Ross is having a career year, will the Sox give him career year money?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Ross is having a career year, will the Sox give him career year money?

With the offers you make, we'd never sign another FA... ever

That's a pretty good offer. I believe in trading for FA, in nearly every case. 

Now, tell me your offer for Ross. Again, mine is 2 years at base 4, which is 8M guaranteed for a mid thirties player who isn't impressive unless he's in Fenway and platooning.  I doubt Ross' market value is much more than that, but if it is, it won't be hard to find a better value replacement.

In the scheme of reality, your suggested offers over the year may be close to what these players are(were) worth, but the reality is the FA market is mostly inflated for various reasons, one of which is that when signing a FA, no cost was spent on that player's minor league development and the hundreds of other players that never made it. True value and market value are usually two different things, not to mention performance value (such as what fangraph's estimates).

There's a reason our society has auctions and allows several parties to bid up the price, and that is what free agency is all about. You may not like it, but it is the way most CEOs are hired these days as well...top bid wins. That's why people who cry about what CEOs make in comparison to the workers don't know jack.

That being said, to answer your question. I think Ross will look for a 3+ year deal. At his age and with a sketchy up and down career, he will seek the top total value deal. For example, he might take $25M/4 over $20M/3. I would start with a 2 year deal at $15M, but tell his agent we may offer more years later. I'd go as high as $21M/3 or maybe gamble on $26M/4.

Cody's struggles on the road are a big worry, but he should be worth more to us than most teams. One could easily say we are worth more to him as well, so he should take less to play here, but it never seems to work out that way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... my main point was that I have never seen you make a suggested offer that the player signed for that amount or even within $1M a year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ross has very similar splits to Nick Swisher.Both are 31.Swisher has 1 more HR (20) than Ross (19) in 55 at bats

ROSS :
    BA       OBP   SLG  OPS
     .277 .341 .514 .854
    Swisher:
    BA     OBP   SLG   OPS 
    .274 .360 .489 .850

The biggest difference is Ross is at 3 million per year and Swisher is at 10 million per year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Assume we sign Swisher, it's Hard to project how well Swisher will do in an almost an exact opposite Home park.

Ross is awesome atHome, while Swisher is awesome on the road:

Swisher:
    2012 Home/Away:

.798/.903

Swisher has been much more consistent over the years.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ross is having a career year, will the Sox give him career year money?:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ross is having a career year, will the Sox give him career year money?:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He will walk, why would he want to resign with a team that is in total rebuid transission at this stage of his career ? That being said, I really liked the aquisition of Ross.

Total rebuild? ummmm...ok..

[/QUOTE]How would you explain it then smart a** ?

[/QUOTE]

A simple re-tooling...Not much unlike a year when we've let a few FA walk...We let Pedey go, Damon leave, Lowe walk and few more from the 2004 squad that were vital pieces to winning in 2004. We still won another championship after that within the next couple years. A complete rebuild is not even close. Re-sign a couple players and make a couple deals in the offseason. The only valuable piece lost was Gonzo and his production can be duplicated at a couple positions. And the first thing required for being a smart azz is being smart, so Thank You...

[/QUOTE]  You really need to put the pom poms down and get a grip on reality. You are quoted as saying the Red Sox will be contenders as early as next year. This isn't just a quick fix we are witnessing here. Just because they have all this free money all of a sudden doesn't mean they will spend it all. Do you really think Ortiz & Ross will want to re-sign with this team ? If both guys walk, they are screwed. You just don't replace AGon and Ortiz's bat just like that. This isn't just a matter of picking up a guy or 2 and they are right back in the hunt. Some people on here are acting like these 5 unproven no names they got from the Dodgers are going to save the franchise.  This team is in dissaray right now & have turned in to a total gong show. I think it is unreasonable for you to say or expect they will be contenders as early as next season. The Sox we see now who could very well go 0-9 on this current road trip could be the Sox we see for the next 3-4 years.

[/QUOTE]

I think you've posted that message across the board on numerous threads since you "joined" us just recently.  I realize you have some 1,000 or so posts but you've supposedly been here since 2008. Every post you make is miserable, including those you've made to me. I don't believe you're a Sox fan at all, and the hockey pic doesn't fool me either. I'm pretty sure I know who you are. Give it a rest already. No one cares what your opinion is as far as I can tell.

[/QUOTE] You need to give your head a shake. Are we all suppose to be happy and a fake like you ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

I think our fickle fanbase dumps on a player who starts out slow as a Sox, but the opposite can happen when a player starts out hot (Ross).  Only real stars are consistent, and a one year judgement needs context.  Ross has not been this good before!

If paid and played as a platoon LF  bringing him back is a no-brainer.  I worry that I keep reading he will be back on a two to three year deal (he turns 32 in Dec).   He started off poorly in the field and has been again lately, I think RF is too much at Fenway for him.  

wRC+ 2008 - ..2012 :   106   105   97   102   125

Yes he was great a home and against LHP (30%) but:

Road OPS 2010 -  2012    .657  .726    .685

He killed LHP this year but he didn't last year  2010 - 2012:  .698   1.11

Cody has had a career year hitting in Fenway but I wouldn't sign him "long term" and don't think the Sox would either.  I think the Sox will want Cody back and make him a reasonable offer for a journeyman type OF but there are other options for RF including Swisher, a trade or one of our kids.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cody will be a lot cheaper than Swisher, not that money is an issue anymore.

While this is Cody's best career year in OPS, he has had more HRs and RBIs twice, and won a WS MVP another year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Do you really think Ortiz & Ross will want to re-sign with this team ? If both guys walk, they are screwed. You just don't replace AGon and Ortiz's bat just like that. This isn't just a matter of picking up a guy or 2 and they are right back in the hunt.

I have no idea why Papi would want to sign anywhere else.  He's a legend here, spent most of his career here, has two WS rings here, and will likely get offered more money to play here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59 comment:

Cody will be a lot cheaper than Swisher, not that money is an issue anymore.

While this is Cody's best career year in OPS, he has had more HRs and RBIs twice, and won a WS MVP another year.

I hear you moon but someone could over pay for Ross "it shouldn't be us" unless maybe Papi leaves.  We lost a great deal when Manny got traded "baggage aside" and now AGon and possibly Papi?  These guys don't come cheap, become available or grow from the farm very often.

Its all about strong pitching, defense and OBP in my opinion.  SLG/OPS is only as good as one makes it out to be without plate discipline.  If Ross can duplicate this year and come cheap enough by all means keep him.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Do you really think Ortiz & Ross will want to re-sign with this team ? If both guys walk, they are screwed. You just don't replace AGon and Ortiz's bat just like that. This isn't just a matter of picking up a guy or 2 and they are right back in the hunt.

I have no idea why Papi would want to sign anywhere else.  He's a legend here, spent most of his career here, has two WS rings here, and will likely get offered more money to play here.

He has been complaining all season how unhappy he is with his current contract that is paying him 14 million this year .

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

He has been complaining all season how unhappy he is with his current contract that is paying him 14 million this year .

[/QUOTE]

He got lucky with the $14M.  I doubt anyone will offer him maybe $16M/2.  He can complain till the cows come home.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He got lucky with the $14M.  I doubt anyone will offer him maybe $16M/2.  He can complain till the cows come home.

[/QUOTE] I agree, I don't want him to leave either but will the Sox offer him the 2 years he is looking for ? It's hard to believe anyone would be excited to play in Boston next season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, and we will probably pay him $3-6M more per year than anyone else would.