Royals listening to offers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Royals listening to offers

i would definetly take hosmer or butler, i like them both, but i would say hosmer is slightly more interesting, he is 23, nearly won a gold glove this year, and has huge potential. exactly the kind of guy the sox need. the royals need pitching, i would offer doubront or de la rosa for hosmer. butler would also be good, would take him in a heart beat. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Aren't the Royals the Yankees' minor league team? How did they get away with that for so long?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

...Butler's the only fit....

Remember when I told you VMart would be the 12th to 16th best hitting 1Bman in MLB way back when?

You asked me to list the 12-15 guys better than VMart.

One was Butler. You called him a "bum".

I don't expect an admission that I was right and you were wrong (again), but I am now awaiting a crafty spin job or blatant lie.

FYI: Butler: He's "elite" vs LHPs at 1.036 in 2012.

Contract:  13:$8M, 14:$8M, 15:$12.5M club option ($1M buyout)

I'd offer : Webster, Brentz, Owens for Butler immediately.  Butler would be a monster add. 

KC is pretty loaded with prospects. There has to comea point where they look to make a challenge.

Butler is really more a DH type, and when compared to Napoli, at least Mike can catch (or pretend to) at NL parks so Papi can play 1B.

Good point.  And if we went w/ Naps over Bulter, we can also use the prospects that would have been flipped for Butler to make a run at Stanton or JUPP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

KC is pretty loaded with prospects. There has to comea point where they look to make a challenge.

Butler is really more a DH type, and when compared to Napoli, at least Mike can catch (or pretend to) at NL parks so Papi can play 1B.

[/QUOTE]

Good point.  And if we went w/ Naps over Bulter, we can also use the prospects that would have been flipped for Butler to make a run at Stanton or JUPP.

The more I think about it, the more I am seeing the Sox signing Napoli and trading Salty. I just don't see us getting Hamilton or both Napoli & Hamilton. (Napoli and J Upton maybe, but where's the pitching coming from?)

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i would definetly take hosmer or butler, i like them both, but i would say hosmer is slightly more interesting, he is 23, nearly won a gold glove this year, and has huge potential. exactly the kind of guy the sox need. the royals need pitching, i would offer doubront or de la rosa for hosmer. butler would also be good, would take him in a heart beat. 

I like to see the Sox get the young Hosner and propsect Wil Myers -  Salty Morales and Sweeney to start the talks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

The more I think about it, the more I am seeing the Sox signing Napoli and trading Salty. I just don't see us getting Hamilton or both Napoli & Hamilton. (Napoli and J Upton maybe, but where's the pitching coming from?)

I honestly think that our pitching, as currently constructed is going to be miles better than it was last year.  If you take away Buchholz awful start , he was a borderline #1.  The stuff is there.  Between Lester and Buchholz, I think one will be a true #1.  I cant believe Im saying this but I think Lackey will be a big add.  I can see a 15-10 season with a 4.12 ERA.  For the AL East, thats a good pitcher.  I'm high on De La Rosa.  The guy throws 97 as a starter and is coming back from Tommy John.  You are healthier after coming back from Tommy John than you were before you were hurt.  I think Doubie will take a step forward.  I was never his biggest fan, but K's/9 is a great indicator of "stuff."  Doubie's K/9 was extremely impressive.

I know how odd this sounds considering last year, but I dont think our pitching is in that bad of shape.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I honestly think that our pitching, as currently constructed is going to be miles better than it was last year.  If you take away Buchholz awful start , he was a borderline #1.  The stuff is there.  Between Lester and Buchholz, I think one will be a true #1.  I cant believe Im saying this but I think Lackey will be a big add.  I can see a 15-10 season with a 4.12 ERA.  For the AL East, thats a good pitcher.  I'm high on De La Rosa.  The guy throws 97 as a starter and is coming back from Tommy John.  You are healthier after coming back from Tommy John than you were before you were hurt.  I think Doubie will take a step forward.  I was never his biggest fan, but K's/9 is a great indicator of "stuff."  Doubie's K/9 was extremely impressive.

I know how odd this sounds considering last year, but I dont think our pitching is in that bad of shape.

While everything you stated here could happen, asking it all to happen at once is just too much for me to accept. Last winter, I caught a lot of grief for saying we should not count on all of the big 3 perform well and stay healthy all year. We needed a #1/2 slot starter. As it turned out, none of the 3 stayed healthy and pitched consistently well all year.

I see it close to 50-50 on Lester and Buch, so maybe the odds are that one will pitch like a number 1 (a top 30 MLB starter). The other may pitch like a #3 or worse.

I like Lackey to rebound as well, but to count on him to do it, is extreme wishful thinking.

While Doubront's K/9 rate was fanatstic (9.3), but that 4.0 BB/9 rate was horrible. His 1.45 WHIP is awful. He does have promise, but again, counting on him to improve is a huge gamble.

Between Morales, Tazawa, Mortensen, de la Rosa, and Webster, maybe someone can step up to cover for one of the above who falters, but I still think we need to upgrade near the top of the rotation. If we could get an ace or solid #2 slot starter, it would move Lester to the 3 slot, lackey to 4, and the rest to fight it out for the 5 slot.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

While everything you stated here could happen, asking it all to happen at once is just too much for me to accept. Last winter, I caught a lot of grief for saying we should not count on all of the big 3 perform well and stay healthy all year. We needed a #1/2 slot starter. As it turned out, none of the 3 stayed healthy and pitched consistently well all year.

I see it close to 50-50 on Lester and Buch, so maybe the odds are that one will pitch like a number 1 (a top 30 MLB starter). The other may pitch like a #3 or worse.

I like Lackey to rebound as well, but to count on him to do it, is extreme wishful thinking.

While Doubront's K/9 rate was fanatstic (9.3), but that 4.0 BB/9 rate was horrible. His 1.45 WHIP is awful. He does have promise, but again, counting on him to improve is a huge gamble.

Between Morales, Tazawa, Mortensen, de la Rosa, and Webster, maybe someone can step up to cover for one of the above who falters, but I still think we need to upgrade near the top of the rotation. If we could get an ace or solid #2 slot starter, it would move Lester to the 3 slot, lackey to 4, and the rest to fight it out for the 5 slot.

I dont think counting on Doubie to improve is a huge gamble. The BB rate went up because he started to get tired after pitching the most innings in his career. he finished very strong after a bit of a rest. Very strong.

•  

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I dont think counting on Doubie to improve is a huge gamble. The BB rate went up because he started to get tired after pitching the most innings in his career. he finished very strong after a bit of a rest. Very strong.

He was out of condition in 2011, and one would think he'd have worked on that last winter. The 161 IP should not have hurt him badly, in fact, look at the numbers:

April/May 56 IP/243 PA  24 BB (3.9 BB/9)

June/July 57.1 IP/250 PA  22 BB  (3.5 BB/9)

Aug/Sept  47.2 IP/216 PA  25 BB  (4.7 BB/9)

While his rate did rise at the end, it was still horrible early and in the middle of the year.

In 196.1 career IP in MLB, Felix is at 4.86   1.477. 

Sorry, counting on him to vastly improve on these numbers is a huge gamble.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

He's a better option than your pipe dream of VMart, or your Loney/Gomez platoon joke.

Butler's not an option on a buy at all-time high, stooge. I'm the only one on this board that puts an end to the general pipe dream no detail nonsense. I have VMart as trade option one, then Napoli on a 2 year base 10 offer, then the platoon as the last option.

I always have to call you out! Now, stooge, provide the details on your 1st base plans for 2013! Right now! And none of this "Morneau" name nonsense. The details on trading for Morneau.

You do a lot of posting, but you are a lot of general nonsense, which was evident with your stupid pipe dream about a 2M 2012 marekt for Tim Wastefield.

If he's " a lot of general nonsense" why do you keep harping on the same thing about Wakefield, which not even you could argue would have made the team any worse last year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I would agree with you with taking a trade to get Hosner and Wil Myers. After reading the article on the globe today regarding Cherington plans. The messeage that I comprehend from this is Ben is thinking more along making the sox a competitor for years instead of a overnight fix. 

Hosner would be better trade for a long term deal and getting the kid Myers is worth the gamble.

Ped is working on getting a contract extension to secure the second base problem. Middlebrooks will be in his sophmore year along with Isglesias at short. Maybe Hosner along with Sands can share 1st base duties and Sands spend time in the outfield.

Personally I am hoping that Cody Ross will be a Red Sox for at least three years.

Along with Boagerts, Bradley, Brentz along with other prospects will keep the high expectations for Sox's fans in the future.

Middlebrooks 3B Isglesias SS Ped 2B and Hosner/Sands 1B can be great future infield.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Royals did not make the playoffs since 1985.  

Damn,...........that s*cks.  LOL

... Ben is thinking more along making the sox a competitor for years instead of a overnight fix. ...

Exactly what he should be thinking, hence the incentive to trade Ellsbury and any other FAs to be this winter.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

I like to see the Sox get the young Hosner and propsect Wil Myers -  Salty Morales and Sweeney to start the talks.

Can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not...

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to boborielly224's comment:

Can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not...

I had to chuckle. I do think KC might be looking to trade to get better now instead of always looking forward. They are loaded with top prospects now, and don't want more, or at least they shouldn't. It might be time for them to want ML ready players now: maybe Doubront, Morales, Lava, and Aceves might peak their interest as a start, but I don't pretend to know the direction KC is wanting to go right now.

He was out of condition in 2011, and one would think he'd have worked on that last winter. The 161 IP should not have hurt him badly, in fact, look at the numbers:

While his rate did rise at the end, it was still horrible early and in the middle of the year.

He came into camp in 2012 looking very fit. Yes, he messed up the year before but changed things around greatly in 2012. That set him back a little. I think we can expect 180+ innings from Doubie in 2013. Hes a big kid, and if he pays attention to his fitness, he can be an innings eater with swing and miss stuff...Thats entirely up to him though. The potential is there.

•  

He came into camp in 2012 looking very fit. Yes, he messed up the year before but changed things around greatly in 2012. That set him back a little. I think we can expect 180+ innings from Doubie in 2013. Hes a big kid, and if he pays attention to his fitness, he can be an innings eater with swing and miss stuff...Thats entirely up to him though. The potential is there.

I have never disputed Doubie's potential, in fact I predicted great things from him in 2011. Perhaps, his disappointing lack of conditioning that year is clouding my judgement, but when a player has been given a chance to make it in the bigs like he has, but squanders it by coming to camp out of shape, a giant red flag goes up in my mind. Giant. Red. Flag.

I am not giving up on Doubront just because I am saying we should trade him now. I think other GMs know about his great potential, and will give us something good in return. Let them take on the risk of his lack of full strength desire to be the best he can be.

We can't get great players via trades without giving up some good ones of our own. The Royals want ML ready pitching. They can not afford to sign guys like A. Sanchez, Marcum or McCarthy like we can. We can replace Doubront via free agency while adding to our salary budget. This is why I think we can make a deal with KC (and other teams like Oakland as well- see my B Anderson pleas.)

•  

I have never disputed Doubie's potential, in fact I predicted great things from him in 2011. Perhaps, his disappointing lack of conditioning that year is clouding my judgement, but when a player has been given a chance to make it in the bigs like he has, but squanders it by coming to camp out of shape, a giant red flag goes up in my mind. Giant. Red. Flag.

I am not giving up on Doubront just because I am saying we should trade him now. I think other GMs know about his great potential, and will give us something good in return. Let them take on the risk of his lack of full strength desire to be the best he can be.

We can't get great players via trades without giving up some good ones of our own. The Royals want ML ready pitching. They can not afford to sign guys like A. Sanchez, Marcum or McCarthy like we can. We can replace Doubront via free agency while adding to our salary budget. This is why I think we can make a deal with KC (and other teams like Oakland as well- see my B Anderson pleas.)

I would put him in a trade to get one or 2 of KC young talented players mentioned.

I was just disputing the fact that he wont improve.

Young players sometimes make bad choices. i dont hold it against them. Its the ones who learn from them that change. he seemed a lot more dedicated and thus, learned from his mistake.

I did not mean to imply that he won't improve, only that it was a gamble to expect it, and that there is a lot to improve on to make a 1.47 WHIP respectable.

I did not mean to imply that he won't improve, only that it was a gamble to expect it, and that there is a lot to improve on to make a 1.47 WHIP respectable.

understood

• You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

I prefer Napoli for 2 years and 20M. I don't want Napoli's contract for 3 years and 30M plus. I prefer Loney and Gomez and Lavarnway and Ross and dealing Salty for some garbage digging for a lost golden ring.

Loney cannot hit and you need a power hitter at that position. Pass on Loney already, pick up Napoli.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I did not mean to imply that he won't improve, only that it was a gamble to expect it, and that there is a lot to improve on to make a 1.47 WHIP respectable.[/QUOTE]

Will Myers may be this year's Jesus Montero.

Felix Doubront is not this year's Michael Pineda.

• Sections
    Shortcuts