Rule 5 Draft and the 40 man roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Rule 5 Draft and the 40 man roster

Im not real sure how this all works, but I do believe you have to be on the 40 man to be protected from the rule 5 Draft. Here are Sox Minor leaguers close to the rule 5 and not on the 40 that are ranked in the top 25 on Sox Prospects.

2013-2014

1. Bogaerts
    2. Cecchini
    3. Ranaudo
    4. Brentz
    5. Workman
    6. Almanza
    7. Hazelbaker
    8. Jacobs

2014-2015

1. Barnes
    2. Coyle

Again i dont fully understand how this works, but that looks like some serious talent eligible for the rule 5 in 2013-2014.

If they have to be added who the heck comes off the 40 man?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

Re: Rule 5 Draft and the 40 man roster

Those top 5 on your list will for sure be heading to the 40 man roster. I would expect the Sox to be trading some of the others they may lose.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Almost every team faces a similar dilemma of choosing what promising prospects to protect from the Rule 5 draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

Im not real sure how this all works, but I do believe you have to be on the 40 man to be protected from the rule 5 Draft. Here are Sox Minor leaguers close to the rule 5 and not on the 40 that are ranked in the top 25 on Sox Prospects.

2013-2014

1. Bogaerts
    2. Cecchini
    3. Ranaudo
    4. Brentz
    5. Workman
    6. Almanza
    7. Hazelbaker
    8. Jacobs

2014-2015

1. Barnes
    2. Coyle

Again i dont fully understand how this works, but that looks like some serious talent eligible for the rule 5 in 2013-2014.

If they have to be added who the heck comes off the 40 man?

The thing is Promise, only 2 can be taken from 1 team and they have to be put on the other teams roster for the year. Some guys, although might have a bright future, arent ready yet and a team doesnt want to clog up an important roster spot all year for a player that most likely wont play. Hazelbaker was eligible last year and wasnt taken. Lot of SP/BP arms get scooped up because they are usually used at one point during the season.

We have 19 total out of the top 60 that will be eligible. Only the top names will be protected. Guys like Daniel Bard will be considered a possible non-tender candidate. FA like Drew, Salty, and Ells will open up spots if they dont come back. Fringe guys like Jonathan Diaz, Brock Holt, and Brandon Snyder will be considered.

Lots of important decisions this year for Big Ben.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox will surely lose a quality player or two to rule 5, unless we get proactive and make some 2 and 3 for 1 deals soon. It's not easy to make those type of trades in winter, since, as hill pointed out, every team is facing a roster crunch at that time.

(I added the BOLD for those players of most importance. Red is a must keeper.)

The following players will be eligible for the 2013 Rule 5 Draft if they are not added to the 40-man roster by November 20, 2013:

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Xander Bogaerts, Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Brandon Jacobs, Jeremy Kehrt, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Mario Martinez, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Nefi Ogando, Gerardo Olivares, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Rafael Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Brandon Snyder, Alfredo Soto, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Stefan Welch, Shannon Wilkerson, Brandon Workman, Madison Younginer

I see it this way: The players not in red could be packages to get a better prospect or prospects not in need of being protected from rule 5, or a useful 2 month rental.

Here's how our roster shapes up next year, assuming no re-signings, FA signings, or trades (assume Lester is back at $13M option):

25 man:

12 pitchers: Buch, Lest, Lack, Demp, Doub, Ace, Mora, Bail, Ueh, Taz, Miller, Bres, Wils

13 position: Lava, Ross, Papi, Midd, Ped, Iggy, Bog, Nava, JBJ, SV, Gomes,Carp, Holt

The other 15:

1- 8: Bogaerts, Webster, de la Rosa, Cecchini, Ranaudo,  Vazquez, Brentz, Workman

9 de la Torre

10 Britton

11 Beato

12 Snyder

13 Diaz (?)

14 Hassan (?)

15 Wright (?)

16 Kalish (?)

17 Bard (?)

18 Butler (?)

19- 24: Almanzar, Hazelbaker, de la Cruz, Jacobs, Vinicio, Capenter

and others

Now, we almost certainly will add a Catcher, OF'er and corner IF'er, plus maybe a pitcher or two. Let's say we sign 5 including Lester or 4 with Lester.

That means everyone listed under Beato is open to rule 5. My guess is we make some 2 or 3 for one deals this deadline in order to avoid losing quality depth. It might mean we trade some guys above the Beato line to make room for some below while strengthening other areas on the 25 man roster or on the farm.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The Sox will surely lose a quality player or two to rule 5, unless we get proactive and make some 2 and 3 for 1 deals soon. It's not easy to make those type of trades in winter, since, as hill pointed out, every team is facing a roster crunch at that time.

The following players will be eligible for the 2013 Rule 5 Draft if they are not added to the 40-man roster by November 20, 2013:

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Xander Bogaerts, Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Brandon Jacobs, Jeremy Kehrt, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Mario Martinez, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Nefi Ogando, Gerardo Olivares, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Rafael Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Brandon Snyder, Alfredo Soto, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Stefan Welch, Shannon Wilkerson, Brandon Workman, Madison Younginer

I see it this way: The players not in red could be packages to get a better prospect or prospects not in need of being protected from rule 5, or a useful 2 month rental.

Here's how our roster shapes up next year, assuming no re-signings, FA signings, or trades (assume Lester is back at $13M option):

25 man:

12 pitchers: Buch, Lest, Lack, Demp, Doub, Ace, Mora, Bail, Ueh, Taz, Miller, Bres, Wils

13 position: Lava, Ross, Papi, Midd, Ped, Iggy, Bog, Nava, JBJ, SV, Gomes,Carp, Holt

The other 15:

1- 8: Bogaerts, Webster, de la Rosa, Cecchini, Ranaudo,  Vazquez, Brentz, Workman

9 de la Torre

10 Britton

11 Beato

12 Snyder

13 Diaz (?)

14 Hassan (?)

15 Wright (?)

16 Kalish (?)

17 Bard (?)

18 Butler (?)

and others

Now, we almost certainly will add a Catcher, OF'er and corner IF'er, plus maybe a pitcher or two. Let's say we sign 5 including Lester or 4 with Lester.

That means everyone listed under Beato is open to rule 5. My guess is we make some 2 or 3 for one deals this deadline in order to avoid losing quality depth. It might mean we trade some guys above the Beato line to make room for some below while strengthening other areas on the 25 man roster or on the farm.

Sox4ever

I expect Holt, Beato, and De la Torre to be exposed. And Kalish, Hassan, and Almanzar to be protected. And nobody will touch Vinicio because he is too far away. Which means only 2 players you listed are highly ranked and vulnerable. Jacobs and De la Cruz. Both in A ball. Trade just one of these 40 guys and protect De La Cruz and I am not sweating anything you listed. We lose De La Torre and Wright or Beato and Jacobs..... oh well. Life in a strong system.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

25 man:

The other 15:

9 de la Torre

10 Britton

11 Beato

12 Snyder

13 Diaz (?)

14 Hassan (?)

15 Wright (?)

16 Kalish (?)

17 Bard (?)

18 Butler (?)

and others

Sox4ever

I have to admit, i have not given deep thought to this, but am going to this weekend (thanks for a four day weekend). I have been watching Snyder, I know small sample size, but he was once considered a top prospect. He has shown some good stuff so far. That right now is my only disagreementt with what you prepose. I also Like Almanzer now that he is maturing although his defense anywhere is questionable. But then again we could be looking for a DH in a couple of years, although Papi seems ageless. I will prepose my 40 man roster for next year and bet you a beer (next time im in Texas) that I am closer than you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

[QUOTE]

25 man:

The other 15:

9 de la Torre

10 Britton

11 Beato

12 Snyder

13 Diaz (?)

14 Hassan (?)

15 Wright (?)

16 Kalish (?)

17 Bard (?)

18 Butler (?)

and others

Sox4ever

I expect Holt, Beato, and De la Torre to be exposed. And Kalish, Hassan, and Almanzar to be protected. And nobody will touch Vinicio because he is too far away. Which means only 2 players you listed are highly ranked and vulnerable. Jacobs and De la Cruz. Both in A ball. Trade just one of these 40 guys and protect De La Cruz and I am not sweating anything you listed. We lose De La Torre and Wright or Beato and Jacobs..... oh well. Life in a strong system.

[/QUOTE]

I read this quickly first time as I was watching the game, I see you had Snyder at 12 on the remaining players, I missed it first time. back to the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good points. Things may change after trades and signings, but I think a 3 for 1 deal involving players on our 40 man roster or on the rule 5 list would make things easier this winter.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I could see us do somethign like this:

Trade 1-2 of: Bard, Britton, Wilson, Beato, Wright, Carpenter, and de la Torre 

plus

Trade 1-2 of: Holt, Hassan, Jacobs, Hazelbaker, Vinicio and Butler

for one better prospect, 1-2 prospects that don't need to be protected from rule 5, or a 25 man roster player than can help us this year and maybe beyond.

Sox4ever