Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey

In Response to Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey:
    [QUOTE]The rumor is that all Yankee fans will be banned shortly form this site. Not sure why, but I know there are a few that will be very happy about that. I have enjoyed these last 5 + years chatting baseball with you all, agreements or disagreements. Just remember, this is just a game which is here to entertain us - nothing more, nothing less. I have made some good cyber friendships here and I will be sad to see them gone. I wish you all the best. See you all in the ALCS one year soon. 8 years has been too long. Keep on rockin in the free world. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQccK0F1_iY
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I don't get this, and I also don't see how BDC could possilbly enforce such a thing. I wonder if it's not just all talk. There are some NYY trolls on here, but there are also some decent NYY fans that I haven't minded interacting with. I think banning everyone is dumb. If they'd ban by IP address, you could get rid of the trolls and leave the adults. How far does this go? Lakers/Heat fans banned from the Celtics forum? Colts and Jets fans banned from the Pats forum? Next thing you know, we'll be banning based on religion and political affiliation, or if your beliefs disagree with whoever is in charge at BDC. I don't think I like this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : I think that's how it may be, bob. the upgrade is to ban by IP address. was told a sox only site was in development. thats it. no sure how it will be done or by whom
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Do you realize that if this takes place, pike has finally won? The defeat at the battle of Ft. Meade will be reversed! Forum Congress has gone left on us, and we are all turned into clones of pike. All of us reading every post, suspecting, questioning, pointing out inconsistencies, etc How would any of us know who is a real Sox fan and who is not? How would evidence be gathered and interpreted, and who would arbitrate and decide to ban someone? What about me? I follow the Sox and Reds both, do I qualify as loyal enough? I don't think I like this, smacks of totalitarianism. I'm not sure I even believe this is going to happen. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : Do you realize that if this takes place, pike has finally won? The defeat at the battle of Ft. Meade will be reversed! Forum Congress has gone left on us, and we are all turned into clones of pike. All of us reading every post, suspecting, questioning, pointing out inconsistencies, etc How would any of us know who is a real Sox fan and who is not? How would evidence be gathered and interpreted, and who would arbitrate and decide to ban someone? What about me? I follow the Sox and Reds both, do I qualify as loyal enough? I don't think I like this, smacks of totalitarianism. 
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Pike will be the first one on the list to be bounced, no?? I think the issue has been there arent any consequences here so anything goes. if poster know they can get bounced and cant come back and ip address can be identified, it will eliminate some of it. I also think it should be on an individual basis. what do you think so only site means?? I took it as sox fans only no?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The first thought I had was this "can't be true," and I have yet to see a single fact and the only leggs it has are rumorous.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : Pike will be the first one on the list to bounced no?? 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

If they go based on IP addresses maybe, but who said we want him gone? I'd be happy if pike spouted his nonsense and was forced to do so from one moniker so we'd always know it was him. Kicking him (and those like him) out completely would ruin most of the fun on this forum. If we were limited to one screen name per IP address, 90% of this garbage would instantly go away because there'd be no place to hide, everyone would know who they were. So limiting by IP address yes, banning totally I think takes it too far unless BDC rules are blantantly ignored.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]The first thought I had was this "can't be true," and I have yet to see a single fact and the only leggs it has are rumorous.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

remember the day the site was down most of the day? thats why it was shut down upgrading the software. did you not see dotties message on the forum?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : If they go based on IP addresses maybe, but who said we want him gone? I'd be happy if pike spouted his nonsense and was forced to do so from one moniker so we'd always know it was him. Kicking him (and those like him) out completely would ruin most of the fun on this forum. If we were limited to one screen name per IP address, 90% of this garbage would instantly go away because there'd be no place to hide, everyone would know who they were. So limiting by IP address yes, banning totally I think takes it too far unless BDC rules are blantantly ignored.  

all I was told was SOX SITE ONLY is being developed, which will be set up exactly like this one and they will be able to determine and ban by IP address permanently. take it for what you will. maybe I'm wrong but to me that means sox fans, only no??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : remember the day the site was down most of the day? thats why it was shut down upgrading the software. did you not see dotties message on the forum?
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Something happened to the Reds forum like this too. I'm not on it near as much as I am here, but they said they "lost their contract" with whoever was running the forum, and they had to take it down. They gave me the impression that it was down permanently, but I went there the other day and it was still running, so something happened to keep it going. But honestly, BDC is a madhouse of activity and trolls compared to the Reds forum. The average Reds game thread has like 50 posts on it for the entire game. So I doubt they have the kind of trouble we have here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : Something happened to the Reds forum like this too. I'm not on it near as much as I am here, but they said they "lost their contract" with whoever was running the forum, and they had to take it down. They gave me the impression that it was down permanently, but I went there the other day and it was still running, so something happened to keep it going. But honestly, BDC is a madhouse of activity and trolls compared to the Reds forum. The average Reds game thread has like 50 posts on it for the entire game. So I doubt they have the kind of trouble we have here.

3 -4 weeks ago, no one could access the site. was down all day. dottie came on and gave the explanation they were upgrading the software, was a huge undertaking and there would be issues with the forum while the conversion was going on. said they were taking back control of the moderating. while pike has railed for sox only, i have always been an advocate for the nyy posters here. should and maybe will be who is detrimental to the site.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I seriously, seriously doubt this is true.  It would be the height of stupidity.  If they want to start a RS-only site, how would they even do it?  Half the fans are outside NE.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

So how do they determine anybody is a Yankee fan?  Change your pictures if you have to.  Lay low. 

Some Yankee guys are buttheads ... they troll just to take any joy out of baseball that a Red Sox fan can muster.

But not the regulars.  That is absurd.   It is more interesting discussing baseball with fans of other teams than cry baby Sox "fans". 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I'm no IP genius, but as I understand things internet providers routinely rotate addresses for security purposes. If that's the case BDC would have to posess some kind of super software in order to accomplish what is being discussed here. Or is the NSA now running this site (just kidding...please don't disappear me).

Got to keep the world safe from the Evil Empire. LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]I seriously, seriously doubt this is true.  It would be the height of stupidity.  If they want to start a RS-only site, how would they even do it?  Half the fans are outside NE.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

what?? joe theyre upgrading software to identify and ban ip address due to the multiple issues. was told sox site only is being developed which will be identical to this one. thats all. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]The rumor is that all Yankee fans will be banned shortly form this site. Not sure why, but I know there are a few that will be very happy about that. I have enjoyed these last 5 + years chatting baseball with you all, agreements or disagreements. Just remember, this is just a game which is here to entertain us - nothing more, nothing less. I have made some good cyber friendships here and I will be sad to see them gone. I wish you all the best. See you all in the ALCS one year soon. 8 years has been too long. Keep on rockin in the free world. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQccK0F1_iY

jess, IDK know or think that's the way it will or should be. I think it's to finally weed out the problem children, from both sides.  All I do know is, they will now be able to identify and ban by IP address, and a sox only site is being developed that will be exactly like this one. thats it. take it for what it's worth. I have no idea about the moderating. All dottie posted was after the conversion, they would have a better handle on it. there are several NYY posters, of which you're one, who make this a better place. Hill also. I dont know if they'll grant immunity to those who have been an asset to the board or not. no idea. I hope so, but I think the fact there will now be consequences,  will give some pause before posting. the only time I'm for sox only is the game thread. they got too toxic and take way from watching the game with other sox fans. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]If they limit you to one IP address then either 2004Idiots or PinstripeZac will have to disappear.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

How many of your "identities" will have to disappear?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : jess IDK know or think thats the way it will or should be. I think its to finally to weed out the problem children. All I do know is they will now be able to identify and ban by IP address, and a sox only site is being developed that will be exactly like this one. thats it. take it for what its worth. 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

" All I do know is they will now be able to identify and ban by IP address,..."

They can't do that by IP address because the overwhelming majority of individuals use DHCP, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, to connect to the Internet.  Basically, the IP address changes every time you disconnect, then reconnect to the Internet.  

Now, if the Globe was serious about banning Yankee fans, which they are not, they could force you to log on and then cull out the accounts that they thought were Yankee fans.   An easy way to identify Yankee fans computers, once the Globe's "Central Scrutinizer" determined that they were a Yankee fan would be Internet cookies.  They are little files that ones computer exchanges with a web site so that they know who you are as soon as connect to the sight.  That would be easily defeated by merely erasing ones Internet history after every session.  The Globe's web site might even go as far as getting the MAC address of the computer which is unique to each cpu and would be harder to fake but also hard to attain.  Technically is tracking certain fans that were considered Yankee fans doable, .. yeah but it would be a lot of work.  But, it's not doable by IP address.

And, how would you know who is in fact a Yankee fan?  Do I need to give myself up?  What if I change my avitar to a RS logo?  What if I'm a Yankee fan but say I'm a RS fan?  What about fans from other teams, .. are they getting bannedf too?  

Even if it were possible and the Globe did this what happens in a few weeks when aside from this site turning into a echo chamber, everybody realized that all the petty stuff really didn't go away that there were still posters that were twits and morons but they're also part of the Nation?

And, finally, how do you think this it would look if a Newspaper, who's very existence is dependent of the 1st Amendment and free speech, made a public effort to stifle free speech?  It would be a public relation nightmare.

Is this technically possible, .. maybe.  Is it practical, .. no.  Is it actually something the Globe is considering, .. absolutely not.  

This is clearly a hoax, .. started by a Yankee fan no doubt.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Hope it's just a rumor jesseyeric - I have no problem with Yankee fans on this board - trolls yes, yankee fans wanting to discuss baseball in a civil manner - no.  If this rumor is truthful, it's a bad policy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hey Jesse,
    I too have enjoyed chatting with you and many of your fellow pinstripers over the years. Jete, Zac, TWM, Diva, NHStephen, just to name a few. Zac is the guy that turned me on to blogging years ago when he and I got into it over who was the better catcher Munson or Fisk on the old DEM Yanks thread. A dialog that was spirited and while many take issue with Zac's style the guy is actually an astute histrorian of the game..An argument that was never settled by the way. 

That said, count me among those that if given a choice would vote to allow all baseball fans access to this site. IMHO gentrifying this site into a homer Red Sox only forum would also make some of the better Red Sox fans look elsewhere. While some among us have issues with Yankee fans coming to this site. They are in fact a minority, all be it a vocal minority. A collevtive that doesn't infact represent the feeling and wishes of the majority. A majority who come here daily to talk all things baseball and last I checked the Yank's were part of "baseball".

So if the  "MOD's read this and the value participation of all fans of the game. Then my hope is that they'd rethink banning real baseball fans and focus on removing those that have multiple screen names using the same IP...It would be interesting to see how many of the regulars would disapear if they could only use one screen name. Trollish behavior isn't always a bad thing when done in the spirit of supporting your own team. Though I've never been a fan of Softlaw's diatribe he does add to the overall experince. Not unlike "the babe" who trolls this site in the interest of inciting passionate sox fans...also not a bad thing...if you take the bait you derserve to be boated!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : jess, IDK know or think that's the way it will or should be. I think it's to finally to weed out the problem children. All I do know is, they will now be able to identify and ban by IP address, and a sox only site is being developed that will be exactly like this one. thats it. take it for what it's worth. I have no idea about the moderating. All dottie posted was after the conversion, they would have a better handle on it. there are several NYY posters, of which you're one who make this a better place. Hill also. I dont know if they grant immunity to those who have been an asset to the board or not. no idea. I hope so, but I think the fact there will now be consequences,  will give some pause before posting. the only time I'm for sox only is the game thread. they got too toxic and take way from watching the game with other sox fans. 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

What took so long? I beleieve this capability has been around for nearly a decade, as I've previously discussed. As far as this Japanese Internment Camp treatment for those of the NYY bent, shouldn't they do this for problem posters as well?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Sox only" might just mean that the talk has to be about the Red Sox not other teams. Maybe someone who continually starts "TB Will Not Go Away Part's I, II, III..." could be banned.

Sections
Shortcuts