Roster Moves Today - Is Middlebrooks or Bogaerts on their Way?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Roster Moves Today - Is Middlebrooks or Bogaerts on their Way?

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

Bogaerts 4 for 6 in the doubleheader today, Middlebrooks 3 for 6.

Averages up to .287 and .269 respectively.

It's time to cut the cord with Snyder and bring up one of them. I'd give Bogaerts first shot. Let's see what the 20 year old can do.

I agree. SOMETHING has to be done to correct our performance vs LHP. Bogaerts (in just 47 PAs, I admit) is batting .319/1.016 vs LHP. I would get rid of Snyder and bring up XB.

[/QUOTE]

It's not an "elephant in the room"; it's an ostrich head in the sand.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

WM should be brought up now and XB on Sept 1.  What the heck are the Sox doing with Snyder.  I can see Holt bc he is a utility guy.  Snyder is redundent.

Middlebrooks was also in a fielding funk. Not that Snyder is a glove whiz.

Maybe Ben is afraid that if WMB fails, his confidence may be forever beyond repair.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Anybody have an idea? Only reason why I'm wondering is that with Chen (lefty) on the mound, you would think Snyder would be playing 3B. But Holt is in there.  If he's not going to be in there against a tough lefty, why keep him on the roster?

Anyone know?

Middy "315" against leftes and Bogy "333" should both be brought up with Holt and Snyder sent down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

This team is hanging on the edge of disaster.  When things tip, they are going down fast.  They need to try some things now, before all those AL East games come banging on the door.    Nuts to think this team will hit against good LH pitching.    Bring up Bogaerts, it will be good experience for him, and he is mature for his age.   If anything it will help a guy like him, not mess him up if he doesn't have immediate success. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Anybody have an idea? Only reason why I'm wondering is that with Chen (lefty) on the mound, you would think Snyder would be playing 3B. But Holt is in there.  If he's not going to be in there against a tough lefty, why keep him on the roster?

Anyone know?

Middy "315" against leftes and Bogy "333" should both be brought up with Holt and Snyder sent down.

Agree 100%.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to soxmeister's comment:

This team is hanging on the edge of disaster.  When things tip, they are going down fast.  They need to try some things now, before all those AL East games come banging on the door.    Nuts to think this team will hit against good LH pitching.    Bring up Bogaerts, it will be good experience for him, and he is mature for his age.   If anything it will help a guy like him, not mess him up if he doesn't have immediate success. 

LOL!!

Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Snyder has a .946OPS vs LHP this year. Middlebrooks has a .675OPS vs LHP.

Iknow the sample sizes are small, but what has Middlebrooks done to make anyone think he is the solution? And how has Snyder been the problem?

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It is puzzling that Farrell had Holt in the lineup last night vs. Chen instead of Snyder.  Why wouldn't you start Snyder vs. all lefties?  Maybe he's got a minor injury or something.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Iknow the sample sizes are small, but what has Middlebrooks done to make anyone think he is the solution? And how has Snyder been the problem?

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

a .946 OPS in only 28 at-bats.  That's a pretty small ss....but hey while we are at it vs. RHP he has a  .063 OPS.  That's correct, I did not mess up the decimal point it's a .063

If there was any validity in platooning 3B (and I'm not saying there isn't) can we really afford to have a platoon going at multiple positions?  At what point are we sacrificing an extra pitcher or a base stealer off the bench.  If WMB or Bogaerts can give you more value at 3B.  Then they should bring them up.

What is there to lose? a .171/.217/.369 combined split at 3B since the allstar break??? I'd bet money you get more than that out of Middlebrooks (and his defense is good there) 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

-Shel Silverstein

a .946 OPS in only 28 at-bats.  That's a pretty small ss....but hey while we are at it vs. RHP he has a  .063 OPS.  That's correct, I did not mess up the decimal point it's a .063

If there was any validity in platooning 3B (and I'm not saying there isn't) can we really afford to have a platoon going at multiple positions?  At what point are we sacrificing an extra pitcher or a base stealer off the bench.  If WMB or Bogaerts can give you more value at 3B.  Then they should bring them up.

What is there to lose? a .171/.217/.369 combined split at 3B since the allstar break??? I'd bet money you get more than that out of Middlebrooks (and his defense is good there) 

[/QUOTE]

I said Snyder has not been the problem vs LHP. I made no such promises going forwatd.

The real issue is Holt, who is 3 for his last 25.  Maybe the Sox like his 18% line drive rate and think his issues are related to his .228 BABIP

I'm not sold.  His xBABIP is .282, but this really only makes his xBA .259 and his xOBP .298.  He really is a utility man, at least right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

-Shel Silverstein

[/QUOTE]

I said Snyder has not been the problem vs LHP. I made no such promises going forwatd.

The real issue is Holt, who is 3 for his last 25.  Maybe the Sox like his 18% line drive rate and think his issues are related to his .228 BABIP

I'm not sold.  His xBABIP is .282, but this really only makes his xBA .259 and his xOBP .298.  He really is a utility man, at least right now.

[/QUOTE]

100% agree.  I do see one of Bogaerts or Middlebrooks manning 3B full time by seasons end and whenever that happens I think Holt may stay up as a utility man. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Brandon Snyder---out of options not just with the Sox but out of options period. He is currently a two position player( 3 B and 1 B--best position 1 B).

So who are you affraid is going to pick him up?

Not the Rays. Not the O's. Not Toronto. Not the Yankees, or Detroit, not the Dogers or Giants.

If someone does pick him up good for Brandon--he will be on a Maj. League Roster. If he clears waivers he can go back to the PawSox and perhaps get some valuable post season playoff experience.

For the Sox it opens a 40 man roster spot. It's a win-win for both parties.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

-Shel Silverstein

[/QUOTE]

You sure Middlebrooks can beat thst?

Since his 3HR game, Middlebrooks posted a .174 / .207 / .320 split in 289 PA...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

-Shel Silverstein

[/QUOTE]

You sure Middlebrooks can beat thst?

Since his 3HR game, Middlebrooks posted a .174 / .207 / .320 split in 289 PA...

[/QUOTE]

He has looked better recently, but I see your point.  Still, I'm pretty confident that one of Bogaerts and WMB can produce at 3B this year......at least more than Holt/Snyder. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Re: Brandon Snyder---out of options not just with the Sox but out of options period. He is currently a two position player( 3 B and 1 B--best position 1 B).

So who are you affraid is going to pick him up?

Not the Rays. Not the O's. Not Toronto. Not the Yankees, or Detroit, not the Dogers or Giants.

If someone does pick him up good for Brandon--he will be on a Maj. League Roster. If he clears waivers he can go back to the PawSox and perhaps get some valuable post season playoff experience.

For the Sox it opens a 40 man roster spot. It's a win-win for both parties.

Why wouldn't Tampa grab him?

Maddon and Friedman seem to love those AAAA types, and all it would cost them for more depth is 3 weeks of Rysn Roberts...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

-Shel Silverstein

Notin, yes he has an OPS that high against lefties, but in 28 At bats. Is it worth keeping a guy on the roster for one thing only, a very small sample size ability to hit lefties. He's got two very big things working against him and the reason why he probably won't stick anywhere:

- He can't field

- He is 0 for 15 against righties striking out 47% of the time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

-Shel Silverstein

Notin, yes he has an OPS that high against lefties, but in 28 At bats. Is it worth keeping a guy on the roster for one thing only, a very small sample size ability to hit lefties. He's got two very big things working against him and the reason why he probably won't stick anywhere:

- He can't field

[/QUOTE]

First of all, I cannot belive I am defending a platoon or, epecially, Brandon Snyder.  But really, youcannot scream and cry about problems with LHP, and then demand the team DFA the guy who has hit lefties the best on the team as part of the solution.

I'm actually surpised the Sox did not bring up Bogaerts after the Iglesias trade.  But then, if they di not bring him up becuase they want him to be a shortstop and a shortstop only, then he is not likely to be a 3B this month.

And Middlebrooks has not been any better than Snyyder / Holt combo.  He really hasn't.  

I'd be OK with them making Bogaerts a 3B, extending a QO to Drew and then taking hat as the left side next year.   But it won't happen.  It looks like Bogaerts is the SS, and Cecchini is the 3B...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Bogaerts, presently, is playing SS for Pawtuckett.

This tells me that he will replace Drew next year and the person most likely to be brought up, if the FO think he's overcome some of his problems, is Middlebrooks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Bogaerts, presently, is playing SS for Pawtuckett.

This tells me that he will replace Drew next year and the person most likely to be brought up, if the FO think he's overcome some of his problems, is Middlebrooks.

I tend to agree.

That Middlebrooks has not been brought up at the very least makes me think the FO thinks he has a ways to go...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to soxmeister's comment:

Soxmeister, every team the Sox play will continue to contribute to their possible demise. There are no easy touches out there that you can say that's a win. KC has been on a roll and they have a bunch of aggressively talented players with very good pitching. Once they have you on the mat they do everything to keep you there. Sox Management has to decide if this is a year to go all in or if this is a year we develop our youth and bring them up and let them show us what they've got. The train is about to leave the station--I hope you decide to get on and make that push.

Toronto, the Yankees, SF and Dodger Blue then the O's on the way home. They all will be tough.

XBo and WMB in addition to some pen help, and that doesn't mean Beato. That may mean identifying someone like Tim Collins from KC or Greg Perkins from the Twins. I think Miami is reading a lot these days about how great this young team is going to be in the very near future--so I don't think their closer, Steve Cishek, is going to be avaiable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

WMB may not be any better than Snyder--he will be, if nothing more, he will be a threat that Snyder nor Holt are at this stage. Keep Holt as the SuperS--waive Snyder and Beato--bringring up WMB and Huntzinger from the pen ---Hunt appears to be better than Beato.

-Shel Silverstein

- He can't field

[/QUOTE]

First of all, I cannot belive I am defending a platoon or, epecially, Brandon Snyder.  But really, youcannot scream and cry about problems with LHP, and then demand the team DFA the guy who has hit lefties the best on the team as part of the solution.

I'm actually surpised the Sox did not bring up Bogaerts after the Iglesias trade.  But then, if they di not bring him up becuase they want him to be a shortstop and a shortstop only, then he is not likely to be a 3B this month.

And Middlebrooks has not been any better than Snyyder / Holt combo.  He really hasn't.  

I'd be OK with them making Bogaerts a 3B, extending a QO to Drew and then taking hat as the left side next year.   But it won't happen.  It looks like Bogaerts is the SS, and Cecchini is the 3B...

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

From Extra Bases on Thursday, on when the Sox will make a move at 3B:

"When one of the players mentioned [Middlebrooks or Bogaerts] steps up and says by his performance and his actions this is one that's going to make us the best team," Farrell said. "That's what is the bottom-line goal here, what is our best team."

I find this kind of odd. I realize he is playing coy about the situation, but I guess I missed at what point Holt and Snyder "stepped up" and showed they should be starting third baseman on our "best team." To say that Middlebrooks and/or Bogaerts aren't ready is one thing, but this implies that currently we're a better team with Holt/Snyder, one of whom should be a utility infielder and the other of whom is a failed prospect.

That can't be the plan at 3B for a team with playoff aspirations...a move is coming, the only question is when.

Sections
Shortcuts