Rude awakening

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Rude awakening

Gang, it's a 162-game season that lasts half the calendar year. There are bound to be several peaks and valleys along the way. Just as nobody should have expected this team to  play .714 ball the rest of the year, nobody should be jumping off the Zakim Bridge yet,  either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

What screwed us up yesterday was the fact that Bailey wasnt available, which was the reason Hanny wasnt brought in for the 9th.

They played a great game against one of the leagues BEST pitchers and scored 3 runs off a kid who had a whip of 0.94 and an ERA lower than Clays. Id say thats pretty good.

Lester picthed plenty good enough to win, 6IP 3 runs. Not the best game hes pitched, but far from bad. They were forced to go to a guy (Mortensen) who should have never be in that situation. It is what it is. Maybe Bailey goes on the DL so we can have that arm we needed last night.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Well , it was a challenge to go down to Texas and play a very good Rangers team. The Sox did not meet the challenge. They failed miserably and were swept. Now it will be interesting to see how they respond to adversity. Will all the peace and love go out the window ?  Will the clubhouse chemistry result in any clutch hits?  We have four at home against the Twins. Very winnable. Let's see what happens.  Here is a big part of it:  The bottom of the order is not productive. The Sox are overly reliant on production from the top of the order. In recent years , that means Ellsbury and Pedroia getting on , and Ortiz and others driving them in. However , from what I see , Ellsbury is nowhere near the hitter he was in 2011.  And Pedroia is out of his element hitting third. Ortiz is doing his job , but he cannot do it alone. Without more production from Ellsbury and Pedroia , it will be difficult to maintain consistent scoring.  Let's see  if the Sox can bounce back, or if this is the beginning of a slide into mediocrity . Stay tuned. 

The holes are starting to show....Also, they have gotten away from good defense and agressive base running !!!!    (Bases slow down when/around "BIG PAPI"  !!!

Yeah, Big Papi's HR trot slows everything down...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Have your fun while you can, naysayers. When the Sox start winning again, you will be crying.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

The holes are starting to show....Also, they have gotten away from good defense and agressive base running !!!!    (Bases slow down when/around "BIG PAPI"  !!!

Calm down, Chicken Little.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to susan250's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

It was a rude awakening.  But historically the Red Sox, for reasons unknown, have always done poorly in Texas.  As you say they have to bounce right back against the Twins, who I think they have usually handled very well at Fenway.

Agree.  Over the last few seasons we almost never win games in Texas.  We always struggle against the Rangers and haven't won many series against them.  

To put it simply, they are a better team right now. Mediocre teams tend to struggle against good teams.

What exactly did the Rangers this year that elevated them to "good team"?

The Sox are the only team they havplayed so far this season that is over .500.  The second best record for a team the Rangers have played belongs to the Twins.

If either 20-11 team is an illusion,  it might not be Boston...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to CHUBBIE99's comment:

Anybody still think ells is a 13-15 mill a year player.

Nope, but I think he will get that next year.

He might get more than that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

The weakness continues. I give credit to Manager John for doing as well as he can, but this team doesn't cut it in the middle of the lineup. Middlebrooks has to be the one to provide season long high level total slugging. Ortiz will break down unless they bench him a lot, and the same goes for Napoli.

The GM's job was to close the gap on the Tigers and Rangers, even though he was part of the incompetence that was blown away by better middle managment, in the first place. He's done nothing with the big payroll to conetend with those two teams. The Yankees, depleted as they are, are the only other AL team with any chance to contend with the Tigers and Rangers.

S. Drew is a 10 million dollar cost, value disaster.

The weakest continues? What they hell are you talking about?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Tigers, Rangers, Yankees, in that order, then 2 pretenders yet to be determined from a field of about a half a dozen teams which includes a Red Sox team that has become a 2nd rate performance brand for a half a decade. If the Red Sox had won a few playoff games over that time, it would demonstrate a consistency that speaks to the quality of the brand.

It seems to me one of your favorite organizations is Atlanta...you keep mentioning them as being well-run.

But they haven't won a playoff series since 2001.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady101. Show Brady101's posts

The top of the Rangers pitching rotation beat the bottom of our pitching rotation with the exception of Lester...and that game came down to the end.  Chances are during a series that Dubrount and Lackey don't start a game and they come out of the pen.  I wouldn't be too worried.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Well, we have beat up on softy and bill-806 incessantly, so now they get their period of saying "I told you these guys were lousy."  Funny thing is, neither one of them, when asked specifically to predict the Sox season (a long way out, granted), was willing to say this season will be terrible.  Softy in fact predicted 86-91 wins, hardly a disaster.

So the rude awakening, painful as it was, does not mean the season is over as those two seem to imply on this thread.

I do agree the Sox didn't score much against a very good pitching staff on their turf--4 runs in 3 games is pretty bad.  That is a concern, but I think our guys can and will hit better than that.  There can be no question the lineup doesn't work if Ortiz is the only guy knocking and/or scoring runs.  Almost everyone else--Ellsbury, Victorino, Pedroia, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Gomes, Drew, Ciriaco--needs to start hitting.  I exempt Nava because he's way better than expected and both catchers because, as catchers go, their hitting is about average.   

As for the pitching, Doubront has both control and velocity issues, so getting pounded was about right and will continue if he doesn't change.  Webster, get ready.  I thought Lackey wasn't half bad and got screwed by the defense.  And yesterday Lester showed a lot of guts, but stopped throwing lots of strikes after the first couple of innings.  He has a decent changeup, which comes in handy against all those righty hitters, but doesn't like to throw it.  That 2 run dinger in I think the 5th inning was a fastball slightly up in the strike zone and centered and followed the exact same pitch but in a slightly different location, so the hitter was looking for it. 

Let's not forget that the bullpen also seems to be letting down--no one can be considered consistent or reliable at this point. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Tigers, Rangers, Yankees, in that order, then 2 pretenders yet to be determined from a field of about a half a dozen teams which includes a Red Sox team that has become a 2nd rate performance brand for a half a decade. If the Red Sox had won a few playoff games over that time, it would demonstrate a consistency that speaks to the quality of the brand.

It seems to me one of your favorite organizations is Atlanta...you keep mentioning them as being well-run.

But they haven't won a playoff series since 2001.

Well, he also called the marlins the "model small market team" over the Rays, and has continued to defend that position over and over, so what do you expect from a clown?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

It was just an early series with a very good team.

by the way how is that old washed up David Ortiz doing for you haters

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

really?  is anyone shocked that the red sox got swept in TX?  TX = kryptonite for teh sox.

no big deal.  not time to jump off the bridge.  but at least it's good for the trolls.  brightside....it was on the road.  not losing 2 out-of-3 at home vs A's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Texas definitely had our number this weekend, but I don't see them as a terrific team.  Darvish may pitch well all year, and Ogando if he can stay healthy, but Holland is a #3 guy who is off to a hot start and just always seems to do well against us, and then they have Justin Grimm and Nick Tepesch.  Plus the offense is now without Napoli and Hamilton.  This may have been a very different result if our top 2 matched up against their bottom 2, instead of vice-versa. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The sample sizes are small, but here are some interesting numbers:

Road OPS in the AL:

1) Cleve  .818

2) Oak   .812

3) Boston .798

4) NY Y   .784

5) Hou  .759

6) Bal  .753

7) Det  .717

8) TBR  .716

9) Kansas City .715

10) Los Angeles .703

11) Texas  .693

12) Seattle  .684

13) Toronto .669

14) Chicago  .660

15) Minn  .658

Road ERA

1) Detroit  2.91

2) TX 3.42

3) KC 3.56

4) CLE 3.67

5) Bal  3.67

6) Bos  3.68

7) Oak 3.69

8) CWS 4.24

9) NYY  4.31

10) MN  4.49

11) Tor  4.62

12) TBR 4.86

13) LAA 4.92

14) Sea  5.08

15) Hou  5.49

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to trantor's comment:

I thought that a few of those games  could have gone either way but my faullt was that I carefully watched each AB and every defensive play. Soomeone who only reads box scores would obviously feel differently. They miss out on the enjoyment of the game whether we lose or not. 

I agree. We didn't play so badly.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Gang, it's a 162-game season that lasts half the calendar year. There are bound to be several peaks and valleys along the way. Just as nobody should have expected this team to  play .714 ball the rest of the year, nobody should be jumping off the Zakim Bridge yet,  either.

Stop talking sense Lloyd. 

This team is too fat. 

-Daf. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Sox win!

Sections
Shortcuts