to see him back, just as long as we also go out and get a couple of good starters like maybe Peavy and Shields if their respective teams don't pick p their options.

One more thing.  Let's cease and desist about the wonders of having James Loney on the team.  I live in the Los Angeles area and this guy is a lemon who will show himself for that very very soon.  He has no power, no longer hits for a good average and is a miserable fit for Boston.  He has no fire, no real drive and should be playing somewhere like Oakland or Seattle.  Keep  this guy in mind----Adam LaRoche.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Ross is a perfect 'bridge" player: serviceable D ,pop out 20 over the monster.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Ross is no fool.  He and his agent have looked at his stats at Fenway and realize that he will likely never have better stats in any other park.  So, playing 81 games a year in Fenway is much to his advantage.

He will further benefit in Fenway once he gets much more permantly assigned to left field where he will have less ground to cover, etc.  A couple of more good years at Fenway might mean another decent contract for him before he has to accept true journeyman type money or even the minimun for veterans in order to stay in the game.

Other teams also certainly will be aware of his stats outside of Fenway and will not likely give him as much as Boston may due to his Fenway stats.

I say three years at $15M or two years at $12 would be the highest I would go if I were the Red Sox because I doubt other teams would do better.

With all that, Ross has been a nice addition this year.  He plays hard, has been pretty durable, stays out of trouble and controversy and has had a very nice statistical season so far.  He could finish at 25 HRs and 85 RBIs and maybe even have a final batting average of .280.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Of course Ross will want to re-sign with Boston. Fenway is his "moneymaker".

Many see him as nearly a straight platoon player because of his large differential, however, the differential is mostly as a result of his fantastic numbers vs LHPs and not that he has terrible numbers vs RHPs.

Here are his career splits pro-rated to 650 PAs:

vs LHPs  .288  42  125  (.939 OPS)
    vs RHPs  .254  18    78  (.730 OPS)

His numbers vs RHPs are not terrible at all, in fact they are alone, better than what our LF has given us the last 2 years.
    2011: .258  15  71  (.723)
    2010: .230  18  78  (.698)

Ross on the road is my biggest concern, but looking at his career away numbers may reflect where he will gravitate to next year and beyond: (Pro-rated)

away: .249  23  84  (.744)

This may not look great, but it beats this year's: .227  22  73  (.685)
    His 2012 home numbers pro-rated to 650 PAs?

.316  38  138  (.988)

WOW!  Amazing.  

He should pay the Sox for the priviledge to play 81 games in Fenway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

He is worth more to Boston than any other team just about ( Houston also maybe? ). He probably signs and it could well be for less than $6 mil a year. He should take a multiyear Boston deal while he can.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ross is having a career year, will the Sox give him career year money?:

Ross has made it clear that he wants to stay in Boston,  that he enjoys playing for the Red Sox---and when we consider those who wanted out and made complaints about playing in Beantown, this is a refreshing change of pace.  Besides, he has produced for us.  Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not talking about a five year $90 million contract, but two years and an team option seem fair to me at around $ million a year.  We still don't know how much more improvement we are going to get from Jackie Bradley, Brian Brentz, Colbin Vitek or any of those youngsters we're so high on.  Ross takes care of himself and I would like to see him back, just as long as we also go out and get a couple of good starters like maybe Peavy and Shields if their respective teams don't pick p their options.

One more thing.  Let's cease and desist about the wonders of having James Loney on the team.  I live in the Los Angeles area and this guy is a lemon who will show himself for that very very soon.  He has no power, no longer hits for a good average and is a miserable fit for Boston.  He has no fire, no real drive and should be playing somewhere like Oakland or Seattle.  Keep  this guy in mind----Adam LaRoche.

Not to pick nits, but its Bryce Brentz  and they are not that high at all on the #33 ranked prospect in their system Kolbrin Vitek.
    With that said, I agree with some of what you are saying. Agree with re-signing Ross. I say a 2yr deal at about 12-14mm is fair for both sides...Adam Laroche did well in his short stint in Boston and I would put him on the list of potential 1b to look at this winter. Id also consider Swisher if the $$ is right. Always liked the guy...Maybe even Goimez if his D looks better...
    I dont like James Shields at all...hes nothing more than a decent middle ofthe rotation starter IMO. We have plenty of those...He does eat innings though...
    Im with you on Loney. Let him go and find someone that has a bit more power, as it should be with all the corners.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]How would you explain it then smart a** ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

lol @ perception of Red Sox as small market team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

two years at base 4 or find someone else to platoon in the OF.

With the offers you make, we'd never sign another FA... ever.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A simple re-tooling...Not much unlike a year when we've let a few FA walk...We let Pedey go, Damon leave, Lowe walk and few more from the 2004 squad that were vital pieces to winning in 2004. We still won another championship after that within the next couple years. A complete rebuild is not even close. Re-sign a couple players and make a couple deals in the offseason. The only valuable piece lost was Gonzo and his production can be duplicated at a couple positions. And the first thing required for being a smart azz is being smart, so Thank You...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A simple re-tooling...Not much unlike a year when we've let a few FA walk...We let Pedey go, Damon leave, Lowe walk and few more from the 2004 squad that were vital pieces to winning in 2004. We still won another championship after that within the next couple years. A complete rebuild is not even close. Re-sign a couple players and make a couple deals in the offseason. The only valuable piece lost was Gonzo and his production can be duplicated at a couple positions. And the first thing required for being a smart azz is being smart, so Thank You...

[/QUOTE]  You really need to put the pom poms down and get a grip on reality. You are quoted as saying the Red Sox will be contenders as early as next year. This isn't just a quick fix we are witnessing here. Just because they have all this free money all of a sudden doesn't mean they will spend it all. Do you really think Ortiz & Ross will want to re-sign with this team ? If both guys walk, they are screwed. You just don't replace AGon and Ortiz's bat just like that. This isn't just a matter of picking up a guy or 2 and they are right back in the hunt. Some people on here are acting like these 5 unproven no names they got from the Dodgers are going to save the franchise.  This team is in dissaray right now & have turned in to a total gong show. I think it is unreasonable for you to say or expect they will be contenders as early as next season. The Sox we see now who could very well go 0-9 on this current road trip could be the Sox we see for the next 3-4 years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

wow...the quoting system on the new forum makes my head hurt.

btw - we won our WS this century as a big market team, not a small market team.
    let's leave playing no-name "kids" as everyday players to the Royal's of the world
    just saying....

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

wait.....what?
    isn't the whole point of a FA that you dont trade for them????