Roy Oswalt to make announcement today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Roy Oswalt to make announcement today

He doesn't really want to pitch in Boston and St. Louis as well as Texas have their starters set.My guess is that he's going to wait a couple of months to take over a roster spot for an injured or underperforming player on a team he wants to play for.
    From ESPNBoston.com:

Bob Garber, the agent for pitcher Roy Oswalt, said Oswalt will make an announcement Thursday, but would not disclose the nature of the news.

Boston Red Sox sources said they did not know what Oswalt was planning to do, although one source said they still have interest in him.

Oswalt also has been linked to the Texas Rangers and St. Louis Cardinals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Roy Oswalt to make announcement today

Everybody needs a pitcher like Oswalt, not.

I should ad that Oswalt would make a great one year addition to the staff but man he doesn't want to be here so that is a negative, a bIg negative.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Not coming to Sox, who cares what he's doing. Unless he signs with the Yankees.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I would say he's going to pitch for the Cardinals next season.  If he doesn't want to come to Boston and pitch with the best offense on his back, then he will probably end up going to the NL Central which just lost Pujols, Fielder, and Braun for almost 1/3 of the season. 

He's old and became coward..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Roy Oswalt to make announcement today:
    [QUOTE]I would say he's going to pitch for the Cardinals next season.  If he doesn't want to come to Boston and pitch with the best offense on his back, then he will probably end up going to the NL Central which just lost Pujols, Fielder, and Braun for almost 1/3 of the season.  He's old and became coward..
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Is Oswalt really good enough to be this picky about where he pitches?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Everybody needs a pitcher like Oswalt, not. I should ad that Oswalt would make a great one year addition to the staff but man he doesn't want to be here so that is a negative, a bIg negative.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

While I am not high on oswalt, I think being here wouldn't negatively effect him. He's going to want have a great year, so he can cash in next winter.

I'd offer him $4.5M with easy GS or IP incentives to get him to $5.5M, and harder ones that could bring him to $7.5M tops. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

does this guy think he is LeBron?

i wanted to him badly but this whole thing reeks...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Good.  I'm glad he's not coming here.  An oft-injured career-NL pitcher coming to the AL East is a recipe for disaster.  At least the guy knows his limits. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roy Oswalt to make announcement today : Is Oswalt really good enough to be this picky about where he pitches?
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

Seems he has enough money banked to be picky. If healthy, he is good enough. 15 game winner potential in the AL East if healthy....I keep hearing Yankees lack of interest is due to the fact they feel he cannot pass the physical.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roy Oswalt to make announcement today : Is Oswalt really good enough to be this picky about where he pitches?
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

If the pitcher was good, then he doesn't have to be picky since no teams will leave him alone.  He just has to pick the team with the best offer.  But Oswalt doesn't have that luxury right now.  That's why he's being picky.

NEW UPDATE:
    CBSSports.com tweeted that "At this point, he's not going to the Rangers or the Red Sox."
    I wish we would have scheduled to play the Cards this year in the interleague games and Oswalt pitching against the Sox. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If I were him I would have jumped at the chance to pitch in Detroit. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

They are saying Jon Heyman that the Red Sox are not in the running. We need another starter, they should get him and then take chances with Bard as the 5th guy or any of the "throways" Young Ben picked up. If the experiment with Bard fails he can go back to bullpen as a setup guy and the team will be very strong in the bullpen area. I believe we have the money from the Scuttaro deal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]They are saying Jon Heyman that the Red Sox are not in the running. We need another starter, they should get him and then take chances with Bard as the 5th guy or any of the "throways" Young Ben picked up. If the experiment with Bard fails he can go back to bullpen as a setup guy and the team will be very strong in the bullpen area. I believe we have the money from the Scuttaro deal.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

It's not about just going and "getting him". Various reports state that he doesn't want to play in beantowne.

Can't say I blame him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Roy Oswalt to make announcement today": [QUOTE]They are saying Jon Heyman that the Red Sox are not in the running. We need another starter, they should get him and then take chances with Bard as the 5th guy or any of the "throways" Young Ben picked up. If the experiment with Bard fails he can go back to bullpen as a setup guy and the team will be very strong in the bullpen area. I believe we have the money from the Scuttaro deal. Posted by AL34[/QUOTE] The guy doesn't want to pitch here. You can't just "get him." Bard will be in rotation to start the season unless he gets injured. Doubront, Cook, Aceves and Padilla are the likely leaders to grab the 5th spot. All 4 have better stuff than your typical 5th starter. I think the Sox feel confident that at least one of these guys can emerge. They have several lesser options as well. Barring injury, I don't see them bringing in another starter at this point...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Another situation where posters (no names but I am sure someone) will bash the RS for not signing him.  He doesn't want to be here and has that option,So....don't come here.  I can't imagine why anyone who is looking for 1 good year to get a larger payday in the next would come to the AL East anyway.  Stay in the NL, its the only way he will get anywhere near what he wants.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

There should not be any complaints about the Sox not signing him. If he doesn't want to play here then we don't want him here. It is pointless signing a pitcher who would be counting the days until he can leave and sign somewhere else next year.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]did oswalt really say that he didn't want to play in boston or did he say that he didn't want to play in boston for 5 mill not always the case but the ole '' money talks BS walks '' still has merit
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

That may very well be true but it's not like the sawx can throw a boatload of $ at him if they intend to stay under the cap like they have claimed to want to do.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I don't want Oswalt either.  He doesn't have guts to pick a team he will pitch for next season even now that other pitchers have already reported to ST and training for coming season.  He's old and has injury history and already late for his ST. 

BUT, I kind of understand why AL34 is still hoping Oswalt to come to Boston.  Oswalt never said he doesn't want to pitch for the Red Sox and many analysts are saying Sox are still in the running for Oswalt even though it seems unlikely.  If Sox were to add $2-3MM on top of what Ben offered earlier, Oswalt would come.  And If you have 2-time 20 games winner in your rotation as 4th starter, it won't be too bad. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]I don't want Oswalt either.  He doesn't have guts to pick a team he will pitch for next season even now that other pitchers have already reported to ST and training for coming season.  He's old and has injury history and already late for his ST.  BUT, I kind of understand why AL34 is still hoping Oswalt to come to Boston.  Oswalt never said he doesn't want to pitch for the Red Sox and many analysts are saying Sox are still in the running for Oswalt even though it seems unlikely.  If Sox were to add $2-3MM on top of what Ben offered earlier, Oswalt would come.  And If you have 2-time 20 games winner in your rotation as 4th starter, it won't be too bad. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

So you are saying that having a #4 starter with no guts is a positive?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Update from MLBTraderumors.com:

24. Cardinals GM John Mozeliak insists Oswalt "will not be pitching for the Cardinals," according to Strauss (on Twitter).

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Roy Oswalt to make announcement today": [QUOTE]I don't want Oswalt either.  He doesn't have guts to pick a team he will pitch for next season even now that other pitchers have already reported to ST and training for coming season.  He's old and has injury history and already late for his ST.  BUT, I kind of understand why AL34 is still hoping Oswalt to come to Boston.  Oswalt never said he doesn't want to pitch for the Red Sox and many analysts are saying Sox are still in the running for Oswalt even though it seems unlikely.  If Sox were to add $2-3MM on top of what Ben offered earlier, Oswalt would come.  And If you have 2-time 20 games winner in your rotation as 4th starter, it won't be too bad.  Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE] You should never come out and say "you don't want to pitch for a particular team," as it reduces leverage, but the writing is on the wall. He is no longer a "20 game" winner and he may or may not be able to pass a physical. If they could sign him for a contract similar to what Moon suggested, maybe take a flier, but I don't see it happening at all...

• This post has been removed.

• Sections
    Shortcuts