Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out.

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED BY BOARD MORONS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Re: Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out.

Ok.  But was he called out?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This is what I've been yelling about all night. Crap like this the ONLY WAY Cardinal teams can win championships. Once in a century chokes and bad calls, without them they can do nothing. Just like it was in 2006, business as usual for STL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Didn't see it.... I am not a fan of devices being used in the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out.:
    [QUOTE]...without doubt. Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball. Modernize baseball.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Agree. It's going to be 2012. How much longer do they intend to wait?

Every strike and every ball matters. Leaving it up to "some guy" who decides is so archaic. We need to get younger minds in the game who are willing to jump into the present and not stay in 19-whatever. It's just unreal that you can see whether it's a ball or a strike immediately after the umpire either gets it right, or gets it wrong. If it's a strike, it should be a strike, if it's a ball, it should be a ball. Modern technology can prevent such "errors" from happening. It makes no sense not to use it since millions of dollars are on the line as to how games turn out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

I disagree totally, every umpire has their own strikezone. As long as they are consistant that's all you can ask. If he is calling that pitch a ball, and consistantly calls it a ball, that's perfectly fine. It's the pitchers job to find the umpires strikezone and stick to it......it's part of the game!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Crap like this the ONLY WAY Cardinal teams can win championships."

Umm they've won 11 titles. At some point it starts to seem like they earned a few of 'em right?

If you're not inspired by how they came back from 11 down or whatever while our team folded like a cheap tent you're missing out on some of the best things sports has to offer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out.:
    [QUOTE]I disagree totally, every umpire has their own strikezone. As long as they are consistant that's all you can ask. If he is calling that pitch a ball, and consistantly calls it a ball, that's perfectly fine. It's the pitchers job to find the umpires strikezone and stick to it......it's part of the game!
    Posted by stodknocker[/QUOTE]

OK. Now you're just proving my point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No question that baseball must progress. A field clock needs to be installed that speeds the game up by forcing a pitcher and batter to use a timeout to stop field "pitch clock" that is the equivalent of a basketball shot clock. Replay challenges rules should be implemented that allow each team a few challenges on most any close play including called strikes and balls. Tennis is a traditional sport that went to it, football, etc. Time to end the blatant errors in calls that anyone with an HDTV and video recorder has been seeing for years!

Games are too slow and umpires can't call games without making numerous mistakes, particularly close plays to bases and balls and strikes. No reason to allow this to continue when technology fixes it. It is the equivalent of refusing to play night games in a competitive sports market world.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I remember as a kid if you swung at a ball an missed it you still kept your feet in the batters box and gotready for the next pitch, I became an expert at it so I know what I speak of Frown...

point is that after every ball or strike you do not need to wander around the circle for 30 seconds before you get back in the box.

You see that blue thing? That is where I always thought you were supposed to stay ... until either you made an out or hit the ball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i posted this months ago - get rid of the umps except for one who only calls time outs and manages the game....let tech do the rest - the errors are sickening aND UNNECESSARY

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

It was a strike, unfortunately it was a perfect strike on the outerhalf at the knees on the black. I'd bet a substantial amount of dough that Carpenter get's that call...the better team won last night...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

In Response to Re: Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out. : OK. Now you're just proving my point.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Just proving your point? Sorry, that's the way the game has been played for 100 years, I don't think they should change it....it's part of the game, like the summer sun and eating peanuts in the bleachers

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out. : Just proving your point? Sorry, that's the way the game has been played for 100 years, I don't think they should change it....it's part of the game, like the summer sun and eating peanuts in the bleachers

Your comment about umpires having their own strike zone was proving my point. Isn't there some "umpire school" where they go to learn what the strike zone is (since that's their job) instead of having "their own strike zone"? GMAB Jump into the future. We know what a strike is and what a ball is a second after it's thrown. Umpires behind the plate deciding that just seems redundant -- except when they get it wrong. And really, who needs that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]Didn't see it.... I am not a fan of devices being used in the game.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Me neither.  Works both ways during the course of a game and a series.  It is part of baseball life, which is why I am drawn to the game.  Baseball is a fickle beast full of imperfection and a level of unpredictability.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out. : Me neither.  Works both ways during the course of a game and a series.  It is part of baseball life, which is why I am drawn to the game.  Baseball is a fickle beast full of imperfection and a level of unpredictability.
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

And you're both nuts. Who wants to see the wrong call made because "some guy" says that's what he saw? Are you kidding me? How much more back in time do you want to go?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree totally, every umpire has their own strikezone. As long as they are consistant that's all you can ask. If he is calling that pitch a ball, and consistantly calls it a ball, that's perfectly fine. It's the pitchers job to find the umpires strikezone and stick to it......it's part of the game!

Exactly.  Consistent strike zones is crucial.  As long as the ump is always the same, the players know what to expect and can act with a level of comfort and predictability.  It's when the zone slides up or down that folks get upset.

This has been the game for a long time.  Whatever they have tried to do to change the strike zone hasn't changed it.  How would a proposed computer system work?  Would there even be an ump anymore?  That would make the game like it's on a Playstation or something.  How far down would the computer system go into baseball?  To the college level?  All minor league levels?  It's part of the game.  Everything doesn't need to be modernized.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out. : Is this a leading question? You already know the answer to your question. Umpire Jerry Layne will have an opportunity to view the computer and agree that it was a strike. That's all I am saying. Modernize the game.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

I know I knew the answer to my question.  My point is the computer doesn't make the call, so he wasn't out, and arguing that he was out is pointless.  The umpire didn't ring him uo, so that's that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

The one thing not mentioned is the idiotic practic of catchers cheating the ball location by quickly moving their glove toward the strike zone.   It cost a strike last night.   Umps who notice too much movement by the catcher have to assume the ball was outside.   So tough luck on that one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out. : And you're both nuts. Who wants to see the wrong call made because "some guy" says that's what he saw? Are you kidding me? How much more back in time do you want to go?

Common, than why not play by the book? Lets be robotic about it all.... no thank you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out. : And you're both nuts. Who wants to see the wrong call made because "some guy" says that's what he saw? Are you kidding me? How much more back in time do you want to go?

Why are we nuts for liking some things the way they are?  Why does technology need to intrude on everything in our lives?  If you don't like how MLB does it, keep watching the other sports that utilize tech to second-guess everything.  Some plays are hard to call, but most of the time it is the right call.

You telling me the you never make a mistake in your life?  Do you have tech to go back and change decisions?  Why can't it just be?    Computers would make things too sterile and take away the wow moments.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone...according the computer Yadier Molina was out. : Common, than why not play by the book? Lets be robotic about it all.... no thank you.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Well, then you should just hope the umpire likes your team, or doesn't want to see a certain team in the playoffs for monetary reasons for MLB, or one of the players didn't pis s him off the last game, or didn't insult one of his pals during another game, or looked at him the wrong way, or.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

kim it is understandable how you feel. But if your gonna use computers to judge strikes than you may as well let players use steroids, and eventually replace them with clones... common now... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

should ad that with hockey and baseball in my experience, half the fun is yelling at umps or ref's.... getting upset with calls... it makes the game just that, the game.

Sections
Shortcuts