Rubby De La Rosa

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Rubby De La Rosa

Just curious what the board has thought of RDR in the few times we have seen him so far. Personally, I saw him once in ST and then just what we heard from reports about his Minor League performances...and I don't see the swing and miss stuff that he was said to possess....his FB  seemed to be sitting in the 93-95 range....did I miss something, or is it possibly due to the time of year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Rubby De La Rosa

Hes been starting all year and has just been put in the pen. I think if his role was one or the other, then we will have a better idea to judge him. personally, I think if hes used as a reliever and gets in that mindset, we will see a more consistent pitcher with that electric stuff scouts talk about. He was on an innings limit this year after having minimal innings last year returning from TJS.

He can hit 98-100MPH. hes still building up arm strength and getting the feel for his pitches back this year along with going from a starter to a bullpen arm now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He doesn't look to be in the best of shape. So far , he has been long on hype and short on performance. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

A young guy with plenty o ftalent, but migh tnot yet be ready for success at the major league level.  Certainly not a guy to even think of giving up on yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I agree. Very disapointing in what I have seen. Doesn't have the stuff that was reported. Maybe he will get it back next year, but I am more down on DLR then I am even on Matt Barnes. I am guessing his arm doesn't feel to good. Wait till next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I agree. Very disapointing in what I have seen. Doesn't have the stuff that was reported. Maybe he will get it back next year, but I am more down on DLR then I am even on Matt Barnes. I am guessing his arm doesn't feel to good. Wait till next year.

Agreed. Both Webster and RDLR both seem to give up jacks. Can't figure it out. Who knows. I think they'll be fine and you'll see them in September.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to AFNAV130's comment:

Agreed. Both Webster and RDLR both seem to give up jacks. Can't figure it out. Who knows. I think they'll be fine and you'll see them in September.

Allen and Rubby both have electric stuff to be succesful pitchers for the first division team like the Red Sox.  You can't determine anything out of few spot starts and relief appearances.  Webster showed off his arm with fastball touching 100, nasty slider and split fastball.  Yes he gave up some jacks and had poor outings but there's no doubt he posesses some good stuff.  He can be solid #3 start for the Sox in 2014 if given chance. 

And Rubby was limited in innings early in the season because of the TJ surgery.  It's said full recovery from TJ surjery could take almost a full year.  Rubby was called up to the major as a reliever because team needed BP help and he was dominant at the time in AAA.  Rubby can sometimes have issue with control.  He might be best suited as team's closer if he can pound the strike zone.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Perhaps the Red Sox scouts were wrong ; Webster and RDLR may not have been the top pitchers they were thought to be. They might be good AAAA payers.

My guess is Webster at 23 and Rubby at 24 are young and still learning. The Sox have brought them up to see what they have and sent them back down to work on things.

We still haven't seen Owens, Barnes or Ranaudo---chances are we may see Ranaudo during the Sept. expansion of rosters--maybe not if the PawSox are in the playoffs.

There are two other AA pitchers Keith Couch (10-3) used both in relief and as a starter and Chris Hernandez that have had pretty good seasons.

Brent Huntzinger has a sub 2 ERA as a reliever that hasn't been promoted- I believe he pitched in the AFL last fall.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Perhaps the Red Sox scouts were wrong ; Webster and RDLR may not have been the top pitchers they were thought to be. They might be good AAAA payers.

My guess is Webster at 23 and Rubby at 24 are young and still learning. The Sox have brought them up to see what they have and sent them back down to work on things.

We still haven't seen Owens, Barnes or Ranaudo---chances are we may see Ranaudo during the Sept. expansion of rosters--maybe not if the PawSox are in the playoffs.

There are two other AA pitchers Keith Couch (10-3) used both in relief and as a starter and Chris Hernandez that have had pretty good seasons.

Brent Huntzinger has a sub 2 ERA as a reliever that hasn't been promoted- I believe he pitched in the AFL last fall.

NEXT Year  !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Allen and Rubby both have electric stuff to be succesful pitchers for the first division team like the Red Sox.  You can't determine anything out of few spot starts and relief appearances.  Webster showed off his arm with fastball touching 100, nasty slider and split fastball.  Yes he gave up some jacks and had poor outings but there's no doubt he posesses some good stuff.  He can be solid #3 start for the Sox in 2014 if given chance. 

And Rubby was limited in innings early in the season because of the TJ surgery.  It's said full recovery from TJ surjery could take almost a full year.  Rubby was called up to the major as a reliever because team needed BP help and he was dominant at the time in AAA.  Rubby can sometimes have issue with control.  He might be best suited as team's closer if he can pound the strike zone.  

I am not expecting the world from Young pitchers, but my post was about perception of the people on the board who have watched RDLR over his 4 appearances.....maybe it is the innings limit, maybe it is nerves, maybe it is being in an unaccustomed BP role, but I have not seen any "electric" stuff from Rubby....watch a guy like Wheeler, or Archer....and I see Electric stuff....RDLR doesnt seem to have that, though scouting reports all say he does....I just wanted to know if it was just me or do others see the same thing  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to seannybboi's comment:

[QUOTE]

I am not expecting the world from Young pitchers, but my post was about perception of the people on the board who have watched RDLR over his 4 appearances.....maybe it is the innings limit, maybe it is nerves, maybe it is being in an unaccustomed BP role, but I have not seen any "electric" stuff from Rubby....watch a guy like Wheeler, or Archer....and I see Electric stuff....RDLR doesnt seem to have that, though scouting reports all say he does....I just wanted to know if it was just me or do others see the same thing  

[/QUOTE]

For a lot of the reasons listed above is probably why we are not seeing the electric stuff on a consistent basis. His 1st relief appearence was brilliant. Good Movement on a 98MPH FB, nasty changeup and solid slider.

His next 3 starts have not been nearly as good, but I dont think he can be properly judged because of all the things that are involved. We'll see what role they put him in next year. His arm stremngth shoulds be back as well as a full feel for all his pitches. Both he and Webster should be just fine at the MLB level. few tweaks is all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

R D L R .......  Cousin of  DON-DIEGO-DEL-A-VIEGA  !!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Just because a guy doesn't perform well right off the bat doesn't make that an indictment on his prospect status.  Just because a guy isn't an allstar right off the bat doesn't mean he can't be one one day.  Young guys struggle.  I will saywhat I said earlier this year: Rubby De La Rosa has the highest ceiling in our farm system, but he may also have the highest probability of being in the pen.

Hes hit 99, but his stuff works better in the 95 range.  When you have a lights out change up, that is PLENTY of heat.  Be patient ladies.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

This is just shows how tough it is in the Majors, you have to have patience with kids. I think they will both be fine.
    People have to start realizing the jump from Triple AAA to the Majors is huge.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

This is just shows how tough it is in the Majors, you have to have patience with kids. I think they will both be fine.
    People have to start realizing the jump from Triple AAA to the Majors is huge.

+1

that said I agree with the OP

I have not seen the swing & miss stuff

many times even when one struggles it can be seen

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Keep in my mind RDLR was recovering from surgery last year and got shut down NOT because of a repeat injury but because of the fact he was a PTBNL.

Hes been on an innings limit all year, I'm sure he will have better arm strength next year.  I hope at least.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

With me, I look for little contributions during the year with kids. Fernando Valenzuela comes around once every 10 or so years.

Sections
Shortcuts