Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here

If I were Ben I would talk with Aceves about an extension of his contract. My thought has been that "Ace" might be the most unusual closer in baseball in that he has a great repertoire of pitchers and he can pitch multiple innings in relief, and in succession. I would not suggest BV pitch him 3 Inn's tonight after throwing so many over the weekend. 

ctred---I think Aceves could accomplish just about anything he wishes--I hope they don't let him get away.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Aceves is one of those guys who I prefer to keep but would package in the right deal.  Again, he is going to much more attractive to a team than say Mark Oppie Melacon......and a team going no wheres does not need a closer.  Plus, we may have one next year after we give Bailey his customary year off on the Sox' dime......It's actually a clause in all Free Agents that go to Boston.  And if it's not it will have to be soon in order to attact guys to want to come here !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here:
    [QUOTE]Sweeney is on the list of guys I would CONSIDER trading if I could get something of high value in return.  Otherwise, I am just as happy to keep him.  Remember, you can't hold onto all of your best players because then, well, who is going to want only the guys that you don't want?????????????  Gotta give up something good to get something perhaps even better......No one is gonna trade their ace for Carl Crawford!!!!!!!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    Rare is the trade when two GM's get together and say, "Let's make this trade - it'll benefit BOTH of our teams!"  These GM's didn't get to be GM's by being pushovers.  ANYTIME a GM makes a trade he thinks he's getting the best end of it.

Translation:
    1)  Trading in a panic situation is always a bad idea.

2) There are always GM's out there to take advantage of you if you're willing to make a bad trade.

3)  If you think you want to make a trade sit back and wait a bit,  The season is young yet and your player's trade value isn't going to decrease much over the next month or two. The LAST thing you want to do is to get hornswoggled into trading away someone young who begins to hit a month after you trade him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]Ship both DSalty and Buchholz down to Pawtuckett, permanently! Then bring up Lavarnway and insert Padilla in the rotation or beg Wakefield to come back.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

Let's see... we need a pitcher woh can eat innings and a catcher, ideally one who could be a role model and a team leader right now. 

Didn't the Sox just "retire" a couple of players like that?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here : Rare is the trade when two GM's get together and say, "Let's make this trade - it'll benefit BOTH of our teams!"  These GM's didn't get to be GM's by being pushovers.  ANYTIME a GM makes a trade he thinks he's getting the best end of it. Translation: 1)  Trading in a panic situation is always a bad idea. 2) There are always GM's out there to take advantage of you if you're willing to make a bad trade. 3)  If you think you want to make a trade sit back and wait a bit,  The season is young yet and your player's trade value isn't going to decrease much over the next month or two. The LAST thing you want to do is to get hornswoggled into trading away someone young who begins to hit a month after you trade him.
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

I believe that is what I said - annouce you are willing to listen to offers and let the market develop and then carefully weigh your options; and do it now when you have time not the week before the deadline........Ben doesn't have to present offers he just needs to listen to them and then he can go back with a counter offer if he chooses too.  The only deal he needs to be proactive on is Crawford........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The only deal he needs to be proactive on is Crawford........

LMAO!

Cherry: Would you be interested in Carl Crawford, 100 million in cash, and the rights to bid, in less than 2 years, on the next Ted Williams?

Other Team GM: <ROF />

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Salty is dog tired, too many innings in the last week. He just needs couple days off. We need somebody, anybody to go 7 innings two days in a row and that will settle things down. 

Sox seem to play better on the road this year, so thats something to look forward to this week. I can't figure out the home mess at all. They've left so many people in scoring position and are not advacing runners. 

Anyway, I bought the cable package durring the winning steak so I stuck with these guys all year.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Salty is dog tired, too many innings in the last week. He just needs couple days off. We need somebody, anybody to go 7 innings two days in a row and that will settle things down.  Sox seem to play better on the road this year, so thats something to look forward to this week. I can't figure out the home mess at all. They've left so many people in scoring position and are not advacing runners.  Anyway, I bought the cable package durring the winning steak so I stuck with these guys all year.   
    Posted by proftom[/QUOTE]

LOL - how much was the package?  Are you talking Extra Innings?

Shoppach will certainly get the start tonight........

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Sorry mryaz--I missed your point...

He could be the "Ace" of the staff if they put him in the rotation--better than or comparable to Lester and Beckett--no doubt better than Buch and Douby--although Douby has some potential. I hope Bard can go 7 tomorrow--we need it desperately.

As far as trades--they work for me every day of the year--plant the trade seed today and get your own players thinking anythings possible.

Punto for a PTBNL--bring up Ciriaco ASAP. A team like the Philly's could use Punto--we could use a prospect to start restocking. DFA DMac before the end of the week--bring up Linares or Brentz from AA or Nava from the PawSox.

Those are two quiet moves that change the landscape of the team.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here : you know ACEVES is an ACE. you can't spell his name w/o it.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry mryaz--I missed your point... He could be the "Ace" of the staff if they put him in the rotation--better than or comparable to Lester and Beckett--no doubt better than Buch and Douby--although Douby has some potential. I hope Bard can go 7 tomorrow--we need it desperately. As far as trades--they work for me every day of the year--plant the trade seed today and get your own players thinking anythings possible. Punto for a PTBNL--bring up Ciriaco ASAP. A team like the Philly's could use Punto--we could use a prospect to start restocking. DFA DMac before the end of the week--bring up Linares or Brentz from AA or Nava from the PawSox. Those are two quiet moves that change the landscape of the team. In Response to Re: Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here :
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Interesting....I'm wondering if they would have been better off w/ Aceves in the rotation and Bard as the closer.  Gee - who woulda thunk that.....

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I wouldnt trade Sweetney yet.  He is becoming one of the top three OF's for the team this year.  Who know that Crawford will continue to struggles once he come back, and Byrd/Ross walk away from the team after this season.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The bullpen has been terrific for 13 straight games, so no changes there except maybe bringing up Melancon since everyone had to pitch yesterday.

Starters are lousy, but not immediate fix is apparent.  Wait for Cook, Beckett, and Matsuzaka to get well/ready.

Lineup ain't that great, but I see no big move available to help it.  Ellsbury and Youk are out, as is CC. 

I think it's too early to move Lavarnway up to replace Saltalamacchia.  Yes, he dropped a foul pop, but the Baltimore catcher had an easier one and didn't even get his glove on it. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I get it--sorry I missed it--good point.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here : sorry you missed my point; there was no point. i just commented that he has ACE in his name. just like LACKEY has LACK in his name and in his game. or that LESTER has less(close enough) in his name and he's been less than an ACE for quite a while.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

My concern about Sweeney is BV tries to avoid using him against lefthanders.
    When CC and Ells come back you will have two more LHanders--I would either like to see him bat and drive the ball to left and leftcenter agaist LHanders. Certainly batting .350 he is more likely to get on than DMac below the Mendoza Line.
    Ciriaco would certainly be more of a threat than DMac and Punto. Why they picked up Ciriaco to keep with the PawSox hitting .330 + and not getting a chance is beyond me.

[QUOTE]I wouldnt trade Sweetney yet.  He is becoming one of the top three OF's for the team this year.  Who know that Crawford will continue to struggles once he come back, and Byrd/Ross walk away from the team after this season.   
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

No need to speculate on what will happen when Craw and Ells come back.  There is ample time between now and then; likely, when it comes time to make a decision the correct decision will be obvious.

Let's stop saying if Lester, Beckett and Buchh have good years, we'll be fine and start saying that if Lester, Beckett and Bard have good years, we'll be fine.

We CANNOT take Bard out of the rotation.  We need a good #3 pitcher and he is it.

Question: are we committed to Andrew Miller as a pen option or could he spot start?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roster Moves Today - Place Your Thoughts Here : after he eats the innings, won't he be too full to eat the catcher?
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh yesss... the perils of poor punctuation. 

"Eats bushes and leaves" or "Eats bushes, and leaves"?  Cool

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Bring up Barnes! Quit wasting his time on the farm,trade Buchholz to some poor unsuspecting GM and sweeten the deal by tossing in Salty a six pack and some chicken wings...

Sections
Shortcuts