Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here

The Sox will make a minimum of one roster move in time for tonight's game. This thread is opinions only. Keep in mind that their current relievers have been pitching great but some of them are cooked. They need someone up. Here is my minimal and maximum thoughts. Please post yours.

1. Buchholz DL'd. Melancon up. Germano will then start in his place next time around.

2. Looking at Pawucket roster, the only guys worth bringing up are Germano or Duckworth. Unfortunately, they started Friday and Saturday so would not be avaialble tonight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Re: Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here

Ship both DSalty and Buchholz down to Pawtuckett, permanently!
    Then bring up Lavarnway and insert Padilla in the rotation or beg Wakefield to come back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here:
    [QUOTE]The Sox will make a minimum of one roster move in time for tonight's game. This thread is opinions only. Keep in mind that their current relievers have been pitching great but some of them are cooked. They need someone up. Here is my minimal and maximum thoughts. Please post yours. 1. Buchholz DL'd. Melancon up. Germano will then start in his place next time around. 2. Looking at Pawucket roster, the only guys worth bringing up are Germano or Duckworth. Unfortunately, they started Friday and Saturday so would not be avaialble tonight.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]
    I guess the decision has already been made , as the new guy has to be in K.C. tonight.  Melancon deserves a recall . The only thing is, is that he is basically a one or two inning guy. We may be in need of a long reliever. Not sure what Mortensen's status is. He obviously was not able to go yesterday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Gas Wastefield. Send hands of stone and air bat Salty to AAA, and call up Lavarnway from bean counting pile.

Hope that Ellsbury comes back and puts up good numbers, then put together a Ellsbury-Ted Williams plus blocked prosepects package deal for the best star young RH OF'er on the summer market.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It doesn't really matter at this point

The only way we were going to make a run at this thing is if Beckett Lester and Bucholtz all pitched well this year.  And that's just ain't happening.......

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In Response to Re: Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here : I guess the decision has already been made , as the new guy has to be in K.C. tonight.  Melancon deserves a recall . The only thing is, is that he is basically a one or two inning guy. We may be in need of a long reliever. Not sure what Mortensen's status is. He obviously was not able to go yesterday.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    Tazawa?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The sooner Big Ben announces that he will listen to any and all trade offers the better off we will be to compete in 2013.........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

We need fresh arms , so demoting Buch to work on things in Pawtucket makes perfect sense....Melancon being called up. I have been a Salty supporter, but I also agree that it may be time to give Lava a FT shot.....if only for the enthusiasm a young guy can bring to the team. Defensively he cannot be worse than Salty has been and I think it is a given by most that he will be an upgrade offensively....a shakeup is needed. I also think Will M needs to stay up and play....so we should start thinking about Youk and what to do there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I could go along with Buch to AAA for rehab, Melancon to Boston, and Mortensen to start for Buch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here:
    [QUOTE]I could go along with Buch to AAA for rehab, Melancon to Boston, and Mortensen to start for Buch.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Or, bring up Germano. I guess if they start Padilla, then Melancon stays.

Another big issue is their starters have been so bad, they are still carrying 8 relief pitchers. They only have three position players on the bench, which speaks volumes. If I'm not mistaken, it's DMac, Punto and Shoppach.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'll tell you what I don't want to see....stupid trades out of panic.  If this team isn't great then so be it, but there is a lot of talent here and they should be able to piece something together....I hope they keep on drafting young arms in the draft as they have done the last couple years...Ranaudo/Barnes/Wilson/Kelly etc etc. 

If this season doesn't get any better then it may turn into a year where the best we can do is cheer for personal accomplishments.  Top on my list:

1.) Bards progression as a starting pitcher
    2.) Doubronts progression as a starter
    3.) Middlebrooks progression as a 3B (and mine as well throw in all the other prospects.

I've particularly had my eye on Matt Barnes who after a promotion to high A still looked too advanced for that level.  If he is THIS good and continues to progress he will be in the rotation by 2014 and may even be ready for a call up late next year.

This past weekend took a huge toll on the team.  We got swept at home by the now (hurt as last year as well) first place Baltimore orioles.  And we lost two extra inning games that has killed our bullpen. 

Now it is up to the two young starters at the end of the rotation to not only pitch well...but realistically we need them to go deep into games.  While both have looked good they haven't exactly been efficient (correct me if I'm wrong but Bard was relatively efficient his last start)

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No, they should take their time and sort carefully through their trade options.  Leverage their situation as best as possible.  If you put guys on sale now, you could entertain offers for 2 1/2 months instead of waiting until the last minute and making a panic move..........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Isn't Doubront pitching tonight? I won't skip his start against the Royals if I were a manager.  He had pretty decent year so far as a fulltime SP , actually the best one until a week ago, right before he had rough outings last time he was up.  He can have this game to gain his confidence back.  I'll send down or trade Shop if possible and bring up Lavarnway and start him tonight against the lefty Sanchez.  Please don't start Shop tonite... plz..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

It seems rarer in this era that major league players get sent to the minors as much as they used to when they are struggling big time with the parent club, but getting some of these younger guys some work where there is less pressure might help them.

Buchholz and Saltalamacchia come immediately to mind to me.  Both guys are not performing anywhere near where they need to be at this time.  Three or four starts at Pawtucket can only help Buchholz before he becomes a total mental wreck.

Saltalamacchia just does not look good at all either on offense or defense.  He actually appears to have lost his focus on defense in the last week as he has made some terrible defensive plays lately.  He may be having trouble separating his offensive issues and his defensive responsibilities.

I am not putting the total blame for the team's terrible start on these two young guys because there are certainly many other guys who are not playing very well, but they need some help before they are lost completely.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

CT - +1, nice post.  Add Sweeney to your list IMO.

Harv - Given the consistent awfulness, I am all for sending Buch down to figure out his issues.  I don't know why they'd send Salty down at this point though.  He is not the catcher we want him to be but he's a decent enough as a cheap option.  More importantly, Lava isn't looking like an upgrade right now as he is struggling at the plate and I don't think we can count on him to be a better receiver.  Once Lava heats up I could get on board with promoting him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Worst time to make trades.....other teams not your desperate... your players values low....you are sure to have to give too much.....and what trade could they make that would assure them of being playoff contenders? Be patient....see if the Top starters(Beckett and Lester) can pitch like Aces.....see if Bard and Doubront can improve on their early performances through more experience.....see if Dice coming back can help.....see if the offense can be more consistent.....if not, start playing the young guys and make this the bridge year some think it is. If you get back in the race, a trade can be considered closer to the deadline, if you are out of it, you can get much better value for a Youk or a Beckett to a contender making a run for it. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

As long as Buchholtz goes down, way down, to me whomever comes up really does not matter, as they will be far better for the team than he is now, or ever will be again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Oh yes...I would definitely add Sweeney to that list.  I remember thinking of him as an after thought in the Bailey trade and as of right now he has been the best part of it.  I'm also curious to see how Aceves does this year and if he stays in the closer role all year...he just may have the stuff to start, actually I'd argue he does, but I think it would be a mistake to switch him and Bard at this point...

this may bring up a more intriguing question down the line...If Bard looks excellent as a starter then you will probably have more confidence in his durability and expect his pitch counts and innings to go up next year, so will it be time to move Aceves into the rotation next year??? as of right now I'd say yes.  Especially if Bailey returns healthy and Melancon regains his footing. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Aceves is looking good as a closer. I would say that , if he was a starter , he would be our ace. No pun intended. He has the best stuff on this staff.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sweeney is on the list of guys I would CONSIDER trading if I could get something of high value in return.  Otherwise, I am just as happy to keep him.  Remember, you can't hold onto all of your best players because then, well, who is going to want only the guys that you don't want?????????????  Gotta give up something good to get something perhaps even better......No one is gonna trade their ace for Carl Crawford!!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

agreed...he can hit 97 MPH.  Now I know velocity drops when you start, but who's to say Aceves isn't one of those studs whose body can grow strong enough pitching every 5 days to maintain velocity...

whether you agree or not just think about him throwing 95 MPH fastball mixed in with a 80 MPH change.

Sections
Shortcuts