ROSTER going NORTH should be out this.......

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: ROSTER going NORTH should be out this.......

Bard doesn't make it.....JBJ, Carp and Nava do......

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

JBJ is Badley   Bill pay attention

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

JBJ is Badley   Bill pay attention

HAHA! 

Bill..........Wow........just wow.......

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Looks like  JBJ is all set......  Go North young man, Go NORTH !!!!

I've argued the case for why keeping Bradley in Pawtucket for the first 11 days (or whatever it is) would be the smarter long-term decision...that's what my head says, but I'd be lying if I said my heart wasn't pulling for him to be in New York on Monday. Odds are looking good now that this will be the case. You can't help but be excited about this kid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I've argued the case for why keeping Bradley in Pawtucket for the first 11 days (or whatever it is) would be the smarter long-term decision...that's what my head says, but I'd be lying if I said my heart wasn't pulling for him to be in New York on Monday. Odds are looking good now that this will be the case. You can't help but be excited about this kid.

Same here.

I hope he's not so good, that they can't send him down for a month, when Ortiz is back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Even if JBJ makes the team out of ST, Sox can send him down to minors and complete the required service times to slow the FA clcok.  But do FO really care for that extra year?  Let's put it this way.  We will see him now instead of in 2018 or 2019 whenever that extra year falls in.  Who knows we would have a replacement just like JBJ later.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Even if JBJ makes the team out of ST, Sox can send him down to minors and complete the required service times to slow the FA clcok.  But do FO really care for that extra year?  Let's put it this way.  We will see him now instead of in 2018 or 2019 whenever that extra year falls in.  Who knows we would have a replacement just like JBJ later.  

All that is true.

The Sox can send him dowm, at any time, for 20 days.

A small price to pay for an extra year of control, IMO.

We could have his replacement.

Or, he could continue to be so good, that we'll be kicking ourselves for not buying an extra year on the cheap.

If I thought the Sox season hinged on getting off to a great start and thought they absolutely need JBJ to accomplish that, I'd say the hell with the extra year.

But, I think Lester, Buccholz and Dempster are going to have far more to say about how fast the Sox start, than JBJ.

I also don't think any other AL East team is in a position to run away with the division, in the first two months of the season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

You put your best players out there to play. If he is a defensive wiz in the OF then play him. 2018 or 2019 is a long ways away. The last thing the Red Sox can afford is another slow start. They are going into NY and playing a Yankees team that doesn't resemble it's old self. Keep Gomes at DH until Big Papi gets back, whenever that is. This team needs it's best foot forward from the get go.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

If they send JBJ down later it has to be for 20 games, not twenty days.  If they do it now he will miss 8-9 games.  Do it now.  Be smart Ben.  Think long term.  It won't hurt this season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

If they send JBJ down later it has to be for 20 games, not twenty days.  If they do it now he will miss 8-9 games.  Do it now.  Be smart Ben.  Think long term.  It won't hurt this season.

It'sa  good point.  I go back and fourth on this one.  I REALLY want to see him up here and playing.  He ABSOLUTELY deserves it and I do hope he makes it....... but it's 9 games. 

I'm still in the 'let him start the season with Boston' camp though... more for my wanting to reward the kid with his hard work and to keep him on a roll.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

I believe it is for 20 days....not games. At least that is what every article that has been writtem ad nuaseum about this has said.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Strike while the iron is hot!  Bring him up & keep him up!  Could make one of the best OF's in the mlb.  Gomes in LF???  Ughhhh!  You put him at the DH spot and tell him to focus on nothing else but kicking the crap out of the ball.  Without Papi, this lineup without JBJ looks to be less than average.  Having the kid with his wheels in this lineup gives the whole team a different look.

The 11 days will take care of itself either way.  We either compete NOW, or possibly compete 7 years from now.  He will either give us the spark we desperately need now, and stay with the team if we are competative, or be sent down when and if it's clear we will not be competing for the WC.  How difficult do we need to make this.  It's clearly worth taking the shot!

I hope we hear today!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

All that is true.

Or, he could continue to be so good, that we'll be kicking ourselves for not buying an extra year on the cheap.

If I thought the Sox season hinged on getting off to a great start and thought they absolutely need JBJ to accomplish that, I'd say the hell with the extra year.

But, I think Lester, Buccholz and Dempster are going to have far more to say about how fast the Sox start, than JBJ.

I also don't think any other AL East team is in a position to run away with the division, in the first two months of the season.

I dont understand where there the Sox would be getting a year on the cheap? The MLB Minimum Salary is $480,000, so lets assume the Sox are generous and give him contract offers with sligght raises for the 3 years he is pre arbitration. So, 2013, $480K, 2014, $510K, 2015, $550K. Then Arb would kick in and he would get 3 years of Arbitration $, which assuming he was a Superstar would still be hard to guess. but if he got Ellsbury $ we would be talking 2.4MM, 8MM, and 9MM.....then we would be able for FA $, which again we have an Unknown , but lets say, great but not top palyer in the game, 15MM in 2019.

If the Sox retain the year of control, by keeping Bradley down for the 1st 10 games, though it would push back his Free Agency eligibilty  it would not push back his Arbitration years, because he most like would be Arb Eligible after 2 years Service time instead of the 3 years. This would mean, he would make the Same salaries as above and then in 2019, he would still be Arb eligible and he could end up getting just as much in Arbitration in 2019 as he would in Free Agency, if not more, if he say got hurt in 2018. See the Super Two Arb rule below. All in all, even considering year of Control in the decision, rather than who would be the best players on our Roster, is not a necessarily a good business decision as many have said.

Q: When does a player become eligible for salary arbitration? 

A: A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 22 percent (increased from 17 percent in previous agreements) in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

All that is true.

I dont understand where there the Sox would be getting a year on the cheap? The MLB Minimum Salary is $480,000, so lets assume the Sox are generous and give him contract offers with sligght raises for the 3 years he is pre arbitration. So, 2013, $480K, 2014, $510K, 2015, $550K. Then Arb would kick in and he would get 3 years of Arbitration $, which assuming he was a Superstar would still be hard to guess. but if he got Ellsbury $ we would be talking 2.4MM, 8MM, and 9MM.....then we would be able for FA $, which again we have an Unknown , but lets say, great but not top palyer in the game, 15MM in 2019.

If the Sox retain the year of control, by keeping Bradley down for the 1st 10 games, though it would push back his Free Agency eligibilty  it would not push back his Arbitration years, because he most like would be Arb Eligible after 2 years Service time instead of the 3 years. This would mean, he would make the Same salaries as above and then in 2019, he would still be Arb eligible and he could end up getting just as much in Arbitration in 2019 as he would in Free Agency, if not more, if he say got hurt in 2018. See the Super Two Arb rule below. All in all, even considering year of Control in the decision, rather than who would be the best players on our Roster, is not a necessarily a good business decision as many have said.

Q: When does a player become eligible for salary arbitration? 

A: A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 22 percent (increased from 17 percent in previous agreements) in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.

That's true.

But, having JBJ miss a few games is minimal insurance against his being very good, durable and worth a lot more than he would otherwise receive in arbitration.

If his service time is more like Ellsbury's, with significant time missed, due to injury, then you're right, the savings, in that last year, wont be that much.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

If sweeney opts out today, then its probably a good sign JBJ is headed north...To NY

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Bard doesn't make it.....JBJ, Carp and Nava do......

I would rather get the 12 days JBJ has to spend in the minor league over and done with. Obviously he should be with the ML club, but the extra year of team control could be worth millions of dollars. I want the option of keeping him up in Boston for the rest of the year if he is needed rather than having the 20 day period hanging over our heads like the sword of Damacles all year.

Sections
Shortcuts