Roy Oswalt to Red Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Roy Oswalt to Red Sox?

Phillies bought out his contract. He would be a nice fit in Boston?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Roy Oswalt to Red Sox?

He might be interesting if we could get him on a one or two year deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Yeah, great fit for about 8 starts, then his back goes out like Buch, then they could both stay at Fenway to rehab with Youk and Lackey in the bowels of the Fenway facility rather than a state of the art facility where true and healthy rehab can occur. At least Youk with his .250 BA would be happy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Roy Oswalt to Red Sox?:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, great fit for about 8 starts, then his back goes out like Buch, then they could both stay at Fenway to rehab with Youk and Lackey in the bowels of the Fenway facility rather than a state of the art facility where true and healthy rehab can occur. At least Youk with his .250 BA would be happy.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Was there a mouse turd in your oatmeal this morning?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roy Oswalt to Red Sox? : Was there a mouse turd in your oatmeal this morning?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]
    Nope, just calling them the way I see 'em.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Oswalt is a pretty good starter , but he has a lot of mileage and maybe is a little overrated.  I would not spend too much on him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

He would be a good fit in the Sox organization.  They have to get a Lackey replacement and at least he has a really great successful track record.  He won't be any more than he was in his Phillie roll 3rd and more likely 4th starter but could be what the Sox need.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Don't see it happening due to cost and age...My guess is he ends up back in Houston or St. Louis? Doubtful that he'd want to pitch in the AL East...To me the question that begs to be asked and answered is how close is Ranaundo?

Born: September 9, 1989
    Jackson, NJ
    Height : 6-7
    Weight: 230
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    Drafted: 1st round, 2010;
    11th round, 2007 by  Texas
    How Acquired: Draft
    College: LSU
    High School: St. Rose HS (NJ)
    ETA: Mid-2013

Scouting Report: Was considered the top pitcher in the entire draft class and the second-best overall draft prospect heading into the 2010 season after going 12-3 with a 3.04 ERA and striking out 159 batters in 124.1 innings in 2009, on the way to leading LSU to a national championship. Fell to Red Sox due to forearm injury. Highly projectable arm with frame to withstand the rigors of starting at the professional level. High 3/4 arm slot. Plus fastball sits 91-93 MPH and tops out at 95 MPH. Projection to add sitting velocity as he matures. Generates downward action via strong leverage from frame. Average-to-better fastball command. Can open shoulder early, which leads to reduced command in spells. Improving pace and balance with delivery. 76-79 MPH hammer curveball grades as plus. Tight rotation and excellent depth through the strike zone. Able to bury out of the strike zone or drop it in for a strike. Outstanding feel for his curveball. Future swing and miss pitch at major league level. Fringe-average low-80s changeup. Shows feel and good arm speed with the offering, but does not have full trust in it. Needs to work it more into sequences as he approaches the upper levels of the organization. Improving stamina and mound presence. Still learning to incorporate lower half into pitching mechanics. High ceiling. #2/#3 starter projection at major league level.

MLB Comparison: Chris Carpenter

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Don't see it happening due to cost and age...My guess is he ends up back in Houston or St. Louis? Doubtful that he'd want to pitch in the AL East...To me the question that begs to be asked and answered is how close is Ranaundo? Age : 22 Born : September 9, 1989 Jackson, NJ Height : 6-7 Weight : 230 Bats : Right Throws : Right Drafted : 1st round, 2010; 11th round, 2007 by  Texas How Acquired: Draft College: LSU High School: St. Rose HS (NJ) ETA: Mid-2013 Scouting Report : Was considered the top pitcher in the entire draft class and the second-best overall draft prospect heading into the 2010 season after going 12-3 with a 3.04 ERA and striking out 159 batters in 124.1 innings in 2009, on the way to leading LSU to a national championship. Fell to Red Sox due to forearm injury. Highly projectable arm with frame to withstand the rigors of starting at the professional level. High 3/4 arm slot. Plus fastball sits 91-93 MPH and tops out at 95 MPH. Projection to add sitting velocity as he matures. Generates downward action via strong leverage from frame. Average-to-better fastball command. Can open shoulder early, which leads to reduced command in spells. Improving pace and balance with delivery. 76-79 MPH hammer curveball grades as plus. Tight rotation and excellent depth through the strike zone. Able to bury out of the strike zone or drop it in for a strike. Outstanding feel for his curveball. Future swing and miss pitch at major league level. Fringe-average low-80s changeup. Shows feel and good arm speed with the offering, but does not have full trust in it. Needs to work it more into sequences as he approaches the upper levels of the organization. Improving stamina and mound presence. Still learning to incorporate lower half into pitching mechanics. High ceiling. #2/#3 starter projection at major league level. MLB Comparison : Chris Carpenter
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]I think he didn't have a very good year in A ball, so my guess would be at least 2 or 3 years away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

[QUOTE]He would be a good fit in the Sox organization.  They have to get a Lackey replacement and at least he has a really great successful track record.  He won't be any more than he was in his Phillie roll 3rd and more likely 4th starter but could be what the Sox need.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

He also like to drink beer in the clubhouse, perfect for the sox rotation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

If he brings along "shrimps" and blackened cat-fish, dey be handin' him de beers lef n raght.

Don't be thinkin' dat crawfish be a good ldee in New England.

'nless dem Acadians like it up in noth, in Maine n Canada, you know.

Ranuando, I be meanin'.

He be like Chris Carpenter?  l like dat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Ranaudo should start in Portland this year. If he does well, we could see him in Boston sometime during the 2013 season. Same with Brentz.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I don't think spending $10 M on an injury prone guy like Oswalt would be financially responsible however if you bring along Doubrount and Wilson as potentially 5 th and 6 th starters he might be a good guy as the #4 to give them positive reinforcement.

I think I might look for someone a little less expensive--I'd rather spend the money on Madson or Heath Bell and someone that could be a good setup guy to go with Jenks and Bard.

What's wrong with a rotation comprised of:
    Aceves, Lester, Buch, Doubrount, Wilson, Beckett( or somone acquired in trade for Beckett) or  a FA to take Beckett's place. I still have a feeling ZamBran is coming our way for Theo-that wouldn't be the worst Comp.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Don't see it happening due to cost and age...My guess is he ends up back in Houston or St. Louis? Doubtful that he'd want to pitch in the AL East...To me the question that begs to be asked and answered is how close is Ranaundo? Age : 22 Born : September 9, 1989 Jackson, NJ Height : 6-7 Weight : 230 Bats : Right Throws : Right Drafted : 1st round, 2010; 11th round, 2007 by  Texas How Acquired: Draft College: LSU High School: St. Rose HS (NJ) ETA: Mid-2013 Scouting Report : Was considered the top pitcher in the entire draft class and the second-best overall draft prospect heading into the 2010 season after going 12-3 with a 3.04 ERA and striking out 159 batters in 124.1 innings in 2009, on the way to leading LSU to a national championship. Fell to Red Sox due to forearm injury. Highly projectable arm with frame to withstand the rigors of starting at the professional level. High 3/4 arm slot. Plus fastball sits 91-93 MPH and tops out at 95 MPH. Projection to add sitting velocity as he matures. Generates downward action via strong leverage from frame. Average-to-better fastball command. Can open shoulder early, which leads to reduced command in spells. Improving pace and balance with delivery. 76-79 MPH hammer curveball grades as plus. Tight rotation and excellent depth through the strike zone. Able to bury out of the strike zone or drop it in for a strike. Outstanding feel for his curveball. Future swing and miss pitch at major league level. Fringe-average low-80s changeup. Shows feel and good arm speed with the offering, but does not have full trust in it. Needs to work it more into sequences as he approaches the upper levels of the organization. Improving stamina and mound presence. Still learning to incorporate lower half into pitching mechanics. High ceiling. #2/#3 starter projection at major league level. MLB Comparison : Chris Carpenter
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I believe his ETA isnt til 2014...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Ranaudo should start in Portland this year. If he does well, we could see him in Boston sometime during the 2013 season. Same with Brentz.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Ive been a big Brentz fan and still believe he will be a big part of the RS future..He tore through A-ball and should be in AA this year...both ETA's are about 2014..I could see both make an appearance in 2013 though..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No, I dont think Oswalt will do good in the ALE...Just MHO...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Roy Oswalt to Red Sox?:
    [QUOTE]Phillies bought out his contract. He would be a nice fit in Boston?
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Not that I ever want to see any player injured but I was happy to see Lackey won't be in our rotation next season.  Oswalt is injury prone and has never pitched in the AL, not sure I like him as a choice.  CJ Wilson, Buehrle, Wang are just a few guys that could help us out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Not on Big Ben's mind.  Roy's not a buy-low aquisition..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

It definitely isn't a bad idea.  If it is a short-term contract and doesn't cost too much.  He is probably a much better option than many other pitchers that are available. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Ben isnt going to go after a pitcher who have an injury history after he saw Dice K being out for a half of a season next year and Lackey just recently being out of the season.  Beckett, Lester and Bucholtz all also have missed starts in past two years.  Forget it man!!

Plus Oswalt have been making over 10 million dollars a year in past many year.  He isnt going to take a discount.    He would probably still demand a contract that pay him more than 10 million dollars a year and also for at least for two or three years.  He is too risky to sign!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In the case of Oswalt, it is going to matter what his demands are, since he is going to get a dcent amount of attention and probably won't be seeking a long term deal, but won't turn one down, either.

I'd think he'd prefer the NL over the AL, but that is just conjecture on my part.

Bottom line is the Sox need 2 starting pitchers for next season at a minimum. They might be able to get one internally.  But are there 2 options?  Switching both Bard and Aceves o the rotation has 2 flaws.  First, it severelt weakens the bullpen,  and second, neither has enough experience as a starter to alleviate any fears about how good or bad they will be as the innings pile up...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Red Sox need to stop signing over thirty pitchers with significant injuries whose upside is limited. We have all the Lackey's, Wakefield's and Dice-K's we need thank you.  Stop thinking like the Yankees and let's find some talent.  This more than anything is the Red Sox problem the last few years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I am not sure the Sox need another 34 yr old pitcher. It sounds more like a bandaid solution. How about they give some of the kids a chance to pitch. All year they could try out their younger pitchers to see who may have what it takes to pitch in the bigs. At some point, the Sox have to find some younger pitchers who can get the job done.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

for the right price I would love Oswalt. Good pitchers who stay healthy can pitch very well into their late 30's......still I would be uneasy about a long term deal with such a player, maybe a short term contract, or an incentive filled contract.  Let's also consider there are other options on the market this year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

You don't have in-season tryouts for a host of rookie pitchers if you are in a market like Boston, at least not if you want to keep your job. 

The Sox need three starters, IMO.  One to replace Lackey (#4), one to replace Bedard/Wake (#5), and one in reserve (you always need at least a 6th starter).  If Wake is brought back he can be the one in reserve, along with Doubront.  But I think Wake may be gone.

Aceves can be the one to replace Lackey.  But the Sox brass needs to bring in two or three buy low acquisitions to be the #5 guy and fight for the #6 role, as well.  Wang, Harden, Buerhle perhaps.  Matsuzaka may return in July or August to help. Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Aceves, Wang/Buehrle/Doubront. Not too shabby.

Then the Sox need to replace Papelbon, Aceves, A. Miller and Albers in the bullpen.  If they retain Morales and bring back Wheeler then they need about four arms to fight for two spots.  Heath Bell and Ryan Madson can be brought in to fight for the closer's spot with Bard for about what Oswalt will cost, IMO. Bell, Bard, Madson, Jenks, Morales, Wheeler, Bowden/Tazawa/Atchison/Doubront/T. Miller. Not bad. Hill may come back in July or August to help out, too.

Sections
Shortcuts