RS have done Nothing!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: RS have done Nothing!

In Response to RS have done Nothing!:
    [QUOTE]Seems to me that BC is creating the perfect storm for Valentine to fail. His only somewhat major move was to acquire Bailey who is supposed to replace Pap. sorry but, as much as I disliked Pap, Bailey is no Papelbon, and can he pitch in Boston? His record agaisnt the ALE says no. Madson would have been a much better choice already pitching for a championship team, in a larger market. Bailey pitched for the A's remember.

So you want Madson (4 yr 44 M) instead of Bailey? If that is the case we would have spent almost as much on Madson as Paps (4 yrs 50M) got in Philly. So why not just sign Paps. BTW are you not one of the ones that continually complain about being ham strung by long term contracts. Which is what Paps or Madson would have done?

We did get the steady Nick Punto, utiltiy man deluxe, but we already had one of those who could hit for power. Not any more. I wish Jed well. Then there's Sweeney, had to let Reddick go to get him along with Bailey, then we learn Kalish is on the shelf.

Brilliant there BC. I'd have rather they re-signed Nancy to a one or two year contract, at least we would know we were going get some HR's from the RF position.

Sweeney had a better OBP and Ave than our RF last year Just not as many HRs.

Could have signed Andruw, who was a superb fit for the RS, and would have kept him from hurting us as a Yankee. But no, Sweeney made more sense. What does Ben do now that Kalish is out? Go get another LH RF to platoon with Sweeney?

We have several OF in AAA and AA that can fit the bill as well as Reddick or Kalish could until Kalish is ready. As well as Mac and Lin

And still, BC has done nothing to address the major deficiency with this team, the starting rotation. If he tries to fill those 4 and 5 slots with Bard, Aceves, and Miller, this team is destined for the cellar in 2012. 

You really think that Bard Aceves and Miller will be worse than last year? Which BTW was with out Clay for over half the year and Lackey with a bad shoulder.

Bard cannot come right out of the gate pitching every 6th day. He needs a year of spot starting to get used to the grind and strengthen his legs.

I'm so glad you know so much about Bard and his ability to be a SP. A year seriously. If he started last month he will have 5 months of preparation. It is not like NYY who moved Joba in to SP in less than a month or so.

Aceves can go into the rotation because he did just that last year, although woefully.
    In 4 starts he had 2 one run games a 4 run and a 6 run game. That is not bad for a guy who was preparing as a MR guy.

Miller is just all over the place....

OK

made a huge mistake not re-signing Bedard.

When you look at the numbers for when he was here he is no better than Miller

Now, if the RS do go out and sigh Jackson, or Oswalt, or even Kuroda, which could mean 12-15 more wins, it could make a diffence between 5th or 1st.

One would be nice I'd rather Garza tho.....

And re-sign Wake, that's another guaranteed 8-10 wins.

Agreed

Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think getting Bailey, Melancon, Punto, Shoppach and Sweeney for very little in return has shown Ben knows how to shop for bargains.

From 2011, we lost:
    Papelbon
    Lackey (to injury)
    Drew
    Reddick
    Lowrie
    Wake
    Weiland
    VTek
    Head & Alcantara
    (Plus, Bedard, Cameron, Oki, Navarro and others)

Only Papelbon is a big loss in terms of what the rest of these guys gave us in 2011 alone.

We basically got Bailey, Melancon, Sweeney, Punto & Shoppach for less than what we would have had to pay in dollars for Papelbon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

boring...lets see how many whiney threads have been made in the next few days complaining because the Sox haven't dropped 3 $100 mil contracts on 30+ players.

As stated, the title of the thread is a joke so please go back to LA and complain about the team there that has truely done nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Alibiike portrays himself as a realist.  After reading many of his posts, I think a better label would be a complainer or whiner.

I don't really value people's opinions if they are either always positive or always negative.  Forgive me if I've missed something positive you've said but I certainly can't remember anything.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i understand where alibiike is coming from and he is right to an extent. If you look at the actual improvements the sox have made so far this offseason from last years team, they have been pretty minimal. The sox lost papelbon and trade for bailey. Not a huge upgrade. melancon was a nice pick up and at this point represents the sox only improvement on last years team. punto replaced lowrie, shopach replace tek, none of those guys are improves. This team came in 3rd place last year. In order for that to change more will have to be done. Right field is a tough situation because i get the sense that the sox fo is really set on kalish as being the right fielder of the future. Unfortunately he wont be back till approx a month to a month and a half into the season. The sox could go with ryan sweeney in right until kalish returns as he is really good defensively. The main area the sox need to improve right now is starting pitching which at this point in the offseason has not been improved upon at all. The sox lost a lot of games last year because of poor pitching. The guy the sox need to focus on at this point is matt garza. If i was bc i would trade for garza, which would lock up 4 spots in the rotation:

beckett
    lester
    garza
    buchholz

then for the number 5 spot i would not use bard or aceves and keep them in the pen. I would give doubront a shot at the number 5 and if he struggles then maybe tazawa could get a shot. I would really like to see what doubront can do. The pen needs aceves and bard. Jenks cannot be relied upon at this point and even with the acquisitiion of melancon we would still be short one set up man if bard goes ot the rotation. If we keep bard and aceves in the pen,it would look like this:

bailey
    bard
    melancon
    jenks
    albers
    aceves
    gonzalez
    I would sign a lefty like mike gonzalez as we dont not have any good ones in our pen. The bottom line  is that the sox need to start gettting things moving.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The two pitchers aquired to pitch out of the pen are quite decent to potentially very good. How many major moves can a team full to the brim in all*stars make?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Seems to me that BC is creating the perfect storm for Valentine to fail. His only somewhat major move was to acquire Bailey who is supposed to replace Pap. sorry but, as much as I disliked Pap, Bailey is no Papelbon, and can he pitch in Boston? His record agaisnt the ALE says no. Madson would have been a much better choice already pitching for a championship team, in a larger market. Bailey pitched for the A's remember. We did get the steady Nick Punto, utiltiy man deluxe, but we already had one of those who could hit for power. Not any more. I wish Jed well. Then there's Sweeney, had to let Reddick go to get him along with Bailey, then we learn Kalish is on the shelf. Brilliant there BC. I'd have rather they re-signed Nancy to a one or two year contract, at least we would know we were going get some HR's from the RF position. Could have signed Andruw, who was a superb fit for the RS, and would have kept him from hurting us as a Yankee. But no, Sweeney made more sense. What does Ben do now that Kalish is out? Go get another LH RF to platoon with Sweeney? And still, BC has done nothing to address the major deficiency with this team, the starting rotation. If he tries to fill those 4 and 5 slots with Bard, Aceves, and Miller, this team is destined for the cellar in 2012.  Bard cannot come right out of the gate pitching every 6th day. He needs a year of spot starting to get used to the grind and strengthen his legs. Aceves can go into the rotation because he did just that last year, although woefully. Miller is just all over the place....made a huge mistake not re-signing Bedard. Now, if the RS do go out and sigh Jackson, or Oswalt, or even Kuroda, which could mean 12-15 more wins, it could make a diffence between 5th or 1st. And re-sign Wake, that's another guaranteed 8-10 wins.

This is what makes America great. 

Freedom of expression.

I was starting to feel fairly good after the Bailey signing.  The one just  before seemed healthy, too.  Mark M in the pen, too.  I'll miss Jed and wish him well - both in health and career.

I thought re-signing Bedard would have been an intelligent move. 

Hope your back's ok - or even good!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: RS have done Nothing!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: RS have done Nothing! : He also has 630 innings under his belt compared to what, 174? Sure, he would have cost more, and the only reason he wasn't closing sooner was because of Lidge. Closing in Philly is a little tougher than closing in Oakland, don't you think? You were prepared to have Bard as our closer without batting an eye. Bailey's numbers are very good, but will they be as good in Boston?

I was? Really? Thanks for letting me know about that opinion I apparently had.

So you only ever want high-priced, veteran players? Ok, say hello to the late 90's Yankees.

Lidge wasn't some lockdown, lights out closer in PHI either, they often looked for upgrades, and he missed a good amount of time to injury, and Madson was nowhere on the closer radar until last year, and ONLY after Lidge AND Contreras got hurt. Don't let some facts get in the way of your fabricated points though.

Madson has about 30 innings as a CLOSER, Bailey has about 100. He's more experienced. Experience matters a little, don't you think?

Some people can pitch in Boston, others can't, there is no real way to predict it, so why bother? David Wells thrived in NY but couldn't handle Boston. David Cone handled both. Clemens handled both. Lackey, Renteria and Lugo couldn't do it. Ortiz and Beckett could. Save that tired, old excuse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RS have done Nothing! : Theo may have blown the budget but you can bet that ownership went right along with him...after all it was their money.  Maybe ownership should have went (gone)to the Cubs along with Theo.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Very good point.  Theo wasn't alone in the decisions made, the signings made.  If Mr. Henry wasn't involved directly, Mr. Werner and Mr. Luccino both seem to have played a fairly active part .... ESPECIALLY concerning the signings of last off season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxnutinMn. Show SoxnutinMn's posts

you just wasted a good 15 minutes of your life on this awful post.  Please, for once this year say something where you stop and think and use your brain.  You obviously don't know anything about baseball.  Is it because you are the team manager of little league team?  Is it because you formed a real good mens softball team?  Are these the reasons you think you know about the major leagues and what it's like to be a GM of a major league baseball team?  Look, I know a hell of a lot about baseball, but I have no clue what goes on in that front office.  What goes in with free agents, the agents themselves, how tough it must be to give up some minor league talent who you believe might be pretty special.  I don't know any of these.  I know one thing though, I know that you need to get a life.  Some people on here do their research, some are really, really good at what they post.  You are not one of them.   I will read more posts in a few months when I recover from reading yours

[QUOTE]Seems to me that BC is creating the perfect storm for Valentine to fail. His only somewhat major move was to acquire Bailey who is supposed to replace Pap. sorry but, as much as I disliked Pap, Bailey is no Papelbon, and can he pitch in Boston? His record agaisnt the ALE says no. Madson would have been a much better choice already pitching for a championship team, in a larger market. Bailey pitched for the A's remember. We did get the steady Nick Punto, utiltiy man deluxe, but we already had one of those who could hit for power. Not any more. I wish Jed well. Then there's Sweeney, had to let Reddick go to get him along with Bailey, then we learn Kalish is on the shelf. Brilliant there BC. I'd have rather they re-signed Nancy to a one or two year contract, at least we would know we were going get some HR's from the RF position. Could have signed Andruw, who was a superb fit for the RS, and would have kept him from hurting us as a Yankee. But no, Sweeney made more sense. What does Ben do now that Kalish is out? Go get another LH RF to platoon with Sweeney? And still, BC has done nothing to address the major deficiency with this team, the starting rotation. If he tries to fill those 4 and 5 slots with Bard, Aceves, and Miller, this team is destined for the cellar in 2012.  Bard cannot come right out of the gate pitching every 6th day. He needs a year of spot starting to get used to the grind and strengthen his legs. Aceves can go into the rotation because he did just that last year, although woefully. Miller is just all over the place....made a huge mistake not re-signing Bedard. Now, if the RS do go out and sigh Jackson, or Oswalt, or even Kuroda, which could mean 12-15 more wins, it could make a diffence between 5th or 1st. And re-sign Wake, that's another guaranteed 8-10 wins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RS have done Nothing! : BAA TB  .222 BA  .225 NY  .184 TO  .032 You're taking a look at one year v his career.  I went overboard calling you a liar, and I apologize, but it seems like are just really reaching for something to be negative about. The only player on the BJ roster that has a hit v Bailey is Lawrie, with a single.  The O's roster is 9-33, with 3 2Bs, no triples, and no HRs.  The NYY roster is 5-35, but with 2 HRs.  TB has the only roster that has had some success against him. Saying his numbers against the ALE suggest he can't handle the ALE is really, really misleading.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    Well done Joe. I like Bailey and think he was best option for RS. Can't blame them for not investing 50 mil for a closer [ Paps was great closer for RS] but believe his best days are behind him. Seems we always used to be on other side, paying big bucks for a guy whose best days are behind him. Bailey east coast kid who pitched @ Wagner should adapt well to RS Nation. The price of Reddick/Head/Alacantra when I first read for Bailey/Sweeney seemd to be to good to be true. Sweeney will help RS even though another LH bat. Reddick plate displine a problem and while Head/Alacantra might become good players in future -just too far off not to do.
    But the thing here no one mentioning is that the trade for Bailey allows the RS to move Bard to rotation, which might be the best part of the trade. I'm not one of the believers who think just because after being drafted/1st year in minors he was terrible as starter that he won't be able to make move. Think he can do an Ogando and become a good starter for RS which is something they really need more than anything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Al,
    Not so sure I agree the Sox have done nothing...They may have not done enough, but there's still time to finish the roster and address the few needs they have before they break camp on April 1st...

Our every day lineup if Youk is healthy is still capable of scoring 850 runs.

Starting Linup:
    CF Ells
    LF Crawford
    2B Pedrioa
    1B Gonzalez
    3B Youk
    DH Papi
     C Salty
    RF Sweeney
    SS Scutaro

Bench: Punto, Avilies, Shoppach, MacDonald (Kalish?)

Starting Rotation:
    #1 Lester
    #2 Beckett
    #3 Buchholz
    #4 Bard (25 starts/175 IP)
    #5 _ _ _ _ _ (open)
    #6 Miller
    DL Matsusaka (returning in August?)

Organizational Depth
    Doubront, Duckworth, Tazawa, Ranaudo, Barnes, Britton, Wilson

Bullpen:
    CL   Bailey
    RHS Melancon
    LHS Morales
    RH  Jenks 
    RH  Albers
    RH  Aceves (spot starter)
    RH  Bowden

Organizational Depth:

Fields, Doubront, Atchison

When looking at the 2012 roster the needs are to add a proven #5 veteran starter, another lefty option out of the pen and a RH bat to platoon in right. None of which need to be impact players...Doubront and Miller one or both could be the answer to the pitching quandry or they could still trade or sign the many still available on the market. RH to platoon in RF could also be filled by one of our prospects and or they can still sign or trade for a player that fits the profile.
    Starting Pitching Math: If we assume that we'll get 32 starts from the top 3 and 25 from Bard thats 121 of 162 games covered, leaving us with the need to fill the remaining 41 starts. If we add a veteran #5 and get 30 from him, then that leaves 11 "spot starts". Aceves is likely to get 6 or so and the rest will be assumed by the guy that shows himself ready to take the ball from our "organizational depth". Some of them will also be filled when Matsusaka returns. When looked at in this contexted adding another arm to the mix seems prudent and my guess is that Cherington figure that out long before any of us raised the question. End of the day we have time to address the #5 slot and adding an arm during the season is also a strong probability. If Miller shows himself to be ready to compete every 5 days, I'd have to think today the #5 slot is his to lose...Doubront too...

The Pen: On paper with the recent aquisitions of Melancon and Bailey along with those returning from 2011 looks to be very solid. There aquisitions, makes moving Bard to the rotation less of an issue. Jenks is the wildcard and as always finding another lefty option (Doubront?) will be a season long quest...

The website below is the Sox organizational depth chart.

http://www.soxprospects.com/org.htm

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

At this point in the offseason, the projected lineup looks pretty good, as does Braun, but he may have a suspension to serve.  And what makes this time of year exciting is there are organizational players who may show their readiness, probably not Yaz, Tony C or Jim Rice (LOL), but if everything were so set every season, more would complain the game boring, slow, and predictable. The fact that each ST has a newness to it is what makes the game exciting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

at this point the sox need to focus big time on pitching. poor pitching cost them last year. Its not hard to figure out when a team leads the league in runs scored and finishes third in their division. The sox obviously are not as confident in their current staff as some people seem to believe or they would not have been in on gio gonzalez till then end. Sox need to go all in for matt garza. He is the kind of pitcher they need. He has experience pitching in the AL east and is not going to break the bank. Plus add in the fact that the cubs still owe us compensation for theo, and it seems there is a deal to be made here. If theo comp is included as part of the deal, the sox would have to part with less prospects to land garza which makes dealing for him more desirable than say trade 4 prospects for gio gonzalez. Garza to the sox makes plenty of sense. Sending ranuado, lars anderson(replacement for carlos pena), and an outfield prospect to cubs plus theo comp being included should be enough to get a deal done. I would also like to see bc sign a bullpen guy or 2 especially a lefty. Mike gonzalez would be a really good fit as the pen lacks a good lefty.