Ross out, Linares in!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: Ross out, Linares in!

he has 200 MINOR LEAGUE PAs

Who cares!  How many  did  

Yoenis Cespedes have?

I have taken a lot of abuse for putting the argument forward for JCL and Lowrie from some reasonable and well-informed posters.  I just disagree.  Joe B. has knocked the JCL argument bringing up other Sox prospects that flamed out, but almost every other minor league sensation was a bad fielder.  I have posted all of them before.  There is a good reason Boras signed JCL, he is atwo way player.  It is not his fault his experience came in Cuna or his injuries. 

Lowrie has been streaky and injured too much.  When he puts it together he can play.   At the moment very early days but he leads MLB in WAR at SS (10th of all MLB), with 0 errors (just like '08).

Ross will cost us in RF if we make the post-season. He can't do it anymore!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: Ross out, Linares in!:
    [QUOTE]Chilli - You've got it all wrong.  Ross should definitely be replaced by Linares.  Linares is sporting a MiLB career OPS of about .820 and he's racked up about 200 minor league PAs ... over three seasons .  You give far too much credit to Ross' MLB career .780 OPS over nearly 3000 PAs.  Don't pay any attention to his vLHP stats, the fact that he is supposed to be platooning with Sweeney, the 40 man roster issues created by moving Linares or the fact that Ellsbury will be back eventually.  That's all just a smoke screen created by our incredibly inept FO.  If only BC read this bored ... er, board.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

I do not have it all wrong, or even partially wrong.  Ross was brought in for specific reasons and he has greatly exceeded expectations so far with the bat though his fielding has disappointed.  Why on earth should Ross' numbers vs LHP be ignored?  That's a major benefit.

Ross' career OPS is the same as Linares' AAA OPS.  Linares is nearly 28 and playing AA ball....3-5 years older than most of the guys he's playing against.  I hope I'm wrong and Linares is more than a greybeard beating up on youngsters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ross out, Linares in! : I do not have it all wrong, or even partially wrong.  Ross was brought in for specific reasons and he has greatly exceeded expectations so far with the bat though his fielding has disappointed.  Why on earth should Ross' numbers vs LHP be ignored?  That's a major benefit. Ross' career OPS is the same as Linares' AAA OPS.  Linares is nearly 28 and playing AA ball....3-5 years older than most of the guys he's playing against.  I hope I'm wrong and Linares is more than a greybeard beating up on youngsters.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]
    If a sarcasm font existed it could have saved you some typing ... Tongue Out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]If Ross is such a valuable commodity then he will bring a nice reliever in a trade?  He isn't of course because his bat will regress but his D won't progress.      Don't pay any attention to his vLHP stats, the fact that he is supposed to be platooning with Sweeney, The same applies to JCL! his thread is ridiculous.  We got a backup/platoon OF with post-season experience for $3m/1 year contract who is tearing the cover off the ball and still people complain. Chill, Why did Theo trade Nomar and his 2004 118 OPS+?  Are you advocating playing Ross in RF when CC is back over A competent fielder who also bats RH and also will hit better in Fenway? Ross has a 23% HR/FB ratio at the moment.  He had a .730 OPS in 2011, What kind of OPS differential would not make Linares a better value? 782 PAs Ross vs LHP is .281/.348/.559/.907...     Ross VS LHP '12      .733 '11      .698 '10      .883 '09      .959
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Tom - Linares has never played baseball in the US in an age appropriate league.  While he is red hot right now - in AA pushing 28 - it's a small sample size...and isn't he in a hitter's league too?

I hope the guy makes it and I u/s the issue with Ross' fielding.  But Linares?  I see no compelling evidence yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ross out, Linares in! : If a sarcasm font existed it could have saved you some typing ... 
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

I reread your earlier post and figured it out just before seeing this one....d'oh!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]he has 200 MINOR LEAGUE PAs .  Who cares!  How many  did   Yoenis   Cespedes  have? I have taken a lot of abuse for putting the argument forward for JCL and Lowrie from some reasonable and well-informed posters.  I just disagree.  Joe B. has knocked the JCL argument bringing up other Sox prospects that flamed out, but almost every other minor league sensation was a bad fielder.  I have posted all of them before.  There is a good reason Boras signed JCL, he is atwo way player.  It is not his fault his experience came in Cuna or his injuries.  Lowrie has been streaky and injured too much.  When he puts it together he can play.   At the moment very early days but he leads MLB in WAR at SS (10th of all MLB), with 0 errors (just like '08). Ross will cost us in RF if we make the post-season. He can't do it anymore!
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Tom - I was pulling for Lowrie too.  I understand the concerns with Ross' fielding but with Ross we have a longer track record to justify expectations of his offense.  JCL doesn't have that history to justify making the move you suggest.  Maybe he will at some point, but for now he hasn't earned it in 70 at bats in AA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I'll take it on the chin if Ross produces and Linares fades!  
    My past positons:
    Cameron is a good signing!    WRONG
    Lowrie can play SS in his prime!  Too early
    Salty over Lava for 2012!
    Aviles over Iglesias!
    Don't sign Beltre b/c he is too injury prone!  Pbobably wrong
    A. Sanchez will be a better pitcher than Clay! Probably right.
    Teixeira is over-rated!  Right
    Ellsbury is not a good fielder!  Right - then - Wrong - ...?
    Drew was the best option!  Right (see Lee, Matthews Jr, and Soriano)
    Lowell has a sense of entitlement!  Right
    Lester is an Ace!  Right - ???
    Lackey was on decline don't sign him! Right
    It is too much money but there is a chance Crawford will age like Clemente!
      Wrong
    Bay will age poorly!  Right
    Dont trade for Halliday!  Wrong
    Put Bard in rotation!  too early
    Let Paps walk!  too early
    Sox should have got more than Melancon! Right - too early
    Shoppach good signing! too early
    Gardner will be great value!  Right
    Colon will implode!  Wrong

Feel free to do the same like Moon and I have!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]I'll take it on the chin if Ross produces and Linares fades!   My past positons: Cameron is a good signing!    WRONG Lowrie can play SS in his prime!  Too early Salty over Lava for 2012! Aviles over Iglesias! Don't sign Beltre b/c he is too injury prone!  Pbobably wrong A. Sanchez will be a better pitcher than Clay! Probably right. Teixeira is over-rated!  Right Ellsbury is not a good fielder!  Right - then - Wrong - ...? Drew was the best option!  Right (see Lee, Matthews Jr, and Soriano) Lowell has a sense of entitlement!  Right Lester is an Ace!  Right - ??? Lackey was on decline don't sign him! Right It is too much money but there is a chance Crawford will age like Clemente!   Wrong Bay will age poorly!  Right Dont trade for Halliday!  Wrong Put Bard in rotation!  too early Let Paps walk!  too early Sox should have got more than Melancon! Right - too early Shoppach good signing! too early Gardner will be great value!  Right Colon will implode!  Wrong Feel free to do the same like Moon and I have!
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

It doesn't really matter if you will take it on the chin or not.  Linares is not going to come up from AA to replace Ross.  It just simply is not going to happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ross out, Linares in! : It doesn't really matter if you will take it on the chin or not.  Linares is not going to come up from AA to replace Ross.  It just simply is not going to happen.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Repko

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ross out, Linares in! : Repko
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Repko what?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Nava

Ross out with sore knee, Anderson in left field | Red Sox Blog ...

blogs.providencejournal.com/.../ross-out-with-sore-knee-anderson-in...
    6 days ago

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Hermida

Added: 05/02/2012Duration: 01:04
    5/2/12: Cody Ross' misplay in the left-field corner results in a Seth Smith double that plates Josh Reddick
    Video Tags:hitting, highlight, Seth Smith

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Nava
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Your post has the title" Ross out, Linares in". I stated the hte Red Sox will not replace Ross with Linares.  Now you are doing one word posts naming outfielders the Red Sox have brought up.  None of whom have been brought up to replace Cody ross.

So is your point that Linares could be brought up?  If so I agree he could.  If your point is that Linares will be brought up to replace Cody Ross that isn't going to happen.  

What is the point of your post?  Is it about replacing Ross with Linares or just that Linares might be brought up at some point?  Repko and Nava were brought up because of injuries.  Not to replace a starting outfielder.  

But I assume you know this.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Nava Ross  out with  sore knee , Anderson in left field | Red Sox Blog  ... blogs.providencejournal.com/.../ ross -out-with- sore - knee -anderson-in... 6 days ago
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Umm yeah If Ross gets injured Linares might be brought up.  Which has nothing to do with your thread.

I fear I am witnessing a mental breakdown.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

It may take an injury, it may never happen!

My point is that it should happen, now! Trade Ross if he is worth something.  Ross will put up about league worst fielding numbers in CF and RF, and maybe even LF.

He is not a good enough hitter to compenste, just like Nomar in 2004.

Umm yeah If Ross gets injured Linares might be brought up.  Which has nothing to do with your thread.

What it has everything to do with it.  If Ross gets hurt he shouldn't get his job back.

Your smugness is not welcome.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]It may take an injury, it may never happen! My point is that it should happen, now! Trade Ross if he is worth something.  Ross will put up about league worst fielding numbers in CF and RF, and maybe even LF. He is not a good enough hitter to compenste, just like Nomar in 2004.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

dude.  this is not going to happen. They just signed Ross and Ells and Craw are out.  There is simply no way they are going to trade him to bring up an AA outfielder to take his place when two of their starting outfielders are already out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

this is not going to happen

I never said it would I'm saying it SHOULD. 

Rob Neyer would be out of work if all he wrote about is what WILL happen. 

Last seasons in Cuba:  Cespedes 1.012      JCL  1.018

This is a Sox message board where people throw things out, others knock the idea and tje OP is defended..  Then others get smug, and write that only what will happen is allowed.

Let's see your track record, put it out there.

Put down a UZR and OPS for Ross in 2012!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE] this is not going to happen I never said it would I'm saying it SHOULD.  Rob Neyer would be out of work if all he wrote about is what WILL happen.  Last seasons in Cuba:   Cespedes 1.012      JCL  1.018 This is a Sox message board where people throw things out, others knock the idea and tje OP is defended..  Then others get smug, and write that only what will happen is allowed. Let's see your track record, put it out there. Put down a UZR and OPS for Ross in 2012!
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

A couple things here my man.  First of all try and relax.

Secondly I never set that "what only will happen is allowed"  By me saying that your OP will not happen I am simply stating that it makes no sense and no one in the front office is remotely considering it.  

Third by asking me to guess at what UZR abd OPS Ross will have you are completely moving the goalpost.   If you want to start another thread on that topic I will be glad to contribute. 

I have no idea why you would start a thread if you get this sensitive about people disagreeing with you.

There is a shot Linares comes up.  but not for Ross when two other starting OFers are out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

fear I am witnessing a mental breakdown.

have no idea why you would start a thread if you get this sensitive about people disagreeing with you

Not smug?  i'm not to bothered bud, but you gotta expect a little come back when throw around "mental breakdown".   Come on your whole life you probably have been told you are a tiresome smug know it all.  Lighten  up I'm just dishing it a bit back.

I don't mind a debate at all, content helps.

Come on, grow some spheres!  Don't try to narrow the discussion to one point that was never made (what will happen).  Let's see some numbers.  Just relax and do it!

From SOSH not sure if right:

05-06:
    Linares: .319/.385/.513.
    Cespedes: .351/.444/.649
    06-07:
    Linares: .345/.467/.586
    Cespedes: .303/.402/.541
    07-08:
    Linares: .308/.438/.536
    Cespedes: .284/.342/.552
    08-09:
    Linares: .325/.430/.588
    Cespedes:.323/.411/.601

OPS comparison: Y. Cespedes vs. JC Linares:
    05-06: L: .898, C: .1093;
    06-07: L: .1053, C: 943;
    07-08: L: .974, C: .894;
    08-09: L: .1018, C: .1012.

http://www.fangraphs...talents-in-ml

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE] fear I am witnessing a mental breakdown.  have no idea why you would start a thread if you get this sensitive about people disagreeing with you Not smug?  Come on your whole life you probably have been told you are tiresome smug know it all.  Lighten I'm just dishing a bit back. Come on, grow some spheres!  Don't try to narrow the discussion to one point that was never made (what will happen).  Let's see some numbers.  Just relax and do it!
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

You really are having some problems here.  Personal attacks and everything. Oh you got me Tom! Oh you know so much about me from our meaningless back and forth about JC Linares. 

So when you say "Ross out, Linares in" you actually don't think any of this will happen at all and it is sort of as if you are writing about dragons or somesuch?

Dude.  Pull. It. Together.

the mental breakdown comment was harsh but was in obvious references to your one word "Repko" "Nava" posts.  Sorry I got dragged into this broseph.  Have a good one and all that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

How about bringing up Linares and slotting Bradley in AA ball? Bradley has 2 more hits today, including a HR. The guy is torrid!

Linares has interesting splits so far this year. He's hitting .400 against RH pitching. And naturally most of our OF are all LH.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Ross has a bad injury history and was pulled out of a dumpster.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Ross has a bad injury history and was pulled out of a dumpster.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]Cool

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Ross has a bad injury history and was pulled out of a dumpster.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Cool

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ross out, Linares in! : You really are having some problems here.  Personal attacks and everything. Oh you got me Tom! Oh you know so much about me from our meaningless back and forth about JC Linares.  So when you say "Ross out, Linares in" you actually don't think any of this will happen at all and it is sort of as if you are writing about dragons or somesuch? Dude.  Pull. It. Together. the mental breakdown comment was harsh but was in obvious references to your one word "Repko" "Nava" posts.  Sorry I got dragged into this broseph.  Have a good one and all that.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry Snake I was too personal in calling you a know-it-all (although it wasn't just based on this debate).  Respect begets respect.

I don't favor a narrow approach where all OPs are about what will happen, and asking for a projection of the pertinent player is off limits.

Pawtucket OF

Kroeger    1 HR   .686
    Nava        2 HR   .791
    Lin           1 HR   .664

AA

Linares      5 HR   1.059

Added: 05/07/2012Duration: 00:51

5/7/12: Mike Moustakas doubles to deep center field as Marlon Byrd cannot come up with the catch in the bottom of the second

Added: 04/15/2012Duration: 00:54
    4/15/12: Evan Longoria drills a ground-rule double to right, scoring Carlos Pena in the fifth

Added: 05/02/2012Duration: 01:04
    5/2/12: Cody Ross' misplay in the left-field corner results in a Seth Smith double that plates Josh Reddick

Added: 05/09/2012Duration: 00:50
    5/9/12: Brayan Pena hits a double that goes in and out of Cody Ross' glove in the bottom of the first, scoring two for a 3-0 Royals lead

Added: 05/09/2012Duration: 00:43
    5/9/12: Billy Butler scores from second when a Johnny Giavotella fly ball glances off the glove of Marlon Byrd in the first

Added: 04/28/2012Duration: 00:49
    4/28/12: Paul Konerko doubles to center field for his 2,007th career hit, tying Eddie Collins for fourth in White Sox history