Roster questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

Roster questions

Yes it's early and there are moves to be made, but I find it interesting that people want to keep adding at this position and that position. And to impro0ve the team that makes a lot of sense.  But numbers do play a part and until the rosters are increased to say 30, there are going to be logjams unless the  Red Sox get rid of people.

They generally carry 12 picthers and 13 position players, though sometimes it will be 11 and 14.

Position Players:

1B Napoli

2B Pedroia

SS Iglesias

3B Middlebrooks

LF Gomes

CF Ellsbury

RF Victorino

C Saltalamacchia or Lavarnway

DH Ortiz

IF Ciriaco

OF Kalish

OF Nava

C Ross

That’s 13.  There is talk of bringing in another shortstop, another first baseman and maybe Cody Ross.  Something would have to give.  If they bring in another IF, do they get rid of Ciriaco or does he become the swing guy for IF and OF, thus making OK to have four OFs.  My guess is that Kalish is going to be given a chance to stick and might even platoon to start the season.  If they trade Ellsbury, that would open the door for Ross.  Nava is expendable and could be stashed at Pawtucket if necessary.  That extra first baseman??  Not sure how that would work.  Might make sense for one of the others like Gomes or Ross or even Ciriaco to “learn” the position.  If they carry 14, they presents the problem of who are the 11 pitchers?

We aren’t even talking about players coming up over the course of the season.  How far away is Brentz from getting  look in the majors.  Linares and Gomez are still around, but I am guessing their age works against them.  Bradley and Boegarts probably won’t see the bigs this year, but hey could come up in September and might be ready to roll in 14.

Pitchers

SP Lester

SP Buchholz

SP Lackey

SP Doubront

SP Morales

RP Breslow

RP Miller

RP Tazawa

RP Uehara

RP Aceves

RP Melancon

RP Bard

RP Bailey

That’s 13, one has to go to get to 12 and if they are looking to find a place for another position player, that means two.  Yes thy need to bring in a starter.  If that happens then Morales goes to the bullpen, but now someone else has to go.  Lackey is going to be on the team, like it or not.  They are not going to just give him away until they are convoinced he can’t do it.  They certainly need to find out whether surgery made a difference.  Get used to him!  Doubront is going to be given a chance to see build on last year and they are not going to give up on Lester or Buchholz any time soon.  Four are locks.  Cpi;d they use someone else?  Sure.  But are the ones we are talking about an improvement over a guy like Morales.  Clearly you want to have 6, 7 or even 8 starter possibilities. 

They just got Uehara and people seem to think that was a good move.  He’s on the team barring some crazy thing happening.  Breslow is set.  Tazawa was one of their best pitchers l;ast year and it appears his time has come.  I seriously doubt they will throw in the towel on Bailey or Melancon just yet.  They need to see what Bailey can do with a clean start and Melancon was pretty good in September.  Miller may have turned a corner and found his niche.  He certainly looked better last year.  Lefties who throw 97-98, you just don’t give away.  Plus they have invested a lot in him and I think they want to be beneficiaries if and when he “makes” it.  They are not going to give up on Bard just yet.  Farrell seems invested in getting him back to being the Bard of two years ago.  At 27, you don’t toss him aside.  Then there’s Aceves.  Sure he may have worn out his welcome, but the fact that they tendered him says they aren’tjust giving him away.  Is there a place for him?  Not sure.  But at the very least trade him.

Someone has to go, some way.  But who and how.  I think there are fans that would complain no matter who it is.  Then don’t forget, there are a couple more not mentioned above, especially Mortenson, who pitched pretty well last year.  Also guys like Carpenter and Beato who weren’t given many opportunities.  Alex Wilson is another.  And at some point, some of the kids  will be on their way up.  De la Rosa, Workman perhaps this year.  Webster, Barnes, Owens and maybe even Renaudo in 14.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Roster questions

In response to natepioneer1's comment:

Yes it's early and there are moves to be made, but I find it interesting that people want to keep adding at this position and that position. And to impro0ve the team that makes a lot of sense.  But numbers do play a part and until the rosters are increased to say 30, there are going to be logjams unless the  Red Sox get rid of people.

They generally carry 12 picthers and 13 position players, though sometimes it will be 11 and

Who said both Nava ana Kalish are on team ???

Position Players:

1B Napoli

2B Pedroia

SS Iglesias

3B Middlebrooks

LF Gomes

CF Ellsbury

RF Victorino

C Saltalamacchia or Lavarnway

DH Ortiz

IF Ciriaco

OF Kalish

OF Nava

C Ross

That’s 13.  There is talk of bringing in another shortstop, another first baseman and maybe Cody Ross.  Something would have to give.  If they bring in another IF, do they get rid of Ciriaco or does he become the swing guy for IF and OF, thus making OK to have four OFs.  My guess is that Kalish is going to be given a chance to stick and might even platoon to start the season.  If they trade Ellsbury, that would open the door for Ross.  Nava is expendable and could be stashed at Pawtucket if necessary.  That extra first baseman??  Not sure how that would work.  Might make sense for one of the others like Gomes or Ross or even Ciriaco to “learn” the position.  If they carry 14, they presents the problem of who are the 11 pitchers?

We aren’t even talking about players coming up over the course of the season.  How far away is Brentz from getting  look in the majors.  Linares and Gomez are still around, but I am guessing their age works against them.  Bradley and Boegarts probably won’t see the bigs this year, but hey could come up in September and might be ready to roll in 14.

Pitchers

SP Lester

SP Buchholz

SP Lackey

SP Doubront

SP Morales

RP Breslow

RP Miller

RP Tazawa

RP Uehara

RP Aceves

RP Melancon

RP Bard

RP Bailey

That’s 13, one has to go to get to 12 and if they are looking to find a place for another position player, that means two.  Yes thy need to bring in a starter.  If that happens then Morales goes to the bullpen, but now someone else has to go.  Lackey is going to be on the team, like it or not.  They are not going to just give him away until they are convoinced he can’t do it.  They certainly need to find out whether surgery made a difference.  Get used to him!  Doubront is going to be given a chance to see build on last year and they are not going to give up on Lester or Buchholz any time soon.  Four are locks.  Cpi;d they use someone else?  Sure.  But are the ones we are talking about an improvement over a guy like Morales.  Clearly you want to have 6, 7 or even 8 starter possibilities. 

They just got Uehara and people seem to think that was a good move.  He’s on the team barring some crazy thing happening.  Breslow is set.  Tazawa was one of their best pitchers l;ast year and it appears his time has come.  I seriously doubt they will throw in the towel on Bailey or Melancon just yet.  They need to see what Bailey can do with a clean start and Melancon was pretty good in September.  Miller may have turned a corner and found his niche.  He certainly looked better last year.  Lefties who throw 97-98, you just don’t give away.  Plus they have invested a lot in him and I think they want to be beneficiaries if and when he “makes” it.  They are not going to give up on Bard just yet.  Farrell seems invested in getting him back to being the Bard of two years ago.  At 27, you don’t toss him aside.  Then there’s Aceves.  Sure he may have worn out his welcome, but the fact that they tendered him says they aren’tjust giving him away.  Is there a place for him?  Not sure.  But at the very least trade him.

Someone has to go, some way.  But who and how.  I think there are fans that would complain no matter who it is.  Then don’t forget, there are a couple more not mentioned above, especially Mortenson, who pitched pretty well last year.  Also guys like Carpenter and Beato who weren’t given many opportunities.  Alex Wilson is another.  And at some point, some of the kids  will be on their way up.  De la Rosa, Workman perhaps this year.  Webster, Barnes, Owens and maybe even Renaudo in 14.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

As of right now, I'd say that Nava, Kalish, Lavarnaway, Melancon and Bard are all candidates to start the year in Pawtucket.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Iggy can also be send to AAA in 2013 to free up a spot as well as Lavarnway. Both are very possible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Well, one option is what I like to call the ole "jersey switch-a-roo". ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Great post...the answer to your query is the roster is still somewhat fluid my guess is that some will start the year in pawtucket while other likely will be traded...We still need a few pieces to round out the squad and with Napoli, Ross, Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway my guess is that Salty's on his way out of town (think White Sox?) and it wouldn't surprise me is Ellsbury's traded too...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

Well written and thought out Nate! I've been wondering about the same thing too. I'm thinking that Lavarnway, despite an unimpressive 2nd half, might be the one to go. The Mets, for one, need a RH catcher badly. Nava? - Send him to Dexter. - He'll know what to do with him.

Then, take a couple of questionable relief pitchers (Bard,Melancon,Mortenson,Beato,Wilson - type) and take em out to the woodshed, er, trade market and exchange them for a nice utility player. Hmmm - How about that dude in the Cincy farm system who stole like 200 bases last year? (Forgot his name,sorry). - Yeah, that's the ticket!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

As of right now, I'd say that Nava, Kalish, Lavarnaway, Melancon and Bard are all candidates to start the year in Pawtucket.

If they add more players, that would probably be the way they would go.  I seriously hope they don't cut these guys loose

Nava, while not a star by any means is a solid extra outfielder, who probably can deal with being just that.  Probably worth more to the rRed Sox than anything they could get for him.

Kalish, yes he didn't do much last year, but the potential is there.  They chose to keep him rather than Reddick, because of a bigger upside.  They need to see that through. 

Lavarnway, send him down only if they can't make a worthwhile trade for him or Salty.  Not sure he is going to get much better down there.

Melancon, might be worthwile to "store" him at Pawtucket and bring him up as soon as someone goes down.  They need to see if he he can be what they thought he would be, at least for a little while.

Bard, depends upon how this rebuilding of him and his confidence go.  If he gets it back together in spring training, there is no reason for him not to be on the big club.  When he is right, we know how good he can be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Strangeglove's comment:

Well written and thought out Nate! I've been wondering about the same thing too. I'm thinking that Lavarnway, despite an unimpressive 2nd half, might be the one to go. The Mets, for one, need a RH catcher badly. Nava? - Send him to Dexter. - He'll know what to do with him.

Then, take a couple of questionable relief pitchers (Bard,Melancon,Mortenson,Beato,Wilson - type) and take em out to the woodshed, er, trade market and exchange them for a nice utility player. Hmmm - How about that dude in the Cincy farm system who stole like 200 bases last year? (Forgot his name,sorry). - Yeah, that's the ticket!

I think if you even asked Walt Jocketty about trading Billy Hamilton he'd probably laugh you out of his office.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Iggy can also be send to AAA in 2013 to free up a spot as well as Lavarnway. Both are very possible.

At some point, they have to see what Iglesias can do in the majors.  Sometimes guys do bupkas in the minors and get it together the more they see major league pitching.  He did improve in AAA over the course of the year.  The big question is whether they can carry a potentially weak bat with the lineup.  At the end of the season, clearly no.  But there was no Papi and Middlebrooks in the lineup and Salty was doing his late season swoon.  Ortiz and Middlebrooks will be back; Pedroia will have had more time to recuperate; Salty will be starting fresh or Lavarnway will hopefully hit as expected.  Two weeks ago, I wasn't so sure, now with Gomes, Napoli and Victorino, the line up is actually pretty solid.  Remember, as bad as they were last year, they still hit in the top 5.

My belief is that with the moves, the likelihood of Iggy starting is greatly enhanced.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Great post...the answer to your query is the roster is still somewhat fluid my guess is that some will start the year in pawtucket while other likely will be traded...We still need a few pieces to round out the squad and with Napoli, Ross, Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway my guess is that Salty's on his way out of town (think White Sox?) and it wouldn't surprise me is Ellsbury's traded too...

Even though they won't say so, getting Victorino makes them a lot more flexible as to whether they trade Ellsbury.  You can't just give him away though.  If they do, then Ross for 2 years could be good.  That also leaves room for Kalish to take a prominent role.  Brentz is not far away.  A good ST might make them take notice.  Then no need to hurry Bradley, but hey if he is ready by August and tearing it up. Who knows?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to natepioneer1's comment:

Even though they won't say so, getting Victorino makes them a lot more flexible as to whether they trade Ellsbury.  You can't just give him away though.  If they do, then Ross for 2 years could be good.  That also leaves room for Kalish to take a prominent role.  Brentz is not far away.  A good ST might make them take notice.  Then no need to hurry Bradley, but hey if he is ready by August and tearing it up. Who knows?

I wouldn't count the Sox out of the Josh Hamilton sweepstakes just yet either. If the market for him actually settles in at 3 years Ben just might blow everyone else away on AAV of the contract. And the Sox do still need a LH bat...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

I think if you even asked Walt Jocketty about trading Billy Hamilton he'd probably laugh you out of his office.

Rats. Thought I had something there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It was a good thought. I was thinking it myself last summer. That kid Hamilton is very very good. Actually though, if we were going do a deal with Cincinatti I'd rather see something like Ells and Salty for Corcino, Cingrani and Chad Rogers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It was a good thought. I was thinking it myself last summer. That kid Hamilton is very very good. Actually though, if we were going do a deal with Cincinatti I'd rather see something like Ells and Salty for Corcino, Cingrani and Chad Rogers.

Yeah, I want one or two of their pitching prospects

Sections
Shortcuts